Madison, WI - HDTV - Page 190 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 5Likes
post #5671 of 5681 Old 02-02-2015, 08:16 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by whosbest1 View Post
I'd thought that the Charter install techs would never touch/setup one's own personal router.
Normally they wouldn't. My installer made it a point that once the modem was working, I was on my own. Even I had a router at that point, he certainly wouldn't have helped, though I personally do not need it. I was pissed that the built-in router was bypassed. What a waste.

"What do you say Beckett. Wanna have a baby?" - Castle to Det. Beckett
"How Long have I been gone?" Alexis after arriving home and seeing Castle and Beckett w/ the baby - Castle - 11/25/13
Mr. Video
My Geek Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5672 of 5681 Old 04-21-2015, 09:38 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
WKOW off DirecTV

Latest local retrans dispute: WKOW is off DirecTV.

http://host.madison.com/news/local/w...441f90247.html
post #5673 of 5681 Old 04-24-2015, 05:33 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBurgundy View Post
Latest local retrans dispute: WKOW is off DirecTV.
http://host.madison.com/news/local/w...441f90247.html
The dispute seems to be over. I'm a DirecTV subscriber and am able to tune to WKOW.
post #5674 of 5681 Old 07-02-2015, 06:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
57-2 Movies
57-3 Hero

Channels are blank.
post #5675 of 5681 Old Yesterday, 06:56 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hello, I live in Baraboo. I'm hoping to 'cut the cable' and say goodbye to my Dish satellite bills. If this isn't an appropriate forum for this type of question, I would appreciate a link to a better place.

I have the AntennaCraft ST2 mounted in my attic, connected to an Electroline EDA 2800. Originally installed for a police scanner, but hooked it up to my hdtv and got most of the Madison channels. Just not getting Ch 15-NBC. Originally decided I could live without that channel, until I looked at the 2015 Green Bay Packer schedule. That's a deal breaker.

I've been looking into adding the Mohu Sky 60 antenna in my attic, and buying a Tivo DVR with lifetime sub on Ebay. I'd really like to avoid a rooftop antenna because of the expense and complications of grounding.

Does anyone else on here use the Mohu? Any other suggestions are appreciated.
I did talk to someone else in Baraboo that receives Channel 15 fine OTA, but I am kinda down in the river valley.
post #5676 of 5681 Old Yesterday, 08:47 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahoe77 View Post
I've been looking into adding the Mohu Sky 60 antenna in my attic, and buying a Tivo DVR with lifetime sub on Ebay. I'd really like to avoid a rooftop antenna because of the expense and complications of grounding.

I did talk to someone else in Baraboo that receives Channel 15 fine OTA, but I am kinda down in the river valley.
Even though they claim to have 60 mile coverage. I just do not see it with that antenna, the placement in an attic and your lower-level location.

I'd suspect that you would be better off with a directional, UHF antenna, mounted on the roof. You're probably going to need to get rid of any obstruction like the structure of shooting through your roof. It's not really expensive, or difficult, to install grounding.

Take a look at this Winegard antenna. It too is a 60 mile antenna, but directional. BTW, no such thing as an HDTV antenna.

There are other manufacturers of UHF antennas besides the one.

You can also find grounding stuff there as well, including a $6 ground rod. I did a quick search.
tahoe77 likes this.

"How Long have I been gone?" Alexis after arriving home and seeing Castle and Beckett w/ the baby - Castle - 11/25/13
Mr. Video
My Geek Images

post #5677 of 5681 Old Today, 07:15 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Any other suggestions are appreciated.
In case you didn't know, chs. 15 and 57 are on a different tower than the rest of the Madison channels; it's more to the east of the candelabra that has all the others. I assume you don't get 57 either, right?

I generally agree with Mr. Vid's recommendations, but you may have directional issues with a rooftop as well. Before you proceed with an outdoor UHF antenna, try redirecting the attic antenna more to the SE and see if you can see 15 and 57, although you may lose the others when you do. If that works, you can consider 2 antennas in the attic with a switch box, one for each tower. If it doesn't work you should look at a rooftop antenna, possibly with a rotor or 2 antennas with a switch box (then one could be in the attic for the candelabra).
tahoe77 likes this.
post #5678 of 5681 Old Today, 08:39 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by whosbest1 View Post
I generally agree with Mr. Vid's recommendations, but you may have directional issues with a rooftop as well.
Not from Baraboo. The distance would mean that the angle between the two towers is smaller than the angle of a directional antenna.

At issue are things like the composition of the roof, being in a valley and possible multipath.
tahoe77 likes this.

Mr. Video
My Geek Images

post #5679 of 5681 Old Today, 08:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 295 Post(s)
Liked: 166
Quote:
Hello, I live in Baraboo. I'm hoping to 'cut the cable' and say goodbye to my Dish satellite bills. If this isn't an appropriate forum for this type of question, I would appreciate a link to a better place.

I have the AntennaCraft ST2 mounted in my attic, connected to an Electroline EDA 2800. Originally installed for a police scanner, but hooked it up to my hdtv and got most of the Madison channels. Just not getting Ch 15-NBC. Originally decided I could live without that channel, until I looked at the 2015 Green Bay Packer schedule. That's a deal breaker.

Does anyone else on here use the Mohu? Any other suggestions are appreciated.
Best thing is to go to TV Fool website and input your home address or better yet your latitude and longitude location. You'll likely find you have 1 and 2 Edge reception to the Madison TV stations.

http://tvfool.com/

Then go to HDTV Technical Forum for more concise advice...start a new thread with all the information you have provided here.

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/25-hdtv-technical/

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

post #5680 of 5681 Unread Today, 11:23 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
MrG, I had already done an address search on tv fool. I will find my latlong coords another day, if it makes a big difference.
Tv fool shows all Madison channels as 2edge. I will search later to see what that means.
post #5681 of 5681 Unread Today, 12:53 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvideo View Post
Not from Baraboo. The distance would mean that the angle between the two towers is smaller than the angle of a directional antenna.

At issue are things like the composition of the roof, being in a valley and possible multipath.
I have a friend who could only see the candelabra stations in Westfield. Moving their rooftop antenna worked there. I suggest it be tried, nothing is guaranteed. I agree that the other issues you list could be important.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page