Tallahassee, FL - HDTV - Page 151 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #4501 of 4523 Old 01-05-2015, 06:25 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 26
They are still CW and MeTV as of today
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4502 of 4523 Old 01-05-2015, 06:30 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Why hasn't Sinclair come out with something official, like a press release on FOX moving from 49.1 to 40.2? Also, will CW eventually move to 49.1? If so, what happens to 24.1?

One person's craziness is another person's reality. - Tim Burton
post #4503 of 4523 Old 01-05-2015, 06:34 PM
Advanced Member

CW wont move
Sinclair OWNS 40
Sinclair RUNS 24
Sinclair was KINDA RUNNING 49

Sinclair wanted to buy 49 outright but the FCC said no so they bought everything but the license. The current owner of 49 actually sent a request to the FCC saying they didn't want to sell 49 to Sinclair

http://licensing.fcc.gov/cgi-bin/pro...etter_id=54348

Last edited by unclehonkey; 01-05-2015 at 06:39 PM.
post #4504 of 4523 Old 01-05-2015, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclehonkey View Post
CW wont move
It might... have you seen post #4498 ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvcg66b3r View Post
CW moved to WCTV 6.3 (480i SD or possibly 720p HD) due to Gray's groupwide deal with CW
WCTV's semi-satellite in Valdosta/Albany GA has CW on 44.3.

post #4505 of 4523 Old 01-05-2015, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Sinclair wanted to buy 49 outright but the FCC said no so they bought everything but the license. The current owner of 49 actually sent a request to the FCC saying they didn't want to sell 49 to Sinclair
Do you think 49 will go dark?

BTW, I have made scenarios for potential subchannel shuffles involving other Sinclair virtual duopolies (and even some run by other groups), and I'll post them on the respective local threads.

post #4506 of 4523 Old 01-05-2015, 08:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
WCTV's semi-satellite in Valdosta/Albany GA has CW on 44.3.
Thats nice but Sinclair has the rights to the CW in Tallahassee

Quote:
Do you think 49 will go dark?
I'm sure they are looking for an owner.
post #4507 of 4523 Old 01-05-2015, 08:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
BTW, I have made scenarios for potential subchannel shuffles involving other Sinclair virtual duopolies (and even some run by other groups), and I'll post them on the respective local threads.
so now you're going to ruin a bunch of threads with mythical crap?
This isnt radiodiscussions.com
post #4508 of 4523 Old 01-05-2015, 09:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
What about 49.2 and 49.3?
WTLH 49.1 is nothing.
WTLH 49.2 is the same old 480i SD feed of The CW (WTLF)
WTLH 49.3 is the same old 480i SD feed of MeTV.

WTWC 40.1 is NBC downconverted to 720p.
WTWC 40.2 is FOX at 720p.
WTWC 40.3 is Sinclair's newest sub-channel (I can't remember the name).

Given that I can't pick up WSWG here in my own market, it sure would be great if WTLH would simulcast The CW from WTLF in HD on 49.1 instead of airing nothing but two SD feeds.

DirecTV SUBSCRIBER since 1995!
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views
of Alan Gordon, Alan Gordon Enterprises, Alan Gordon, Inc., or Alan Gordon Amalgamated.

Last edited by Alan Gordon; 01-05-2015 at 09:18 PM.
post #4509 of 4523 Old 01-05-2015, 09:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Gordon View Post
Grit
post #4510 of 4523 Old 01-06-2015, 07:49 AM

The posts I made here and on other threads are just pure speculation on just what might happen in these markets, with the FCC's crackdown on JSAs/SSAs and the impending incentive auction. Some of you may have been offended, and for that I apologize.

post #4511 of 4523 Old 01-06-2015, 05:03 PM

RabbitEars has just updated WTWC and WTLH's entries:
WTWC 40.2 (FOX) is now in 720p HD. 40.1 (NBC) is 720p as well (was 1080i; may still be 1080i on cable).
WTLH 49.1 is now blank, 49.2 CW (480i SD), 49.3 MeTV (480i SD).
http://www.rabbitears.info/market.ph...=66908#station
http://www.rabbitears.info/market.ph...=23486#station

post #4512 of 4523 Old 01-06-2015, 05:28 PM
Advanced Member

because the info was submitted to Trip
post #4513 of 4523 Old 01-06-2015, 06:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Grit
Thanks! Apparently, my FOX station (owned by Sinclair) has put that on a new sub-channel (31.3) as well.

Quote:
WTLH 49.1 is nothing.

WTWC 40.1 is NBC downconverted to 720p.
WTWC 40.2 is FOX at 720p.
Quote:
RabbitEars has just updated WTWC and WTLH's entries:
WTWC 40.2 (FOX) is now in 720p HD. 40.1 (NBC) is 720p as well (was 1080i; may still be 1080i on cable).
WTLH 49.1 is now blank, 49.2 CW (480i SD), 49.3 MeTV (480i SD).
http://www.rabbitears.info/market.ph...=66908#station
http://www.rabbitears.info/market.ph...=23486#station

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views
of Alan Gordon, Alan Gordon Enterprises, Alan Gordon, Inc., or Alan Gordon Amalgamated.
post #4514 of 4523 Old 01-06-2015, 07:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Thanks! Apparently, my FOX station (owned by Sinclair) has put that on a new sub-channel (31.3) as well.
I was wrong. 40-3 is GetTv which is another old movie type channel
post #4515 of 4523 Old 01-06-2015, 07:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I was wrong. 40-3 is GetTv which is another old movie type channel
I could have sworn that it was Grit whenever I was flipping through the channels. I must have been thinking of my FOX affiliate's sub-channel, and of how Sinclair was going to offer Grit on a lot of their stations.

I stand corrected...

post #4516 of 4523 Old 01-08-2015, 12:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
WTLH 49.1 is nothing.
WTLH 49.1 is now the 480i SD feed of MeTV.
WTLH 49.2 is still the old 480i SD feed of The CW (WTLF).

I'm still really hoping they'll upgrade The CW on WTLH to HD as I can't receive The CW in HD, so that would be GREAT!!

post #4517 of 4523 Old 01-31-2015, 02:17 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
WTLH 49.1 is now the 480i SD feed of MeTV.
WTLH 49.2 is still the old 480i SD feed of The CW (WTLF).

I'm still really hoping they'll upgrade The CW on WTLH to HD as I can't receive The CW in HD, so that would be GREAT!!
Living in Killearn and somehow I get WTXL and WCTV in hi-def, but not WTWC/NBC. Am I doing something wrong? My antenna is an RCA ANT1450BF

I do get a few other channels as well.
post #4518 of 4523 Old 01-31-2015, 04:32 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by garethcales View Post
Living in Killearn and somehow I get WTXL and WCTV in hi-def, but not WTWC/NBC. Am I doing something wrong? My antenna is an RCA ANT1450BF

I do get a few other channels as well.
I am a little confused at the question. Let me see if I can understand you and then we can figure it out.
-Are you saying you do not get reception at all for "those" channels or that your getting "those" channels but they are not in HD?
-WTWC IS NBC. Do you mean WTWC/NBC AND WTLH/FOX?

What ever the questions are I will try to help:

First off, I live in Tallahassee around Centerville trace/Cameron Trace so I assume I am a little closer and higher to the antenna farm in Metcalf, GA but our results should be similar. I am not an expert but lets just say I was probably one of, if not THE first person in Gadsden county (a lot further away) years ago to get HD OTA. I can remember troubleshooting and going thru countless antennas, cables, amplifiers, etc to finally watch a documentary on the PBS channel in HD about naked mole rats and never watched SD again. Seriously :-) Since then I have installed countless antennas for people/friends/family and co workers. Now that you have my background and info is out of the way let me try to answer your questions:

1. If you get ALL the channels (CBS, ABC, NBC, FOX) in some format without breakup (You have good signal strength) but some are not HD:
-I would suggest trying to delete ALL the channels from your TV, Tuner, etc. and perform a new channel scan. Your tuner may have some channel mapping issues or something and this should resolve it. I had this happen with a dish receiver a long time ago.
-After the channel scan, try to go thru each channel. All of the HD main streams are on the call sign channel + .1
--Meaning WCTV6 CBS is 6.1, WTXL ABC27 is 27.1, etc. The ONLY exception would be WTXL FOX49 which maps to 40.2 (as a subchannel of WTWC and is down converted to 720P I think.)
-IF this is your question and you still have problems, post back the make and model of what ever your using to receive your digital OTA channels and I will try to help you some more.

2. If your having problems receiving any of the primary channels (CBS6, ABC27, NBC40, FOX49 aka FOX 40.2) then try the following:
-I am a little higher and closer than you are and I get 100 signal strength on two of the channels and 90+ signal strength on the other two WITHOUT an amplified antenna and my antenna is located in my attic. I say all of that because your antenna is amplified.
-The ONE thing that is constant with all of my trials, errors and accolades with OTA reception is you almost NEVER get better reception (possibly NO reception) with an amplified antenna or antenna amp unless there are VERY special circumstances such as a long cable drop from the antenna to the TV, Multiple TV's connected to the antenna, OR you live in a rural area that doesn't have a lot of interference but your very far away from the towers and have a clean BUT weak signal strength. The reason this usually doesn't work is that you already have a strong signal (as in your's and my case) or you have a lot of noise (cell towers, HAM radio, Air traffic controller, etc.) and you may have that. Either way, the signal gets over amplified or you amplify noise along with the signal and either way you end up with a poorer signal or no usable signal at all.
So first off using the antenna you have try each of the steps below and channel scan/test after each step before going to the next:
-A unplug the amplifier.

-B Find the exact location of the antenna farm in relation to your actual home at Antennapoint.com and use a compass or smart phone compass app to turn one side of your antenna panel exactly at the channel your trying to get. YMMV since your antenna is fully directional but it will still help A LOT to eliminate multi path interference. You can also try plugging back in the amplifier at this point to see if your better or worst off.

-C Get that antenna Higher up! Against a window is probably better than a wall even if the wall faces the antenna farm. An attic is much better than any wall or window (just keep it about 5 or 6 feet from the actual wooden walls of the roof if possible and as far away from anything metal like air ducting, AC/Heater units, etc), Outside is best but is not needed in our area. You can also try plugging back in the amplifier at this point to see if your better or worst off.

-D If all of this seems like a lot of trouble...shooting, it is and I have another recommendation that will work and you may want to start with it: Get a new antenna........................
> I do not like yours and have had issues with it in the past when I tried it and when others bought it. I ALWAYS recommend an antenna from antennasdirect. You can buy them on amazon, from best buy and even Walmart. I have NEVER had one not pull in the signal that was needed. You just need to match your needs to the right model antenna.
>In our area I would suggest the following DIRECTIONAL NON AMPLIFIED ANTENNAS
>>Clearstream 2. I KNOW it will work. This is what I have in my attic. Your about 3 miles further away and a little lower than me but it should work without putting it in the attic but I know it will work in the attic or outside.
>>>Clearstream DB4e or 91XG. These are VERY directional and probably overkill but will work no matter what in your case though they are probably not needed.

I can probably do a little better for you if you give me an address that is close to your house. I would not/do not recommend sharing your actual address. A house within a street or two that is at the same elevation of yours will do!

Let me know if I can help more or if everything works out.

Last edited by mahicks; 01-31-2015 at 04:43 PM.
post #4519 of 4523 Old 02-05-2015, 10:37 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Glad yall are having better luck with OTA HD. Unfortunately for me, a couple of things combine to make OTA impossible. Living in an apartment with some stairs in front of my window plus the only windows for my apartment face WEST. Meaning that I can only pick up WFSU and a Panama City station if I'm lucky.

Also, I thought FOX broadcasts natively in 720p, so WTWC 40.2 isn't a downgrade for FOX. I am irked that NBC was downgraded to 720. Nor sure what's the display on my cable box (I have everything set to 1080 for HD feed. They could have moved the 40.3 channel to WTLH.

Last edited by qbot101; 02-05-2015 at 10:45 PM.
post #4520 of 4523 Old 02-06-2015, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qbot101 View Post
Glad yall are having better luck with OTA HD. Unfortunately for me, a couple of things combine to make OTA impossible. Living in an apartment with some stairs in front of my window plus the only windows for my apartment face WEST. Meaning that I can only pick up WFSU and a Panama City station if I'm lucky.

Also, I thought FOX broadcasts natively in 720p, so WTWC 40.2 isn't a downgrade for FOX. I am irked that NBC was downgraded to 720. Nor sure what's the display on my cable box (I have everything set to 1080 for HD feed. They could have moved the 40.3 channel to WTLH.
If you can get WSU and especially get the PC station from time to time there could still be some hope!
I would go to one of the walmarts and purchase the antennas direct antenna. They have two models. Get the one with two rings if they have it and try it. You can return it within 90 days if it doesn't work. It just may pull in what you need. They are pretty amazing. Just don't use an amp or anything and try.

If you do, please post back on your results. A lot of people in Tallahassee are in similar housing situations.
post #4521 of 4523 Old 02-06-2015, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahicks View Post
If you can get WSU and especially get the PC station from time to time there could still be some hope!
I would go to one of the walmarts and purchase the antennas direct antenna. They have two models. Get the one with two rings if they have it and try it. You can return it within 90 days if it doesn't work. It just may pull in what you need. They are pretty amazing. Just don't use an amp or anything and try.

If you do, please post back on your results. A lot of people in Tallahassee are in similar housing situations.
I will give that antenna a try one of these days. It is just crazy that I can only get one channel.
post #4522 of 4523 Old 02-06-2015, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qbot101 View Post
I will give that antenna a try one of these days. It is just crazy that I can only get one channel.
Sounds good. Like I posted above, I highly recommend them. I am sure you have a ton of multi path issues/reflections and a good directional antenna like this one should really help you lock in. Its also pretty flat and fairly small so it could hide behind the TV or something.
post #4523 of 4523 Old 03-03-2015, 05:59 PM

Been recording General Hospital on my DVR... What is the deal with the black bar, I've been seeing it for the last few days. And it isn't only at 2. Second picture is from Repeat After Me.

Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1425434325036.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	158.2 KB
ID:	582265Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1425434367686.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	148.5 KB
ID:	582273

Sent from my SM-N910V
Sponsored Links
Advertisement