Orlando, FL - OTA - Page 104 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #3091 of 3100 Old 10-07-2012, 08:10 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Is anyone else experiencing no signal for WESH-DT 2.1?

I haven't been able to tune it in since around 7:30 EST.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3092 of 3100 Old 10-08-2012, 01:20 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid_Digital_NYC View Post

A lot of strange tropo going on lately. WESH (my best signal at 98-100% has been dropping out a lot more in the middle of the night. Also my receiver is picking up DX from WPB,Tampa and Miami at the same time.
post #3093 of 3100 Old 10-10-2012, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid_Digital_NYC View Post

WESH 2.1 and MeTV 2.2 have always been my problem channels. They'd more or less completely disappeared for a few months. In the last few weeks they've re-appeared, stronger than ever - although they are STILL my weakest signals. But they're pretty steady now and only drop out rarely...
post #3094 of 3100 Old 10-13-2012, 09:17 PM

Ahhhhhh ... I finally found the right thread ... WESH 2.1 went offline for me a couple of days ago too!!! Very frustrating mad.gif

I have 2 HTPCs (1x Vista and 1x Windows 7) so the chances are low that both systems dropped WESH 2.1/2.2 and all other channels are working fine.

The signal strength is high for WESH 2 on the HTPCs and another (hardware) receiver is displaying WESH 2 OK. So I knwo they are transmitting.

I am "playing" with one of the HTPCs doing updates and such ... but I don't think that it's going to help.

Some other forums suggest that WESH has changed the PSIP data ... so I am trying to follow up ...

Somebody pleeease post how we can fix this ... I'll continue to chase it as well ..

Thanks all ...smile.gif

Aussie
post #3095 of 3100 Old 10-14-2012, 08:19 AM

Everyone with the Orlando OTA WESH 2 "No service is available" problem ... My assessment is that it is a WESH 2 PSIP problem ... seeing that many of us are having the same problem on different computer systems and other channels are still operational.

It would probably be a good idea to contact WESH 2 ... the more of us that contact them the faster our problem will probably be resolved.

Use this link …
http://www.wesh.com/tv/contact

Select Department – Engineering …

Be nice and post something like this (you can copy and paste this if you like):

My HTDV OTA receiver (and I know some other people who have problems) stopped being able to "show" WESH 2 a couple of days ago (signal strength is good). Is it possible a change was made (or a power interrupt occurred) and perhaps the PSIP data doesn't match at this time? A fix would be appreciated because I can no longer watch my favorite shows.

Aussie
post #3096 of 3100 Old 10-15-2012, 09:36 AM

I just got off the phone with the WESH engineer and he indicates that the PSIP and other data are all good at the transmission end.

Aussie
post #3097 of 3100 Old 10-15-2012, 11:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I have 3 separate systems with HD Homerun, Win TV 950, and Hauppauge 1250. No go on WESH 2.1 or 2.2. Something is broken as Tivo ota Premier and built in Atsc tuners all find the channels without issue.mad.gif
post #3098 of 3100 Old 10-15-2012, 03:38 PM

gmanhdtv ... thanks for posting. The more the merrier smile.gif

I guess that we are going to have to do some more debug to determine what we think is the problem.

Last night I did rerun WMC setup on my #2 HTPC (Windows 7 Pro/WMC/Hauppauge tuners) and Channel 2.1 did come online. But tonight at 1800, 2.1 is down again. On WMC #1 2.1 has been down since sometime around Thursday. My Zenith HDTV receiver (not a WMC computer) is working OK.

I can still contact the WESH engineer if we have any other suggestions as to what he can try. He indicated to me that he had numerous computers with USB HDTV receivers and (I think) a Homerun, and none were having problems.

I hope to run some test routinnes tonight ... but don't hold your breath.biggrin.gif

Aussie
post #3099 of 3100 Old 10-15-2012, 05:04 PM

All ... still no luck running TSReader to see if the PSIPs are OK ...

I can bring it up but it won;t tune to any station ... so I am doing something wrong.

If someone with a problem can run it please do so ...
http://experts.windows.com/w/experts_wiki/troubleshooting-atsc-transport-stream-issues-in-media-center.aspx

Here are some additional hints.
I selected the wrong source - how can I change it? Launch TSReader with the Ctrl key held down - you'll then be asked to choose a source again.

I'm using a BDA-based source module on Windows MCE. Sometimes my card won't tune and TSReader locks up. Most likely, the Windows MCE Receiver Service is running and that's using the card TSReader is attempting to use. Stop the Receiver Service by going to the command prompt and typing: net stop ehrecvr

Aussie
post #3100 of 3100 Old 10-15-2012, 05:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA Send a message via Yahoo to Trip in VA
If Media Center Service is running, TSReader cannot take control of the tuner to do anything with it. Additionally, if your tuner is BDA-compliant, it needs to be using ATSCBDASource or ATSCBDASourceNS. Which is exactly what you said, but have you tried those things or do you need help figuring them out?

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

post #3101 of 3100 Old 10-15-2012, 05:32 PM

RabbitEars ... Yes I have tried all of the above ... but TSReader will not tune ... It sticks at the tune screen. I also tried 0 and 1 for the tuner setting to no avail.

So to be clear:
1) Restart HTPC and log in
2) Close WMC
3) net stop ehrecvr and system indicated stopped
4) Start TSReader "Run as Administrator"
5) Select ATSCBDASource (maybe my Hauppage 2250 tuners are not BDA compliant?)
6) Enter 2 and try to tune ... it doesn't tune and won;t let me go any further

7) Closed and tried entering 11 and tuning - no go

Any help is appreciated ...

Aussie
post #3102 of 3100 Old 10-15-2012, 06:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Try setting your source to HCWATSCSource.

- Trip

N4MJC

RabbitEars

post #3103 of 3100 Old 10-15-2012, 08:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dszigeti View Post

gmanhdtv ... thanks for posting. The more the merrier smile.gif
I guess that we are going to have to do some more debug to determine what we think is the problem.
Last night I did rerun WMC setup on my #2 HTPC (Windows 7 Pro/WMC/Hauppauge tuners) and Channel 2.1 did come online. But tonight at 1800, 2.1 is down again. On WMC #1 2.1 has been down since sometime around Thursday. My Zenith HDTV receiver (not a WMC computer) is working OK.
I can still contact the WESH engineer if we have any other suggestions as to what he can try. He indicated to me that he had numerous computers with USB HDTV receivers and (I think) a Homerun, and none were having problems.
I hope to run some test routinnes tonight ... but don't hold your breath.biggrin.gif

If I go into the HD Homerun config interface, it sees channel 11 as 2.1 as it should. Media Center still claims "no signal"

I am lost as to the problem and solution?????
post #3104 of 3100 Old 10-16-2012, 11:41 AM

I agree this is frusrtating ... I see I recorded WESH 2 Revolution last night but I couldn't watch the channel directly. I continue to look for a solution ... but with only two of us Media center guys offline ... it looks like a Microsoft/Operator error.

If more people reported in then maybe its WESH ...

See if you can run TSReader

If someone with a problem can run it please do so ...
http://experts.windows.com/w/experts_wiki/troubleshooting-atsc-transport-stream-issues-in-media-center.aspx

If we can get results ... then I will call WESH back ... See this thread about hints on running it ... I haven't got it to work yet on my system.

Aussie
post #3105 of 3100 Old 10-16-2012, 04:41 PM
AVS Special Member

dszigeti,

Tried something new today. Tuned to channel 2.1 with the "no signal message" pressed record button and picture and sound appear, so it appears you can watch while recording but not directly from the guide........

Something goofy going on! wink.gif
post #3106 of 3100 Old 10-16-2012, 06:21 PM

GmanHDTV ... yes I too noticed that while a recording was going I could watch WESH-DT.

My ongoing solution (as proposed by barnabas1969, dmagerl ) is shown at ...
http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=3120&p=30583#p30583
post #27

I am making progress but I am not certain that I have a bulletproof solution ... nor that I have the root cause for the solution as yet ...

Aussie
post #3107 of 3100 Old 10-17-2012, 07:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dszigeti View Post

GmanHDTV ... yes I too noticed that while a recording was going I could watch WESH-DT.
My ongoing solution (as proposed by barnabas1969, dmagerl ) is shown at ...
http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=3120&p=30583#p30583
post #27
I am making progress but I am not certain that I have a bulletproof solution ... nor that I have the root cause for the solution as yet ...

Looks like the source duplication was the issue. My three systems were showing channel 11 (correct) as well as channel 24 which I deleted. Everything seems to be working without a hitch now..............knock on wood!
post #3108 of 3100 Old 10-31-2012, 03:57 PM

Satpro ... thanks for the update on channel 24 (PBS) ... this is a little different (I believe) than the problem we have. WMC is being told that WESH 2 is on channel 24.1 ... which is the case in Ocala ... but not here in Orlando. So some of our WMC systems (presumably depending on the zip ocde entered during setup) are being misdirected. This just started a couple of weeks ago. So channel 24 in Orlando is Channel 24.1. WESH 2 is 2.1 (or maybe 18.1) ... but not 24.1. This is what the manual fix accomplishes.

Aussie
post #3109 of 3100 Old 11-01-2012, 12:57 PM

Per the Orlando Sentinel, UCF TV is becoming WUCF World

Also, I wonder what WBCC is going to do with their channels? Hopefully since they invested in HD equipment for the transmission of WUCF over it's 68.1 (and WUCF-TV is moving their master control from the WBCC to the WMFE studios which is also HD), that 68.1 will remain in HD with WBCC's regular programming and not let it go to waste by reverting to SD.

James Westerfield
Lake Mary, FL
post #3110 of 3100 Old 11-01-2012, 01:05 PM

Under edit sources for WESH-DT check the one air channel you can receive and check just that one in WMC

11.1 (Main signal, Christmas)
24.1 (Ocala translator)

James Westerfield
Lake Mary, FL
post #3111 of 3100 Old 01-06-2013, 09:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
I hope someone can help me. I can't afford a new antenna, so I have to work with what I have.

I use a Digital Stream converter on a 70's wood paneled TV that uses vacuum tubes. This setup looks great actually, when the converter is getting a strong signal.

I can pickup WFTV very great, nearly 95%. WESH, not so much. It depends on how the antennas are configured. I explain below.

So I have two antennas, a regular VHF antenna, with a clip on bowtie antenna. I use a VHF/UHF 300 ohm combiner to single 75 ohms adapter, so I can use them on my converter box. With WESH, if I detach the bowtie from the combiner, it gets a good 85%. However, if I attach the bowtie I get a low 20%-48%. I know WESH is VHF, but I'm confused why all of a sudden the bowtie is affecting the VHF antenna. For WFTV, I need to have the bowtie attached or the strength is very low.

Ok, so maybe I need a switch to activate one antenna at a time, I can deal with this, but WRDQ, this is a mess.

I can't get WRDQ no matter what I do. VHF only antenna, 0% - expected as it's a UHF station. UHF antenna is a mere 20% if lucky, but usually keeps going back down to 0%. It will sometimes go from 0 to 40, then back down to 0, like a rolling reception or something, and I can do nothing but just sit there and watch.

I can't afford an amplifier, and can't afford a new antenna. Is there anything I can do to improve the reception I'm getting here?
post #3112 of 3100 Old 01-06-2013, 11:10 AM

Hakemon ... well you certainly have some restrictions smile.gif

The main method to use here is to "minimize the variables" ... that is ... see if you can get a good signal under optimum conditions and then add things back in and try to determine what the signal degrades. For example this might resolve the 20%-48% problem.

Given your statements about minimal purchasing ...
1) Go to http://www.antennaweb.org/ and check where the transmitting towers are relative to your location. This site will also help you determine if you are in range depending on the type of antenna you have.
2) Using only the VHF or UHF antenna (as appropriate for the station), see if you can get a good signal for each desired station with your antenna and note the antenna position for each. You can mark up the antenna.org chart if you can print it out.
3) If you can't get a good signal, then you need to see if you can go higher (in the air) .... this may mean that you need to buy cable though! mad.gif
4) If you can remove the combiner (probably not) that might help for the initial tests .... but you will probably need it back in eventually
5) Make sure that you are not connected to the FM output of the combiner (there may not be an FM output on your device)
6) Make sure all of your connections are clean and tight
7) Make sure your antennas are as clear of metal as possible (e.g., consider that you may have metal studs in your walls if you are in a recently built house/apartment)
8) If you have more 300 ohm cable you might be able to build a slightly better antenna yourself ... depending on the quality of rabbit ears

Hope that this helps ... I know antenna positioning can be painful ...

PS ... the easiest way to solve the problem is with either a larger antenna (yagi in the attic) or an amplified antenna ... but I know that you didn't want to spend the money.

Aussie
post #3113 of 3100 Old 01-06-2013, 11:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the quick reply. Having an antenna in the attic actually sounds like a great idea. I can make a coax cable to do so, and my bedroom has an attic crawl space, so I should be able to snake a cable through fairly easily.

I made a video yesterday trying to go over the reception I get, and while I do get quite a good amount of channels OTA, you'll see that 27-1 and 27-2 are completely dead 0% in the video. This video also shows my antenna and combiner setup too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGWcWusl-L4

PS: I'm trying to get rid of cable. I can't afford it anymore, not for $99 a month for analog cable and 10mbps internet. wink.gif

11:08 is where I make the WRDQ attempt.
post #3114 of 3100 Old 01-06-2013, 12:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Anyone got a link for the OTA Orlando Channel Lineup so I can pass it on to my sister?

Thanks in advance.
post #3115 of 3100 Old 01-06-2013, 01:05 PM
AVS Special Member

This is the best I could find.

http://www.orlandodigital.tv
post #3116 of 3100 Old 01-07-2013, 05:09 AM
AVS Special Member

post #3117 of 3100 Old 01-07-2013, 05:15 AM
AVS Addicted Member

That one is actually somewhat outdated. You could use the printable version of the one on my website, if you like:

http://www.rabbitears.info/market.php?request=print_market&mktid=26

- Trip

N4MJC

RabbitEars

post #3118 of 3100 Old 01-07-2013, 09:18 AM
AVS Special Member

It actually does look outdated compared to your list.

Thanks for finding this.
post #3119 of 3100 Old 01-12-2013, 08:32 PM

Is anyone having a problem with WFTV?
I've lost their signal completely in New Smyrna Beach.
post #3120 of 3100 Old 01-13-2013, 06:17 AM

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulv4 View Post

Is anyone having a problem with WFTV?
I've lost their signal completely in New Smyrna Beach.

No problem here in Davenport, 40 miles away from the transmitter.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page