Madison, WI - HDTV - Page 192 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 12Likes

post #5731 of 5751 Old 01-09-2016, 07:37 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 412 Post(s)
Liked: 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by PTV Programmer View Post
It seems a little foolish not to talk about 4K plans considering that new customers are no deciding whether or not to sign up for their so-called Fiberville packages. I'm going to keep all of my DirecTV infrastructure in place just in case TDS lags behind or fails to deliver new technologies. Even the 500GB size of the DVR is quite low as DirecTV offers 1TB and just yesterday Dish announced a 2TB DVR with 16 tuners.
Yes, it would seem a little strange, but companies do tend not to discuss upcoming technologies. The 500GB DVR size is indeed small. No idea why that is the case.

I do not know what the technological limit is to the number of tuners that IPTV can support.

"You're Sherlock Holmes, wear the damn hat!" - Watson to Sherlock
Sherlock - The Abominable Bride - 1/01/16
Mr. Video
My Geek Images
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5732 of 5751 Old 01-15-2016, 10:47 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked: 68
It's one thing for TDS to sell Fiber and TV, it's quite another to have the vision to provide up-to-date hardware and software to meet the marketplace demands. A 500GB DVR hard drive in 2016 is just plain silly, to not have a mobile app is shortsighted, and to not address customer questions about 4K is not inspiring confidence in their ability to deliver anything other than yesterday's technology. I've decided to stick with DirecTV and just get TDS fiber internet.
mattymo likes this.
post #5733 of 5751 Old 01-15-2016, 05:55 PM
AVS Club Gold

I was talking with my friend tonight. The DVR is sold as 150 hours, not the size of the HDD. Since IPTV doesn't have "tuners," it is listed differently as to what it can do. In this case, you can record a max of 4 streams (channels). As for 4K, he has heard of no plans for it. That can be taken with a grain of salt, as he is not privy to higher up corporate management discussions.

As for internet, keep in mind the max they will sell you is 50MB down. We're guessing about 10MB up. You can only get 100MB/300MB/1GB down if you also have IPTV. 100MB down has 20MB up.

Mr. Video
My Geek Images
post #5734 of 5751 Old 02-01-2016, 08:27 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvideo View Post
I was talking with my friend tonight. The DVR is sold as 150 hours, not the size of the HDD. Since IPTV doesn't have "tuners," it is listed differently as to what it can do. In this case, you can record a max of 4 streams (channels). As for 4K, he has heard of no plans for it. That can be taken with a grain of salt, as he is not privy to higher up corporate management discussions.

As for internet, keep in mind the max they will sell you is 50MB down. We're guessing about 10MB up. You can only get 100MB/300MB/1GB down if you also have IPTV. 100MB down has 20MB up.
Mr. Video, can you check with your friend and ask whether or not TiVO's Bolt can be used as a DVR/STB for TDS TV?
post #5735 of 5751 Old 02-01-2016, 10:42 AM
AVS Club Gold

No, it will not. It is a proprietary Cisco hardware setup.

If you have been reading HOTP, you will see info about the FCC wanting to change how users are forced to use only the provider's STB. If anything happens, it won't be any time soon.

Mr. Video
My Geek Images
post #5736 of 5751 Old 02-16-2016, 12:44 AM
AVS Club Gold

Those of you who watched the Grammy Awards via WISC were probably having fits over all of the macroblocking during some of the musical acts. The bit starving that went on with the WISC transmission was embarrassing.

Thank goodness for the 41 Mbps C-band clean feed (no CBS bug). I had to watch the show via WISC, since I cannot capture a sat feed and watch it at the same time. After editing the material I wanted to keep, extracting the Dolby-E audio and recoding to AC3 5.1 @ 640 kbps (better than OTA), I watched the video and it was flawless. It is unfortunate that OTA (no matter the station) has to provide inferior video (cable and DBS aren't that much better).

Mr. Video
My Geek Images
post #5737 of 5751 Old 02-16-2016, 05:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Those of you who watched the Grammy Awards via WISC were probably having fits over all of the macroblocking during some of the musical acts. The bit starving that went on with the WISC transmission was embarrassing.

Thank goodness for the 41 Mbps C-band clean feed (no CBS bug). I had to watch the show via WISC, since I cannot capture a sat feed and watch it at the same time. After editing the material I wanted to keep, extracting the Dolby-E audio and recoding to AC3 5.1 @ 640 kbps (better than OTA), I watched the video and it was flawless. It is unfortunate that OTA (no matter the station) has to provide inferior video (cable and DBS aren't that much better).
Yeah that was absolutely terrible in the few minutes I tried to watch. I'm just happy it was an issue with them and not my system.

post #5738 of 5751 Old 02-17-2016, 12:27 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:

since you don't watch sports... I'll tell you that the Superb Owl was pretty bad too.
post #5739 of 5751 Old 02-17-2016, 01:44 PM
AVS Club Gold

I can image that it was. Come March Madness I expect the basketball to be lost in a screenload of macroblocks.

Mr. Video
My Geek Images
post #5740 of 5751 Old 04-24-2016, 11:22 AM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Hey all, I was wondering if you guys had any advice for an antenna for downtown Madison?

I currently live in an apartment a few blocks east of capitol, and, using Amazon's 35 Mile antenna, being in the center of the city, you would think I would have great reception.

That hasn't been the case, however. To get reception, the antenna has to be draped across my apartment to my window, and even then, the signal is subject to cutting out every once and a while. I've tried using this antenna at others' apartments a few times, and experienced the same issue.

Any advice on an antenna I should step up to to make sure I get a strong, consistent signal? Any recommendations for placement?
post #5741 of 5751 Old 04-24-2016, 06:39 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wonderful View Post
Hey all, I was wondering if you guys had any advice for an antenna for downtown Madison?

I currently live in an apartment a few blocks east of capitol
Not enough info. What floor are you on? How many blocks from the Capital do you live? Do your windows face N, E, W or S?

Depending on where you live, you will be down hill from the Capital and as a result the signals from the towers will have to go thru the Capital building (not happening). The signal might also have to go over your head because of your being down hill of downtown.

In other words, it is hard to help when your exact location is not known. Over the years, there have been people who have had issues with outside antennas placed on their roofs, because of trees, etc. (multipath).

As for the antenna itself, it appears to be all channel. Around here, a UHF antenna is all that is needed. No VHF Madison channels.

Mr. Video
My Geek Images
post #5742 of 5751 Old 06-15-2016, 07:50 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Anyone else having issues with WKOW lately? For the past month I've been having problems receiving WKOW. I live about half way between Edgerton & Janesville in a wooded area. I use an indoor antenna, but this hasn't been a that big of a problem. For years, WKOW has always been my most reliable station to get with hardly any problems, usually pulling it in with an 85-98% signal, but for the past month I'm luck to get it at 70%, with most of the time it's in the 50's or lower with lots of drop outs. I don't think it my antenna setup since nothing has changed with it for a few years now, and everything else I receive has been the same. I tried contacting WKOW to see if they were broadcasting at lower power than usual, but they have yet to get back to me, so I figured I'd check here to see if anyone else was having problems with them.

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...e2cbbf568f216d

-Jim
post #5743 of 5751 Old 06-15-2016, 09:35 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim920 View Post
I live about half way between Edgerton & Janesville in a wooded area.
That is probably your issue right there. You now have trees with a full head of hair (leaves), which will cause issues with reception.
Quote:
I use an indoor antenna, but this hasn't been a that big of a problem.
Over the years the trees will get bushier. IMHO, using an indoor antenna in this situation is not a good idea. Get an outdoor directional antenna and put it on your roof.

Mr. Video
My Geek Images
post #5744 of 5751 Old 06-19-2016, 01:58 PM

Quote:
That is probably your issue right there. You now have trees with a full head of hair (leaves), which will cause issues with reception.

Over the years the trees will get bushier. IMHO, using an indoor antenna in this situation is not a good idea. Get an outdoor directional antenna and put it on your roof.
Yeah, I know trees are bad, I just though it was odd that I was only having a problem with my most powerful station, usually its WMTV that disappears. When I have a chance, I'm going to try to trim some branches/trees to see if that will affect anything. I would love an outdoor antenna, but unfortunately that isn't an option. I've been using a Winegard MS-2002 (indoor) for a about 5 years now which has been acceptable. I get 15, 21 & 27 from Madison and 17 from Rockford. Since outdoor isn't an option, is there a better antenna you recommend?
post #5745 of 5751 Old 06-19-2016, 04:44 PM
AVS Club Gold

I have to ask, why is the outdoor antenna option not viable? Sorry, but I have no suggestions for an antenna. I have a simple double bowtie antenna on my roof.

Mr. Video
My Geek Images
post #5746 of 5751 Old 06-19-2016, 05:11 PM

Quote:
I have to ask, why is the outdoor antenna option not viable? Sorry, but I have no suggestions for an antenna. I have a simple double bowtie antenna on my roof.
I don't own the house, my parents do. It's paid off, so I get live here free (with restrictions), I just have to pay for utilities, taxes, & basic upkeep expenses. We had a new roof put on about 2 years ago, and installing anything on the roof would void the warranty. We even had to have a few outside lights disconnected because of the way the wires were originally ran to them.
post #5747 of 5751 Old 06-19-2016, 05:43 PM
AVS Club Gold

That isn't an issue. The antenna can be mounted on a side of the house, with a mount pole that goes above the roof. That is how I have mine mounted. You can also get mounting straps that go around a chimney to hold a mounting pole. No need to run mounting screws thru roof tile.

Mr. Video
My Geek Images
post #5748 of 5751 Old 06-19-2016, 06:12 PM

Thanks for the ideas! I'll have to find out if that's something they would allow me to do, and then do a little research on how to do it.
post #5749 of 5751 Old 06-19-2016, 07:22 PM
AVS Club Gold

If you have plastic siding, that might be an issue. I have wood. That would leave using a chimney strap configuration.

Mr. Video
My Geek Images
post #5750 of 5751 Old Today, 01:30 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
OTA reception of Madison stations in Janesville

i guess i'm supposed to post here first. i can't put the links in.

i read this post (can't put in link): 8 Element Bowtie Antenna Nampa Idaho - One channel not coming in on two TVs...
...about having a TV that doesn't get a station or two even if other TVs in the home do. it's likely the same issue, but...i'm new to all of this antenna/OTA stuff. other than, i live in Monona and use one of those super cheap antennas, inside my apartment, and get...what i really care about, i guess. (it did go wonky for a bit in the spring, and i was going to look into that, but then it cleared up and i never did. my barely-a-guess was it was something about the change in temperature.)

my aunt lives in janesville and very recently her kids got her a new TV and hooked her up for some basic internet. she had some...really old TV, and it was using a...really old roof-top antenna. she got what she wanted to watch just fine, and was happy. but now she has a smart TV and they set her up with Netflix. still on the same antenna. i was there one evening and i'm kinda thinking she's never going to use the smart TV function at all. but...now she can't get good reception on the one (or two) stations she really wants to watch.

sorry this is going to be spotty, as i don't have all the needed info yet, but i'm hoping it's going to be something really simple, lol. my parents were staying there and told me she really wants ch3...because she wants to watch the 9:00 news. which, i said, would be ch47. so i'm not sure if it's both CBS and Fox she's having trouble with or what.
she told me when i was there that she gets some sort of error message that flashes on the screen, and i thought she said it would say something about "check the wires." it didn't come up while i was there, but she will hopefully write it down when it appears again.

so, it's an intermittent problem, on 1 or 2 channels. she did know about the 3 PBS channels, but i don't know that she's ever known there were also other channels besides "the big four." i believe her new TV is a Samsung. don't have the model # yet. (would have been purchased within the last month.) a Best Buy person came out on Monday to help her. he said she had a good antenna (something like, "that's exactly what i would have"). so he gets credit for not trying to push an expensive antenna. but he also said she'd just have to live with the channel problem--said it was because the station had a low tower/signal strength.

the antenna is rooftop, and it still has...one of those boxes inside to make it turn. i would assume the cable being used is RG59. or even older. i don't know if any room/area of the house is set up for TV/cable other than the living room (so i don't know if there are splitters). but i get really confused when i look at the TVFool data, because both channels are in the same direction, and have similar strength, as the non-problematic channels. if it were the antenna (in general), or the cable used from antenna to...box, it seems that ALL the channels would be problematic.

i ran the TVFool thing twice. the first time i wanted just a general idea and didn't put any height on the antenna. the 2nd time i put it at 30'. (another guess--1 story house with a full attic.)

i want to get over there, hopefully this evening, and try the "flush out the TV memory" thing suggested in the other post. and get some more info. i probably won't be able to get up on the roof tonight to check out the antenna, though.

so...any thoughts? are these 2 stations prone to the "PSIP" problem/s mentioned in the other post??

sorry this is so spotty, but, like i said, i'm hoping this will be something simple (like the memory flush). thanks a lot for any help!

tvfool:
/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id%3de2cb478d48dab 5
/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id%3de2cb7c371091c 9

they seem very similar to me. oh, she doesn't care about the Rockford stations.
i looked this up, too:

Altitude of this location [Janesville, WI]: about 255 m or 837 ft above sea level
and the jpg is from here:
transition fcc gov/mb/engineering /dtvmaps/

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FCC signal results.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	46.5 KB
ID:	1558193  
post #5751 of 5751 Old Today, 03:57 PM
AVS Club Gold

It is strange that the new TV is having reception problems, as compared to the old set. Newer TVs have better ATSC tuners over older models.

That said, do inspect the antenna, connections and cable. Antennas can have issues over time. Check it closely.

Mr. Video
My Geek Images
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception