post #5641 of 5646 Old 06-04-2014, 09:39 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBurgundy View Post

1) "Crystal clear HD video" is just marketing. To the average joe, yes, their HD looks "crystal clear." especially if they figure out how to tune into the HD channel instead of the lower channel numbers they're used to. When we had Charter's TV service, I thought their HD quality was good. Certainly better than Uverse, which we've also tried. (We've cut the cord for the summer -- will probably be back with Charter for TV once college football resumes in the fall. We still have Charter Internet.)

Unfortunately I have to agree. The "normal" viewer will never see what can be wrong with the HD video. And you are right about not tuning the HD channels. The Ex and her husband never seem to tune in the HD channels. It is always tune to one of the lower SD channels. I've given up and trying to get them to tune in HD and they have an HD monitor.
Quote:
2) Charter also offers a 100 Mbps speed tier. And TDS FTTH is available to such a small subset of the market that it's barely even relevant to the conversation (but man, do I wish that service was available here in Madison!). Also, many of the areas that TDS lists as having "fiber" service are still FTTN, not FTTH. The top speed for one of my co-workers who has TDS' "Fiber" service is 50 Mbps. That said, again, I really wish we had TDS instead of AT&T here in Madison -- they're being more aggressive on both speed and price than AT&T has been.

While recently talking about TDS fiber speeds with my friend who works for TDS, I found out that the 100 Mbps service is only available to those customers who also get IPTV. Otherwise it is the rate that you listed. But, TDS is in the process of making higher bitrates available to fiber customers. No idea when that is going to happen though.

I too live in the Madison AT&T area and have complained about not getting fiber here either. But, something else that I found today is that even though the TDS equipment in the Black Oak office can do ADSL2+, TDS is not allowed to do DSL speeds higher than what ADSL2 can handle. Why, because AT&T owns the copper and will not allow it. This country sucks when it comes to internet. Corporate greed really sucks. This limitation pertains to any of the areas that AT&T owns the copper.
Quote:
If you look back at past posts, you will see that I am no fan of Charter, but I do give them credit for the recent upgrades that they've made. Their new 60 Mbps base tier (still says 30 Mbps on their web site, but everyone I know who has Charter is now getting 60 Mbps) is less expensive than most of AT&T's Uverse tiers, while proving several times more speed. They've also recently added a lot of HD channels, and have now caught up to Uverse and satellite TV on HD channel count.

With my TDS business contract up at the end of August, and because TDS can't give me more speed over my DSL (Damn AT&T), I've had to go looking. Yes, and that looking means Charter. A co-worker of my friend has Charter and is happy with his residential internet service. The residential customer support does suck though. His sister and brother-in-law, who live just two blocks from him, also have Charter and are happy. No idea why they haven't switched to TDS though. I should find that out.

With Charter now doing 60 Mbps, just in time for the expiration of my TDS contract, I'm changing my business internet from TDS to Charter in August. The order will be placed tomorrow, with installation delayed to August, so that I can run both at the same time and get everything working. When ready, I'll go online and switch my .com domain name server's from TDS to Charter. I'll also have to change my .net domain name's IP value from the old to the new. That will make it pretty seamless, except for the propagation time.

The cost of a Charter business 60 Mbps static IP is only $15 more than what I am paying TDS for 4 Mbps. This is internet only. I refuse to get TV and do not need the really expensive phone. The really cheap TDS landline is all I need. My cell phone is all I need for long distance. The price of my TDS phone will not go up, even though I'll be dropping DSL.

With Charter business, the modem is provided free. The static IP is $15 and the modem is included. Even if I could use my own modem, the static IP is still $15.

Something else that I found out yesterday is that about 60 days ago, Charter changed their policy in that customers are no longer allowed to use their own modems. The previously mentioned co-worker was told that if his current modem were to fail, he would not be allowed to buy a replacement and use it. He will be forced to use their modem and pay the $7 a month residential modem rental fee. I just saw an ad tonight during 27 news where Dish is now using that $7 modem fee in their ads to get people to switch to Dish. They not mention Charter by name, but who else could it be? biggrin.gif

While I obviously had to go to the dark side, to get up to 15x my current speed for only $15 more, it is a price that is hard to beat. I wouldn't be surprised if I only get 30 Mbps, but that is still better than what I have now.

Oh, one other thing, residential customers have a usage limit, based on the speed they purchased. Business customers have no restriction on how much data they use in a month.
mattymo likes this.

"What do you say Beckett. Wanna have a baby?" - Castle to Det. Beckett
"How Long have I been gone?" Alexis after arriving home and seeing Castle and Beckett w/ the baby - Castle - 11/25/13
Mr. Video
My Geek Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5642 of 5646 Old 06-05-2014, 02:10 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvideo View Post

Something else that I found out yesterday is that about 60 days ago, Charter changed their policy in that customers are no longer allowed to use their own modems. The previously mentioned co-worker was told that if his current modem were to fail, he would not be allowed to buy a replacement and use it. He will be forced to use their modem and pay the $7 a month residential modem rental fee. I just saw an ad tonight during 27 news where Dish is now using that $7 modem fee in their ads to get people to switch to Dish. They not mention Charter by name, but who else could it be? biggrin.gif.

Charter introduced a new pricing policy in 2012 that eliminated modem rental fees and the ability of customers to use their own modems. However, the policy only affected new customers, with those already having Charter internet being sort of "grandfathered" into the old policy seemingly until Charter in their area switched them over to the new policy or they called Charter to renegotiate their contract.

In my case, I was using my own modem (an old DOCSIS 2.0 one) with Charter residential internet until last year, when I got a mailing saying I would need to upgrade to a DOCSIS 3.0 modem provided by Charter at no additional cost. I made the upgrade and have not paid any modem rental fees. Again, I have Charter residential internet.
post #5643 of 5646 Old 06-05-2014, 02:14 PM
feh

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by agus0103 View Post

Charter introduced a new pricing policy in 2012 that eliminated modem rental fees and the ability of customers to use their own modems. However, the policy only affected new customers, with those already having Charter internet being sort of "grandfathered" into the old policy seemingly until Charter in their area switched them over to the new policy or they called Charter to renegotiate their contract.

In my case, I was using my own modem (an old DOCSIS 2.0 one) with Charter residential internet until last year, when I got a mailing saying I would need to upgrade to a DOCSIS 3.0 modem provided by Charter at no additional cost. I made the upgrade and have not paid any modem rental fees. Again, I have Charter residential internet.

Same experience here. They replaced the modem I had purchased, free of charge. No monthly rental fee.
post #5644 of 5646 Old 06-06-2014, 08:39 PM
AVS Club Gold

Guess you guys have been lucky. Since the other guy's modem is still working, we won't know what Charter will do until the modem is replaced.

"How Long have I been gone?" Alexis after arriving home and seeing Castle and Beckett w/ the baby - Castle - 11/25/13
Mr. Video
My Geek Images

post #5645 of 5646 Old 07-07-2014, 05:01 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
getTV Added to 47-2

Didn't see anything on the Fox47 web site announcing getTV was recently added to 47-2.

http://get.tv/
post #5646 of 5646 Old 08-04-2014, 08:26 PM
AVS Club Gold

Well, I got my Charter internet connection today. Am I using it yet? Nope.

The installation went fairly well. The tech was a very friendly guy and very easy to work with. He even arrived early. He just finished a job near where I lived. He saw my car was there so thought he would see if I was home. Worked out nice, since the rain moved in later. The drop needed to be replaced as it aged out and reduced the signal level to the modem. I sort-of expected that to happen.

After the installation was done, that was when things started to fall apart. The modem is a new Ubee DDW365, with full internal router. The tech warned me about not being able to access the modem. After verifying that as a fact, It is set up as a bridge. I was pissed. I was never told by the sales rep that I would not be able to use the router features, even after I specifically asked if the modem had the features. No mention that I might need my own router.

I don't know how true it is, but I was told the reason for the no access policy is that they didn't want users also getting into the Charter side of the configuration. Weird, the other cable companies do not seem to have a problem with it.

After about a 30 min wait on the phone, I bitched about not being able to use the features. Charter policy that could not be broken. Told him to pass my complaint up the chain (like that will help). The tech even complain that he had to wait 27 minutes to get thru in order to get my IP info. Even then he had to be called back.

Turns out a friend had a D-Link router that he bought but never used. I have it and need to configure it. Will probably get the Netgear WNDR3700 wireless router. It is an open source router.

Garnered other info from the tech. All modems are free, residential and business, as noted above. Ignore whatever the website says about modem rental.

Mr. Video
My Geek Images

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page