AVS Forum banner

Orlando, FL - OTA

543K views 4K replies 371 participants last post by  cwpl 
#1 ·
Welcome to the new Central Florida Summer 2004 OTA & Satellite thread !

With the Central Florida Thread being mostly concerned with BHN issues, it seemed best to split off the OTA and Satellite postings to a separate thread so they don't get buried among the BHN postings.

Local TV stations and channel mapping information can be found on rabbitears.info
www.rabbitears.info/market.php?mktid=26

Orlando station's emails:

WESH/WCKF: bdarragh@hearst.com

WFTV/WRDQ: john.demshock@wftv.com

WKMG: Frank Torbert techquestions@local6.com or Frank Z webchannel@wkmg.com

WCEU: SCHWARB@dbcc.edu

WOFL/WRBW: jeff.roberts@foxtv.com

WMFE: mike_simmons@wmfe.pbs.org

WOPX: Unknown

WBCC: padgetta@brevardcc.edu

WVEN/WOTF: aguernica@entravision.com (GM)

For more info about HD and DTV reception visit the following sites:

www.orlandodigital.tv has more information on HD programming availability, HD news, links to equipment manufacturers, weekly HDTV listings and links to earlier Central Florida AVS threads. Sign up @ the website to get notifications for Central Florida HD Society events.

www.antennaweb.org has information you might find helpful for setting up your OTA antenna and recommendations on antenna requirements.

The Official AVS Antenna / OTA Reception Topic!
www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=381623

Antennas, rotators, boosters/preamps... for wide-band VHF/UHF
www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=546066

OVER-THE-AIR DIGITAL TELEVISION RECEPTION FAQ: New to OTA? Start here!
www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=611957

The Official AVS HDTV STB Synopsis - Fall 2008!
/www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=179095

EV's Best Top Rated HDTV Indoor Antenna Review Test Round-Up Guide
www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1037779

Google earth station coverage map for Central Florida
http://www.tvfool.com/index.php?opti...ask=view&id=15

(requires download the map using a torrent program like uTorrent ( www.utorrent.com/ )

and google earth ( earth.google.com/download-earth.htm l)

Be sure to check out the AVS forum's (AVS HDTV Forum) programming, hardware and recording threads.

Help for troubleshooting reception problems can be found at www.orlandodigital.tv/faq7.htm

See less See more
#2 ·
Since I am now a proud owner of an HD Tivo, I've been trying to get D* to get the program listing/channel mapping for WRBW-DT fixed. So far, two calls and nothing yet. Anyone else with the problem should call and complain. Hopefully with more people calling, they will get around to it.

#4 ·
The reception seems to be a little better than the old Panny. I used to have problems locking on to WESH, but don't with the HD TiVo.

The program guide is a little nicer, you can change the view of the on screen info from station ID, station id + program title or full program info. The guide isn't bad except for being slow. You can choose between the D* guide or the TiVo guide which shows the list of stations on the left and a few hours of programming for the selection station on the right. You can also prune the guide program listings by type, including HD programming.

There are setup screens to define channels you receive and favorite channels, so you can cut out channels you don't want to see when surfing.

PQ seems to be on par with the Panny. I have read some complains about the PQ, but I don't seem to see them.

The has an OTA signal strength meter which is kinda of nice for tuning in out of area stations.

The recorder is easy to use and has all the standard TiVo features like wish list, Season pass & etc.

My only real complain is that it doesn't have a native mode, so I have to switch resolutions when I want to watch ABC or ESPN in 720p. The PQ of SD looks pretty good in 1080i so I tend to leave it there. SD stuff on 480p or 720p doesn't looks that good for some reason (same as it was on the Panny though). Its does put up gray bars for SD on 480i or when up converted to 1080i/720p/480p. You can have it stretch to fill the screen. You can also set the bar color to black.

The remote has buttons to change the resolution and stretch/don't stretch SD. Another complaint is that the TV input button is under the sub-channel button so I tend to accidentally hit the wrong button at times.

It seems that all channel remapping and Program info has to come from D*.

The unit seems to have a problem with occasional audio drop-outs. Doesn't seem to be limited to the DD 5.1 output either. Rumor has it there is a firmware update coming but it isn't anything more than that. There is some else going on with HDNET which might be compounding the problem.

Overall, aside from the 3 complaints, I'm quite pleased with it. Especially since I've had it for three weeks and it hasn't rebooted it self, unlike the Panny or previous SA digital cable boxes

I plan to bring the TiVo/manual to the meeting next week.There have been issues when the HDMI port not working on some units. Hope to check mine out next week as well while the unit is still under warranty.

The best bet for getting one seems to be timely checking of the CC website.

The manual is on the www.orlandodigital.tv site, I believe it is on the hardware page.

#5 ·

Quote:
Originally posted by rich21
The unit seems to have a problem with occasional audio drop-outs. Doesn't seem to be limited to the DD 5.1 output either. Rumor has it there is a firmware update coming but it isn't anything more than that. There is some else going on with HDNET which might be compounding the problem.

I've had the HD Tivo for the past month and have not had any audio problems (except the occasional HDnet problem). I am using the optical output to an Onkyo 898 receiver. Most of the audio problems I've read about are related to specific receivers (certain Pioneer Elite models seem to be affected the most). Overall I'm happy with the HD Tivo. It works exactly as I expected. I also own two SD Directivos so I was already familiar with how 2 tuner integrated Tivos work.

Jay

#7 ·
Anyone have any luck with Tropo reception thursday from north of Florida about midnight on Thursday night?

I am in Florence, SC and I picked up the 11 PM news and part of nightline from WFTV-39 (9) for about an hour before it faded out.

I was astonished, about 400 miles using a silver sensor aimed out the window run into a radio shack preamp! (I wonder if tropo would let people in Florida see the stations here?)

Just thought I'd let you know. (I emailed the station too)

#8 ·
Marco,

I didn't watch too much OTA last night but didn't notice any problems. I checked the signal strengths of all the locals this morning and they were fairly stable, with WFTV, WRDQ, WOFL and WCKF the most stable, WESH being the worse. Nothing that would cause drop outs .. Will check again tonight. I do run with a channel master pre-map.

If you could not the channels and the time/date when we could try to match things up..

Nottacky,

I think Satpro has gotten stuff from out of state. I don't look for anything outside of Tampa or West Palm...

#9 ·

Quote:
Marco,

I do run with a channel master pre-map.

If you could not the channels and the time/date when we could try to match things up.

I also have a pre-amp. Last night during "Without a Trace (chl 6)" I had no signal for about 2 minutes. Happened twice during the show. If it's the tower, I'm ok with that... just want to make sure it's not me.

Don't stess over it. I don't want to hijack the thread.

Just checking.

#11 ·
Something else to consider regarding WESH-DT....

They are the only one of the local Orlando stations to broadcast on a VHF (11.1) frequency instead of a UHF frequency. If you are using a UHF-only antenna, that could be the cause of your problems.

Weingard makes an antenna specifically for the Orlando market, called (oddly enough) the "Orlando Special". It has ONE VHF element just for WESH, and the rest are UHF.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Fred Forlano

#12 ·
Winegard no longer makes the Orlando special because they require a 100 piece order, and since that antenna was designed to compensate for the odd location of analog 2, the decrease in people trying to pick up all the analogs when they can just point one full range antenna towards bithlo/Christmas and get the digitals has resulted in no distributors that carry Winegard willing to meet the minimum order.

The "Orlando special" part of that antenna is actually cut for channel 2, (and the other part of the antenna has a channel 2 notch) Since WESH's digital carrier is 11 the Orlando special is somewhat useless and is not needed for reception of digital channels.

#13 ·

Quote:
Welcome to the new Central Florida Summer 2004 OTA & Satellite thread !

With the Central Florida Thread being mostly concerned with BHN issues, it seemed best to split off the OTA and Satellite postings to a separate thread so they don't get buried among the BHN postings.

Rich; Thanks for starting this thread. I know the BHN folks have a lot things to discuss (i.e., the latest Pace box) but if you're on satellite and/or OTA, we are interested in different things (except programming).

Thanks again, Robbie

#14 ·
Could someone post the link for the BHN thread? Doesn't seems to be any activity since the thread split and I fear I missed the new link. Thanks in advance.

BTW, since we are now almost in June ad the new 7S sat has been up for weeks, has anyone heard any rumors for HD additions to the D* lineup? The NBA ECF and Stanley Cup games have looked great a dis getting me psyched for more.

Thanks.

#16 ·
The current speculations for new D* additions can be found here..
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...4&pagenumber=1

Given D*'s track record, I don't expect any official announcements until the channels have already been added.

Fred,

I am using a VHF/UHF antenna. I suspect WESH being the weakest here is probably more due to trees and a little less antenna gain on the VHF side. Its also possible that we here to the SE are on fringe of the WESH radiation pattern.

Anyway, with the STB, no problems with WESH any more.

#17 ·
I messed up and posted this a thread when I meant it as a reply.

You folks can probably help me a lot. Just bought a place in Melbourne Beach, and need to decide between D* and BHN. I have D* with 65" Mitsu in South Carolina, and am well pleased. Have always hated cable, but I have heard good stuff about BHN. So, which way to go? My major interest is HD plus locals, with emphasis on PQ. Thanks.

#18 ·
All the locals can be received off the air and D* boxes support OTA reception. BHN carriers most of the digital stations, including those that have HD programming. So for us in S. Brevard, BHN does not carry WCEU-DT (which doesn't do HD as yet) which we can receive OTA (at least the last I knew). BHN does not carry the subchannels (like real time radar, various FL PBS channels & etc). D* carries the CBS-HD feed and will carry the FOX-HD feed. We will only be able to get the FOX feed because WOFL is FOX O&O.

A more complete comparison of offerings & price can be found at http://www.orlandodigital.tv/HD_Reception.htm

D* has the HD-TIVO if you can get one. BHN hasn't release their HD PVR as yet. We will have both boxes at the meeting on Saturday if your in town.. Signup at www.orlandodigital.tv. or PM Barry928.

Welcome to the area...

#19 ·

Quote:
Originally posted by PeterShipp
Winegard no longer makes the Orlando special because they require a 100 piece order, and since that antenna was designed to compensate for the odd location of analog 2, the decrease in people trying to pick up all the analogs when they can just point one full range antenna towards bithlo/Christmas and get the digitals has resulted in no distributors that carry Winegard willing to meet the minimum order.

The "Orlando special" part of that antenna is actually cut for channel 2, (and the other part of the antenna has a channel 2 notch) Since WESH's digital carrier is 11 the Orlando special is somewhat useless and is not needed for reception of digital channels.

I didn't know they stopped selling that antenna. My business partner told me about that antenna. He said he thought they still made it, but he wasn't sure. He's currently stationed over in Iraq, so I'll have to wait until he gets back to let him know. Thanks for the updated info!

Regards,

Fred Forlano

#20 ·
rich21-

Wow! Talk about an answer. That was the greatest. I have followed your links, as well as your advice. Thanks a lot. Sorry we won't be there this weekend. Probably not until fall.

#21 ·

Quote:
All the locals can be received off the air and D* boxes support OTA reception. BHN carriers most of the digital stations, including those that have HD programming. So for us in S. Brevard, BHN does not carry WCEU-DT (which doesn't do HD as yet) which we can receive OTA (at least the last I knew). BHN does not carry the subchannels (like real time radar, various FL PBS channels & etc).

D* carries the CBS-HD feed and will carry the FOX-HD feed. We will only be able to get the FOX feed because WOFL is FOX O&O.

Rich: WKMG-DT has granted a waiver for their viewers to get the CBS E & W HD channels on D*. $2.00 per month.

Robbie

#22 ·
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Rich: WKMG-DT has granted a waiver for their viewers to get the CBS E & W HD channels on D*. $2.00 per month.

Robbi

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Can you share a few details on this one? I'm in south Orlando and have been grappling with different antenna configurations to get the OTA signals working solidly with my HDTiVo. I'd certainly be willing to pay an extra couple of dollars to take one more station out of the effort.

#23 ·
Wow! This is unprecedented. Selling viewer eyeballs to an out of market network feed for $2 a month shows acceptance by WKMG of a changing broadcaster business model. It opens the possibility of the broadcaster fragmenting out their 6mhz of bandwidth to datacasting or USDTV multicasting while providing the viewer who wants a hi bit rate network feed another path. This will be a national AVS thread when confirmed by WKMG. I could not find anything on their website.

#25 ·
WOFL-DT just changed their signal format from 1080i to 720p, this was based on the diagnostics screen of my DTV tuner card. It used to read 1920x1088 now it is reading 1280x720 (which has been verified through viewing the diagnostics screen for WTVT-DT 12 and WFLX-DT 28 when those signals go through.

And one more thing there was some DX going on yesterday.

And one local DTV I never have been able to get came through, that was WVEN-DT 49. Still no luck with WACX-DT 40

Out Of Area (all were within FL though) DTV's noted

WJXX-DT 10 Orange Park

WTLV-DT 13 Jacksonville

WTEV-DT 19 Jacksonville

WOGX-DT 31 Ocala

WAWS-DT 32 Jacksonville

WJWB-DT 34 Jacksonville

WUFT-DT 36 Gainesville

WJCT-DT 38 Jacksonville

WJXT-DT 42 Jacksonville

I believe there might have been others too, I just forgot them.