Madison, WI - HDTV - Page 19 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #541 of 5646 Old 02-18-2005, 10:28 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
our hd encoder is at 17mbps... when fox programming is on though, their full stream is passed to our transmitter, bypassing our encoder. if you read back in this thread, fox uses some coding that works for them or something... they are going for picture quality, not bit counting

as for the charter/sinclair deal, comcast reached an agreement with sinclair for a few markets... i suggest you keep contacting charter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 5646 Old 02-18-2005, 10:43 AM

mattymo - Did I hear correctly before - does Fox47 get paid by Fox to re-distribute their signal? Just wondering if someone was talking out their ***...
post #543 of 5646 Old 02-18-2005, 11:21 AM

well, back in the day the networks paid affiliates for them to be affiliates, now in the days of huge nfl contracts and such, i think it may be the other way around... don't know for sure, just what I read online!
post #544 of 5646 Old 02-18-2005, 12:32 PM

So, in other words...

Fox pays Sinclair for re-distribution.
Sinclair wants Charter to pay for re-distribution.

So, they get paid on both ends? Receiving and Transmission?

I wish I had that kind of deal
post #545 of 5646 Old 02-18-2005, 03:11 PM

other way around meaning the affiliate PAYS the network

and to correct you, we aren't "RE-Distributing" Fox's signal, we are distributing it

How does cable work again?
Cable gets money from subscribers and from local advertisers?
I wish I had that kind of deal

Beetle, it's a lose-lose situation, just give it up!
(or win-win depending how you look at it of course)

Shouldn't this discussion be in the Sinclair cable carriage thread?
post #546 of 5646 Old 02-21-2005, 05:50 AM

Does anyone use a UHF-only antenna to pick up WMSN? I know channel 11 is VHF, but I was wondering if the station is high enough that a Silver Sensor or other UHF-only antenna would be able to pick it up.
post #547 of 5646 Old 02-21-2005, 05:55 AM

I use a silver sensor on the east side of town and it works great. Can you pick up WI stations in Aurora?

Strangers have the BEST candy
post #548 of 5646 Old 02-21-2005, 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by mmettin
I use a silver sensor on the east side of town and it works great. Can you pick up WI stations in Aurora?

Looks like my profile is pretty out of date. I've been living in Rockford, and get most of the Madison channels with a silver sensor on the 2nd floor (no Fox, and local NBC is better reception).

I am moving to Deerfield now. I tried reception at my sister's Deerfield house and didn't have much luck (back side of hill), so I'm hoping that if I have to go outdoor antenna, I can at least use a UHF only.

Thanks!
post #549 of 5646 Old 02-22-2005, 09:29 AM

I just watched my TiVo'd ER from last week. NBC15, what's up with the SD broadcast? was something broken?

Also, what's the best way to contact CBS3 to get them to stop stretching? It's PAINFULLY annoying. I don't watch anything on their station that's not HD now because of it.

--falz
post #550 of 5646 Old 02-22-2005, 09:36 AM

I live in Monona which has A LOT of old oak and elm trees. Because of the trees I can't receive the local channels from Direct TV. So, I have an OTA antenna which feeds into my Samsung HD receiver. Channel 3, 15, 21, and 27 come in great, but channel 47 is very, very iffy. Quite oten I get a message on screen that says, "Searching For Signal. Please stand by."
I had a pre-amp installed yesterday and I really thought that might make a difference. Was trying to watch Fox last night and finally gave up. Too much digital interference and then finally nothing.
Based on where I live, that just might be the way it's going to be for me. Normally I don't mind it, but during Packer season, it's a bit frustrating.
Any thoughts on Direct TV putting local programming and HD programming on satellites higher in the sky?
Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks -
Julie
post #551 of 5646 Old 02-22-2005, 10:20 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

Originally posted by jk5708
So, I have an OTA antenna which feeds into my Samsung HD receiver. Channel 3, 15, 21, and 27 come in great, but channel 47 is very, very iffy.
I had a pre-amp installed yesterday and I really thought that might make a difference. Was trying to watch Fox last night and finally gave up. Too much digital interference and then finally nothing.

Fox 47-DT is actually being broadcast on channel 11 (VHF). I am guessing you have a UHF antenna, so a pre-amp wouldn't help anyhow (if its UHF only). I live in Cottage Grove, and I am able to pick up 47 with only a powered indoor antenna, so I am guessing you should have no problem getting it in Monona. Have you tried changin the direction of the antenna at all? Sometimes it can be VERY sensitive to direction. Good luck!

By the way, it sounds like fox-47 is requesting permission from the FCC to move to a UHF station, so your problem may eventually go away.
post #552 of 5646 Old 02-22-2005, 10:21 AM
Advanced Member

You should try moving the antenna in different directions to where you get the best signal strength for 47.1 and see if you still get the other channels ok. It is VHF/UHF antenna? Im in Rockford so I know its a little different but if I point my antenna due north I can't get 47.1 at all. So I have it pointed 1/2 way between Rockford and Madison and get everything accept 3.1 & 3.2 but I can get CBS here in Rockford. If I need 3.1 & 3.2 I just move my rotor to due north.
Looks like sterno3 barely beat me to it.
post #553 of 5646 Old 02-22-2005, 01:48 PM

Thanks for the info. I had someone out to the house yesterday and he did just that - moved the antenna a bit each way. As I mentioned in my post - all the other stations come in great, so I really don't want to mess them up.
I rarely watch Fox - mostly during Packer season. I'm bummed that Direct TV's Sunday Ticket has the local channel black out in effect. Basically, if a market's local stations air a FOX or CBS game, then the black out rule applies. That wasn't a big deal two years ago before the local stations came to Madison on Direct TV.
I wonder if it' spossible for Direct TV to provide certain programming (Sunday Ticket) to certain customer's based on their access card.
Thanks again for your help.
Julie
post #554 of 5646 Old 02-22-2005, 02:01 PM

I jsut found the followign on WMSN's web site...

January 25, 2005
Due to recent required changes by the FCC in our transmitted digital signal, you may be unable to temporarily receive our digital signal. In order to restore that signal, your digital receiver may require a Cold Boot and a complete Channel Rescan. This may also be called New Channel Search in your digital receiver manual. Basically this simply means you need to reset your receiver as if we are a new signal. WMSN-DT will continue to show up on your receiver as 47-1. We apologize for any inconvenience, but once you complete the new scan, your digital signal should be restored.

I wonder if I should give this a try. It's not like I never get their digital signal - it's just that it's fairly inconsistent.
And, what is a "Cold Boot" and how do I do it. Will it mess up any of my existing settings? I understand that I may have to do a channel re-scan. That I have done before.
Thanks -
Julie
post #555 of 5646 Old 02-22-2005, 03:51 PM
Advanced Member

Julie, A cold boot is pretty much unpluging the power cord from the wall,wait 15 seconds and plug it back in. The only way to get around the NFL blackout is to have your billing address for direct tv be in another state. But then you would lose Madison locals from direct tv. What I do as far as antenna pointing is to put my D* receiver on 47.1 and bring up the signal strength meter till I get the best signal for that station. Then check the signal strengths of the others. I dont think you will find that the others will change much. Is your antenna both vhf & uhf?
post #556 of 5646 Old 02-22-2005, 07:10 PM

Does anyone know what would cause my digital channels to have poorer reception at night than during the day? Channel 47.1 comes in OK during the day, but I just checked the signal and it had a real tough time locking in. So did the PBS sation - both SD & HD. Channel 47's analog signal was pretty clear which is not always the case. I'm getting pretty frustrated and tired of paying people to come out here and apparently fix the problem.
Do you think doing a cold boot would actually help or not necessarily?
Thanks again -
Julie
post #557 of 5646 Old 02-23-2005, 09:07 AM

Julie, have you tried regular plain Rabbit ears? WMSN-DT is VHF channel 11 and requires a VHF antenna. I live in Waunakee, and when I tried our Samsung receiver in a condo with plain old "old school" rabbit ears, 47-1 came in fine.
post #558 of 5646 Old 02-23-2005, 09:15 AM

Mattymo - thanks for the info. No, I haven't tried the rabbit ears. 47.1 comes in on occassion, but it is sort of inconsistent. Would the rabbit ears connect to the antenna in on the back of the Sammy? I currently have a rooftop antenna and am assuming it is both a UHF and VHF. Would I then need to re-scan the stations in order to get VHF channel 11? What about the other stations that come in fine with the rooftop?
Thanks!
post #559 of 5646 Old 02-23-2005, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by jk5708
Mattymo - thanks for the info. No, I haven't tried the rabbit ears. 47.1 comes in on occassion, but it is sort of inconsistent. Would the rabbit ears connect to the antenna in on the back of the Sammy? I currently have a rooftop antenna and am assuming it is both a UHF and VHF. Would I then need to re-scan the stations in order to get VHF channel 11? What about the other stations that come in fine with the rooftop?
Thanks!

WMSN is the only VHF DTV station in town... Heck, in Monona you *should* get everything with a paperclip for an antenna, but those trees must really be thick!
Yes, rabbit ears into the back of the sammy should work.
I've seen a lot of people get directed to http://www.antennaweb.org for help, maybe there might be some answers there for ya too.

-matt
post #560 of 5646 Old 02-25-2005, 06:51 PM

Having problem trying to pull in Fox 47 DT on my E* 811 reciever. My antenna is mounted on my first story about 3 feet above the dish. I can pull in 23 all the time 13, 17, and 16 are hit and miss for me. Right now I can get 13 but around 7 pm i could get 16 and 17 in nice and strong. At first i had a Terk 44 antenna and it did not work at all. Then changed it to one that looks like flat bar and it is about 50 % reliable. Any advice?
post #561 of 5646 Old 02-25-2005, 07:26 PM
Advanced Member

Where your at I dont think and Omni directional antenna is going to be strong enough. You need a conventional antenna and maybe a rotor. If you have a two story and mounted it on top of your house and the setup I mentioned above you might get Madison, Milwaukee, Chicago and Rockford. This site will tell you which one would be best. Even which direction to point it.
http://www.antennaweb.org/aw/Welcome.aspx
post #562 of 5646 Old 02-25-2005, 08:13 PM

I think i may look into putting one on the peak. Has anyone picked up the Zenth antenna from Menards? If i get it i just have to talk someone into mounting it. I hate going up on roofs even though I'm on the Fire department.
post #563 of 5646 Old 02-25-2005, 11:27 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by mattymo
Our high definition encoder went south, and unfortunately, the replacement came DOA today. Hopefully if all goes well, we'll be back in HD by tomorrow afternoon.

I'm pondering making the gray bars go black, to make for a more seamless transition for local breaks during network programming.

I appreciate the pillarboxed approach for SD programming and would welcome black bars in lieu of the gray for two reasons; it looks better and it prevents burn-in on some TVs.
post #564 of 5646 Old 02-25-2005, 11:53 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Joshua Snyder
Arock,

How much disk space for an episode of 24 or Alias? and if you have a number, and if it's a different number, how much space for an episode of CSI?

Quote:

Originally posted by arock
My card records the entire ATSC bitstream, which is like 8.5 GB an hour. That rate is the same for all OTA digital channels - 19.38 Mb/s. So what channel you record doesn't influence how much disk space you use, unless the stream is being actively filtered by the software.

What changes is how that bandwidth is allocated to the programs being broadcast. What I posted above breaks down how the bandwidth was allocated during the first 15 minutes of the 24 broadcast last night on WMSN-DT.

You can also use a tool called HDTVtoMPEG2 to cut out the commercials of transport stream files. This will get you down to 5.5 GB for shows like Alias, Lost, ect.
post #565 of 5646 Old 02-26-2005, 12:47 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally posted by Sir Charles
You can also use a tool called HDTVtoMPEG2 to cut out the commercials of transport stream files. This will get you down to 5.5 GB for shows like Alias, Lost, ect.

Welcome to the forum Sir Charles...its good to have another Barkley fan here. (I can only presume that is where your name comes from).

My HDD decided to take a vacation before myHD scheduled recording of Lost last week...did anybody make a copy? Is there a good way to share it?
post #566 of 5646 Old 02-27-2005, 06:23 PM - Thread Starter

Anyone get pops out of their rear speakers while watching Independence Day on Fox tonight? I regularly have audio problems with 47-1. Usually it's audio breakups with NFL or 24. Maybe it's my Samsung D* receiver, but it only happens on Fox.
post #567 of 5646 Old 02-27-2005, 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by cgengler
Anyone get pops out of their rear speakers while watching Independence Day on Fox tonight? I regularly have audio problems with 47-1. Usually it's audio breakups with NFL or 24. Maybe it's my Samsung D* receiver, but it only happens on Fox.

I'm getting the pops also on my samsung ota. Also no PSIP info either

Strangers have the BEST candy
post #568 of 5646 Old 02-28-2005, 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by svarney
Having problem trying to pull in Fox 47 DT on my E* 811 reciever. My antenna is mounted on my first story about 3 feet above the dish. I can pull in 23 all the time 13, 17, and 16 are hit and miss for me. Right now I can get 13 but around 7 pm i could get 16 and 17 in nice and strong. At first i had a Terk 44 antenna and it did not work at all. Then changed it to one that looks like flat bar and it is about 50 % reliable. Any advice?

I am seeing the same issue. Every Madison HD channel comes in strong except Fox 47 (on 11). I have tried switching antennas, but no change. I am thinking that the Fox47 HD signal isn't playing well with the Dish 811. I get very short bursts ~50+ but then straight to 0 for the majority of the time.
post #569 of 5646 Old 02-28-2005, 01:58 PM

I just moved to Madsion about 6 months ago and have been trolling through this thread a bit. I've been trying in vain to get a cable card from Charter. They keep telling me I'm on a waiting list, but it sure seems like it's taking forever to get one. Anybody having any luck getting there hands on one?
post #570 of 5646 Old 02-28-2005, 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by duals
I just moved to Madsion about 6 months ago and have been trolling through this thread a bit. I've been trying in vain to get a cable card from Charter. They keep telling me I'm on a waiting list, but it sure seems like it's taking forever to get one. Anybody having any luck getting there hands on one?

By cable card, do you mean a device that will allow you to watch cable from your PC?

If so, I'd recommend buying an ATI Wonder or MyHD card. You can usually find an ATI Wonder Card at a big box electronics store like Best Buy or Circuit City. A MyHD card can be had over the Internet.

I use an ATI Wonder Card for watching/recording charter cable. It has pretty good integration with Guide Plus+ that makes recording staightforward.

I also use a MyHD card to view OTA High Def programming. This card can also be used to watch cable, but the recording feature does not work well for cable.

Hope this helps.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page