AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Center Channel Dialog low muffled

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammerdwn View Post
ABC audio- Seems like every year I complain. Here we go again... Are they using "circle surround" for prime time and KXTV is converting to 5.1DD? Why is the center channel dialogue so muffled? Sometimes I can barely make out the dialog during the shows like-
Revenge
666 Park Ave
Once Upon A Time
Castle

The commercials during these programs seem fine, the local KXTV news seems fine, and all the 150 other Tv channels I have seem fine. I have turned the center channel on my system up and it doesn't seem to help. Do I go back to R/L analog - Pro Logic just to hear ABC prime time shows clearly?

Sorry to dig up the past, but the issue continues. Center channel dialog is muffled and low, bass is over bearing, background music/sound effects have a reverb echo distortion like a cave. Add shows like "What would you do" and "20/20" to the problem. Don't ever have this on "Jimmy Kimmel".

I have noticed, just within the past several weeks, that I am now having a very similar issue on many (but not all) shows on the Investigation Discovery channel. The difference is these programs don't have background music/sound effects that have the reverb echo distortion like a cave thing. I can rewind the show and have verified the level of the center channel dialog is in the file (it's not my surround system faltering).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10082 of 10136 Old 07-30-2014, 01:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 33
I received the August issue of the Worldwide TV-FM DX Association digest today, and it had the following FCC update information for stations in Modesto:
KEXT-CD, channel 27, application for digital service has been canceled.
K49EO, channel 49, has received approval for a power increase to 175 watts. Has anyone seen this channel on the air yet?

Larry
SF

My complete SF Bay Area DTV Station Lists:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Lots of Broadcasting links and information:

Check out photos and info on my antennas:

post #10083 of 10136 Old 07-30-2014, 09:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Kenney View Post
I received the August issue of the Worldwide TV-FM DX Association digest today, and it had the following FCC update information for stations in Modesto:
KEXT-CD, channel 27, application for digital service has been canceled.
K49EO, channel 49, has received approval for a power increase to 175 watts. Has anyone seen this channel on the air yet?

Larry
SF
KEXT has been a mystery to me. They're part of the KUVS-KTFK-KEZT-KEXT group. They're a Class A station and have a great site, covering a large area with low power and no competition on channel 27 yet they're squandering it. It's a wasted channel showing the same UniMas programming as KUVS and KTFK that cover the same area. I've attached an image showing the overlapping Service Contours of these 4 stations. KEXT and KEZT are useless and with a better choice of antennas for KTFK, KUVS is just a duplicate too. That's 3 wasted channels in this area.

K49EO analog has been gone for a long time. Somehow I missed their digital application. Even if they come back on the air, is anyone going to see them? Look at their service contour.

https://maps.google.com/?q=http://tr...state%3DCA.kml

Chuck
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	KUVS-KTFK-KEZT-KEXT-Contours.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	463.4 KB
ID:	187546  

post #10084 of 10136 Old 08-02-2014, 09:01 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Drifting skip conditions this morning - I was receiving KNVN (24.1), Antenna (24.2) and Accuwx (24.5) from NE of Red Bluff at 0530 - 0600, then KHSL about 0600-0700. KBTV came in well too. Info button on the iview showed a signal level of 65% to 72% on KNVN, and a bit higher on the other channels.

91XG, LNA200, Iview 3500STB-II
post #10085 of 10136 Old 08-02-2014, 01:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftateche View Post
Drifting skip conditions this morning - I was receiving KNVN (24.1), Antenna (24.2) and Accuwx (24.5) from NE of Red Bluff at 0530 - 0600, then KHSL about 0600-0700. KBTV came in well too. Info button on the iview showed a signal level of 65% to 72% on KNVN, and a bit higher on the other channels.

91XG, LNA200, Iview 3500STB-II
That's really good Tropo reception, probably about 230 miles or so for KNVN! Is that your most distant station? It's my most distant, at ~175 miles from San Francisco.

Is your antenna on a rotor? If so, what kind of distant signals do you get from other directions?

Larry

post #10086 of 10136 Old 08-02-2014, 02:49 PM

Quote:
That's really good Tropo reception, probably about 230 miles or so for KNVN! Is that your most distant station? It's my most distant, at ~175 miles from San Francisco.

Is your antenna on a rotor? If so, what kind of distant signals do you get from other directions?

Larry
Thanks for the reply, Larry. My straight line distance from KNVN is slightly over 214 miles at a compass direction of 339 degrees. My antenna, which is not currently mounted on a rotor, is pointed at 322 degrees (toward my normal target of KTXL 78 miles away). So my antenna was pointed 17 degrees left of the maximum signal, which means that I really should put the rotor up there (I have a new one in the box). There are a few improvements I should make so I can fine tune these rare signals...

I attached two pictures, one taken with my phone, and another from a screen cap of the playback of a recorded file.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	KNVN Cap.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	132.8 KB
ID:	193777   Click image for larger version

Name:	KNVN Playback.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	133.3 KB
ID:	193785  
post #10087 of 10136 Old 08-02-2014, 03:07 PM

Quote:

Larry
Added: As far as signals in other directions (other than Salinas and SFO, I picked up Bakersfield channels KBTF, KABE, and KUVI on 7/27/14 and on many other occasions. That's about 170 miles south from my location
post #10088 of 10136 Old 08-02-2014, 06:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA Send a message via Yahoo to Trip in VA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calaveras View Post
KEXT has been a mystery to me. They're part of the KUVS-KTFK-KEZT-KEXT group. They're a Class A station and have a great site, covering a large area with low power and no competition on channel 27 yet they're squandering it. It's a wasted channel showing the same UniMas programming as KUVS and KTFK that cover the same area.
KEXT-CA and KEZT-CA were the original affiliates of Telefutura (now Unimas) back when the network launched in 2001 or 2002. Univision didn't buy KTFK until 2003, and even then, until the transition in 2009, KTFK transmitted from Mount Diablo which may have presented signal issues in the target cities of Sacramento and Stockton if the viewer's antenna was aimed for Angel's Camp where KUVS and KCSO were/are located.

After that, I guess no offers came along that made Univision want to sell those signals.

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

post #10089 of 10136 Old 08-04-2014, 07:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip in VA View Post
KEXT-CA and KEZT-CA were the original affiliates of Telefutura (now Unimas) back when the network launched in 2001 or 2002. Univision didn't buy KTFK until 2003, and even then, until the transition in 2009, KTFK transmitted from Mount Diablo which may have presented signal issues in the target cities of Sacramento and Stockton if the viewer's antenna was aimed for Angel's Camp where KUVS and KCSO were/are located.

After that, I guess no offers came along that made Univision want to sell those signals.

- Trip
Mt. Diablo might be an issue for some in the valley but it's a great location for me. When KTFK was on 63 (or was it 62?) it had the highest SNR on my old Sony of any station... 34 dB. I wish all the Sacramento stations were there.

KEXT is off the air this morning. We'll see if that means anything or whether someone just needs to go turn it back on.

Chuck

post #10090 of 10136 Old 08-06-2014, 03:22 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So, I finally cut the cord. I live in Antelope and currently have a cheap indoor antenna up on my wall and its only getting me like 4 stations at 100%. I want to get a much better antenna and am looking for advice on which direction to go.
Wondering if I could get away with a good, amplified indoor antenna or if I would need a large, bowtie, multi-directional outdoor. And if it were the outdoor, could I get away with it in my attic, mounted to my pergola, or would it need to be at the top of my chimney?

What are others in the area using for good reception?

FYI, here is my signal plot: http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...e1c6a35743c684

Thanks,

Dan
post #10091 of 10136 Old 08-06-2014, 03:49 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmanXX View Post
So, I finally cut the cord. I live in Antelope and currently have a cheap indoor antenna up on my wall and its only getting me like 4 stations at 100%. I want to get a much better antenna and am looking for advice on which direction to go.
Wondering if I could get away with a good, amplified indoor antenna or if I would need a large, bowtie, multi-directional outdoor. And if it were the outdoor, could I get away with it in my attic, mounted to my pergola, or would it need to be at the top of my chimney?

FYI, here is my signal plot: http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...e1c6a35743c684

Thanks,

Dan
I'm in Roseville, I have a Clearstream C2-V that I could sell to you. (I upgraded to a large outdoor antenna from Radio Shack). It can be mounted outdoors or indoors in an attic or what not. It works good, the range is a little hit or miss for VHF channels (6.1 and 10.1).

PM if you're interested.
post #10092 of 10136 Old 08-06-2014, 11:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmanXX View Post

Thanks,

Dan
Your TVFool report is almost identical to mine. I receive all stations indoors from Walnut Grove, but not all from a single antenna location. I don't receive all in a room where the window faces the wrong way. Indoor reception has to be learned over time. The stations you get at 100% don't guarantee your antenna is aimed/located properly for the others. While I have an amplified indoor antenna, I'm not using it currently. I've had better success without an amp. I've a 2-bay, but it is also not being used for Walnut Grove. It's too much trouble to move around for best aim/location. An antenna near a window facing south is your best option. If you don't have that window, trial and error and patience will be needed. Good Luck.
post #10093 of 10136 Old 08-07-2014, 01:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Kext-ca

There have been some developments with KEXT-CA Modesto. I've been wondering for some time what was going to happen to this station, the last of the local analog stations that I can receive. Most people wouldn't care but it has a very strong signal here, a full quieting picture.

On July 31, 2014 UniMas (owner of KEXT) filed a notice with the FCC for sale of KEXT to Central Valley Television based in Los Angeles. The sale price is mere $5000! Of course it is an analog station and most of the physical assets are likely worthless.

https://licensing.fcc.gov/cdbs/CDBS_...um=1&exhcnum=1

Also of note is that their digital station construction permit was cancelled on June 23, 2014.

On August 4, 2014 Central Valley Television filed an STA with the FCC for silent operation along with this statement:

THE APPLICANT RECENTLY ACQUIRED THIS FACILITY AND HAS TAKEN THE STATION OFF THE AIR TEMPORARILY IN ORDER TO BUILD ITS DIGITAL FACILITY. APPLICANT EXPECTS TO BEGIN CONSTRUCTION OF THE DIGITAL FACILITY IMMEDIATELY UPON GRANT OF THE CONSTRUCTION PERMIT.

The station did go off the air on Aug 4.

They also filed for a station license renewal.

So far they have not filed a new application for a construction permit. I'll keep an eye out for that. They sound like they're serious about converting the station to digital so maybe a new application will show up soon.

I can't find any information on Central Valley Television so I have no idea what sort of programming they might offer.

Chuck

post #10094 of 10136 Old 08-07-2014, 01:45 PM
AVS Special Member

K49eo

K49EO in Modesto, the old TBN analog translator that's been off the air for some time, was granted a construction permit for a 175 watt digital station on July 21, 2014. Today they filed for a License to Cover the construction permit which is telling the FCC that they are on the air.

I see no indication at all that they are on the air. I receive KSTS on RF 49 here and another station on 49 ought to have some impact on it. I see no difference at all and KSTS still comes in pointed exactly where K49EO is supposed to be.

Is there someone around Modesto that could look on RF 49 to check for K49EO?

Chuck

post #10095 of 10136 Old 08-08-2014, 09:28 AM

Quote:
K49EO in Modesto, the old TBN analog translator that's been off the air for some time, was granted a construction permit for a 175 watt digital station on July 21, 2014. Today they filed for a License to Cover the construction permit which is telling the FCC that they are on the air.

I see no indication at all that they are on the air. I receive KSTS on RF 49 here and another station on 49 ought to have some impact on it. I see no difference at all and KSTS still comes in pointed exactly where K49EO is supposed to be.

Is there someone around Modesto that could look on RF 49 to check for K49EO?

Chuck
Chuck, I swung my HD-Stacker around and pointed it directly at the coordinates of K49EO and did not pick up anything on digital or analog. The transmitter is located just over 29 miles from my location, but the service contour is within a small circle that goes no further south than Ceres. I called a friend who lives inside the service area (about 2 or 3 miles from the station) and he will check the signal later tonight (he was on the way to Monterey for a fishing trip). He does not remember any signal at this time (he has a DB8 antenna above his two story roof).

My antenna was picking up most of the SFO channels just fine at the same time (0800 today) when I moved it left another 15 degrees. (KTVU, KPIX, KOFY, KRCB, KMTP, KTNC, KBCW)

Service contour map here: https://maps.google.com/?q=http://tr...state%3DCA.kml

Screen Grab picture of tower attached:

By the way, thank you for posting the service contour links on your DTV page.....
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	K49EO tower.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	122.4 KB
ID:	202833  
post #10096 of 10136 Old 08-08-2014, 10:13 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by linguica101 View Post
I'm in Roseville, I have a Clearstream C2-V that I could sell to you. (I upgraded to a large outdoor antenna from Radio Shack). It can be mounted outdoors or indoors in an attic or what not. It works good, the range is a little hit or miss for VHF channels (6.1 and 10.1).

PM if you're interested.
Thanx linguica, but after doing more research, I have decided on which way I want to go. Gonna pick up a new $32 Antennacraft.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deltaguy View Post
Your TVFool report is almost identical to mine. I receive all stations indoors from Walnut Grove, but not all from a single antenna location. I don't receive all in a room where the window faces the wrong way. Indoor reception has to be learned over time. The stations you get at 100% don't guarantee your antenna is aimed/located properly for the others. While I have an amplified indoor antenna, I'm not using it currently. I've had better success without an amp. I've a 2-bay, but it is also not being used for Walnut Grove. It's too much trouble to move around for best aim/location. An antenna near a window facing south is your best option. If you don't have that window, trial and error and patience will be needed. Good Luck.
I have an inexpensive RCA indoor right now on a southern facing wall. I first tried it in the window and it was really bad. Now, on the wall, I get about 4 stations as good, about 4 more as 50%. At my house, I don't think buying the indoor is the way to go. I am gonna pick up an outside and mount it high. Should take care of all the signals I want and then some. Thanx for your response.
post #10097 of 10136 Old 08-08-2014, 10:46 AM

Liked: 1
KBTV-CD will be moving to RF Channel 27 in early September. Same power as we are on Ch. 51. --Bill H.
post #10098 of 10136 Old 08-08-2014, 11:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftateche View Post
Chuck, I swung my HD-Stacker around and pointed it directly at the coordinates of K49EO and did not pick up anything on digital or analog. The transmitter is located just over 29 miles from my location, but the service contour is within a small circle that goes no further south than Ceres. I called a friend who lives inside the service area (about 2 or 3 miles from the station) and he will check the signal later tonight (he was on the way to Monterey for a fishing trip). He does not remember any signal at this time (he has a DB8 antenna above his two story roof).
The License to Cover was filed on Aug 7 so they would have just started up on Aug 6. My money is that they are not on air, another case of lying to the FCC.

Chuck

post #10099 of 10136 Old 08-08-2014, 11:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wndhh1 View Post
KBTV-CD will be moving to RF Channel 27 in early September. Same power as we are on Ch. 51. --Bill H.
Thanks for the heads up. I see that the antenna pattern is much different, protecting KEXT-CA to the south I assume.

Chuck

post #10100 of 10136 Old 08-08-2014, 01:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA Send a message via Yahoo to Trip in VA
Quote:
The license to cover that I see is for an analog license.

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

post #10101 of 10136 Old 08-08-2014, 01:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip in VA View Post
The license to cover that I see is for an analog license.

- Trip
You're right. But that makes no sense at all. Ten months ago they filed an STA for silent operation because they lost their tower lease and now they're back on from the same location with lower power and the antenna pointed in a different direction?

I used to see K49EO analog very weakly even with KSTS on the same channel when K49EO had their antenna pointed south. Now it's pointed right at me and I see nothing. I don't believe they're on the air.

Chuck

post #10102 of 10136 Old 08-08-2014, 03:51 PM

Liked: 1
Quote:
Thanks for the heads up. I see that the antenna pattern is much different, protecting KEXT-CA to the south I assume.

Chuck
Yes.
post #10103 of 10136 Old 08-12-2014, 08:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wndhh1 View Post
Looks like your new antenna protecting KEXT-CA is all for naught. You should file an amendment for a new antenna to restore your coverage. Why?

Today the FCC granted a construction permit for a digital companion channel KEXT-LD on RF 20 that will be located on Mt. Allison in Fremont at the KSTS transmitter site. KEXT-CA on RF 27 is unlikely to return with just a year before the LPTV analog shutdown. With KEXT-CA off the air and their new digital station on RF 20 there is nothing to protect on RF 27 to the south of Sacramento.

LPTV game playing never ceases to amaze me.

Chuck

post #10104 of 10136 Old 08-12-2014, 06:30 PM
AVS Special Member

I'll have to keep an eye out for KEXT on 20. That's where low power KAXT 42 (virual 1) is transmitting from and I get them okay here in the city.

Thanks for the info.

Larry
SF

post #10105 of 10136 Old 08-14-2014, 08:32 PM

Is anyone having trouble receiving KOVR.
I am in Citrus Heights.
post #10106 of 10136 Old 08-14-2014, 10:01 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by pez906 View Post
Is anyone having trouble receiving KOVR.
I am in Citrus Heights.
I just switched on the news. Everything normal here.
post #10107 of 10136 Old 08-14-2014, 11:32 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 57
KUVS 19 (RF 18) is now

19.1 Univision
64.2 KTFK.2 UniMas
19.3 Bounce
19.4 Escape

KTFK now has added
64.4 Grit

Escape and Grit start running full programming on Monday.
post #10108 of 10136 Old 08-14-2014, 11:51 PM
AVS Special Member

@TheDucksfan201... Hey, glad to see you back on here.

Thanks for the update on the addition of Escape and Grit up your way. They've been added down here, too... Escape on KDTV 14.4 and Grit on KFSF 66.4.

Larry

post #10109 of 10136 Old 08-15-2014, 12:10 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
@TheDucksfan201... Hey, glad to see you back on here.

Thanks for the update on the addition of Escape and Grit up your way. They've been added down here, too... Escape on KDTV 14.4 and Grit on KFSF 66.4.

Larry
Seems like Fresno is the only "local" market where they both found a home on the same station, joining Univision and GetTv on channel 21 (rf 20).

Last edited by Theducksfan2010; 08-15-2014 at 12:25 PM.
post #10110 of 10136 Old 08-15-2014, 02:18 PM

Can't Scan in Channel 13.1 or 58.1

I just got a replacement DirecTV HR24-500 Receiver and also have it connected to a Directv OTA Receiver. When I do a scan I do not see 13.1 or 58.1. I am able to scan 13.2, which pulls in the same channels as the DirecTV 13 channel. I have another HR24 in the house that was scanned several months ago and it shows 13.1 and 58.1. I have not attempted a new scan on the older HR24 as I didn't want to have an issue with that device.

Is there an issue with these two channels?

I have a Channel Master 4228 Antenna.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page