Orlando, FL - OTA - Page 113 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

Forum Jump: 
 18Likes

post #3361 of 3379 Old 09-12-2016, 07:10 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I was just checking to see if Channel 43-4 had changed from the ESCAPE network yet, since 9-3 had picked it up recently. Both channels are still carrying ESCAPE, however they are broadcasting different programming.

Right now, Sept. 12th at 9 AM Eastern, channel 9-3 is halfway thru a 2-hour movie called "Angel of Death," while channel 43-4 is starting an episode of "The FBI Files."

Both channels are identifying as "ESCAPE" in my tuner's channel listing and both channels have the "ESCAPE" network bug in the lower right-hand corner of the screen.

Anyone know what's going on here? Are the owners of the "ESCAPE" network spinning up another network?

Just checked my local tv listings on TVGuide.com. 9-3 is identified as "ESCAPE" in the listings. 43-4 is identified as WOTF-DT4.

Last edited by Dennis_D; 09-12-2016 at 07:16 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3362 of 3379 Old 09-20-2016, 03:00 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Kind of a waste for WOTF to be showing the same thing as WFTV. They're both running the same thing as of this writing. Here's something else to ponder. For the past few days WOFT 8.1 has been showing the old movies with very low volume while 8.2 - 8.4 are showing infomercials at what seems to be various audio levels. Isn't anyone paying attention over there? If memory serves me correctly all full power TV stations have to have an engineer at the studios & transmitter at all times. I guess the same rules don't apply to low powered ones.
Nayan likes this.
post #3363 of 3379 Old 10-07-2016, 12:49 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
A few observations on TV coverage on hurricane Matthew. Naturally channels 2,6,9 & 35 are running wall to wall coverage which is expected. However WESH 2.2 & WKCF 18.1-3 are also carrying WESH 2's news as well. WKMG 6.1 is running some CBS network programing on 6.2 (last nights NFL game and as of this writing the CBS afternoon shows) then going back to Cozi TV. 6.3 is all Heartland. WFTV 9.2 & 9.3 is all Laff & Escape, WRDQ 27.1 is running channel 9's news. 27.2 & 27.4 is all Antenna & Grit. WOFL 35.1 is all news and WRBW 65.1 is regular programing, but they're also running a crawl courtesy of their sister station WOFL. As for the rest of the channels and subs, it's business as usual. I'm assuming when the EAS goes off they're all running it correctly. Curious to know why 2,9 and 35 didn't run any of their respective network programing on their sister stations or sub channels. They could have run a crawl saying where someone could watch them like channel 6 did. And these channels are accessible over the air or on most cable systems. The only exceptions are if it's a sub channel, I believe you can't get those on satellite or AT&T. Sometimes it's nice to have regular network programing accessible out there as an option.

Last edited by USFFrank; 10-07-2016 at 12:56 PM.
post #3364 of 3379 Old 10-09-2016, 09:36 AM

I would imagine that for the subchannels, those who kept their regular programs were probably obligated to do so under their contracts with those networks.

Personally, I liked the fact that there was someplace to go and get a break from the endless and very repetitive wall-to-wall coverage of Hurricane Matthew. Although I wanted instantly available information on the current conditions and updates, putting that on the primary channel was more than sufficient. A crawl under regular programming might have been nice on the subchannels, but really - everyone should have realized that the information was readily available on the major network stations.
post #3365 of 3379 Old 10-18-2016, 05:35 AM

I've been using an attic-mounted Winegard Freevision antenna with a Boost XT Preamp and a Winegard low-noise line amp on the family room TV and getting very good reception.

But recently, my wife has actually agreed to cut the cable TV and save some money! To keep the wife happy I have hooked up another antenna (diy single-bay Gray-Hoverman) to the master bedroom TV. Attic access is problematic in that part of the house, so I have temporarily mounted the antenna in the master bedroom's walk-in closet. Reception was crummy (3-4 channels) so I scavenged the preamp and line amp from the family room TV. This boosted the number of channels to an acceptable 34 (should get better when I manage to mount the antenna up in the attic).

The surprising part was when I went back to the family room TV and connected the Winegard antenna directly to the TV without the preamp & line amp. I am still getting all of the channels that I was getting before! Previously, I had needed those in-line units in order to get channels 2-1 and 2-2. Now they are coming in just fine without any signal-boosting!

Has WESH changed/boosted it's OTA transmission?
post #3366 of 3379 Old 10-22-2016, 04:19 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 13
For the last few days WRCF 29.1 Retro TV had had no sound just the picture, No response from my Voicemail.email to WRCF, Now Retro is off and WRCF has Orange TV on both 29.1 and 29.2. Don't know if the issue is network or local or both. From the soap Opera The Doctors Facebook page other Markets have no problem, but some of the other Markets like Chicago have had no sound for over 2 weeks. I suspect Retro leases the channel since I have never seen any obviously local commercials (AKA FUN SPOTS ETC) And I know the city is leasing 29.2 and 3 for Orange TV and Vision TV. Also The Country Network on 29.4 as had a will be right back for days maybe weeks.EDIT Country Networks was on, but it seems during the commercial Break instead of Ad's they have Well be right back, strange no commercials

Last edited by Lord Zedd; 10-22-2016 at 06:47 PM.
post #3367 of 3379 Old 10-27-2016, 07:01 PM

WRCF 29.1 is back to Retro with Sound
post #3368 of 3379 Old 11-07-2016, 06:05 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
We want to cut the cord, we live south Orlando.
We are considering a CM-4228HD (if its worth over the CM-4221HD) installed in the attic and a Ultra mini 8 amplifier to split to our 5 TV's.

Has anybody use this combination, or should I look for something different.
Recommendations will be appreciated.

Thanks for your help!!
post #3369 of 3379 Old 11-08-2016, 10:11 AM

Advice needed- South Orlando, FL

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...dfafb1e2e2624c

I want to cut the cable but I am new to OTA . I was planning to install the antenna in the attic. We have 5 tvs. The wiring for the rooms is already in place from a central location.

Been reading around but don't have a too clear idea on what to do.
What is a good antenna and a good splitter for my application??

Thanks for the advice!!!
post #3370 of 3379 Old 11-08-2016, 10:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1012 Post(s)
Liked: 237
Your stations are all strong, line-of-sight and only about 20 miles away. This is as easy as it gets. Your NBC station is on high VHF so you need a VHF/UHF antenna. I'd recommend the Winegard HD7694P for your attic installation. Assuming you don't have a roof with a metal lining you should be able to point the antenna at 30 degrees and receive all the stations. If there are reception problems then you'll need to install it outdoors.

With 5 TVs you'll need an 8-way splitter. I'd recommend the CM3418 distribution amplifier/splitter. Do not use a preamp at the antenna. You'll have overload problems.
post #3371 of 3379 Old 11-08-2016, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calaveras View Post
Your stations are all strong, line-of-sight and only about 20 miles away. This is as easy as it gets. Your NBC station is on high VHF so you need a VHF/UHF antenna. I'd recommend the Winegard HD7694P for your attic installation. Assuming you don't have a roof with a metal lining you should be able to point the antenna at 30 degrees and receive all the stations. If there are reception problems then you'll need to install it outdoors.

With 5 TVs you'll need an 8-way splitter. I'd recommend the CM3418 distribution amplifier/splitter. Do not use a preamp at the antenna. You'll have overload problems.

Thanks!!!!!
Pardon my ignorance, so I DONT need a multi directional antenna.
So, this HD7694P is good enough for my location??
Antenna, mount and distributor and I should be good do go???

Thanks again for your help
post #3372 of 3379 Old 11-08-2016, 11:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1012 Post(s)
Liked: 237
Quote:
Originally Posted by bullpunch View Post
Thanks!!!!!
Pardon my ignorance, so I DONT need a multi directional antenna.
So, this HD7694P is good enough for my location??
Antenna, mount and distributor and I should be good do go???

Thanks again for your help
I assumed you just wanted all your local stations that are around 30 degrees azimuth. Is that not true? Are there stations in other directions you want? If so, which ones?

I see that ION is in a different direction but it is one of your strongest stations in a list of strong stations. I'd see if you can receive it even when not pointed at it. "Multi-direction" antennas can be problematic especially when mounted in an attic which is a compromise location.
post #3373 of 3379 Old 11-08-2016, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calaveras View Post
I assumed you just wanted all your local stations that are around 30 degrees azimuth. Is that not true? Are there stations in other directions you want? If so, which ones?

I see that ION is in a different direction but it is one of your strongest stations in a list of strong stations. I'd see if you can receive it even when not pointed at it. "Multi-direction" antennas can be problematic especially when mounted in an attic which is a compromise location.
I want the locals and will keep some streaming services but Dish is going OUT!!, was just asking because I am new to this and wondered if there was any difference.

Thanks again !!
post #3374 of 3379 Old 11-09-2016, 08:16 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 733 Post(s)
Liked: 1341
Moved to existing Orlando OTA thread.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
post #3375 of 3379 Old 11-21-2016, 08:53 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I was having trouble with WESH (while the other 3 major networks were strong). Finally, after reading here, I realized - duh - I was using a UHF-only antenna and WESH is on channel 11, VHF.

So I switched over to a combined VHF-UHF antenna in the attic. All the four stations I care about are roughly 117° and 15 miles. (I actuality think that at that range, my finger on the RF conductor would be enough )

So, finally, my question: WESH is coming in, but weak and super-sensitive to orientation. I think I'll be OK when I fix it in place, but I'm just curious about why a high-VHF station would be so difficult compared to all the UHF stations? Is WESH just particularly weak?
post #3376 of 3379 Old 11-24-2016, 04:35 PM

http://variety.com/2016/tv/news/roma...rk-1201919549/
It looks like WOFL 35 is finally getting a sub-channel now that MGM and Roma Downey have partnered on LIGHT TV.
post #3377 of 3379 Old 11-24-2016, 07:41 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Also Mundomax gone on November 30 https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List...Max_affiliates but no Orlando replacement yet.
post #3378 of 3379 Old Today, 09:10 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 26
I just noticed that WKMG 6.3 has dumped "Heartland" and is now "Decades."
Nayan likes this.
post #3379 of 3379 Old Today, 10:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 844 Post(s)
Liked: 1339
Quote:
Originally Posted by HGN2001 View Post
I just noticed that WKMG 6.3 has dumped "Heartland" and is now "Decades."
Now that is a channel I'll watch. Thanks for the heads-up .

I would like to apologize to anyone I have not yet offended. Please be patient and I will get to you shortly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception