Madison, WI - HDTV - Page 192 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 11Likes

post #5731 of 5735 Old 01-09-2016, 08:37 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked: 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by PTV Programmer View Post
It seems a little foolish not to talk about 4K plans considering that new customers are no deciding whether or not to sign up for their so-called Fiberville packages. I'm going to keep all of my DirecTV infrastructure in place just in case TDS lags behind or fails to deliver new technologies. Even the 500GB size of the DVR is quite low as DirecTV offers 1TB and just yesterday Dish announced a 2TB DVR with 16 tuners.
Yes, it would seem a little strange, but companies do tend not to discuss upcoming technologies. The 500GB DVR size is indeed small. No idea why that is the case.

I do not know what the technological limit is to the number of tuners that IPTV can support.

"You're Sherlock Holmes, wear the damn hat!" - Watson to Sherlock
Sherlock - The Abominable Bride - 1/01/16
Mr. Video
My Geek Images
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5732 of 5735 Old 01-15-2016, 11:47 AM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 11
It's one thing for TDS to sell Fiber and TV, it's quite another to have the vision to provide up-to-date hardware and software to meet the marketplace demands. A 500GB DVR hard drive in 2016 is just plain silly, to not have a mobile app is shortsighted, and to not address customer questions about 4K is not inspiring confidence in their ability to deliver anything other than yesterday's technology. I've decided to stick with DirecTV and just get TDS fiber internet.
mattymo likes this.
post #5733 of 5735 Old 01-15-2016, 06:55 PM
AVS Club Gold

I was talking with my friend tonight. The DVR is sold as 150 hours, not the size of the HDD. Since IPTV doesn't have "tuners," it is listed differently as to what it can do. In this case, you can record a max of 4 streams (channels). As for 4K, he has heard of no plans for it. That can be taken with a grain of salt, as he is not privy to higher up corporate management discussions.

As for internet, keep in mind the max they will sell you is 50MB down. We're guessing about 10MB up. You can only get 100MB/300MB/1GB down if you also have IPTV. 100MB down has 20MB up.

Mr. Video
My Geek Images
post #5734 of 5735 Old Yesterday, 09:27 AM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvideo View Post
I was talking with my friend tonight. The DVR is sold as 150 hours, not the size of the HDD. Since IPTV doesn't have "tuners," it is listed differently as to what it can do. In this case, you can record a max of 4 streams (channels). As for 4K, he has heard of no plans for it. That can be taken with a grain of salt, as he is not privy to higher up corporate management discussions.

As for internet, keep in mind the max they will sell you is 50MB down. We're guessing about 10MB up. You can only get 100MB/300MB/1GB down if you also have IPTV. 100MB down has 20MB up.
Mr. Video, can you check with your friend and ask whether or not TiVO's Bolt can be used as a DVR/STB for TDS TV?
post #5735 of 5735 Old Yesterday, 11:42 AM
AVS Club Gold

No, it will not. It is a proprietary Cisco hardware setup.

If you have been reading HOTP, you will see info about the FCC wanting to change how users are forced to use only the provider's STB. If anything happens, it won't be any time soon.

Mr. Video
My Geek Images
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception