Sacramento, CA - OTA - Page 335 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 05-01-2014, 11:21 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Here's an example that I believe must be evidence of indoor multipath. I replaced a television that was having difficulties with one that is more than twice as big. Would reception change? I thought it might some, but here's what I've seen so far. I've done several scans. The antenna is the same. KVIE, which was the less reliable VHF, now is more so. Fox 40, which has been a problem ever since the transition in the room, won't lock. I have scanned it in. 42.1 was first scanned in on the old set more than 5 years ago. It was pretty much never locking. Today, I scanned it in. It locked with no problems. In the past 5 years, I've tried several antennas in this room. Even with more antenna gain, Diablo was a problem. Today, it wasn't. Maybe today was a perfect inversion for Diablo. We'll see. In addition, for the Walnut Grove signals, I've had to change location and height for both VHF and UHF channels.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-11-2014, 06:50 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 178
Bob,

There was an audio problem on Friday's delayed broadcast of Whose Line and Hart of Dixie after the game. My receiver said DD but all audio was from the left front speaker.

S~

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself
Old 05-11-2014, 01:01 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 57

Today will be a very good test of my antenna rotators, the wind is incessant and strong, trees are bowing , shaking and dancing non-stop. 

@Calaveras @Larry Kenney In windy conditions such as this, if it is strong enough to turn the antenna at all, you are best leaving it that way, to prevent any additional strain on the gears? If it will turn it against the internal brake, I know they are test rated at 70+ miles an hour, but I would rather be off point aimed for a day, than put additional unnecessary strain.

Josh
Old 05-11-2014, 02:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Josh... I used to have a terrible time keeping my rotors aligned due to the wind making the antennas turn against the brake. We get a lot of real gusty wind here and that's brutal on the rotors. I'd have to go through a realignment at least two or three times a week. One rotor broke during a real windy day last July, then the other one quit working in October. In December both rotors were removed and not replaced, so all of my antennas are fixed now. There are times when I wish I had rotors up there, but it was getting to be too much of a problem and too expensive to keep replacing them, so I gave up.

Larry

My complete SF Bay Area DTV Station Lists: http://www.choisser.com/sfonair.html
Lots of Broadcasting links and information: http://www.choisser.com/broadcast.html

Check out photos and info on my antennas: http://www. larrykenney.com/tvantennas.html

Old 05-11-2014, 03:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Liked: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theducksfan2010 View Post

Today will be a very good test of my antenna rotators, the wind is incessant and strong, trees are bowing , shaking and dancing non-stop. 

In windy conditions such as this, if it is strong enough to turn the antenna at all, you are best leaving it that way, to prevent any additional strain on the gears. If it will turn it against the internal brake, I know they are test rated at 70+ miles an hour, but I would rather be off point aimed for a day, than put additional unnecessary strain.

IMO there are no TV antenna rotors worth spending my money on. I know that makes people cringe but if a rotor can't handle a TV antenna in just about any wind without turning or breaking then it isn't much of a rotor. You should not be worrying about the wind we have today damaging your rotor with a TV antenna on it. There are no high end TV rotors so your only choice is a low end ham rotor. I know people think those are ridiculously expensive but sometimes things just don't come at the price levels you think they ought to.

A really good used rotor is this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ALLIANCE-HD73-ANTENNA-ROTOR-SYSTEM-/181403548032?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a3c7e7980

But you'll need this to go along with it to mount it on a mast.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ALLIIANCE-HD-73-ANTENNA-HAM-CB-ROTOR-ROTATOR-MAST-BRACKET-ORIGINAL-OEM-/161278124627?pt=US_Radio_Comm_Antennas&hash=item258cece253

This is about the least amount of money you can pay for a decent rotor. The next step up is a Yaesu G-450 with lower bracket runs around $400.

Chuck
Old 05-11-2014, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calaveras View Post

IMO there are no TV antenna rotors worth spending my money on. I know that makes people cringe but if a rotor can't handle a TV antenna in just about any wind without turning or breaking then it isn't much of a rotor. You should not be worrying about the wind we have today damaging your rotor with a TV antenna on it. There are no high end TV rotors so your only choice is a low end ham rotor. I know people think those are ridiculously expensive but sometimes things just don't come at the price levels you think they ought to.

A really good used rotor is this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ALLIANCE-HD73-ANTENNA-ROTOR-SYSTEM-/181403548032?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a3c7e7980

But you'll need this to go along with it to mount it on a mast.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ALLIIANCE-HD-73-ANTENNA-HAM-CB-ROTOR-ROTATOR-MAST-BRACKET-ORIGINAL-OEM-/161278124627?pt=US_Radio_Comm_Antennas&hash=item258cece253

This is about the least amount of money you can pay for a decent rotor. The next step up is a Yaesu G-450 with lower bracket runs around $400.

Chuck

Remember my rotor has to antennas on it, one a foot above (yours) and the 91XG 5 ft above it, so I have a lot of drag on it and coming from way above it, It is holding up pretty well I think for 40 ft above the ground. Do you agree?

The one thing I like about mine now is the remote control and multiple preset locations.

I think I will have to leave it up until the wind kills it, at which point I will replace it with your above suggestions. Hopefully go another 20 ft up at the same time as well.

Josh
Old 05-11-2014, 04:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Remember my rotor has to antennas on it, one a foot above (yours) and the 91XG 5 ft above it, so I have a lot of drag on it and coming from way above it, It is holding up pretty well I think for 40 ft above the ground. Do you agree?

Let's hope it continues to hold up.

Quote:
The one think I like about mine now is the remote control and multiple preset locations.

Another advantage of the ham rotors is that they have a position indicator so they never get out of sync. Presets are less common because the antenna may need to point in any direction making them less useful.

Chuck
Old 05-11-2014, 05:15 PM

ANYONE ELSE NOTICE THINGS LIKE THIS??

From the latest episode of NCIS: Los Angeles. Thats an old school tv, with rabbit ears, no converter box, no way it would still be any good, lol. Was on screen for like 2 seconds in a rolling pan.

I also notice things like the new KIA commercials, While the lady is talking, the house in the background (her house) has a big ol tv antenna on top of it.

I really am a nerd, lol.

Josh
Old 05-12-2014, 04:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:

ANYONE ELSE NOTICE THINGS LIKE THIS??

From the latest episode of NCIS: Los Angeles. Thats an old school tv, with rabbit ears, no converter box, no way it would still be any good, lol. Was on screen for like 2 seconds in a rolling pan.

I also notice things like the new KIA commercials, While the lady is talking, the house in the background (her house) has a big ol tv antenna on top of it.

I really am a nerd, lol.

Wal*mart was selling tube type "DTV-SDTV" sets .... up until as recently as.... 2012
So maybe around 2% of tube type sets >> actually don't need any converters.

Some drugstores such as walgreens, were selling black & white 13" sets up until about 2001
They were priced around 39 to 49 bucks.
Black & white sets are getting kinda rare now........... Even more rare ..... is the modern "solid-state" ones like mentioned above....(No tubes)
Feeling kinda retro ? biggrin.gif
Old 05-12-2014, 04:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 143

Here in Stockton my 34 year old Alliance Tenna-Rotor atop a 40 foot mast has performed without a hitch. Are the newer rotors less robust?

Old 05-12-2014, 05:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by teachsac View Post

Bob,

There was an audio problem on Friday's delayed broadcast of Whose Line and Hart of Dixie after the game. My receiver said DD but all audio was from the left front speaker.

S~

Yes, we had a problem with a decoder. Fixed now.
teachsac likes this.
Old 05-12-2014, 06:27 PM
Super Moderator

Thanks Bob.

S~

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself
Old 05-12-2014, 09:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett Adams View Post

Here in Stockton my 34 year old Alliance Tenna-Rotor atop a 40 foot mast has performed without a hitch. Are the newer rotors less robust?

I assume it's a U-100 or similar number. They all used the same rotor, just different control boxes. The U-100 was a very good rotor and more than up to the task to turn the largest TV antenna. As long as the rotor capacitor doesn't fail (which is common) the rotor will turn forever. Greasing it might be a good idea.

The new rotors are not nearly as good as a U-100.

Chuck
Old 05-14-2014, 08:47 AM
Super Moderator

Ch. 10 ABC

Is anyone else experiencing really bad breakup on Ch 10? Trying to figure if it is a station issue or Comcast. Still bad this morning. Last night's recordings were unwatchable.

S~

Old 05-17-2014, 11:22 AM
AVS Special Member

For those with good antennas, KEMO has added another sub-channel, 50.2, the BOLD TV Network. It appears to be another network of older TV shows like ME-TV, Antenna TV and Retro TV.

Larry
SF

Lots of Broadcasting links and information: http://www.choisser.com/broadcast.html

Check out photos and info on my antennas: http://www. larrykenney.com/tvantennas.html

Old 05-19-2014, 07:44 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Hess View Post

Yes, we had a problem with a decoder. Fixed now.
Worked fine Friday.

S~

Old 05-24-2014, 04:31 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Does anyone have any idea what happened with KTNC 42.4, now 42.5?

They added a new subchannel, but instead of adding the new oldies station to the new subchannel, they "bumped" the subchannels all up a subchannel. The old 42.4, now moved to 42.5, shows up in the PSIP, but it has been a test pattern 24/7 for couple of weeks now.
Old 06-01-2014, 09:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Last night while watching KCRA it went out on me. This morning I did a channel scan and tons of channels are weak signal. KCRA and KVIE were out yet KXTV worked with full signal strength (strange cause it's further than the rest).

Living room theater set-up:  
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1124-K.
Speakers/Sub: (4) NHT Classic Two and an NHT TwoC center + PSA-XV15 subwoofer.
HTPC: z97 mobo, 16GB mem, i5-4440, SSD+HD, LG BD drive, Win 8.1 pro w/WMC + MB3.
Content sources: OTA Winegard HD7698P, Amazon Fire TV Stick, Netflix etc.
HDTV: Sharp LC-60SQ15U (ehhh).
Old 06-01-2014, 01:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhughy2010 View Post

Last night while watching KCRA it went out on me. This morning I did a channel scan and tons of channels are weak signal. KCRA and KVIE were out yet KXTV worked with full signal strength (strange cause it's further than the rest).

The temperature inversions are at it again. KCRA (and others) were out here the last two mornings. KVIE was the only Walnut Grove station unaffected. I think it's because of their low gain antenna.OTOH Salinas stations have been booming.

Chuck
jhughy2010 likes this.
Old 06-01-2014, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calaveras View Post

The temperature inversions are at it again. KCRA (and others) were out here the last two mornings. KVIE was the only Walnut Grove station unaffected. I think it's because of their low gain antenna.OTOH Salinas stations have been booming.

Chuck

Do you ever lose KSBW 8?

Josh
Old 06-01-2014, 02:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Do you ever lose KSBW 8?

No. Salinas stations are unusual. They frequently go up but seldom go down below their nominal levels. I wish that was true of Walnut Grove which is mostly the opposite.
Old 06-01-2014, 03:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I lived in Houston, then moved to Sacramento where I am now. In Houston PBS and CW broadcast in 1080i. In Sacramento those stations broadcast in 720p. There is a stark difference in picture quality, with the Houston stations providing better picture quality than the Sacramento ones. PBS in Sacramento is so bad I might as well be watching SD. I was just wondering if anyone else who move around notice anything similar.
Old 06-01-2014, 04:20 PM
AVS Special Member

You should post this over on the Sacramento thread. I'm going to do a close comparison of KQED 9 (1080i) and KVIE at 5:30 tonight when they're airing the same program. Any chance you can get KQED at your location?
Old 06-01-2014, 05:29 PM

K13ZL-D

Does anyone know anything about K13ZL-D? I have never seen it on or anything about it before today. It was in earlier with a strong signal, but no picture??

@Calaveras, So you never lose the signal on KSBW (I think I did once for around 10 minutes)? But you do lose the Sacramento stations? I know you have said you also lose SF stations, so what do you use to record network programming with your DVR reliably??

Josh
Old 06-01-2014, 05:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 14
No, I don't get KQED at my location. I just watched King of Queens in 1080i on CW in Sacramento. The quality is good. I was wrong to say that only the Houston stations broadcast in 1080i. The stations in Sacramento do too. Anyway, to my eyes, 1080i looks way better. I recorded a some of my favorite comedy shows such as Seinfeld and Two and a half men in 1080i when I was in Houston. I have also recorded a the same shows in 720p here in Sacramento. There is no comparison. The shows in 1080i look a lot better than 720p.
Old 06-01-2014, 06:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

K13ZL-D

Does anyone know anything about K13ZL-D? I have never seen it on or anything about it before today. It was in earlier with a strong signal, but no picture??

How do you know what station it was? Did the TV show the call sign? It's never been on the air. Maybe it's about ready to come on. That'll probably be the end of Reno and Salinas for you. I hope I can't see it. I don't want to lose KCBA. TVFool says K13ZL should be NM -13 dB and KCBA -27 dB. I hope it's wrong about K13ZL.

Quote:
@Calaveras
, So you never lose the signal on KSBW (I think I did once for around 10 minutes)? But you do lose the Sacramento stations? I know you have said you also lose SF stations, so what do you use to record network programming with your DVR reliably??

KSBW is right in the middle of KVIE and KXTV in terms of signal strength but doesn't have the mulitpath issues of KXTV. I have never lost KVIE. That's the only station that is true of from Walnut Grove. Anything from Sutro is very unreliable here although KQED and KBCW are pretty good. I've been recording off of Walnut Grove for some years now. Rarely does a station just go away for an entire program. Most of the losses last only a few minutes. I just put up with it. If a show is really messed up I can watch it on Hulu.

Chuck
Old 06-01-2014, 07:06 PM
AVS Special Member

I did a careful comparison between KQED and KVIE on the PBS News Hour weekly show. I could do a quick A/B comparison with the antenna halfway between the two stations. KQED might be a little better but it was very close. I certainly wouldn't call KVIE SD quality.

Aren't the networks all standardized on either 1080i or 720p except PBS?
Old 06-01-2014, 07:28 PM
AVS Special Member

The June issue of the Worldwide TV-FM DX Association "VHF-UHF Digest" was released today. In the TV News section is the following from the California listing:

Petaluma 3 K14MW QC from 14, 1.2kw,
37-55-45/ 122-35-09; CC to K03HY, CL to San Francisco

Redding 42,44
K42JQ,
K44KG
PG to 100w, 40-36-40/ 122-22-51; NW

San Francisco 3 K03HY PR to 2.5kw

Santa Rosa 4 KTVJ-LP DC from 36, 300w,
37-55-45/ 122-35-09; CL to Petaluma; PC to 1.2kw

Santa Rosa 26 K26JV PR to 3kw

CC=Callsign change
CL=City of License change
DC=DC Converted to DTV
NW=New station on air
PC=Power (and/or tower height) change on the air
PG=Power change granted
PR=Power change requested
QC=QC Channel (frequency) change on the air

Thought some of you might be interested in seeing this information.

From what Keith wrote, the power request for K03HY has been granted.

Larry
SF
jhughy2010 likes this.

Old 06-01-2014, 07:28 PM

@Calaveras

Yes, I got the call sign from the stations PSIP information, only way I had any idea it wasn't Reno.

Josh
Old 06-02-2014, 05:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 77
It's far more likely to be a bit- rate issue causing a perception of quality difference rather than the screen resolution. It might also be an issue with your TV set in how it handles non-native resolutions which would require internal conversion.