post #10171 of 10177 Old 10-09-2014, 03:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by uhfyagi View Post
enjoy reading your post from other of coast, Larry you mention you are using 65 ft rg-6 wire, are you using a preamp with that length of wire? also that vhf yagi looks very much like cm3025 or aka probe 9. I wish there was antenna maker would make antennas like yours. very efficient and rugged and made to last. go giants buddy!
I'm too close to the local stations for a preamp. Sutro Tower is just 3/4 mile away from our home. I've tried several different brands, but they are all overloaded by the strong local signals.

The yagi shown in the photo is an Antennacraft Y-10-7-13. It's still made and sold at many electronic parts and antenna stores like Solid Signal, Stark, Summit and Warren for about $40 to $45.

Yeah... Go Giants, for sure!!

Larry

My complete SF Bay Area DTV Station Lists: http://www.choisser.com/sfonair.html
Lots of Broadcasting links and information: http://www.choisser.com/broadcast.html

Check out photos and info on my antennas: http://www. larrykenney.com/tvantennas.html

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10172 of 10177 Old 10-09-2014, 05:15 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammerdwn View Post
Sorry to dig up the past, but the issue continues. Center channel dialog is muffled and low, bass is over bearing, background music/sound effects have a reverb echo distortion like a cave. Add shows like "What would you do" and "20/20" to the problem. Don't ever have this on "Jimmy Kimmel".

I have noticed, just within the past several weeks, that I am now having a very similar issue on many (but not all) shows on the Investigation Discovery channel. The difference is these programs don't have background music/sound effects that have the reverb echo distortion like a cave thing. I can rewind the show and have verified the level of the center channel dialog is in the file (it's not my surround system faltering).
I have the same issue. All of the background sound are too loud and very distorted. I've watched the same shows On Demand and can confirm the On Demand sounds perfect while the signal from KXTV are incredibly distorted. It's been this way for years and I thought it was a problem with my system. I finally compared against On Demand it the difference is night and day.
post #10173 of 10177 Old 10-09-2014, 05:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by keith_benedict View Post
I have the same issue. All of the background sound are too loud and very distorted. I've watched the same shows On Demand and can confirm the On Demand sounds perfect while the signal from KXTV are incredibly distorted. It's been this way for years and I thought it was a problem with my system. I finally compared against On Demand it the difference is night and day.
I've never watched on demand (because I use WMC PC). All I can say is, the audio on KXTV (ABC primetime shows) BITES. It sounds like everything is in an echo chamber or run through a reverb processor.
post #10174 of 10177 Old 10-09-2014, 06:39 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammerdwn View Post
I've never watched on demand (because I use WMC PC). All I can say is, the audio on KXTV (ABC primetime shows) BITES. It sounds like everything is in an echo chamber or run through a reverb processor.
The audio almost sounds like it's encoded at a very low bit rate. The first time I noticed it was during Revenge. I thought it was deliberate to match the dissonance of the show.

Now I want to watch the series over again to hear what I was missing.
post #10175 of 10177 Old 10-10-2014, 05:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 115
The engineer at KXTV must think that on shows like Castle the background music is more important than the spoken dialog. During these moments I try my best at employing dog ears.
post #10176 of 10177 Old 10-11-2014, 12:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 92
I only have stereo for my TV audio and I haven't had a chance to perform this test on an evening network program, but today on the football game I was able to switch rapidly between KXTV, KGO and KSBW. The audio on KGO and KSBW sounded identical but the KXTV audio sounds like the high frequency response is slightly rolled off. It doesn't have the crispness heard on the other two stations.

I suppose this doesn't mean anything but KXTV is a few seconds ahead in time compared to KGO which is a few seconds ahead of KSBW.

Chuck
post #10177 of 10177 Old 10-11-2014, 04:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calaveras View Post
I only have stereo for my TV audio and I haven't had a chance to perform this test on an evening network program, but today on the football game I was able to switch rapidly between KXTV, KGO and KSBW. The audio on KGO and KSBW sounded identical but the KXTV audio sounds like the high frequency response is slightly rolled off. It doesn't have the crispness heard on the other two stations.

I suppose this doesn't mean anything but KXTV is a few seconds ahead in time compared to KGO which is a few seconds ahead of KSBW.

Chuck
It's gonna be tough doing any kind of test/comparison just using stereo speakers.

I've only heard the KXTV audio problems on prime time shows like- Castle, 20/20, Motive, Revenge, What Would You Do, Forever.

Never heard problems on local news, Jimmy Kimmel, Good Morning America, (nightly) ABC World News. In fact the Jimmy Kimmel musical acts sound really great.

Also noticed some prime time shows DON'T have the audio problem, like - How to Get Away with Murder, Agents of Shield.

I've tried bringing this up in a National ABC topic but it always gets dismissed or ignored...

Last edited by hammerdwn; Yesterday at 07:59 PM.
post #10178 of 10177 Old 10-17-2014, 12:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calaveras View Post
KOVR

Looks like KOVR is on the back-up antenna this morning. It's down about 12 dB in signal strength and the SNR is down too. KTFK is normal strength and so is KXTV both on the same tower.

What happened?

Chuck

Edit: Back to the main antenna at 8:30 am.
Chuck,

We lost two of our three amplifiers at the main site. Switched to the backup. Sorry, late in reading this.

Bob
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page