Sacramento, CA - OTA - Page 348 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 29Likes

post #10411 of 10431 Old 06-10-2015, 09:22 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by idoug View Post
About a year ago I switched to OTA TV. Am using Channel Master DVR+, an existing Winegard antenna, in the attic, and a cheap RCA preamp. I live in the Pocket area of Sacramento. Additionally, there is a large air-handler that is about 10 feet in front of the antenna.

A couple of months ago, KCRA, KMAX and KQCA would have serious dropouts in the early evenings. Stations like KOVR, KVIE and KXTV all come in fine. I removed the preamp and turned the antenna more towards the KCRA and the dropouts are less but can now occur on more stations. Did find that if the antenna is at the level of the air-handler the reception is worst than when the antenna is above it.

What can I do to improve my reception? Or is this just a matter of trial and error in moving the antenna?
Getting your antenna out of the attic and in a location that has the least obstructed view possible toward the Walnut Grove area TV transmitters would probably make a big improvement. You should not need a preamp in your area and they can often make things much worse in strong signal areas.

Rory

Last edited by Rory Boyce; 06-10-2015 at 09:27 PM. Reason: Added information
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10412 of 10431 Old 06-11-2015, 06:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 622 Post(s)
Liked: 164
Nobody answered idoug here because he made this same post on the HDTV Technical forum first and received some responses there.

KMMW has been off the air for at least a week again. I have no idea what's going on there.

Chuck
post #10413 of 10431 Old 06-12-2015, 12:15 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hello, I'm new to the OTA programming, although I've been trying to research it for over a year. I've been having problems getting the high VHF channels, mainly KXTV and KVIE, which TV Fool shows I should be getting and be able to get with an indoor antenna. I have tried the Terk Indoor HDTV Antenna, the Mohu Leaf, and the Channel Master FLATenna. I'm a woman that's not really up for installing an antenna on my roof, have a flat roof so no real space for an attic antenna. I've tried searching this thread, but it's so large now that it was hard for me to find anything. Does anybody have a recommendation for an antenna that might work better for me? Would something like Channel Master's SMARTenna work? I'm not sure where to place it at outside of my house.

Are there companies that will install an antenna for you (please excuse my ignorance, I've been trying to find that out for a while)?

Since I can't post a link yet, here's the part of my tvfool.com after the slash
?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id%3d82301b91dcb57 9
post #10414 of 10431 Old 06-12-2015, 12:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Here's your complete TV Fool link:

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...82301b91dcb579

The antennas you've tried so far are really UHF antennas only although there are different versions. The Smartenna might be better. It would be helpful if you can put it in a window facing east. VHF doesn't penetrate buildings as well as UHF and because of multipath issues indoors you may have to put the antenna in a different position for different stations.

A small outdoor antenna such as the RCA ANT751 should be more than adequate at your location. This antenna mounted just on a 10' pole in the yard is likely good enough as long as it's not starring into a tree or the side of another house. Any mounting on the roof such as a 5' pole in eave brackets would be even better.

I don't know who does antenna installations in the Sacramento area.

Chuck
jhughy2010 likes this.
post #10415 of 10431 Old 06-13-2015, 09:01 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluekirty View Post
Hello, I'm new to the OTA programming, although I've been trying to research it for over a year. I've been having problems getting the high VHF channels, mainly KXTV and KVIE, which TV Fool shows I should be getting and be able to get with an indoor antenna. I have tried the Terk Indoor HDTV Antenna, the Mohu Leaf, and the Channel Master FLATenna. I'm a woman that's not really up for installing an antenna on my roof, have a flat roof so no real space for an attic antenna. I've tried searching this thread, but it's so large now that it was hard for me to find anything. Does anybody have a recommendation for an antenna that might work better for me? Would something like Channel Master's SMARTenna work? I'm not sure where to place it at outside of my house.

Are there companies that will install an antenna for you (please excuse my ignorance, I've been trying to find that out for a while)?

Your TV fool chart seems to place you in the Fairfield area, and yes that's a bit of a stretch for any indoor antenna, especially on VHF. If you are at liberty to install a full size antenna in your attic, that should be an excellent choice for reception of the Walnut Grove channels. Here's an antenna that ought to do the job....

http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp...0Antennas&sku=

...and there are other likely choices, but I'd have confidence in that one at your distance from the towers.

For professional installation, call or ask at your nearest Best Buy store. Sears might be another choice. Inquire about their preferred contractor for outside antenna installations, then make direct contact yourself.

The photo here is an attic installation that I did last year in Lodi.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	130102-TVantMosswood.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	286.4 KB
ID:	773665  
jhughy2010 likes this.
post #10416 of 10431 Old 06-13-2015, 04:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluekirty View Post

Your report looks almost identical to mine. I originally had problems with 6 & 10 also. The solution here was to move the antenna away from the tv. VHF has problems with electrical noise. Lots of devices can cause this. You might try turning off lights etc. to see if this is the culprit. Going anywhere outdoors can be a big plus also. A ladder may not be needed. Good Luck.
post #10417 of 10431 Old 06-16-2015, 12:36 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Thanks everyone!
post #10418 of 10431 Old 07-21-2015, 01:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I had to re-download the guide for Windows Media Center for recording TV via my PC. However, the new scan does not even list 10.1 or 40.1. Yet, the guide does list, and I can receive, all other broadcasts from the Sacramento region. In fact, even the San Francisco stations are listed in the guide although I can not view them. Prior to the re-download 10.1 and 40.1 were in the guide, and I could view them. Anyone know why these stations are not even listed now. My indoor ATSC antenna has not been moved. Thanks.
post #10419 of 10431 Old 07-21-2015, 10:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 570 Post(s)
Liked: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by igreg View Post
I had to re-download the guide for Windows Media Center for recording TV via my PC. However, the new scan does not even list 10.1 or 40.1. Yet, the guide does list, and I can receive, all other broadcasts from the Sacramento region. In fact, even the San Francisco stations are listed in the guide although I can not view them. Prior to the re-download 10.1 and 40.1 were in the guide, and I could view them. Anyone know why these stations are not even listed now. My indoor ATSC antenna has not been moved. Thanks.
I too was prompted to re-download the guide this morning (I have never had that happen before). I didn't check to see if 10.1 or 40.1 were there. I'll check later today.

Gear: Pioneer VSX-1124-K, NHT Classic Three (L/R), Classic Two (rear) TwoC (center).
PSA V1500 (x2)
HTPC/server (Emby), Fire TV Stick, Chromecast
OTA Winegard HD7698P
Sharp LC-60SQ15U (HCFR calibrated)
post #10420 of 10431 Old 07-21-2015, 10:08 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
There's a free app you can download called "guidetool" it lets you select which broadcast to pull your guide from. I've used it from time to time. However, most recently I've been having problems where the guide is lost periodically for no apparent reason. I'm live in the Roseville area, and I would suspect I unknowingly downloaded the new guide for Windows Media Center and I'm dealing with the same issue. However, my guide still shows 10.1 and 40.1 only problem it says "no data available" that's when I turn to guidetool.
post #10421 of 10431 Old 07-21-2015, 03:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by linguica101 View Post
There's a free app you can download called "guidetool" it lets you select which broadcast to pull your guide from. I've used it from time to time. However, most recently I've been having problems where the guide is lost periodically for no apparent reason. I'm live in the Roseville area, and I would suspect I unknowingly downloaded the new guide for Windows Media Center and I'm dealing with the same issue. However, my guide still shows 10.1 and 40.1 only problem it says "no data available" that's when I turn to guidetool.

I do not have a smartphone, but I do have an IPAD. Regardless, can and how would this app integrate with establishing the guide for Windows Media Center on my desktop PC? Thanks.
post #10422 of 10431 Old 07-21-2015, 03:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhughy2010 View Post
I too was prompted to re-download the guide this morning (I have never had that happen before). I didn't check to see if 10.1 or 40.1 were there. I'll check later today.
Let me know your results. I know for a while even though 10.1 was in the guide, often the recordings would fail due to a "weak signal" according to Windows Media Center. However, the channel has been fine now for several months prior to this latest incident when 10.1 and 40.1 do not even show in the guide. I had to re-download the guide because for whatever reason my guide was not updating itself even though it said that updating had been downloaded.

An option in WMC settings exists to add missing digital channels (e.g., 40.1), but after entering it asks for the frequency, and I do not know what to input. Doubtful that would work regardless.

Interesting, either an odd coincidence or a telling tale of 40.1 and 10.1, but when I had to reload the guide in my HR20-700 DirecTV receiver in my master bedroom, both of these channels are now absent. They still are present and viewable on my plasma in my living room. Hopefully I never need to re-download the guide on the HR20-700; but, with new substations being added it would be otherwise advantageous to update the guide periodically. I have an excellent outdoor ATSC antennae attached to my chimney and live within 25 miles of the ATSC towers. The antennae is facing south and was professionally installed.
post #10423 of 10431 Old 07-21-2015, 03:54 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
I do not have a smartphone, but I do have an IPAD. Regardless, can and how would this app integrate with establishing the guide for Windows Media Center on my desktop PC? Thanks.
Sorry for the confusion, let me explain a little more. It's an "app" or program you download onto your desktop pc. Just do a search for "guidetool" its the first entry you'll find. Its from 1geek1tool.

As I mentioned before, it lets the user manually adjust the Windows Media Center guide. It won't find channels that are not found (you mentioned you were missing 10.1 and 40.1) but it will provide EPG information if it is missing (which is what I use it for.

Hope this helps.
post #10424 of 10431 Old 07-21-2015, 10:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by linguica101 View Post
Sorry for the confusion, let me explain a little more. It's an "app" or program you download onto your desktop pc. Just do a search for "guidetool" its the first entry you'll find. Its from 1geek1tool.

As I mentioned before, it lets the user manually adjust the Windows Media Center guide. It won't find channels that are not found (you mentioned you were missing 10.1 and 40.1) but it will provide EPG information if it is missing (which is what I use it for.

Hope this helps.
Thanks for clarifying; however, my problem is not EPG info but missing channels. Why the heck would all the SF channels (in addition to Sac locals) be listed but not 40.1 or 10.1? Anybody know? Thanks.
post #10425 of 10431 Old 07-22-2015, 09:15 AM
AVS Special Member

All of my guide information disappeared on me yesterday. It now prompts me to download guide info every time I go into WMC or every time I change a channel. Strange... part of me doesn't care enough to research the problem as I plan to upgrade to Win 10 at the end of the month (bye WMC).

Gear: Pioneer VSX-1124-K, NHT Classic Three (L/R), Classic Two (rear) TwoC (center).
PSA V1500 (x2)
OTA Winegard HD7698P
post #10426 of 10431 Old 07-27-2015, 12:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Kqeh

If you can receive KQEH 54 and have an internet ready TV here's something to check out. On 50.6 (no virtual channel) they're running their .1 channel in 1080i MPEG4 encoded. There is no sound. This just a test. The picture is great.

I don't know why they're doing this. Could be in preparation for the post auction/repack world where more streams on one channel would be necessary.

Chuck
post #10427 of 10431 Old 07-28-2015, 11:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I live in 95823 and WMC has been working fine until MS started using Rovi for guide information recently. Now it tells me to download the guide but always shows "No Data Available". I have tried re-setting WMC and even tried some different zip codes. So far nothing has worked. I still have not data for any of the channels. Anybody has a suggestion? Thanks.
post #10428 of 10431 Old 07-28-2015, 02:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidt1 View Post
I live in 95823 and WMC has been working fine until MS started using Rovi for guide information recently. Now it tells me to download the guide but always shows "No Data Available". I have tried re-setting WMC and even tried some different zip codes. So far nothing has worked. I still have not data for any of the channels. Anybody has a suggestion? Thanks.
There's been some discussion about this on the San Francisco OTA thread.

San Francisco, CA - OTA

You might ask over there.

Chuck
post #10429 of 10431 Old 07-28-2015, 02:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calaveras View Post
There's been some discussion about this on the San Francisco OTA thread.

San Francisco, CA - OTA

You might ask over there.

Chuck
Thanks for the link. I looked at the last 3 pages and saw only one post (by maxreactance) that specifically relates to the problem with Rovi not providing channel data in WMC. His post wasn't replied to. So far I haven't seen any solution offered in the last 3 pages of the SF thread I have looked at. I need a zip code for Sacramento that someone in Sacramento have used successfully to get around the Rovi problem. Thanks again.
post #10430 of 10431 Old 07-28-2015, 02:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Quote:
Thanks for the link. I looked at the last 3 pages and saw only one post (by maxreactance) that specifically relates to the problem with Rovi not providing channel data in WMC. His post wasn't replied to. So far I haven't seen any solution offered in the last 3 pages of the SF thread I have looked at. I need a zip code for Sacramento that someone in Sacramento have used successfully to get around the Rovi problem. Thanks again.
I had the same problem. In order to fix it have WMC set up TV signal again (basically start over). I used the zip code 95991. All worked well.

PSA V1500 (x2)
OTA Winegard HD7698P
post #10431 of 10431 Old Today, 09:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 444 Post(s)
Liked: 298
Has anyone noticed a problem with the picture flashing on 6.1? I have just recently noticed this (after getting a new tv), and verified it is also on our projector (though not as bad). When watching the flashing if I pause the channel I can see it is going from a blank screen to a normal picture. I am using HDHomerun dual tuners in WMC.

Krell Showcase 7.1, (3) JBL 2360As/EV DHA-1s, (3) 1/4 Pie bass bins, (3) Balanced MiniDSP 2x4s, (2) JBL 8340As,  PS3, XBox 360, (2) Intel NUCs, Blue Jeans 7.1 Cables, Redmere HDMI cables, Monster HTPS7000, 2 DTS-10 subs, Panasonic AE8000, SeymourAV 180 (195" diagonal) scope screen, Darbee Darcet, (1) Yamaha P7000s, (1) Yamaha XM-4080, (1) Sherbourne 5/1500, (1) Lexicon NT-512, MiniDSP DDRC-88A, and an Oppo 103.
The Ellis Family Go Big or go Home HT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception