post #271 of 5657 Old 12-09-2004, 09:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally posted by arock
I live near Gammon and Old Sauk. I had difficulty getting strong signals until I put up a rooftop antenna. Difficult to tell if it was the additional height or getting outside the aluminum siding of my house that made the difference. YMMV, so try a simple antenna first.

Hey arock...I live down the street from ya and I've been unsuccessful in getting fox 47.1 to come in. The other day, D* hooked up a Winegard rooftop to my dish (not sure which model but it looks like the starship enterprise). Could it be that the antenna they hooked me up with is UHF only or am I just not getting a signal due to this bad weather we've been having? What are you using and has it worked for ya? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 5657 Old 12-09-2004, 09:25 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally posted by Maestro J
Hey arock...I live down the street from ya and I've been unsuccessful in getting fox 47.1 to come in. The other day, D* hooked up a Winegard rooftop to my dish (not sure which model but it looks like the starship enterprise). Could it be that the antenna they hooked me up with is UHF only or am I just not getting a signal due to this bad weather we've been having? What are you using and has it worked for ya? Thanks!

I have the Channel Master 3010 StealthTenna. I doubt the recent weather would be much of a factor, but to be honest I've only tuned to 47-1 once in the past few days (Tuesday to record House). I just checked now, and 47-1 is coming in just fine. If you can receive 3-1, 21-1, and 27-1, you should be able to get 47-1 (they all come from the community tower). I would find out the exact model antenna they installed. Others here say that analog 11 should come in even with a UHF-only antenna - I don't really know. Good luck!
post #273 of 5657 Old 12-09-2004, 09:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
I have the Channel Master 3010 StealthTenna. I doubt the recent weather would be much of a factor, but to be honest I've only tuned to 47-1 once in the past few days (Tuesday to record House). I just checked now, and 47-1 is coming in just fine. If you can receive 3-1, 21-1, and 27-1, you should be able to get 47-1 (they all come from the community tower). I would find out the exact model antenna they installed. Others here say that analog 11 should come in even with a UHF-only antenna - I don't really know. Good luck!

Thanks. I'm sure they will send somebody to check it out once I've placed a call. At least I know I SHOULD be getting a signal.
post #274 of 5657 Old 12-10-2004, 09:49 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally posted by MrBeetle
CBS-HD does not charge us.
NBC-HD does not charge us.
ABC-HD does not charge us.

Sinclair is the only one who wants to. And, as sad as it seems - when a network conglomerate has ~180 stations nationwide, and not a SINGLE ONE is avaliable in HD over cable or dish, things do not look good.
(note - these are my opinions only, and do not represent those of my employer) [/b]

Thanks for the comments... but, where do you get 180 from? Sinclair only owns 60 stations. And some ARE on cable, even in other markets on Charter from what I understand.

What the other stations in town do isn't really our concern.

And, like I said, I see both sides! I think it SHOULD be on cable, I'd rather have more people see all the hard work I put in to help get HD passed through. But, I couldn't see myself personally spending $300 for a set-top box to watch only 5 HD channels, and usually only in primetime. I'd want ESPN, Discovery, HBO, Showtime, etc all in HD as well.

But whatever, I think you should be bitching about how much ESPN charges, $2.00 a household?

I'm sure our corporate HQ's will come to some resolve at some point.

I have to ditto this:
note - these are my opinions only, and do not represent those of my
employer
post #275 of 5657 Old 12-10-2004, 10:01 AM

I guess I should have done more research

I think my 180 comment got mixed up with the # of fox stations... and as for the HD over cable, that was just what I was told by some higher-ups. I apologize if it was wrong.

As for the ESPN, I agree there as well - too bad those $100M+ contracts don't pay themselves. Eventually, that is where the cash goes to. I for one despise bundling, but do see the necessity of it. Although total alacarte will not work, I would like to see everything broken up into 10-12 channel tiers. (Although we need to be all-digital to make something like this fiesable)

Personally, as a cable user, I wish charter would just sign an agreement (I have no clue how much $$$ you are asking for) and have Fox-HD as it's own tier, and cost that amount.

However, as somone who works for charter, I feel it would set a pretty bad precident. I'm not sure if we pay to redistribute your analog signal (not sure how the must-carry laws work) but assuming we dont... What happens when the transition to digital-only happens? Do we continue to pay? Do we have to charge to pass out our analog version of fox? I feel it just opens a pretty large can of worms...

Once again - These are my opinions only, and do not represent those of my employer.
post #276 of 5657 Old 12-10-2004, 11:25 AM

mattymo - I appreciate the hard work to get 47-1 going. However, I am still experiencing severe sound glitches on HD broadcasts. For example: last week's House episode, the Mr. Deeds broadcast on Thanksgiving weekend, etc. Any update on debugging that problem?

Thanks,
_arock
post #277 of 5657 Old 12-10-2004, 11:46 AM

Quote:
mattymo - I appreciate the hard work to get 47-1 going. However, I am still experiencing severe sound glitches on HD broadcasts. For example: last week's House episode, the Mr. Deeds broadcast on Thanksgiving weekend, etc. Any update on debugging that problem?

Thanks,
_arock

Let me know if it's happened since Sunday 12/5. With what happened to HD prior to this weekend, we discovered that something was connected wrong by our FOX installer, this was fixed on Monday or Tuesday.

As for re-transmission agreements. I know that you have to carry UPN 14 to be able to have channel 3's signal. At least that was the case at one point in time. I thought at one point when FOX negotiated re-trans agreements for affiliates, that they wanted to make sure F/X or FOX Family were on a tier, and stuff like that. I think those things are just a way for companies to get back at each other for something or another.

I personally don't think Analog TV is going away any time soon. Too big of a public outcry will occur. Just think of all the 2nd, 3rd, 4th TV sets, not to mention lil portables that will be landfill fodder if this happens.

If anything, I just want to see our HD on cable, just so I don't have to reply to all these emails! haha

Once again again - These are my opinions only, and do not represent those of my employer.
post #278 of 5657 Old 12-10-2004, 12:27 PM

I'm working on updating my Pronto remote and want to get better channel logos for the locals. Does anybody have good logos for:

ABC27 ABC27-DT
CBS3 CBS3-DT
NBC15 NBC15-DT
Fox 47 Fox 47-DT
UPN14 UPN14-DT
WB57 WB57-DT
PBS HD PBS2

I have some logos for all, but am not really satisfied with any of them. They are all just OK on the remote. Please let me know if you can help.

Sail
post #279 of 5657 Old 12-10-2004, 09:37 PM
AVS Special Member

I sure hope Charter adds INHD and INHD2!!! Watch them jack the price from 3.99 up to like 12.99. ESPN2-HD premieres in JAN as well.

I have Janesville Charter and they have Rockford analog CBS, NBC, ABC and FOX can they get the DT stations as well or is it limited to only Madison? That'll never happen but just curious.
post #280 of 5657 Old 12-11-2004, 07:48 PM

I got my TV from brother's main eventually.. I was reading through old posts and someone said they couldn't find the 57S715 (Hitachi) from anywhere but American. Brother's has it and is much much cheaper.

Anyways, I also purchased a Terk TV5 indoor antenna from Circuit City before i got my Tv. all my signal strengths are betwen 85-90 which is wonderful. I read some good reviews about the performance of this indoor antenna and I can say I was pleasantly suprised.

The one thing I thought was very strange (and maybe someone can shed some light on this one) is the way the channel scan worked on the set. I hooked the antenna up to input 1 and scanned the channels. I only found fox... which was alarming. After looking around in the menu's, I stumbedl across an antenna hookup menu that had three options
1) Connect Cable to Ant A and Air to Ant B
2) connect Cable to Ant A Only
3) connect Air to Ant A only

so I had to switch it to 3 and then everything worked quite well. I guess the frequencies it scans for must be different.

My two cents on charter - Why is buying cable llike buying a used car? My friends and I have had totally different experiences getting good prices on cable. I think it's totally bogus that two people have the same packages and pay different prices. I also found it annoying that they wouldn't give me the HD box until I "had" a HDTV. I ended up agreeing, and then calling someone else to say "I'll come pick it up and do it myself". It doesn't take a genius to hook up the motorola 6200 to a 480i tv... What do they care what kind of TV I have???
post #281 of 5657 Old 12-13-2004, 11:21 AM

I didn't think to look at brothers cause they seem to have such a limited selection when I go in there. Only been in like twice in recent years.

Still, got it on layaway at american with no terms and $225 on it. After their family days sale, it went down to like $2156 including tax. Not bad I don't think for a 57 incher.

After the holidays I'll be paying it off. I hope.
post #282 of 5657 Old 12-13-2004, 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by ehren
I sure hope Charter adds INHD and INHD2!!! Watch them jack the price from 3.99 up to like 12.99. ESPN2-HD premieres in JAN as well.

I have Janesville Charter and they have Rockford analog CBS, NBC, ABC and FOX can they get the DT stations as well or is it limited to only Madison? That'll never happen but just curious.

I'm in the same boat. But that is a great question, Does Charter have negotiations ongoing with the Rockford FOX for HD? Would the Janesville area receive this? WREX is owned by Nextstar, not Sinclair right? I know I am probably grasping at straws, but a little info might make the the decision to buy a OTA receiver easier.
post #283 of 5657 Old 12-13-2004, 04:38 PM
AVS Special Member

LOL we'd get all the Bears games in HD before the Packers, YUCK!

I wanna dump Charter so bad but my wife won't let me cause of the cable modem.
post #284 of 5657 Old 12-13-2004, 10:42 PM
SRR
AVS Special Member

I think my Sylvania SRZ3000 bought the big one, and now I am looking for a new HDTV receiver. Anyone know of a local place that stocks the LG 4200? Since I have Dish network should I see what dish will offer me as far as a HD tuner goes?
post #285 of 5657 Old 12-14-2004, 06:17 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by ehren
LOL we'd get all the Bears games in HD before the Packers, YUCK!

I wanna dump Charter so bad but my wife won't let me cause of the cable modem.

You can dump charter for TV and keep the cable internet service. I did that about 4 months ago. They did charge a $20 trip charge to put a filter on my line to block basic cable.
post #286 of 5657 Old 12-14-2004, 06:55 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

Originally posted by isyp
You can dump charter for TV and keep the cable internet service. I did that about 4 months ago. They did charge a $20 trip charge to put a filter on my line to block basic cable.

Don't forget the $10/month extra for internet 'ala carte'. (They had gotten rid of this charge for about a year, but its back now. They waive it if you get charter local telephone (which I have), but otherwise if internet is all you have, it is an additional $10 on top of the $30 or $40 for internet service.
post #287 of 5657 Old 12-14-2004, 07:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Does anyone know if Madison's or Green Bay's fox stations will be upping their power at any point? I live just south of Wausau and can pick up NBC out of Eau Claire for HD, but I can't get HD fox from anywhere.

I was really disapointed when I heard that the super bowl will be on Fox

The whole first season of the NASCAR season is going to be a bummer unless I can get HD from somewhere (Wausau's fox station isn't going to be HD for a long time).
post #288 of 5657 Old 12-14-2004, 07:53 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by sterno3
Don't forget the $10/month extra for internet 'ala carte'. (They had gotten rid of this charge for about a year, but its back now.

I don't have a separate ala carte charge on my bill. It's $40 for the 3 Mb plan. Although, the recently sent me a letter informing me that if I want to stay at 3Mb it's going to cost me $50 starting Jan. 2005. Otherwise for the $40 they'll be happy to downgrade my service to 384Kb. This is the second $10 increase in less than 1 year, and yes the first one was when I had the full run of Charter services. All they have to do is hit me with one more increase and it's DSL time. As it is with modem rental and misc taxes I'm looking at about $60 / month for internet service next year. I guess maybe I am getting stuck with the ala carte charge after all, they just aren't telling me. No Charter phone service in this area so that's not an option. I'm getting service from the FDL headend. They seem to run years behind Madison.
post #289 of 5657 Old 12-14-2004, 08:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by isyp
I don't have a separate ala carte charge on my bill. It's $40 for the 3 Mb plan. Although, the recently sent me a letter informing me that if I want to stay at 3Mb it's going to cost me $50 starting Jan. 2005.
... I guess maybe I am getting stuck with the ala carte charge after all, they just aren't telling me. No Charter phone service in this area so that's not an option. I'm getting service from the FDL headend. They seem to run years behind Madison.

yeah, it might not be an ala carte charge, it might be a 'bundling discount' of $10 if you have both...at that point its a excercise in semantics.

the phone service is good so far (its really VOIP). I have vonage as well (i will get rid of it when I am satisfied with Charter), and the quality & reliabuility of charter is off the charts compared with Vonage (which is going over my '384' charter internet--in reality i am only getting right around 100 mb).
post #290 of 5657 Old 12-14-2004, 02:05 PM

mattymo - Is there a reason why you are using 0x21 and 0x24 for the video and audio PIDs in the Fox47 HD transport stream? If you only have one subchannel, it's more typical to use 0x11 and 0x14. Just curious.

Thanks,
_arock
post #291 of 5657 Old 12-14-2004, 04:05 PM

If there is, I don't know why.

That's how it was setup when it first was installed, and that's how it stayed.
post #292 of 5657 Old 12-14-2004, 04:38 PM

OK, thanks. Looks like WBUW-DT is 0x21 and 0x24 also. *Shrug*

_arock
post #293 of 5657 Old 12-14-2004, 06:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Wow I had no idea Charter had dropped the $10 fee for only having internet service. I actually saw the 3meg commercial for 26.95 for new subs and I called to ask if existing customers could get the deal and she told me I had the lowest speed of service and she upgraded me and also dropped the modem fee and I have been getting the 26.95 rate since I think August. But it's only good till the end of this year so I will see what I can get come the new year.

Sucks too my wife and I have cell phones and no land line service so DSL is not a cheaper option.
post #294 of 5657 Old 12-14-2004, 07:24 PM

For what it's worth, charter phone is VOIP to the headend, and then copper to wherever... not quite the same as vonage which is VOIP from phone to final area code...
post #295 of 5657 Old 12-15-2004, 05:36 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by mattymo
Let me know if it's happened since Sunday 12/5. With what happened to HD prior to this weekend, we discovered that something was connected wrong by our FOX installer, this was fixed on Monday or Tuesday.

This week's House was fine, as was the Packers game Sunday. Thanks!

_arock
post #296 of 5657 Old 12-15-2004, 04:25 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Originally posted by sterno3
yeah, it might not be an ala carte charge, it might be a 'bundling discount' of $10 if you have both...at that point its a excercise in semantics.

the phone service is good so far (its really VOIP). I have vonage as well (i will get rid of it when I am satisfied with Charter), and the quality & reliabuility of charter is off the charts compared with Vonage (which is going over my '384' charter internet--in reality i am only getting right around 100 mb).

Hey Mike,
enjoying that Rational XDE? -sorry guys, inside joke.

I'm curious about Charter's VOIP. Can you provide some info. regarding pricing? Currently I have Verizon DSL, but I'm no longer satisfied with it's 768k service. I'd consider bundling Charter internet with VOIP if it's a decent savings (right now I'm paying only $29.99 for DSL). This is a bit off topic for the thread, so members chime in if you feel this should be moved to a PM.
post #297 of 5657 Old 12-15-2004, 08:13 PM

Quote:

mattymo - Is there a reason why you are using 0x21 and 0x24 for the video and audio PIDs in the Fox47 HD transport stream? If you only have one subchannel, it's more typical to use 0x11 and 0x14. Just curious.

Thanks,
_arock

Off-topic question: arock, what do you use to see the PIDs? I'm curious if it's a consumer-type device or a professional stream analyzer.

Does everyone know that effective February 1st, all DTV stations are required to transmit a program guide (among their other PIDs)?

* DISCLAIMER *

All opinions in this message are solely my own and in no way reflect the view of my employer (NYSE:GTN), expressed or implied, since I still have a mortgage and two kids in school, although you may have other rights which vary from state to state. Any rebroadcast without the express written consent of the National Football League is prohibited. Caution: contents are hot. Not a flying toy.

Tom Weeden
Chief Engineer, WMTV "NBC15"
Madison, WI
Amateur Radio WJ9H
Twitter: @WMTVtech
post #298 of 5657 Old 12-16-2004, 06:21 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Tom Weeden
Off-topic question: arock, what do you use to see the PIDs? I'm curious if it's a consumer-type device or a professional stream analyzer.

Tom, it's all consumer software tools. I have a few ways to analyze a transport stream. If I have a transport stream on disk already (recorded with the MyHD card, etc.), I can use the NIST DASE ATSC/MPEG2 parser. It's available at http://www.itl.nist.gov/div895/cmr/dase/download.html for a free download. Recently, I found that a Mac OS X driver is available for the DVICO FusionHDTV 3 Gold QAM-T card, and he includes a simple stream parser which can analyze a live broadcast stream. His tools are at http://www.defyne.org/dvb/, again free and open source. Lots of other software choices exist, including livdvbpsi (which the Roku HD1000 hardware box and VLC software use) at http://developers.videolan.org/libdvbpsi/.
Quote:

Originally posted by Tom Weeden
Does everyone know that effective February 1st, all DTV stations are required to transmit a program guide (among their other PIDs)?

That will be good - my old Samsung SIR-T150 has the ability to extract the guide from the stream. How much guide will you be adding? The bare minumum would be EIT-0 (current 3 hour segment and prog names) I guess. ETT (prog description) info would be nice.

_arock
post #299 of 5657 Old 12-16-2004, 07:13 PM

Quote:

How much guide will you be adding? The bare minumum would be EIT-0 (current 3 hour segment and prog names) I guess. ETT (prog description) info would be nice.

_arock

FCC is requiring a minimum of 12 hours (EIT-0 through EIT-3). I imagine we'll do more than that, probably a week's worth (my opinion only, see rambling disclaimer above), but that depends on the data service we're subscribing to, and how easy it is for someone in the control room to be able to change it at the last minute (breaking news, sports overtimes, etc). I don't know if ETT is required, or if our hardware/software is going to support it. If I were a viewer (and I am one occasionally ), I'd want to have program descriptions available. We'll see when the equipment shows up, I'm told that's supposed to be late December.

Thanks for the stream monitoring info. We bought an ATI HD-Wonder card in August to try to record some Olympics highlights for future display, but had problems getting it to work in a computer with a non-ATI video chipset. That's my only venture into PC reception of DTV.

Tom Weeden
Chief Engineer, WMTV "NBC15"
Madison, WI
Amateur Radio WJ9H
Twitter: @WMTVtech
post #300 of 5657 Old 12-16-2004, 07:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by cgengler
Hey Mike,
enjoying that Rational XDE? -sorry guys, inside joke.

I'm curious about Charter's VOIP. Can you provide some info. regarding pricing? Currently I have Verizon DSL, but I'm no longer satisfied with it's 768k service. I'd consider bundling Charter internet with VOIP if it's a decent savings (right now I'm paying only $29.99 for DSL). This is a bit off topic for the thread, so members chime in if you feel this should be moved to a PM.

The voice quality & features (for the price) is outstanding, I have had no complaints. (Aside from being mislead as to what areas are considered 'local' calls, the service has been great.)

I currently have the $19.97/month plan which includes all local calling (as long as I don't have to dial 1), call waiting, callerId, voicemail etc. I also have the 384k service, which is more like 100k average. That is $30 (with the $10 bundling discount because of phone--i don't have cable tv).

Apparently i can do the 'double play' which includes unlimited local & long distance & an upgrade to the 3MB service. I am still debating whether it's worth it, but so far its saving me money.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page