Sacramento, CA - OTA - Page 337 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
First ... 335  336  337 338  339  ... Last
Local HDTV Info and Reception > Sacramento, CA - OTA
Larry Kenney's Avatar Larry Kenney 02:05 AM 07-30-2014
I received the August issue of the Worldwide TV-FM DX Association digest today, and it had the following FCC update information for stations in Modesto:
KEXT-CD, channel 27, application for digital service has been canceled.
K49EO, channel 49, has received approval for a power increase to 175 watts. Has anyone seen this channel on the air yet?

Larry
SF

Calaveras's Avatar Calaveras 10:02 AM 07-30-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Kenney View Post
I received the August issue of the Worldwide TV-FM DX Association digest today, and it had the following FCC update information for stations in Modesto:
KEXT-CD, channel 27, application for digital service has been canceled.
K49EO, channel 49, has received approval for a power increase to 175 watts. Has anyone seen this channel on the air yet?

Larry
SF
KEXT has been a mystery to me. They're part of the KUVS-KTFK-KEZT-KEXT group. They're a Class A station and have a great site, covering a large area with low power and no competition on channel 27 yet they're squandering it. It's a wasted channel showing the same UniMas programming as KUVS and KTFK that cover the same area. I've attached an image showing the overlapping Service Contours of these 4 stations. KEXT and KEZT are useless and with a better choice of antennas for KTFK, KUVS is just a duplicate too. That's 3 wasted channels in this area.

K49EO analog has been gone for a long time. Somehow I missed their digital application. Even if they come back on the air, is anyone going to see them? Look at their service contour.

https://maps.google.com/?q=http://tr...state%3DCA.kml

Chuck
Attached: KUVS-KTFK-KEZT-KEXT-Contours.jpg (463.4 KB) 
ftateche's Avatar ftateche 10:01 AM 08-02-2014
Drifting skip conditions this morning - I was receiving KNVN (24.1), Antenna (24.2) and Accuwx (24.5) from NE of Red Bluff at 0530 - 0600, then KHSL about 0600-0700. KBTV came in well too. Info button on the iview showed a signal level of 65% to 72% on KNVN, and a bit higher on the other channels.

91XG, LNA200, Iview 3500STB-II
Larry Kenney's Avatar Larry Kenney 02:32 PM 08-02-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by ftateche View Post
Drifting skip conditions this morning - I was receiving KNVN (24.1), Antenna (24.2) and Accuwx (24.5) from NE of Red Bluff at 0530 - 0600, then KHSL about 0600-0700. KBTV came in well too. Info button on the iview showed a signal level of 65% to 72% on KNVN, and a bit higher on the other channels.

91XG, LNA200, Iview 3500STB-II
That's really good Tropo reception, probably about 230 miles or so for KNVN! Is that your most distant station? It's my most distant, at ~175 miles from San Francisco.

Is your antenna on a rotor? If so, what kind of distant signals do you get from other directions?

Larry
ftateche's Avatar ftateche 03:49 PM 08-02-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Kenney View Post
That's really good Tropo reception, probably about 230 miles or so for KNVN! Is that your most distant station? It's my most distant, at ~175 miles from San Francisco.

Is your antenna on a rotor? If so, what kind of distant signals do you get from other directions?

Larry
Thanks for the reply, Larry. My straight line distance from KNVN is slightly over 214 miles at a compass direction of 339 degrees. My antenna, which is not currently mounted on a rotor, is pointed at 322 degrees (toward my normal target of KTXL 78 miles away). So my antenna was pointed 17 degrees left of the maximum signal, which means that I really should put the rotor up there (I have a new one in the box). There are a few improvements I should make so I can fine tune these rare signals...

I attached two pictures, one taken with my phone, and another from a screen cap of the playback of a recorded file.
Attached: KNVN Cap.jpg (132.8 KB)  KNVN Playback.jpg (133.3 KB) 
ftateche's Avatar ftateche 04:07 PM 08-02-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Kenney View Post
That's really good Tropo reception, probably about 230 miles or so for KNVN! Is that your most distant station? It's my most distant, at ~175 miles from San Francisco.

Is your antenna on a rotor? If so, what kind of distant signals do you get from other directions?

Larry
Added: As far as signals in other directions (other than Salinas and SFO, I picked up Bakersfield channels KBTF, KABE, and KUVI on 7/27/14 and on many other occasions. That's about 170 miles south from my location
Trip in VA's Avatar Trip in VA 07:25 PM 08-02-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calaveras View Post
KEXT has been a mystery to me. They're part of the KUVS-KTFK-KEZT-KEXT group. They're a Class A station and have a great site, covering a large area with low power and no competition on channel 27 yet they're squandering it. It's a wasted channel showing the same UniMas programming as KUVS and KTFK that cover the same area.
KEXT-CA and KEZT-CA were the original affiliates of Telefutura (now Unimas) back when the network launched in 2001 or 2002. Univision didn't buy KTFK until 2003, and even then, until the transition in 2009, KTFK transmitted from Mount Diablo which may have presented signal issues in the target cities of Sacramento and Stockton if the viewer's antenna was aimed for Angel's Camp where KUVS and KCSO were/are located.

After that, I guess no offers came along that made Univision want to sell those signals.

- Trip
Calaveras's Avatar Calaveras 08:37 AM 08-04-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip in VA View Post
KEXT-CA and KEZT-CA were the original affiliates of Telefutura (now Unimas) back when the network launched in 2001 or 2002. Univision didn't buy KTFK until 2003, and even then, until the transition in 2009, KTFK transmitted from Mount Diablo which may have presented signal issues in the target cities of Sacramento and Stockton if the viewer's antenna was aimed for Angel's Camp where KUVS and KCSO were/are located.

After that, I guess no offers came along that made Univision want to sell those signals.

- Trip
Mt. Diablo might be an issue for some in the valley but it's a great location for me. When KTFK was on 63 (or was it 62?) it had the highest SNR on my old Sony of any station... 34 dB. I wish all the Sacramento stations were there.

KEXT is off the air this morning. We'll see if that means anything or whether someone just needs to go turn it back on.

Chuck
tmanXX's Avatar tmanXX 04:22 PM 08-06-2014
So, I finally cut the cord. I live in Antelope and currently have a cheap indoor antenna up on my wall and its only getting me like 4 stations at 100%. I want to get a much better antenna and am looking for advice on which direction to go.
Wondering if I could get away with a good, amplified indoor antenna or if I would need a large, bowtie, multi-directional outdoor. And if it were the outdoor, could I get away with it in my attic, mounted to my pergola, or would it need to be at the top of my chimney?

What are others in the area using for good reception?


FYI, here is my signal plot: http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...e1c6a35743c684

Thanks,

Dan
linguica101's Avatar linguica101 04:49 PM 08-06-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmanXX View Post
So, I finally cut the cord. I live in Antelope and currently have a cheap indoor antenna up on my wall and its only getting me like 4 stations at 100%. I want to get a much better antenna and am looking for advice on which direction to go.
Wondering if I could get away with a good, amplified indoor antenna or if I would need a large, bowtie, multi-directional outdoor. And if it were the outdoor, could I get away with it in my attic, mounted to my pergola, or would it need to be at the top of my chimney?

What are others in the area using for good reception?


FYI, here is my signal plot: http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...e1c6a35743c684

Thanks,

Dan
I'm in Roseville, I have a Clearstream C2-V that I could sell to you. (I upgraded to a large outdoor antenna from Radio Shack). It can be mounted outdoors or indoors in an attic or what not. It works good, the range is a little hit or miss for VHF channels (6.1 and 10.1).

PM if you're interested.
deltaguy's Avatar deltaguy 12:09 AM 08-07-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmanXX View Post
So, I finally cut the cord. I live in Antelope and currently have a cheap indoor antenna up on my wall and its only getting me like 4 stations at 100%. I want to get a much better antenna and am looking for advice on which direction to go.
Wondering if I could get away with a good, amplified indoor antenna or if I would need a large, bowtie, multi-directional outdoor. And if it were the outdoor, could I get away with it in my attic, mounted to my pergola, or would it need to be at the top of my chimney?

What are others in the area using for good reception?


FYI, here is my signal plot: http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...e1c6a35743c684

Thanks,

Dan
Your TVFool report is almost identical to mine. I receive all stations indoors from Walnut Grove, but not all from a single antenna location. I don't receive all in a room where the window faces the wrong way. Indoor reception has to be learned over time. The stations you get at 100% don't guarantee your antenna is aimed/located properly for the others. While I have an amplified indoor antenna, I'm not using it currently. I've had better success without an amp. I've a 2-bay, but it is also not being used for Walnut Grove. It's too much trouble to move around for best aim/location. An antenna near a window facing south is your best option. If you don't have that window, trial and error and patience will be needed. Good Luck.
Calaveras's Avatar Calaveras 02:28 PM 08-07-2014
There have been some developments with KEXT-CA Modesto. I've been wondering for some time what was going to happen to this station, the last of the local analog stations that I can receive. Most people wouldn't care but it has a very strong signal here, a full quieting picture.

On July 31, 2014 UniMas (owner of KEXT) filed a notice with the FCC for sale of KEXT to Central Valley Television based in Los Angeles. The sale price is mere $5000! Of course it is an analog station and most of the physical assets are likely worthless.

https://licensing.fcc.gov/cdbs/CDBS_...um=1&exhcnum=1

Also of note is that their digital station construction permit was cancelled on June 23, 2014.

On August 4, 2014 Central Valley Television filed an STA with the FCC for silent operation along with this statement:

THE APPLICANT RECENTLY ACQUIRED THIS FACILITY AND HAS TAKEN THE STATION OFF THE AIR TEMPORARILY IN ORDER TO BUILD ITS DIGITAL FACILITY. APPLICANT EXPECTS TO BEGIN CONSTRUCTION OF THE DIGITAL FACILITY IMMEDIATELY UPON GRANT OF THE CONSTRUCTION PERMIT.

The station did go off the air on Aug 4.

They also filed for a station license renewal.

So far they have not filed a new application for a construction permit. I'll keep an eye out for that. They sound like they're serious about converting the station to digital so maybe a new application will show up soon.

I can't find any information on Central Valley Television so I have no idea what sort of programming they might offer.

Chuck
Calaveras's Avatar Calaveras 02:45 PM 08-07-2014
K49EO in Modesto, the old TBN analog translator that's been off the air for some time, was granted a construction permit for a 175 watt digital station on July 21, 2014. Today they filed for a License to Cover the construction permit which is telling the FCC that they are on the air.

I see no indication at all that they are on the air. I receive KSTS on RF 49 here and another station on 49 ought to have some impact on it. I see no difference at all and KSTS still comes in pointed exactly where K49EO is supposed to be.

Is there someone around Modesto that could look on RF 49 to check for K49EO?

Chuck
ftateche's Avatar ftateche 10:28 AM 08-08-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calaveras View Post
K49EO in Modesto, the old TBN analog translator that's been off the air for some time, was granted a construction permit for a 175 watt digital station on July 21, 2014. Today they filed for a License to Cover the construction permit which is telling the FCC that they are on the air.

I see no indication at all that they are on the air. I receive KSTS on RF 49 here and another station on 49 ought to have some impact on it. I see no difference at all and KSTS still comes in pointed exactly where K49EO is supposed to be.

Is there someone around Modesto that could look on RF 49 to check for K49EO?

Chuck
Chuck, I swung my HD-Stacker around and pointed it directly at the coordinates of K49EO and did not pick up anything on digital or analog. The transmitter is located just over 29 miles from my location, but the service contour is within a small circle that goes no further south than Ceres. I called a friend who lives inside the service area (about 2 or 3 miles from the station) and he will check the signal later tonight (he was on the way to Monterey for a fishing trip). He does not remember any signal at this time (he has a DB8 antenna above his two story roof).

My antenna was picking up most of the SFO channels just fine at the same time (0800 today) when I moved it left another 15 degrees. (KTVU, KPIX, KOFY, KRCB, KMTP, KTNC, KBCW)

Service contour map here: https://maps.google.com/?q=http://tr...state%3DCA.kml

Screen Grab picture of tower attached:

By the way, thank you for posting the service contour links on your DTV page.....
Attached: K49EO tower.jpg (122.4 KB) 
tmanXX's Avatar tmanXX 11:13 AM 08-08-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by linguica101 View Post
I'm in Roseville, I have a Clearstream C2-V that I could sell to you. (I upgraded to a large outdoor antenna from Radio Shack). It can be mounted outdoors or indoors in an attic or what not. It works good, the range is a little hit or miss for VHF channels (6.1 and 10.1).

PM if you're interested.
Thanx linguica, but after doing more research, I have decided on which way I want to go. Gonna pick up a new $32 Antennacraft.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deltaguy View Post
Your TVFool report is almost identical to mine. I receive all stations indoors from Walnut Grove, but not all from a single antenna location. I don't receive all in a room where the window faces the wrong way. Indoor reception has to be learned over time. The stations you get at 100% don't guarantee your antenna is aimed/located properly for the others. While I have an amplified indoor antenna, I'm not using it currently. I've had better success without an amp. I've a 2-bay, but it is also not being used for Walnut Grove. It's too much trouble to move around for best aim/location. An antenna near a window facing south is your best option. If you don't have that window, trial and error and patience will be needed. Good Luck.
I have an inexpensive RCA indoor right now on a southern facing wall. I first tried it in the window and it was really bad. Now, on the wall, I get about 4 stations as good, about 4 more as 50%. At my house, I don't think buying the indoor is the way to go. I am gonna pick up an outside and mount it high. Should take care of all the signals I want and then some. Thanx for your response.
wndhh1 11:46 AM 08-08-2014
KBTV-CD will be moving to RF Channel 27 in early September. Same power as we are on Ch. 51. --Bill H.
Calaveras's Avatar Calaveras 12:36 PM 08-08-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by ftateche View Post
Chuck, I swung my HD-Stacker around and pointed it directly at the coordinates of K49EO and did not pick up anything on digital or analog. The transmitter is located just over 29 miles from my location, but the service contour is within a small circle that goes no further south than Ceres. I called a friend who lives inside the service area (about 2 or 3 miles from the station) and he will check the signal later tonight (he was on the way to Monterey for a fishing trip). He does not remember any signal at this time (he has a DB8 antenna above his two story roof).
The License to Cover was filed on Aug 7 so they would have just started up on Aug 6. My money is that they are not on air, another case of lying to the FCC.

Chuck
Calaveras's Avatar Calaveras 12:38 PM 08-08-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by wndhh1 View Post
KBTV-CD will be moving to RF Channel 27 in early September. Same power as we are on Ch. 51. --Bill H.
Thanks for the heads up. I see that the antenna pattern is much different, protecting KEXT-CA to the south I assume.

Chuck
Trip in VA's Avatar Trip in VA 02:00 PM 08-08-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calaveras View Post
K49EO in Modesto, the old TBN analog translator that's been off the air for some time, was granted a construction permit for a 175 watt digital station on July 21, 2014. Today they filed for a License to Cover the construction permit which is telling the FCC that they are on the air.
The license to cover that I see is for an analog license.

- Trip
Calaveras's Avatar Calaveras 02:47 PM 08-08-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip in VA View Post
The license to cover that I see is for an analog license.

- Trip
You're right. But that makes no sense at all. Ten months ago they filed an STA for silent operation because they lost their tower lease and now they're back on from the same location with lower power and the antenna pointed in a different direction?

I used to see K49EO analog very weakly even with KSTS on the same channel when K49EO had their antenna pointed south. Now it's pointed right at me and I see nothing. I don't believe they're on the air.

Chuck
wndhh1 04:51 PM 08-08-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calaveras View Post
Thanks for the heads up. I see that the antenna pattern is much different, protecting KEXT-CA to the south I assume.

Chuck
Yes.
Calaveras's Avatar Calaveras 09:47 AM 08-12-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by wndhh1 View Post
KBTV-CD will be moving to RF Channel 27 in early September. Same power as we are on Ch. 51. --Bill H.
Looks like your new antenna protecting KEXT-CA is all for naught. You should file an amendment for a new antenna to restore your coverage. Why?

Today the FCC granted a construction permit for a digital companion channel KEXT-LD on RF 20 that will be located on Mt. Allison in Fremont at the KSTS transmitter site. KEXT-CA on RF 27 is unlikely to return with just a year before the LPTV analog shutdown. With KEXT-CA off the air and their new digital station on RF 20 there is nothing to protect on RF 27 to the south of Sacramento.

LPTV game playing never ceases to amaze me.

Chuck
Larry Kenney's Avatar Larry Kenney 07:30 PM 08-12-2014
I'll have to keep an eye out for KEXT on 20. That's where low power KAXT 42 (virual 1) is transmitting from and I get them okay here in the city.

Thanks for the info.

Larry
SF
pez906's Avatar pez906 09:32 PM 08-14-2014
Is anyone having trouble receiving KOVR.
I am in Citrus Heights.
deltaguy's Avatar deltaguy 11:01 PM 08-14-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by pez906 View Post
Is anyone having trouble receiving KOVR.
I am in Citrus Heights.
I just switched on the news. Everything normal here.
Theducksfan2010's Avatar Theducksfan2010 12:32 AM 08-15-2014
KUVS 19 (RF 18) is now

19.1 Univision
64.2 KTFK.2 UniMas
19.3 Bounce
19.4 Escape

KTFK now has added
64.4 Grit

Escape and Grit start running full programming on Monday.
Larry Kenney's Avatar Larry Kenney 12:51 AM 08-15-2014
@TheDucksfan201... Hey, glad to see you back on here.

Thanks for the update on the addition of Escape and Grit up your way. They've been added down here, too... Escape on KDTV 14.4 and Grit on KFSF 66.4.

Larry
Theducksfan2010's Avatar Theducksfan2010 01:10 AM 08-15-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Kenney View Post
@TheDucksfan201... Hey, glad to see you back on here.

Thanks for the update on the addition of Escape and Grit up your way. They've been added down here, too... Escape on KDTV 14.4 and Grit on KFSF 66.4.

Larry
Seems like Fresno is the only "local" market where they both found a home on the same station, joining Univision and GetTv on channel 21 (rf 20).
wussery's Avatar wussery 03:18 PM 08-15-2014
I just got a replacement DirecTV HR24-500 Receiver and also have it connected to a Directv OTA Receiver. When I do a scan I do not see 13.1 or 58.1. I am able to scan 13.2, which pulls in the same channels as the DirecTV 13 channel. I have another HR24 in the house that was scanned several months ago and it shows 13.1 and 58.1. I have not attempted a new scan on the older HR24 as I didn't want to have an issue with that device.

Is there an issue with these two channels?

I have a Channel Master 4228 Antenna.
ProjectSHO89's Avatar ProjectSHO89 04:05 PM 08-15-2014
HR24/AM21 receivers don't scan, they use data downloaded from DirecTV's database for "enabling" local stations in the guide. If the data isn't present in the guide when downloaded, it won't show up.

Try resetting the system and redoing the setup, perhaps with an alternate zip code closer to Sac.
First ... 335  336  337 338  339  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop