post #10321 of 10336 Old 01-24-2015, 05:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Kenney View Post
It's interesting to point out that those three stations have the strongest signals into San Francisco, usually 3 or more dB stronger than KOVR and the two VHF channels.

Larry

Their antenna, like most broadcast antennas has a downward tilt to the main lobe. In this case 0.75°. That puts the center of the main lobe at the horizon 60 miles out where the most power is needed. You're about 60 miles from Walnut Grove and low elevation so it's working like they want. Those of us in the foothills at 2000' and higher are above the main lobe and get less ERP than you do. When the inversions set up and bend the signals down, we see less ERP as we're even farther outside the main lobe. The only real solution for us is for the broadcasters to use lower gain antennas with broader vertical lobes so when the signal is bent down we don't see such a big drop in ERP. KVIE has the lowest gain antenna at Walnut Grove and I've never seen them drop out. They go up and down but a much smaller swing in strength than any of the UHF stations.

I have little trouble with Fremont Peak, Mt. Toro and the Fremont sites. Signals mostly go up from nominal and not down very often. Those transmitters are higher than I am. Sutro Tower is also hard here because it has to pass over the top of Mt. Diablo. Sutro transmitters also have a downward tilt. It's the same sort of problem since the top of Mt. Diablo is above the main lobe. Inversions set up and signals go down. Sutro goes down way more often than it goes up.

Chuck

Last edited by Calaveras; 01-24-2015 at 08:23 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10322 of 10336 Old 01-26-2015, 12:22 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
KVIE has now added the previously mentioned fourth subchannel. KVIEWLD (PBS World) is now on 6.3 and KVIEVme has been bumped up to 6.4.

Rory
post #10323 of 10336 Old 01-26-2015, 01:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rory Boyce View Post
KVIE has now added the previously mentioned fourth subchannel. KVIEWLD (PBS World) is now on 6.3 and KVIEVme has been bumped up to 6.4.
6.2 and 6.3 are 16:9 full screen and look fine. 6.4 is letter boxed and therefore is horizontally stretched. I either have to zoom it to fill the screen or set it to "FULL" for 16:9 window box to get the correct aspect ratio. Looks like 6.4 has the lowest bit rate as I saw some motion artifacts.

Why is it so hard for these stations to get this right?

Chuck
post #10324 of 10336 Unread Yesterday, 12:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calaveras View Post
6.2 and 6.3 are 16:9 full screen and look fine. 6.4 is letter boxed and therefore is horizontally stretched. I either have to zoom it to fill the screen or set it to "FULL" for 16:9 window box to get the correct aspect ratio. Looks like 6.4 has the lowest bit rate as I saw some motion artifacts.

Why is it so hard for these stations to get this right?

Chuck
KVIE is aware that there is an issue with 6.4. It will be addressed soon. 6.1 is now 1080i by the way.
AnthemAZ.HDTV likes this.

Rory
post #10325 of 10336 Unread Yesterday, 12:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
KVIE is aware that there is an issue with 6.4. It will be addressed soon. 6.1 is now 1080i by the way.
I noticed that 6.2 had aspect choices available tonight. That will help with programs with graphics in the 4:3 hostile areas.
post #10326 of 10336 Unread Yesterday, 12:40 AM
Advanced Member

Is Decades going to be 13.2? I'd prefer it be 31.2.
AnthemAZ.HDTV likes this.
post #10327 of 10336 Unread Yesterday, 03:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
6.1 is now 1080i by the way.
I noticed that right away -- nice improvement. I wish 720p would go away ... it just does't cut it.
post #10328 of 10336 Unread Yesterday, 08:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deltaguy View Post
Is Decades going to be 13.2? I'd prefer it be 31.2.
Yes, it's going to be on 13.2. We might not be too happy about SD sub channels eating away at the bitrate of the main channel but it seems that many stations are trying to maximize usage of their channel. I interpret this as something good in the face of pressure to auction their channels or go to channel sharing. If these stations didn't want to stay on the air I don't think we'd be seeing expansion of offerings.

Chuck
post #10329 of 10336 Unread Yesterday, 03:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Yes, it's going to be on 13.2. We might not be too happy about SD sub channels eating away at the bitrate of the main channel but it seems that many stations are trying to maximize usage of their channel. I interpret this as something good in the face of pressure to auction their channels or go to channel sharing. If these stations didn't want to stay on the air I don't think we'd be seeing expansion of offerings.

Chuck
13.2 is up. We're using Imagine Communications (used to be Harris) Selenio encoders and are utilizing statistical multiplexing.
post #10330 of 10336 Unread Yesterday, 04:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Hess View Post
13.2 is up. We're using Imagine Communications (used to be Harris) Selenio encoders and are utilizing statistical multiplexing.

Looks good to me and the aspect ratio is even right.

Chuck
post #10331 of 10336 Unread Yesterday, 05:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Hess View Post
Maybe the compressor setting have been changed since your post but at 4:40pm I see no Stat-mux going on as seen off the air. The 13.1 data rate is fixed at about 15.5 megabits and 13.2 is fixed at about 2.9 megabits with approximately 800 K of null pid data.

Rory
post #10332 of 10336 Unread Yesterday, 05:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Statistical multiplexing is alive and well, Rory.
post #10333 of 10336 Unread Yesterday, 07:21 PM

Liked: 0
I'm new to the Granite Bay area (Near Douglas and Sierra College). We were very happy to see PBS World show up on 6.3 yesterday and the new Decades channel on 13.2. I still miss mystery night on KQED, but think we can get everything we're supposed to here, except for some reason I can't get 19.3 and 19.4 - even though 19.2 is fine (but useless for me). If they are all split off the same KUVS transmitter, why can't any of my TV's detect a signal on the other channels? There doesn't seem to be any way for me to manually program a frequency in the tuners and if I need to move the antenna I fear losing channels 6 and 10. I'm open to suggestions.
post #10334 of 10336 Unread Yesterday, 09:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlaInGB View Post
I'm new to the Granite Bay area (Near Douglas and Sierra College). We were very happy to see PBS World show up on 6.3 yesterday and the new Decades channel on 13.2. I still miss mystery night on KQED, but think we can get everything we're supposed to here, except for some reason I can't get 19.3 and 19.4 - even though 19.2 is fine (but useless for me). If they are all split off the same KUVS transmitter, why can't any of my TV's detect a signal on the other channels? There doesn't seem to be any way for me to manually program a frequency in the tuners and if I need to move the antenna I fear losing channels 6 and 10. I'm open to suggestions.
Unlike the vast majority of other TV stations 19.1,19.2, 19.3, and 19.4 here are not all broadcast from the same TV transmitter. The .1,.3, and .4 subchannels are broadcast on RF channel 18 from south of San Andreas. The .2 subchannel is broadcast on RF channel 26 from the Walnut Grove area the same location as the other Sacramento area stations.

Rory
post #10335 of 10336 Unread Yesterday, 10:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlaInGB View Post

Does your TV not have an Add Channels function? I know there are many Sharp TVs that don't have it and I've heard that some Samsung TVs don't have it.

I looked at the signal strength of KUVS in your area and it is spotty, much better west of Sierra College than east but any reasonable outdoor antenna should be able to receive it.

I just checked 19.4 and there is no program transmitted on it right now. 19.3 has Bounce.

Chuck
post #10336 of 10336 Unread Today, 12:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Does your TV not have an Add Channels function? I know there are many Sharp TVs that don't have it and I've heard that some Samsung TVs don't have it.

I looked at the signal strength of KUVS in your area and it is spotty, much better west of Sierra College than east but any reasonable outdoor antenna should be able to receive it.

I just checked 19.4 and there is no program transmitted on it right now. 19.3 has Bounce.

Chuck
I still see Escape on 19.4 here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception