Sacramento, CA - OTA - Page 348 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 29Likes
post #10411 of 10416 Old 06-11-2015, 06:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 573 Post(s)
Liked: 162
Nobody answered idoug here because he made this same post on the HDTV Technical forum first and received some responses there.

KMMW has been off the air for at least a week again. I have no idea what's going on there.

Chuck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10412 of 10416 Old 06-12-2015, 12:15 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hello, I'm new to the OTA programming, although I've been trying to research it for over a year. I've been having problems getting the high VHF channels, mainly KXTV and KVIE, which TV Fool shows I should be getting and be able to get with an indoor antenna. I have tried the Terk Indoor HDTV Antenna, the Mohu Leaf, and the Channel Master FLATenna. I'm a woman that's not really up for installing an antenna on my roof, have a flat roof so no real space for an attic antenna. I've tried searching this thread, but it's so large now that it was hard for me to find anything. Does anybody have a recommendation for an antenna that might work better for me? Would something like Channel Master's SMARTenna work? I'm not sure where to place it at outside of my house.

Are there companies that will install an antenna for you (please excuse my ignorance, I've been trying to find that out for a while)?

Since I can't post a link yet, here's the part of my tvfool.com after the slash
?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id%3d82301b91dcb57 9
post #10413 of 10416 Old 06-12-2015, 12:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 573 Post(s)
Liked: 162
Here's your complete TV Fool link:

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...82301b91dcb579

The antennas you've tried so far are really UHF antennas only although there are different versions. The Smartenna might be better. It would be helpful if you can put it in a window facing east. VHF doesn't penetrate buildings as well as UHF and because of multipath issues indoors you may have to put the antenna in a different position for different stations.

A small outdoor antenna such as the RCA ANT751 should be more than adequate at your location. This antenna mounted just on a 10' pole in the yard is likely good enough as long as it's not starring into a tree or the side of another house. Any mounting on the roof such as a 5' pole in eave brackets would be even better.

I don't know who does antenna installations in the Sacramento area.

Chuck
jhughy2010 likes this.
post #10414 of 10416 Old 06-13-2015, 09:01 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluekirty View Post
Hello, I'm new to the OTA programming, although I've been trying to research it for over a year. I've been having problems getting the high VHF channels, mainly KXTV and KVIE, which TV Fool shows I should be getting and be able to get with an indoor antenna. I have tried the Terk Indoor HDTV Antenna, the Mohu Leaf, and the Channel Master FLATenna. I'm a woman that's not really up for installing an antenna on my roof, have a flat roof so no real space for an attic antenna. I've tried searching this thread, but it's so large now that it was hard for me to find anything. Does anybody have a recommendation for an antenna that might work better for me? Would something like Channel Master's SMARTenna work? I'm not sure where to place it at outside of my house.

Are there companies that will install an antenna for you (please excuse my ignorance, I've been trying to find that out for a while)?

Your TV fool chart seems to place you in the Fairfield area, and yes that's a bit of a stretch for any indoor antenna, especially on VHF. If you are at liberty to install a full size antenna in your attic, that should be an excellent choice for reception of the Walnut Grove channels. Here's an antenna that ought to do the job....

http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp...0Antennas&sku=

...and there are other likely choices, but I'd have confidence in that one at your distance from the towers.

For professional installation, call or ask at your nearest Best Buy store. Sears might be another choice. Inquire about their preferred contractor for outside antenna installations, then make direct contact yourself.

The photo here is an attic installation that I did last year in Lodi.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 130102-TVantMosswood.jpg (286.4 KB, 47 views)
jhughy2010 likes this.
post #10415 of 10416 Old 06-13-2015, 04:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluekirty View Post

Your report looks almost identical to mine. I originally had problems with 6 & 10 also. The solution here was to move the antenna away from the tv. VHF has problems with electrical noise. Lots of devices can cause this. You might try turning off lights etc. to see if this is the culprit. Going anywhere outdoors can be a big plus also. A ladder may not be needed. Good Luck.
post #10416 of 10416 Unread Today, 12:36 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Thanks everyone!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page