post #181 of 4494 Old 01-05-2005, 06:41 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

Originally posted by mahicks
Kinda OT...................Is it just me or is email now USELESS. Nobody, I mean NOBODY responds to email anymore. ABC, NBC, FOX, CBS, Sweet Spot Audio, US Digital...These are just a small list of companies I have emailed almost everyday for a month and got ZERO RESPONSE. Most of the TV Stations I emailed, I just had a few questions. The other companies, hell, I wanted to spend alot of money with them!

I've found Sweet Spot AV very responsive. I never use email with him so maybe his email is down. He just finished a HAI smarthome system with touchscreens and a whole house AV system for me that went really well.

Go Noles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 4494 Old 01-05-2005, 06:57 PM

LOL....maby I should get someone to check to see if my email is getting to them! LOL..
post #183 of 4494 Old 01-08-2005, 08:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:

Kinda OT...................Is it just me or is email now USELESS. Nobody, I mean NOBODY responds to email anymore. ABC, NBC, FOX, CBS, Sweet Spot Audio, US Digital...These are just a small list of companies I have emailed almost everyday for a month and got ZERO RESPONSE. Most of the TV Stations I emailed, I just had a few questions. The other companies, hell, I wanted to spend alot of money with them!

In order to get a reply I have to spam their inbox with my repeated message like 6 or 7 times in a row. No one answers email much like no responds to voicemail. Make sure you get a live person everytime.

I need to know if the Superbowl will be up by Feb6 in Tallahasee? These guys are slow. Jax,Orlando,Tampa all have HD in ABC,Fox, and Tnt what is the deal with Tallahassee
post #184 of 4494 Old 01-08-2005, 09:46 AM

Quote:

I need to know if the Superbowl will be up by Feb6 in Tallahasee? These guys are slow. Jax,Orlando,Tampa all have HD in ABC,Fox, and Tnt what is the deal with Tallahassee

Thats the real question isn't it? What is the deal with Tallahassee. What Do Jax, Orlando, and Tampa have that we don't?

Comcast that can get the job done apparently. Ours is unacceptable.
post #185 of 4494 Old 01-08-2005, 10:19 AM
AFH
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

Originally posted by BadMojo11
Thats the real question isn't it? What is the deal with Tallahassee. What Do Jax, Orlando, and Tampa have that we don't?

Comcast that can get the job done apparently. Ours is unacceptable.

I've read the last two commments and it's really hard for me to understand why you do not know the answer to the question you asked above. I lived and went to college in Tally from 1996-2000. I lived in Jacksonville and Miami as well after I got out of college. It's very plain to see what the differences are between Tally and the cities you mentioned. For starters the Tally metro area contains about 270,000 people as opposed to Jax: 1.32 mill, O-Town: 1.65 mill, Tampa: 2.1 mill, Miami/Ft Laud/WPB: 4.8 mill. Next according to this link Nielsen DMAs : Tally is the 109th largest DMA, while Fort Myers-Naples is 68, Jacksonville is 52, Orlando is 20, Miami/FT Laud is 17th, WPB is 39th and Tampa-St Pete is 13th.

Starting with Jax and going up you are easily looking at over half the tv homes in the US. Those cities are much larger tv markets than Tally and there their station owners devote more money to them b/c they are operating in Florida's largest markets/metro areas. That is why all of the stations operating in those markets are doing hd and been do so since at least January 2002 (excluding Fort Myers; didn't start until later). Hd requires stations to spend alot of money and stations in small markets like Tally cannot do it as quickly as the larger markets. Now it does help that Fox corporate provided all of the hd equipment to its affils, so that does help to defray the costs of entry but the other affils do not use the same type of equipment, well PBS does to an extent.

Just look at the recent announcement that Directv will do hd lil 12 top markets during the summer of 05. Tampa is on that list. It will not be long before they get to the top 60 markets. Tallahassee doesn't even figure into that equation right b/c it is not a top television market. That is the bottom line. There are probably more hd viewers on one side of town in Jacksonville then there is in the whole Tally market. That is just the facts. When Tally gets larger then things will change.

Look there are restaurants (Cheesecake Factory, PF Changs, Magginos, Bucca De Peppo, Champps, Roy's, Bahama Breeze) and stores in some Florida cities that Tally does not have and will not have b/c the population/money isn't there. That same line of thought can be applied to the hd have-nots such as Tally and the hd haves.

"I'm going to call them scallywags" - Ollie

Xbox Live: Stunt1on1
post #186 of 4494 Old 01-08-2005, 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by AFH
I've read the last two commments and it's really hard for me to understand why you do not know the answer to the question you asked above. I lived and went to college in Tally from 1996-2000. I lived in Jacksonville and Miami as well after I got out of college. It's very plain to see what the differences are between Tally and the cities you mentioned. For starters the Tally metro area contains about 270,000 people as opposed to Jax: 1.32 mill, O-Town: 1.65 mill, Tampa: 2.1 mill, Miami/Ft Laud/WPB: 4.8 mill. Next according to this link Nielsen DMAs : Tally is the 109th largest DMA, while Fort Myers-Naples is 68, Jacksonville is 52, Orlando is 20, Miami/FT Laud is 17th, WPB is 39th and Tampa-St Pete is 13th.

Starting with Jax and going up you are easily looking at over half the tv homes in the US. Those cities are much larger tv markets than Tally and there their station owners devote more money to them b/c they are operating in Florida's largest markets/metro areas. That is why all of the stations operating in those markets are doing hd and been do so since at least January 2002 (excluding Fort Myers; didn't start until later). Hd requires stations to spend alot of money and stations in small markets like Tally cannot do it as quickly as the larger markets. Now it does help that Fox corporate provided all of the hd equipment to its affils, so that does help to defray the costs of entry but the other affils do not use the same type of equipment, well PBS does to an extent.

Just look at the recent announcement that Directv will do hd lil 12 top markets during the summer of 05. Tampa is on that list. It will not be long before they get to the top 60 markets. Tallahassee doesn't even figure into that equation right b/c it is not a top television market. That is the bottom line. There are probably more hd viewers on one side of town in Jacksonville then there is in the whole Tally market. That is just the facts. When Tally gets larger then things will change.

Look there are restaurants (Cheesecake Factory, PF Changs, Magginos, Bucca De Peppo, Champps, Roy's, Bahama Breeze) and stores in some Florida cities that Tally does not have and will not have b/c the population/money isn't there. That same line of thought can be applied to the hd have-nots such as Tally and the hd haves.

Not that I dispute your point Antonio (I'm originally from SE Fla and am well aware of the differences), but what is it that keeps you responding to this Tally thread? We must have something here that keeps your interest. From your forum tag I guess it may be the coeds?

Scott
sfoltz@ohfc.%com
(remove % to e-mail)
post #187 of 4494 Old 01-08-2005, 12:52 PM
AFH
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

Originally posted by sfoltz
Not that I dispute your point Antonio (I'm originally from SE Fla and am well aware of the differences), but what is it that keeps you responding to this Tally thread? We must have something here that keeps your interest. From your forum tag I guess it may be the coeds?

Just trying to lend some friendly advise!

"I'm going to call them scallywags" - Ollie

Xbox Live: Stunt1on1
post #188 of 4494 Old 01-10-2005, 09:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by NeonDeion
I just spoke to the engineer at WTLH (Fox). He says that are now broadcasting in digital/HD, but at very low power. he is trying to work with the cable company to get the signal to them over Fiber-optic, but doesn't know if that will work.

After I hung up with him, I didn't know if he was talking about Tallahassee's cable company (Comcast) or Bainbridge's cable company, since the affiliate is in Bainbridge. (Maybe Comcast of Tallahassee provides service for both).

If anyone wants to follow up, his # is 850-576-4990. That is a switchboard, ask for engineering.

NeonDeion

Would it be better to get Direct Tv in this area? Comcast and local Tv around Tallahassee are slacking...bad
post #189 of 4494 Old 01-10-2005, 09:25 AM

if the local affiliate isn't trasmitting in HD, then satellite coverage won't make a difference, since satellite's provision of local channels is from the same affiliate.

Comcast works quite well in Tallahassee. It is the local stations that are owned and operated by Sinclair Broadcasting, that are the real problem.

Neon
post #190 of 4494 Old 01-10-2005, 09:30 AM

Quote:

if the local affiliate isn't trasmitting in HD, then satellite coverage won't make a difference, since satellite's provision of local channels is from the same affiliate.

Comcast works quite well in Tallahassee. It is the local stations that are owned and operated by Sinclair Broadcasting, that are the real problem.

Neon

I see no FOX listed as a Sinclair issue. Also note NBC is said to be HDTV ready, ABC is not.

www.sbgi.net/business/markets/tallahassee.shtml
post #191 of 4494 Old 01-10-2005, 03:47 PM

I got this reply from CH. 27's engineering dept. in response to my inquiry on HDTV live date: "It's looking like the week of the 24th but it depends if all the equipment comes in by then. Still a few items we're waiting on." I'm not holding my breath, but maybe there's light at the end of the tunnel. for at least OTA ABC hidef.

As to Fox, I guess I'm one of the few getting the hidef feeds from DirecTV. Sooner or later I'm expecting them to be shut off.

Scott
sfoltz@ohfc.%com
(remove % to e-mail)
post #192 of 4494 Old 01-18-2005, 01:40 PM

I called Comcast today about any future HD channels. This first person I talked to was in Philly and couldn't tell me anything then transfered me back to Tallahassee and that person didn't even know what HD was.

I was wondering if someone with better contacts has any updates.

Thanks,

Fred
post #193 of 4494 Old 01-18-2005, 02:20 PM

Fox is not a sinclair issue. They just started broadcasting, at low power, and are trying to provide their signal to comcast via fiber optic cable. It is not a question of finances between the affiliate and comcast, unlike the NBC and ABC affiliates which are owned or operated by Sinclair.

Sinclair Broadcasting is the devil. For some odd reason, their business model is based on trying to limit the # of persons who will watch their stations.

Neon
post #194 of 4494 Old 01-18-2005, 03:36 PM

Does anyone know when Fox will be providing a signal that someone might actually be able to pick up over the air?
post #195 of 4494 Old 01-18-2005, 03:38 PM

Just a quick survey:
1. Where do you live?
2. Whats your antenna setup?
3. What channels do you consistently receive?

1. I live in Havana.
2. Terk HDTVS (squareshooter) at 10'
3. PBS and CBS
post #196 of 4494 Old 01-18-2005, 04:21 PM

Quote:

For some odd reason, their business model is based on trying to limit the # of persons who will watch their stations.
Neon

LOL

Scott
sfoltz@ohfc.%com
(remove % to e-mail)
post #197 of 4494 Old 01-18-2005, 05:24 PM

Quote:

Just a quick survey:
1. Where do you live?

1. Tallahassee, Northshire Subdivision
2. Do not know the brand of antenna (a neighbor gave it to me), but its an old-fashioned VHF/UHF model. I use it with a Channel Master rotor. I have it mounted above my chimney.
3. ABC (usually solid, but not in hi-def yet), CBS (solid), PBS (solid), NBC (solid), UPN (usually some glitches, also not in hi-def).

Of course I have to use the rotor to pull in all the channels.

Scott
sfoltz@ohfc.%com
(remove % to e-mail)
post #198 of 4494 Old 01-18-2005, 05:37 PM

I live in Goose Creek off Buck Lake Rd. (near Pedrick/Buck Lake Elementary). I am using the Terk TV44 antenna that clips onto the DirecTV dish. I get CBS strong most of the time, NBC strong and ABC strong. I don't PBS or UPN...I am probably going to get a better antenna and mount it in the attic to see if I can do better.

My parents live in Moore Pond off Ox Bottom and they are also using the Terk TV44 clip on antenna and they get NBC strong and CBS sometimes....their problem (at least with CBS) is that their signal is too strong. I had to put an attenuator to get CBS to come in.

Both of us are using the HD DirecTivo. My parents also have a Samsung SIR-TS160 and a Sony HD-200 and they both get CBS much stronger.

Man...I can't wait for ABC and Fox to go on-line HD OTA! Who would have ever thought Tallahassee would have all its networks in HD anytime soon?
post #199 of 4494 Old 01-19-2005, 07:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Fox is not a sinclair issue. They just started broadcasting, at low power, and are trying to provide their signal to comcast via fiber optic cable. It is not a question of finances between the affiliate and comcast, unlike the NBC and ABC affiliates which are owned or operated by Sinclair.

Sinclair Broadcasting is the devil. For some odd reason, their business model is based on trying to limit the # of persons who will watch their stations.

Neon

I've emailed again to see what the deal was. I have yet to get a response if they are digital right now why can't they be up by the Superbowl?
post #200 of 4494 Old 01-19-2005, 12:02 PM

The issue with the FOX affiliate is providing their signal to comcast. Comcast picks up the CBS signal OTA, but the Fox signal is pretty weak to begin with, and is not coming from Tallahassee, but from Bainbridge, GA. So, they are trying to set up a system where comcast gets the signal via fiber optic cable. When I last talked to the engineer at WTLH about 2 weeks ago, he was still waiting to hear from comcast if they could do that.
He wasn't optimistic it could be done for the Super bowl, but didn't rule it out either.

I will try to follow up.

Neon
post #201 of 4494 Old 01-19-2005, 12:36 PM

Quote:

Does anyone know when Fox will be providing a signal that someone might actually be able to pick up over the air?

The most specific response I could get from FOX is...

'The high power build-out will be in Metcalf and must be complete by June 2006. I hope our company will forge ahead before then'
post #202 of 4494 Old 01-19-2005, 12:57 PM

I talked to the engineer at WTLH (Fox affiliate). He is still waiting on comcast to get back to them regarding the fiber optic cable. WTLH's OTA signal is too weak for comcast to pick up.

There is some good news. The ABC affiliate will be up and broadcasting in HD by the end of the first quarter. And even though they are operated by Sinclair, they are not owned by Sinclair AND WILL BE PROVIDING THEIR SIGNAL TO COMCAST!!!!

Neon
post #203 of 4494 Old 01-19-2005, 01:25 PM

Quote:

Just a quick survey:
1. Where do you live?

1. Killearn Lakes
2. Megawave amplified set-top antenna.
3. Consistently receive PBS, NBC, CBS (spotty at times because either the signal may be a little to strong in my area)

Receiving DTV via E* 921HD-PVR
post #204 of 4494 Old 01-20-2005, 11:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:

I talked to the engineer at WTLH (Fox affiliate). He is still waiting on comcast to get back to them regarding the fiber optic cable. WTLH's OTA signal is too weak for comcast to pick up.

There is some good news. The ABC affiliate will be up and broadcasting in HD by the end of the first quarter. And even though they are operated by Sinclair, they are not owned by Sinclair AND WILL BE PROVIDING THEIR SIGNAL TO COMCAST!!!!

Neon

This is good news, I just wish they would do it by February - a sweeps month. Maybe ABC being HD on comcast will put pressure on NBC to do the same. If not, no problem for me since I hardly ever watch NBC anyway. But I am eager to see "Lost" and "Alias" in HD. Now if we can just get WB and UPN to go HD.

"The truth is out there!"
post #205 of 4494 Old 01-20-2005, 11:24 AM

What is stopping ESPN2HD?
post #206 of 4494 Old 01-21-2005, 07:26 AM

I don't know what is holding it up, but it is not a Tallahassee issue. As far as I know, ESPN2HD is not anywhere on cable or satellite.

Neon
post #207 of 4494 Old 01-21-2005, 04:23 PM

Does anyone pickup UPN or ABC consistantly? If so what are you using to get it?
post #208 of 4494 Old 01-22-2005, 11:42 PM

I just obtained a OTA Samsung Receiver and indoor antenna. All I can get are PBS and CBS in my apartment near Southwood. The best I can do is amplified indoor.

From what I understand, I cannot use this receiver to view the HDTV over Comcast cable. Maybe I'm wrong, but I think you have to get digital cable to be able to see these HDTV channels? If anyone has it, would that person care to elaborate?

I can't wait to see my first HDTV NFL game tomorrow!
post #209 of 4494 Old 01-24-2005, 08:27 AM
Advanced Member

This is the email repsonse I got.

We currently run a low power for Bainbridge, which is our city of service.
The cost of adding the additional full power transmitter for HD is
formidable, but will be accomplished by mid 2006. All 3 markets you name
are bigger and they were mandated by the FCC to be ready by June of this
year and that's why they are already up. So to answer your question, I'm
sorry to say we will not be HD here in Tallahassee by Super Bowl Sunday. We
are working with Comcast to add HD to the cable system in the near future.
Thanks for your interest and again sorry it's taking so long....Mike Brown,
CE...

MID '06 that is another complete football season gone! Tallahassee is garbage and very very slow responding to anything technological
post #210 of 4494 Old 01-24-2005, 09:22 AM
Advanced Member

This is the email repsonse I got.

We currently run a low power for Bainbridge, which is our city of service.
The cost of adding the additional full power transmitter for HD is
formidable, but will be accomplished by mid 2006. All 3 markets you name
are bigger and they were mandated by the FCC to be ready by June of this
year and that's why they are already up. So to answer your question, I'm
sorry to say we will not be HD here in Tallahassee by Super Bowl Sunday. We
are working with Comcast to add HD to the cable system in the near future.
Thanks for your interest and again sorry it's taking so long....Mike Brown,
CE...

MID '06 that is another complete football season gone! Tallahassee is garbage and very very slow responding to anything technological
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page