Orlando, FL - OTA - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 3215 Old 06-13-2004, 09:31 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Not sure if anyone has noticed however after I re-ran a channel scan this AM, my SONY is reporting that KMG 6 is running an additional sub-channel on 6.3, no programming at this time just a placeholder but curious to know if anyone else has seen this or knows what is in the works.

Miguel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 3215 Old 06-13-2004, 09:39 AM
AVS Special Member

The start of the dreaded multi-casting?

Visit the orlandodigital.tv website
Central Florida ISF Calibration

post #63 of 3215 Old 06-13-2004, 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by lombana
Not sure if anyone has noticed however after I re-ran a channel scan this AM, my SONY is reporting that KMG 6 is running an additional sub-channel on 6.3, no programming at this time just a placeholder but curious to know if anyone else has seen this or knows what is in the works.

Miguel

I ran a scan on my Sony 60XBR950 yesterday and did not see this one. Following your message I did it again just a few minutes ago and I still don't see 6.3.
post #64 of 3215 Old 06-13-2004, 10:01 AM

I also do not see 6.3 on my FusionHDTV card.
post #65 of 3215 Old 06-13-2004, 02:23 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I do see a 6-3 on my HDTivo.
post #66 of 3215 Old 06-13-2004, 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by rich21
I do see a 6-3 on my HDTivo.

This is getting a little bit intriguing now. Following this message, I went back and rescanned for local channels with my HD-TiVo. It did not detect a sub-channel 6-3. If I try to manually dial the station on either the TV's ASTC tuner or the HDTiVo I get a no signal message in both cases. I have good solid overall signal strength (75+) on 6-1 & 6-2 but no 6-3 at all.

It's almost like this particular sub-channel is broadcasting at a lower strength level and I'm too far away to see if or something. Not a big deal since there isn't anything on it, just a bit of a curiosity.
post #67 of 3215 Old 06-13-2004, 05:21 PM

I analyzed the transport stream of WKMG-HD using HDTVtoMPEG and this is what I got:

Video PID: 0x21 Audio PID: 0x24 (Info 6.2) 1080i 15.00 Mb/s
Video PID: 0x21 Audio PID: 0x25 (WKMG-HD 6.1) 1080i 15.00 Mb/s
Video PID: 0x31 Audio PID: 0x35 (WKMG-HD 6.1) 480i 1.97 Mb/s

It appears as if WKMG has their PSIP info all screwed up.

It also seems as if some tuners pick up on the fact that there are only two actual Video PIDs and therefore only display two subchannels dropping the third phantom subchannel.
post #68 of 3215 Old 06-13-2004, 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by donsullivan

It's almost like this particular sub-channel is broadcasting at a lower strength level and I'm too far away to see if or something.

They can't broadcast one subchannel at a different level.

Maybe they are working on the PSIP tables and it was being toggled or something.

Peter Shipp
ISF, HAA, SBCA, CEDIA Certified
ps@aecustom.com
post #69 of 3215 Old 06-13-2004, 08:23 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I didn't re-scan. I just entered in 6-3 and the box thought there was something there. If there wasn't I would have gotten an error msg.

They could of pulled the PSIP table from a backup by accident (from the days when they were doing a couple of college games on different sub channels).
post #70 of 3215 Old 06-17-2004, 04:48 PM

Liked: 11
I live in downtown Orlando,Delany Park area. I get all other HD channles fine , except WKGM 6-2. Sometimes it lockes on,but most of the time to low a signal. I get all others between 75-100 ,NBC the best.Using DTV with an E-86 IRD ,roof top radio shack V-90 ,also tried a square shooter . Anyone else having trouble in this area? Any good fix? TIA
post #71 of 3215 Old 06-17-2004, 06:02 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Is anyone having problems with WKMG OTA tonight? Neither CSI show is coming through in 16x9 and I am having the picture drop in and out more frequently than usual.

Thanks for any input.
post #72 of 3215 Old 06-17-2004, 06:08 PM

Ah, it's a miracle. WKMG is now 16x9. Still lots of drop outs, but at least it's full screen. Now all I need is the D* waiver so I can watch without drop outs!
post #73 of 3215 Old 06-17-2004, 06:37 PM

I just started watching the recorded CSI: Miami and it's in 4:3 throughout with grey sidebars. I checked the recording of CSI and it looks like they hit the switch to go back to normal 16:9 HD signal at around 9:07pm. I'm not noticing any dropouts at all though. At least not so far but I've only watched about 20 minutes of CSI: Miami so far.
post #74 of 3215 Old 06-19-2004, 08:13 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by RROBIN06
Rich: WKMG-DT has granted a waiver for their viewers to get the CBS E & W HD channels on D*. $2.00 per month.

Robbie

Thought I would post an update on this issue of receiving CBS HD from D*. I received a post card in the mail yesterday from D* stating that my waiver request had been denied by my local CBS TV station. So I think Rob got lucky!! Oh well. Now the wait to see what other HD channels D* adds.
post #75 of 3215 Old 06-19-2004, 10:09 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I have heard that some folks have gotten waivers but repeatedly requesting them. Either the station doesn't think they need to deny them again, they forget or get tire of doing the paperwork.
post #76 of 3215 Old 06-19-2004, 12:07 PM

Gator: I guess you are right; I must have gotten lucky. Robbie
post #77 of 3215 Old 06-20-2004, 10:20 AM

OK, I've about had it with the lack of HD programming coming into my house. I dropped BHN due to their inability to get simple programming like ESPN-HD and went to DirecTV where atleast there are a few more options. I went to OTA for locals since it really just makes sense and there is just so much out there that is available.

NOW the krux of the question, who is using VOOM and how is it working out for them? I've seen the lineup and see that it has quite a bit to offer, but reality, is it worth it? What equipment are they using for their decoder? Are they offering a PVR for their stuff? Any help would be really appreciated.

I noticed that they have a free install and 0 cost startup that is about to run out and I want to make sure that I make a good decision, I've been with DirecTV since the first month of operation and to leave them now needs to be very serious.

Thanks in advance,
MIGUEL
post #78 of 3215 Old 06-20-2004, 11:29 AM

The hardware is made by Motorola however there will be other manufacturers coming out with receivers soon. There is no PVR yet, however it is in development, but I would not expect to see it this year. When it does come out it will be really cool.

Don't quote me on this, but I would expect the free promo to extend through September, if not indefinitely.

At this point you should look and see what you will loose with only having Voom: no pay per view, limited sports (no Sunday Ticket, NBA league pass, etc.) and a few popular SD channels are missing, which should fill in soon.

I talked to a few people on here who either just got it, it would be nice to hear from them. I should have my demo in a week or so.

There is a good comparison of all the available HD channels and who has them at http://www.orlandodigital.tv/HD_Reception.htm

Peter Shipp
ISF, HAA, SBCA, CEDIA Certified
ps@aecustom.com
post #79 of 3215 Old 06-20-2004, 01:07 PM

I use VOOM and I am very satisfied with it. I also have DirecTV for NFL Ticket. I believe Peter's assessment is right on target.
post #80 of 3215 Old 06-23-2004, 07:07 PM

Can anyone confirm that WESH is broadcasting tonight. I'm trying to toy w/ a STB and that is the only channel I can't pick up. Blech
post #81 of 3215 Old 06-23-2004, 07:13 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

They were on the air when I was surfing a few minutes ago...
post #82 of 3215 Old 06-24-2004, 04:57 AM

I was watching LAW AND ORDER but the picture was breaking up so badly around 10:30 that I switched to Channel 2 (analog).
Robbie
post #83 of 3215 Old 06-24-2004, 05:00 AM

In an unrelated question to anyone else with an OTA...I haven't been able to get a signal off my antenna for the locals for the past few days with Directv. Anyone else having a reception problem or could it be something with my antenna or receiver, it had been working fine until recently. I'm in the Melbourne area. Thanks.
post #84 of 3215 Old 06-24-2004, 05:07 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Except for the usual problems with WESH when it rains, I haven't noticed any reception problems from any of the Orlando stations.

Sounds like a coax or antenna problem. With all the rain, its possible that any of the outside coax connectors could have water in them. If that turns out to be the problem, clean/dry them out and run down to TedCo and get some coax sealer tape to water proof them.
post #85 of 3215 Old 06-24-2004, 05:18 AM

I'll give that a shot tonight...thanks for the suggestion.
post #86 of 3215 Old 06-24-2004, 05:22 AM

Just a thought, but I have my antenna in my attic. Last year the heat (and night-time cooling) caused the coax to flex and turn so much that I lost my connection. Solution, of course, was to tighten very snuggly and tape.
Robbie
post #87 of 3215 Old 06-24-2004, 05:34 AM

Does anybody know of a good DirectTV installer in the Orlando area?

I've never had satellite before and I just ordered the following yesterday:

I'm getting 3 SD-DVR 40's for only 49.99 each with free standard installation. Separately I also ordered the Channel Master Gain Master DIRECTV Triple LNB Dish Combo with Terk BMS-58.

I did a search on "install" and read alot of horror stories about the "free professional installation"

I want it done right so I think I'd rather just pay somebody GOOD to do it right the first time. If anybody has experience with an good installer in my Orlando area that they know will do it an excellent job, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks for any info.
post #88 of 3215 Old 06-24-2004, 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Thats Classified
In an unrelated question to anyone else with an OTA...I haven't been able to get a signal off my antenna for the locals for the past few days with Directv. Anyone else having a reception problem or could it be something with my antenna or receiver, it had been working fine until recently. I'm in the Melbourne area. Thanks.

My locals off the air have been fine in Oakland (as far west in the county as you can go) however I've had a major issue with SAT C on my setup where several channels are not working. I've not been able to watch E (Entertainment TV), ESPN HD and a few others on my HD box in days. E works fine on my non-HD Tivo receiver in the master. Not sure why this is just starting now but of the 3 active transponders on the C bird, only 2 have been seeing a solid signal.

Miguel
post #89 of 3215 Old 06-24-2004, 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by cktb2793
Does anybody know of a good DirectTV installer in the Orlando area?

I've never had satellite before and I just ordered the following yesterday:

I'm getting 3 SD-DVR 40's for only 49.99 each with free standard installation. Separately I also ordered the Channel Master Gain Master DIRECTV Triple LNB Dish Combo with Terk BMS-58.

I did a search on "install" and read alot of horror stories about the "free professional installation"

I want it done right so I think I'd rather just pay somebody GOOD to do it right the first time. If anybody has experience with an good installer in my Orlando area that they know will do it an excellent job, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks for any info.

I don't know if it's OK for me to plug my business, but my company, Higher Definition, does professional satellite installations, as well as OTA antenna installs. I would be more then happy to talk to you about what the differences are between our services and the 'Free Installation' guys. Most of the horror stories you hear are true. I go behind those guys constantly and fix their poor workmanship.

You can contact me via email at fforlano@higherdef.com, and we'll get together and discuss your needs.

Best regards,

Fred Forlano
Higher Definition

(p.s.: I am not out to openly use the forums to plug my business, so if this is an unacceptable post, please feel free to remove it.)
post #90 of 3215 Old 06-24-2004, 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by aforlano
I don't know if it's OK for me to plug my business, but my company, Higher Definition, does professional satellite installations, as well as OTA antenna installs. I would be more then happy to talk to you about what the differences are between our services and the 'Free Installation' guys. Most of the horror stories you hear are true. I go behind those guys constantly and fix their poor workmanship.

You can contact me via email at fforlano@higherdef.com, and we'll get together and discuss your needs.

Best regards,

Fred Forlano
Higher Definition

(p.s.: I am not out to openly use the forums to plug my business, so if this is an unacceptable post, please feel free to remove it.)

Thank you......I sent you an email.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page