Sacramento, CA - OTA - Page 3 - AVS Forum

AVS Forum > HDTV > Local HDTV Info and Reception > Sacramento, CA - OTA

Local HDTV Info and Reception

jacmyoung's Avatar jacmyoung
05:37 PM Liked: 10
post #61 of 10272
05-31-2004 | Posts: 4,460
Your right hammer, I shouldn't assume it went full power. It did have the correct channel number since yesterday and on my 811, the signal has finally gone from the dreaded 49% to 72% so I can now watch UPN.

Though is there anything HD on UPN?
hammerdwn's Avatar hammerdwn
06:10 PM Liked: 42
post #62 of 10272
05-31-2004 | Posts: 4,756
Sure, KMAX is HD whenever UPN national feed is HD... ie. Enterprise
Rory Boyce's Avatar Rory Boyce
09:25 PM Liked: 11
post #63 of 10272
05-31-2004 | Posts: 866
FYI

At this time there is a SMUD power failure in the Walnut grove area and a number of the DTV stations are down. They have backup generators for the analogs.
gbubar's Avatar gbubar
09:29 PM Liked: 10
post #64 of 10272
05-31-2004 | Posts: 107
Help...I have lost all but 31-1 and 40-1 on my HDTivo. I powered down the unit started over and still no good. I have checked my antenna and all seems OK. Anyone else having this problem?
09:45 PM Liked: 11
post #65 of 10272
05-31-2004 | Posts: 866
see above
gbubar's Avatar gbubar
09:49 PM Liked: 10
post #66 of 10272
05-31-2004 | Posts: 107
Rory, thanks...I should have read above, but I was in a panic.
JOESMUD's Avatar JOESMUD
10:14 PM Liked: 10
post #67 of 10272
05-31-2004 | Posts: 119
I am still getting fox 40.1 but nothing else.....& I am in Cameron Park behind a hill.

I guess I should apoligize for the "SMUD" outage....Sorry People!!

Joe
videojanitor's Avatar videojanitor
10:16 PM Liked: 14
post #68 of 10272
05-31-2004 | Posts: 3,116
Eyewitness report from our transmitter guy -- somebody wiped out and took out a pole on Twin Cities Rd. -- started a grass fire and all kinds of mayhem. It might be awhile ...

--Bill R..
dmastro's Avatar dmastro
01:30 PM Liked: 10
post #69 of 10272
06-01-2004 | Posts: 70
Woodcreek Oaks in between Pleasant Grove and Blue Oaks here!

I have a single-story house and I want to get set up before my HDTivo arrives. Those of you using the CM antennas, are they roof-mounts or did you place them in the attic (and if so, did you need an amp)? I'd really like to go attic mount, and from everything I'm hearing reception should probably be fine - but I just want to make sure.

2nd question - is there any reason so many people in our area are using the CM's? I thought they are multi-directional; however, all the antennas are in the same general area. Would it be better to use a more dedicated directional antenna?

I'm so confused right now about what to buy.
hmatos's Avatar hmatos
02:14 PM Liked: 10
post #70 of 10272
06-01-2004 | Posts: 390
I'm in Brentwood, in a 2-story and I have a CM 4??? antenna (4 bowtie). It's in the attic and my reception is fine. The only thing I don't get is UPN, but that's because it's low-power.

Hope this helps.

hm

Quote:

Originally posted by dmastro

I have a single-story house and I want to get set up before my HDTivo arrives. Those of you using the CM antennas, are they roof-mounts or did you place them in the attic (and if so, did you need an amp)? I'd really like to go attic mount, and from everything I'm hearing reception should probably be fine - but I just want to make sure.

2nd question - is there any reason so many people in our area are using the CM's? I thought they are multi-directional; however, all the antennas are in the same general area. Would it be better to use a more dedicated directional antenna?

Garrett Adams's Avatar Garrett Adams
09:20 PM Liked: 138
post #71 of 10272
06-01-2004 | Posts: 1,779
Didn't even realize the DT went down last night. I was watching Ike on A&E.
ebandman's Avatar ebandman
11:05 PM Liked: 10
post #72 of 10272
06-01-2004 | Posts: 38
Watched the pilot of Summerland on OTA 58.1 tonite and was pretty impressed with the quality of the broadcast. Even the upconverted commercials seemed better than what I've been seeing on the NBC, CBS, and ABC networks.
Bill Shakespeare's Avatar Bill Shakespeare
12:12 AM Liked: 10
post #73 of 10272
06-02-2004 | Posts: 619
dmastro--
I'm in Woodland with the four-bowtie CM 4221 (aka 3021) mounted in the attic of a single story house. All my signals from Walnut Grove are in the 90-95 range, including KMAX broadcasting at less than full power. I'm also getting Channels 14 and 19 (the later at about 80) in Spanish. 19-1 is from Modesto, and 60 miles away. I'm not sure where 14-1 originates.
07:20 AM Liked: 10
post #74 of 10272
06-02-2004 | Posts: 4,460
19-1 is Univision, their station facility is on Arden Way I believe, are you sure they transmit from Modesto?
08:24 AM Liked: 42
post #75 of 10272
06-02-2004 | Posts: 4,756
Quote:

Originally posted by ebandman
Watched the pilot of Summerland on OTA 58.1 tonite and was pretty impressed with the quality of the broadcast...

I thought 58-1 has been down! For a while the signal was 0% (even before all the stations went down from power outage). Now my 6000 gets 96% signal but no picture or sound, and my Fusion has the same.

Is anyone else able to get picture and sound on 58-1?

Hammer
jbradway's Avatar jbradway
08:37 AM Liked: 10
post #76 of 10272
06-02-2004 | Posts: 346
Quote:

Originally posted by dmastro

I'm off of Washington Blvd and Roseville Parkway. I'm using the 4228 mounted on the chimney of my two story house. I get a great signal on all channels. I've been thinking of mounting in the attic but wasn't sure if I would get a decent reception.
tlrowley's Avatar tlrowley
09:40 AM Liked: 10
post #77 of 10272
06-02-2004 | Posts: 351
Quote:

Originally posted by hammerdwn
I thought 58-1 has been down! For a while the signal was 0% (even before all the stations went down from power outage). Now my 6000 gets 96% signal but no picture or sound, and my Fusion has the same.

Is anyone else able to get picture and sound on 58-1?

Hammer

I have exactly the same symptoms, Hammer. My built-in receiver has a very strong signal, but no picture or sound - my Fusion reports 100%, but nothing to show (or hear) for that 100%!

Tracey
11:06 AM Liked: 42
post #78 of 10272
06-02-2004 | Posts: 4,756
Ok good it wasn't just my setup. I sent emails off last night asking what the deal is... no response yet.
jbalkan@hearst.com
kcraengineering@thekcrachannel.com

Hammer
11:08 AM Liked: 10
post #79 of 10272
06-02-2004 | Posts: 619
jacmyoung,

I was relying on antennaweb.org, which puts digital Channel 18 (19-1) in Modesto, sixty miles away. It makes much more sense that I'm able to pick up a signal from the Arden area. The signal is analog channel 19.
ebandman's Avatar ebandman
11:57 AM Liked: 10
post #80 of 10272
06-02-2004 | Posts: 38
Quote:

Originally posted by tlrowley
I have exactly the same symptoms, Hammer. My built-in receiver has a very strong signal, but no picture or sound - my Fusion reports 100%, but nothing to show (or hear) for that 100%!

Tracey

When I check 58.1 now (11 AM) I also get a strong signal with no picture or sound, so I would assume only when they are getting a WB network feed do we get a picture and sound. Interesting.....
05:04 PM Liked: 11
post #81 of 10272
06-02-2004 | Posts: 866
Channel 18 and 19 broadcast from somewhere east of Modesto. They have a directional transmitting antenna putting most of their signal up this way. Their master control is on Arden way in Sacramento.
12:26 AM Liked: 10
post #82 of 10272
06-03-2004 | Posts: 619
That's interesting. 60 miles from the transmitter. I'm also receiving 14-1, KDTV, the SF Univision station. Any idea where it's transmitter is located?

58-1 is still a full strength, empty signal. However Channel 58's programming is showing at 58-2, while it's PSIP appears on 3-2, which has the same channel 3 programming as 3-1 (with the proper PSIP). [I'm assuming the PSIP is generating the information the Directv HD-Tivo is displaying.

And 6-1 continues to operate without sound, although by receiver "sees" a DD signal. Is anyone getting sound on 6-1?
bcc's Avatar bcc
02:42 AM Liked: 11
post #83 of 10272
06-03-2004 | Posts: 307
Quote:

Originally posted by Bill Shakespeare
And 6-1 continues to operate without sound, although by receiver "sees" a DD signal. Is anyone getting sound on 6-1?

I just started seeing this with my hd-tivo. A week or so ago HD programming on 6-1 was coming in just fine. Now 6-1 is OK for SD programming, but HD programming is mostly without sound. Once a minute or two I'll hear about a half a second of sound. Rewinding reproduces the sound at the same point. Problem occurs regardless of whether I use spdif or analog rca audio connections to my receiver. Problem occurs even when programming is pro-logic, not dolby digital (actually I haven't tested with a dolby digital PBS broadcast).

If I tune into the same shows with a MYHD HD tuner, then the audio plays back just fine. I have in the past (maybe 3 months ago) experienced 6-1 shows where there is no audio via the MYHD tuner. Seems like KVIE sometimes is doing sub-standard (or is it super-standard?) things with their HD stream.
MyGrain's Avatar MyGrain
09:58 AM Liked: 10
post #84 of 10272
06-03-2004 | Posts: 153
Quote:

dmastro--
I'm in Woodland with the four-bowtie CM 4221 (aka 3021) mounted in the attic of a single story house. All my signals from Walnut Grove are in the 90-95 range, including KMAX broadcasting at less than full power. I'm also getting Channels 14 and 19 (the later at about 80) in Spanish. 19-1 is from Modesto, and 60 miles away. I'm not sure where 14-1 originates.

I belive 14 is Univision as well{like 19} that comes from the San Fran area.

Any other San Fran stations you can pick up?

Late night I can get ghostly to snowy and sometimes almost watchable for the curious of all the San frans with a Sensar 100. Thinking up going to a better set up{ something like yours} if anyone has good success, in Sac{ 95831} with those bay area broadcasts. I am just moving from Sonoma County, so, the heart longs for familiar, i guess.
10:04 AM Liked: 10
post #85 of 10272
06-03-2004 | Posts: 619
MyGrain--

The antenna is pointed at Walnut Grove. Perhaps I could receive other SF channels, but it would take a rotation of the antenna. I'm not crawling (literally) back to it until the local stations migrate their digital signals to the VHF frequencies in a couple of years.

Although, I must admit I'm curious about SF reception...
Maybe if something really special was only available that way, I might be back in the attic (there's only one duct I have to low crawl under, the rest is knees on the rafters).
MyGrain's Avatar MyGrain
10:37 AM Liked: 10
post #86 of 10272
06-03-2004 | Posts: 153
Quote:

MyGrain--

The antenna is pointed at Walnut Grove. Perhaps I could receive other SF channels, but it would take a rotation of the antenna. I'm not crawling (literally) back to it until the local stations migrate their digital signals to the VHF frequencies in a couple of years.

Although, I must admit I'm curious about SF reception...
Maybe if something really special was only available that way, I might be back in the attic (there's only one duct I have to low crawl under, the rest is knees on the rafters).

I see. Hrmm..learning more and more. When/if I upgrade the antenna situation I may include pre-amp and roter. Giants games on KTVU 2, Kron 4 morning news, Raider pre games on KICU 36. Stuff I'll miss..maybe.

Thanks for the reply, by the way!

..Scott
06:05 PM Liked: 10
post #87 of 10272
06-03-2004 | Posts: 4,460
No you will not. Sometimes we get SF signals in the summer, only due to special weather conditions. Some of us had tried NASA grade antenna on the roof but the law of physics simply does not let us get reliable signals from 90 miles away.
sacshack's Avatar sacshack
08:51 PM Liked: 10
post #88 of 10272
06-03-2004 | Posts: 2
Just to echo my earlier post, this was in J. Freedom DuLac's Media Savvy section in today's Bee:

Quote:

In the curious calculus of the television business, one local station's upper-management change can send people reeling inside two different broadcast buildings.
Consider the reaction to the news last week that a former CNBC suit, Bruno Cohen, was replacing Tom Tucker as vice president and general manager at Sacramento's UPN-31 (KMAX).

The announcement put the folks at KMAX on edge - where they're likely to remain beyond Cohen's June 17 start date.

"We're all anxious," a station source says. "Nobody knows what's going to happen."

Apparently, that's also the case at Channel 13 (KOVR), where the KMAX management change has given new life to two old rumors:

That media giant Viacom might move its CBS affiliation in Sacramento to KMAX, which is currently a UPN affiliate, and that Viacom is also trying to acquire KOVR outright. (Viacom owns the UPN and CBS networks, along with 39 TV stations - including KMAX.)

"You wouldn't believe how nervous everybody is," says one KOVR insider. "People are crazed."

Another station source says the Viacom chatter dominates discussion. "People here are all freaked out," the source says.

But if Cohen's installment in the executive suite at KMAX is a sign of significant change to come in Sacramento, the Viacom suits aren't saying. At least not publicly.

Privately, a company source indicates that "there's nothing too hot and heavy right now" on either the affiliation or ownership front.

Yet, when asked in a phone interview to address the persistent Sacramento rumors, Dennis Swanson - the executive vice president and chief operating officer of Viacom's Television Stations Group division - says only this:

"Those are hypothetical questions, and a long time ago, I made myself a promise not to answer hypothetical questions. Obviously, the rumor mill is at work. But what we're focused on right now is KMAX - which we own, which is a UPN station and where an experienced manager, Bruno Cohen, is coming in.

"We think there is the potential to grow the station, and we think there's a potential for greater involvement out of that station vis-a-vis our other stations in California. That's really where our focus is."

Besides KMAX, Viacom has four other California stations - two each in Los Angeles and San Francisco, where it owns and operates the CBS and UPN affiliates.

The company currently has eight such "duopolies" across the country, and it's widely known that Viacom previously tried for a ninth, talking with KOVR's corporate owner, Sinclair Broadcast Group, about selling or trading its Sacramento property.

Negotiations are said to have stalled over Sinclair's asking price, said to be in the $400 million to $450 million range. (Sinclair spokesman Mark Hyman was unavailable for comment.)

Even if nothing happens on the ownership front - an issue that's complicated by federal regulations that would prohibit Viacom from taking on KOVR without trimming its station roster elsewhere - it's still possible change could come at KOVR.

The station's affiliation deal with CBS is set to expire early next year. There's speculation it may not be renewed by CBS parent Viacom, which could then move CBS to KMAX.

As the rumor mill grinds on, KMAX staggers forward and awaits the arrival of its new boss.

Though Swanson says change at the top was made because KMAX "had plateaued," he does not foresee a staffing shakeup.

"I think we just need to take what's there and grow beyond that," Swanson says. "That's really what the charge to Bruno is. He'll go in there and he'll make those evaluations on the people who work for him. But I wouldn't think that there's any need for wholesale change in the station."

That's also true of the station's local news programming: the infotainment-style shows "Good Day Sacramento" and "Good Evening Sacramento."

No traditional news, Swanson says. And no chance that the end is near for "Good Evening Sacramento," which has struggled to find its identity - and audience - since its launch last summer.

"It's an experiment that's worth continuing and working with," Swanson says. "I think it will be a challenge for Bruno to work with the folks there and see if we can't move the show to a higher level. But that we're doing a live evening hour in Sacramento is a good thing."

Not so good, though, are the frayed nerves at KMAX. Not that Swanson is surprised.

"When change occurs, there's always some uncertainty and discombobulation," he says. "Hopefully, everybody will calm down and do their jobs. If they do a good job, they won't have anything to worry about."

It looks like CBS HDTV over Comcast may be coming to Sacramento soon...
07:16 AM Liked: 10
post #89 of 10272
06-04-2004 | Posts: 4,460
If so, it will also be availlable to Dish and DirecTV subs.
08:12 AM Liked: 10
post #90 of 10272
06-04-2004 | Posts: 619
jacmyoung-
Dbs subscribers already receive CBS HDTV from 13-1 over the air with antennas. Comcast apparently hasn't been able to agree with the Sinclair Group over the financial arrangements that would permit it to carry the HDTV signal on local cable. Comcast and Viacom would probably settle the issue quickly, allowing cable subscribers to receive the digital signal.

Did I get that right?

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Subscribe to this Thread