Forum Jump: 

post #5371 of 5645 Old 05-04-2012, 11:04 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phase700B View Post

Wondering if WKOW has other signal issues? This morning, and even during other parts of the day, WKOW signal is erratic and breaks up dropping in and out. . . then, suddenly, becomes rock solid for hours on end. The next day. . . same thing. Are there signal tests they do in the morning or lower power transistions going on? This has actually been going on for maybe just over a month or maybe two. I posted this before and some said tropo or some other issue, yet all other channels on the tower are fine.

I'm near Edgerton on a ridge and get both Rockford and Madison channels usually at 75% to 100% locked using a just a roof top 5 element rat shack antenna I've used for 6 years (with a 2 port distribution amp for two feeds). No other signal issues at all.

This does not seem like some weather issue. As I said, all other channels are fine and so is WKOW. . . when suddenly it goes erratic. I check the other channels when this happens and they are a solid signal level. And suddenly the WKOW signal will become rock solid as the others and be fine???

I've noticed this issue also. I live about 5 miles south of Edgerton and with my indoor antenna setup WKOW has always been my best station coming in around 80% all the time, but when this happens the station will drop out or my signal will bounce erratically from the upper 40's to the 70's and cause numersous break ups. Wind usually causes this to happen, and I do live in a moderately wooded area, but I uaually notice this on days where there is no wind or very little. Also like your situtation other channels don't seem to be affected.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5372 of 5645 Old 05-05-2012, 07:36 AM

Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim920 View Post

I've noticed this issue also. I live about 5 miles south of Edgerton and with my indoor antenna setup WKOW has always been my best station coming in around 80% all the time, but when this happens the station will drop out or my signal will bounce erratically from the upper 40's to the 70's and cause numersous break ups. Wind usually causes this to happen, and I do live in a moderately wooded area, but I uaually notice this on days where there is no wind or very little. Also like your situtation other channels don't seem to be affected.

Thanks for the input. I don't think wind is a factor nor trees and foliage in my area because it happens when there is no wind present and certainly no leave two months ago. And that's what I get . . . the signal bouncing around about the same range you mention, but mine are perhaps 30% to 70% and breaks ups and then signal dropped and can't lock for minutes at a time.

I'm almost wondering if it's flocks of birds (geese?) or air traffic of some sort . . . maybe the new power high line along I-90/I-43? Wild guesses . . . and if it was the power line I would think t would be more constant.
post #5373 of 5645 Old 05-07-2012, 04:04 PM

Liked: 12
Got a letter in the mail today with a list of HD channels Charter will be adding to the Madison system.

Still no WGN America HD (Arrrrrrrgh!!!!!) but it's a start. Bunch of new channels coming June 5 and premium channels June 12...

Expanded basic (starts 6/5/12):
657 - MTV2 HD
680 - CNN HD
683 - HLN HD
693 - Cartoon Network HD
720 - TCM HD
721 - TV Land HD
722 - GSN HD
723 - G4 GD

Digital View (starts 6/5/12):
724 - We HD

Digital View Plus (starts 6/5/12):
658 - gmc HD (also in Faith & Values tier)
694 - the HUB HD
725 - OWN HD
726 - H2 HD (History Channel Intl.)
727 - BBC America HD

Sports View HD (starts 6/5/12):
671 - Tennis Channel HD

Latino View HD (starts 6/5/12):
693 - Cartoon Network HD

Premium HD (starts 6/12/12):
491 - EPIX HD
551 - HBO2 HD
552 - HBO Family
553 - HBO Signature
561 - MoreMAX
562 - ActionMAX
571 - Starz Cinema
572 - Starz in Black
573 - Starz Kids & Family
575 - Encore
581 - SHO Showcase
582 - Showtime Too
583 - SHO Extreme
591 - TMC Extra
post #5374 of 5645 Old 05-08-2012, 09:21 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 60
@jimboy

What happened to your post? I see the e-mail, but the actual posting is gone.

I knew I was going to post something about it last night and got sidetracked. Because G19 was clean, I never looked at G28.

"What do you say Beckett. Wanna have a baby?" - Castle to Det. Beckett
"How Long have I been gone?" Alexis after arriving home and seeing Castle and Beckett w/ the baby - Castle - 11/25/13
Mr. Video
My Geek Images

post #5375 of 5645 Old 05-08-2012, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvideo View Post

@jimboy

What happened to your post? I see the e-mail, but the actual posting is gone.

I knew I was going to post something about it last night and got sidetracked. Because G19 was clean, I never looked at G28.

Spoke too soon....
G-19 was clean but I had hits on the G-28 feed at 6:15pm (way before prime).
G-28 was clean during actual programming.
I'll keep checking.....
post #5376 of 5645 Old 05-08-2012, 09:46 AM
AVS Club Gold

^^^
Ah, OK.

"How Long have I been gone?" Alexis after arriving home and seeing Castle and Beckett w/ the baby - Castle - 11/25/13
Mr. Video
My Geek Images

post #5377 of 5645 Old 05-08-2012, 09:51 AM

It's great to see that Charter is adding more HD stations,,, but where is The Weather Channel HD ? I remember reading that TWC HD was one of the first HD stations that Charter added to it's California line-up,,, but that was years ago. Why wouldn't Charter carry that station in Wisconsin ?
post #5378 of 5645 Old 05-08-2012, 10:05 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by marky6841 View Post

It's great to see that Charter is adding more HD stations,,, but where is The Weather Channel HD ? I remember reading that TWC HD was one of the first HD stations that Charter added to it's California line-up,,, but that was years ago. Why wouldn't Charter carry that station in Wisconsin ?

Good Morning,

Unfortunately it is not scheduled for this round of additions but we can definitely submit a request for you!

Thanks,

Dylan
post #5379 of 5645 Old 05-08-2012, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umatter2Charter View Post

Good Morning,

Unfortunately it is not scheduled for this round of additions but we can definitely submit a request for you!

Thanks,

Dylan

Umatter,

Ditto my vote for Weather Channel HD.'

What, if any, analog channels will Madison, WI lose with this upgrade?

Thanks,
Brad
post #5380 of 5645 Old 05-08-2012, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadCityBrad View Post

Umatter,

Ditto my vote for Weather Channel HD.'

What, if any, analog channels will Madison, WI lose with this upgrade?

Thanks,
Brad

Good afternoon,

Thanks for the request. We do not show any analog to digital moves with this round of additions.

George
post #5381 of 5645 Old 05-09-2012, 07:39 AM

Quote:

^^^
Ah, OK.

Last Night (5-8)
G-19 4060 was clean
G-28 3880 had CE hits at 7:01, 7:05, 7:09, 7:19, 7:21, and 7:26.
post #5382 of 5645 Old 05-09-2012, 10:27 AM
AVS Club Gold

You have two analyzers? In any event, I figure that you will end up calling New York, if you haven't already.

Mr. Video
My Geek Images

post #5383 of 5645 Old 05-09-2012, 10:47 AM

Quote:

You have two analyzers? In any event, I figure that you will end up calling New York, if you haven't already.

One analyzer - Four ASI Inputs
New York has been notified.
post #5384 of 5645 Old 05-09-2012, 10:50 AM
AVS Club Gold

Ooooh! A 4-in-1 box. How nice.

Mr. Video
My Geek Images

post #5385 of 5645 Old 05-11-2012, 08:14 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phase700B View Post

Thanks for the input. I don't think wind is a factor nor trees and foliage in my area because it happens when there is no wind present and certainly no leave two months ago. And that's what I get . . . the signal bouncing around about the same range you mention, but mine are perhaps 30% to 70% and breaks ups and then signal dropped and can't lock for minutes at a time.

I'm almost wondering if it's flocks of birds (geese?) or air traffic of some sort . . . maybe the new power high line along I-90/I-43? Wild guesses . . . and if it was the power line I would think t would be more constant.

Many years ago (in the old analog days), WMTV had a similar problem near Edgerton in what I recall was a trailer park. Viewers were reporting everything from wavy lines in the picture to a completely black screen on channel 15. We went down there with a spectrum analyzer and saw a rogue signal right in the middle of the channel. We triangulated it (just like you did George M!) and found the source of the signal to be an antenna preamp that had gone into oscillation and was radiating out the antenna into the neighborhood. When we asked the owner of the home to turn off the power to the preamp, everyone else's reception cleared up. I remember that this was a Winegard antenna that was shaped like an airplane wing with an integrated preamp.

With digital TV, interference is going to cause an increase in bit error rate (which is what the "signal" meter is really reading, not signal strength).

Now why this is only happening at certain times of day is anyone's guess. I've heard of certain types of fluorescent lights and nearby FM stations affecting VHF channels, but that's unlikely on UHF channel 26. It could be a lot of things. But my money's on a neighbor's preamp that is on the edge of going south depending on the outside temperature or the sun heating it up. Or a drifting signal source that might affect channel 25 at some times, then it drifts up into channel 26, giving you problems.

Tom Weeden
Chief Engineer, WMTV "NBC15"
Madison, WI
Amateur Radio WJ9H
Twitter: @WMTVtech
post #5386 of 5645 Old 05-31-2012, 07:08 PM
AVS Club Gold

I won't be watching, since I'm capturing the feed at the moment.

Has WKOW fixed their screwed up server? Will the audio be fixed? Will the messed up video be fixed?

Mr. Video
My Geek Images

post #5387 of 5645 Old 07-27-2012, 07:59 AM
feh

Anybody still here? No new posts in 2 months?

Just wondering if a new thread was started for the Madison area...
post #5388 of 5645 Old 07-27-2012, 01:14 PM
AVS Club Gold

Yes. Not that I know of. Nice and quiet.

Mr. Video
My Geek Images

post #5389 of 5645 Old 07-30-2012, 07:32 AM

Liked: 19
I'm still here. Waiting for someone to need info.

Max Vrany
All opinions are my own unless otherwise specified.
I make no guarantees as to the accuracy of any information given.
GO Pack GO! On Wisconsin! Go Brewers!
post #5390 of 5645 Old 08-03-2012, 05:47 AM

Well I started typing this and it got "lost".Seems to happen a lot lately here on AVS.

Well, not much happening here so I thought I'd post some interesting (hopefully) info on my local TV reception this morning. I had scanned channels on my LG 42LD550 some time ago and had a few channels in memory that only came in occasionally. But here thery were rock solid with 60% to 90% signal level and +90% signal quality. The LG gives both signal level and quality readings. I'm on the north side of Janesville just off I-90 and Hwy 26 near a ridge on Rotamer Rd. I have a 5 element UHF-VHF rat shack antenna in the garage attic space aimed S-SW and pick up Madison channels off the back side mostly.

On a whim, I rescanned channels and got WCGV TV24 out of Milwaukee and a slew of channels form Iowa and WMEC 22 from Macomb (?) Illinois.

Here are the channels I am still getting:

WHBF 4 Rock Island
KWQC 6 Davenport, IA
WQAD 8 Moline IA
WMBD 31 Peoria IL
KQIN 36 Davenport IA
WCGV 24 Milwaukee
WMEC 22 Macomb, Ill ?

What I find interesting is getting WCGV off the "side" of the antenna from Milwaukee. Also, I noticed nothing on channel 21 WHA out of Madison on my other bedroom TV. Apparently WMEC was so strong it knocked out 21 from Madison coming in from the back side of my antenna. I also have an SVI 2 port RF booster connected up mid within 20 feet of the antenna to feed another 40 to 50 feet of RG6 coax to the two TVs we have.

I know it must be summer atmospherics at work here, but still always interesting and fun to get some TV DX.
post #5391 of 5645 Old 08-04-2012, 08:41 PM

I noticed the "Family Night" telecast Friday night was on Fox 47 (WMSN) instead of WKOW. Has WMSN won the rights for the Packers Television Network slate of preseason games away from WKOW? If so, does this mean we'll have to watch the Packers network programming in SD, like last night? I hope not!
post #5392 of 5645 Old 08-04-2012, 08:48 PM
AVS Club Gold

If you did a little looking on the WKOW website, you would have found, within a minute, that the WKOW group of stations will be carrying the pre-season games.

Mr. Video
My Geek Images

post #5393 of 5645 Old 08-04-2012, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvideo View Post

If you did a little looking on the WKOW website, you would have found, within a minute, that the WKOW group of stations will be carrying the pre-season games.

Hey, thanks for a characteristically pompous response. Wouldn't expect anything less of you, Mr. V!

I still don't see anything on WKOW's website about the Packers games (though I did notice before posting that WKOW was listed on the Packer website's map of affiliates). Just confused as to why the family night scrimmage was on WMSN, as it's presumably in the same package of games.

I forgot how soon preseason football starts; turns out I was able to go to zap2it and pull up the schedule for 8/16, when the first Packers Television Network game airs. Looks like it will indeed be on WKOW. Glad we won't have to deal with WMSN's inability to broadcast anything other than Fox in HD. I realize times are tight, but I hope they get their upgrade done soon. It'd be nice to watch the syndicated college games on WMSN in HD.
post #5394 of 5645 Old 08-04-2012, 09:27 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBurgundy View Post

Hey, thanks for a characteristically pompous response. Wouldn't expect anything less of you, Mr. V!

I've been hit plenty of times for not looking first.
Quote:
I still don't see anything on WKOW's website about the Packers games

Search box: packers preseason games

About the 4th item down the list.

For old stuff, I've learned that one has to do a search of the site. Not just WKOW, but websites in general.

Mr. Video
My Geek Images

post #5395 of 5645 Old 08-05-2012, 05:24 PM

Liked: 19
Packers Family Night is produced by FOX affiliate WLUK in Green Bay and presumably right of first refusal is given to FOX stations. (WLUK and WMSN have different parents).

Packers Pre-Season games used to be co-produced by WTMJ Milwaukee, WFRV Green Bay, and CBS. Statewide TV rights are controlled by the Packers. That's why WKOW (and the rest of Quincy's Wisconsin cluster) airs them instead of WISC or WMTV. Now that the preseason rights have transferred from CBS affiliate WFRV to WTMJ sister station and NBC affiliate WGBA, I don't know if NBC or someone else will produce them.

Kind-of related tidbit: Normally WTMJ and WGBA would have an issue where the preseason games would intrude on NBC's non-preemptable Olympic coverage. Since the Olympics started a little earlier this year, and the Packers First game is on ESPN, there's no issue.

Max Vrany
All opinions are my own unless otherwise specified.
I make no guarantees as to the accuracy of any information given.
GO Pack GO! On Wisconsin! Go Brewers!
post #5396 of 5645 Old 08-07-2012, 09:28 AM

Umatter,

Is Madison WI still on track for the Sept 2012 roll out of 20 more HD channels?
And for the next 30 that are/were scheduled for December 2012?

Thanks
post #5397 of 5645 Old 08-07-2012, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadCityBrad View Post

Umatter,
Is Madison WI still on track for the Sept 2012 roll out of 20 more HD channels?
And for the next 30 that are/were scheduled for December 2012?
Thanks

Good Afternoon,

All upcoming channel changes and additions will be communicated through http://www.charter.com/channelchanges as information becomes available. The only information available outside of what is available on the site is that we are on track to have 100+ HD Channels in all markets by the end of the year.

Thanks,

Dylan
post #5398 of 5645 Old 08-08-2012, 06:48 AM

Is there some problem with WMTV 15 this morning.. and some other mornings? From 5 AM till about 8:15 AM there was no signal.. . zip. Then, gradually a weak signal started to allow reception, but still is breaking up currently. IIRC, WMTV 15 is UHF 19. Usually, we have issues like this with WKOW 27 in the early morning hours , but occasionally 15 does it also like today. And 27 is just fine. So if it's some multipath thing or other equipment radiating spurious signals why trouble with 27 sometimes and 15 others?

Ever since all the channels went digital, this kind of thing seems to happen. I am still in the same location and using the same antenna with a 2 port booster amp on 3 different TVs and when it happens all the TVs have no 15 or 27. And it is always in the early 5 AM to 8AM time period. It always clears up after that and is good for the rest of the day. We are on the north side of Janesville up on a ridge and get fantastic reception as noted in my previous posts up in this thread. I have even tried disconnecting the booster amp, took a TV out into the garage where the feed comes from the antenna, and connected the TV to a 15' RG6 cable direct from the antenna. Same issue.

Criminy, I guess I need to get a signal analyzer, tunable RF meter and who knows what else to see what's happening. rolleyes.gif
post #5399 of 5645 Old 08-08-2012, 09:50 AM

Liked: 11
Jumping Jiminy, are there 50 more HD channels out there? Or more likely, more HD premium channels.
post #5400 of 5645 Old 08-08-2012, 11:59 AM

Here is a link to national HD lineups by company.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1058081/official-avs-national-hd-channel-lineups-cable-dbs-fiber-iptv-updated-5-26-12

On the Charter conference call yesterday, they said that they plan to carry their entire channel lineup in HD.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page