post #541 of 2164 Old 01-14-2006, 11:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVECS1 View Post

FOX bounces from 49-56% without ever locking in. The bouncing makes me think I need some type of signal conditioning, but I have no idea were to start.

Bouncing generally indicates multipath (bounced signal or ghost). It could also be interference from 25 or 31 but this is likely only if you have an amp in the line. Strong 25 would overload an amp at a frequencies near 28 (FOX digital).

When this occurs, sometimes a booster helps, sometimes reducing the signal helps. Every location is different. You'll have to experiment. UHF is magic. They make single channel attenuators and I had several to reduce strong stations so I could amplify weak ones. With the digital channels being stuffed between analog channels, I had to take them all out to receive the digital stations. Analog deteriorated but digital substitutes nicely. I don't know of any simple equipment to check the quality of digital broadcasts.

Quote:

I thought about adding more height to the antenna, but I am at 6' on an eve mount. I used good hardware and everything seems secure, but I have no idea what kind of loads that mount is seeing during wind gusts and ice storms.

I always use tripods; never had a leak and held up when a tornado passed by within 100 yards.

Given the pathetic nature of cable and local broadcasters, my next investment will be a small tower and rotator. I'd like to get PBS's WILL. They have much better programming than WTVP. CBS in the Quad Cities is supposed to be in HD. I think there is an HD WB station too. FOX in Springfield and in the Quad Cities often carry sports from different regions as do the other Network stations.

Sturgeon's Law: "Nothing is always absolutely so."
Sturgeons Revelation: "Ninety percent of everything is crud."
My Thoughts: "A reasoned argument must share some basic common points."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 2164 Old 01-15-2006, 09:34 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well I lifted it up to 7' and used some steel cable to anchor it to the roof. My wife asked if I was setting up my own broadcasting company.

Now if I wait a couple minutes Fox will come on at about 79%. So I will live with that for now. I have also heard there may be some problems with how the 811 grabs signals.

As far as signals from other areas are concerned, That would be great, but I don't have a chance. Unless I errected my own tower I helped a friend in dunlap set up his HD OTA. He was using a Samsung reciever and we purchased the 4228 and a rotor for him. He had towers in multiple directions. He recieves Quad Cities NBC and CBS and yes CBS is in HD and it is a nice feed! It was also nice because he was able to watch Surface when the Bradley game was on. His antenna is in the attic! I think his reciever has alot to do with it also.

At any rate I am looking forward to the Bears. As they say all systems are go. Thanks for the help. If you ever need a hand putting up some of your equipment I would not mind getting some pointer from someone more experienced. I have lots of tools, and I am supposedly and enginerd.
post #543 of 2164 Old 01-15-2006, 01:13 PM
Advanced Member

I have a small tripod on my roof and a ten foot mast, I have a radio shack rotor and a channelmaster 777x series pre-amp, I use a televes dat-75 antenna. This setup is a bit directional and does require the rotor for wyzz and wqad, it is nice to be able to grab the quad cities digitals when needed and when the weather is right for tropo propagation then you can spin it wherever you want and grab staions from hundreds of miles away.

40° 42' 17" N 89° 36' 57" W
If a station is broadcasting and no-one can receive them, then are they broadcasting?
post #544 of 2164 Old 01-19-2006, 09:48 AM

Hi everyone, I am new to this site. I just got HDTV from Direct TV yesterday, and hope it's not a mistake. I am getting all locals except for WMBD and WHOI in HDTV.

Anyone else have Direct TV...and can tell me if they are receiving the same programming? I did speak to WMBD engineer this morning and he says its coming this summer. Sounds like empty promises.
post #545 of 2164 Old 01-19-2006, 10:00 AM

Is something up ?

WHOI-DT doesn't seem to be coming in. I get signal strength, but no picture.

. . . Bud
post #546 of 2164 Old 01-19-2006, 11:33 AM

Hey . . .

I've got the Avia Guide to Home Theater DVD. Since it's something I won't need but a few times, I would be happy to lend it out (with some sort of 100% returnable deposit).

I live in Eureka, and work in Peoria. Let me know . . . BSandy at the Y! Place.

. . . Bud
post #547 of 2164 Old 01-19-2006, 12:04 PM

cbsstinks,

All the channels are coming OTA by digital, CBS(WMBD) has yet to start broadcasting in HD.

I hope others chime in, but I went to watch LOST and INVASION last night and WHOI was blank. They were broadcasting but nothing was being played. I cannot begin how frustrating it is to go through all the trouble of buying and seeting up equipment for OTA broadcasts that are said to be available, only to find out that the people responsible on the transmitting end, are not holding up there part of the bargain. At least have the curtousy to put up a screen that indicates technical difficulties. A black screen for all I know indicates that Chad was outback smokin a dubie and forgot to flip the HD switch.
post #548 of 2164 Old 01-19-2006, 12:34 PM

Thanks DaveCS1 . . .

I'm glad it was not only me, that was having WHOI-DT issues last nite.

It was still that way, this morning. Is it fixed, now ?

. . . Bud
post #549 of 2164 Old 01-19-2006, 01:14 PM

Dave...on Direct TV they have CBS, CBSDT 1 and CBS...3. I was wondering what the CBS3 is? I know the CBSDT1 won't come in. But...I have my local CBS and a CBS...3 coming in.

Any ideas?
post #550 of 2164 Old 01-19-2006, 02:41 PM

Hmmm . . . Looks like the made room for HD in the channel scheme.

. . . Bud
post #551 of 2164 Old 01-19-2006, 04:03 PM

I watched Lost last night on WHOI-DT through Insight and it came in perfectly. I emailed the station last week about the lack of HD and audio sync problems last week. The reply said that they were upgrading equipment but it didn't go as smooth as planned. I'm surprised that OTA wouldn't work, but Insight would.
post #552 of 2164 Old 01-19-2006, 04:18 PM

If anyone see's whoi in HD tonight please post. This will allow me to look at the channel and see if i am receiving their feed.
post #553 of 2164 Old 01-19-2006, 05:41 PM

I actually get every channel in Hi Def except for 31 WMBD, and WTAE UPN 59. The Channels are there...just no broadcast!
post #554 of 2164 Old 01-20-2006, 06:57 AM

WHOI-DT was working for me last night (Thursday), but is was going in and out this morning (Friday).

I hope they're just getting their $H!T together for the superbowl !

. . . Bud
post #555 of 2164 Old 01-20-2006, 01:26 PM
Advanced Member

I recorded Lost in HD from WHOI and watched it later and it was just fine.

If a station is broadcasting and no-one can receive them, then are they broadcasting?
post #556 of 2164 Old 01-20-2006, 02:14 PM

I tried to email Kevin Harlan the Station Manager of WMBD using the email address from the stations web site. I received the email back saying that his email is no longer in service.

I guess he got tired of the question and answer session about how bad his station sucks.

I am a big Steeler fan, and was in anticipation for the big AFC championship in HD. I guess I need to pray for the Super Bowl.
post #557 of 2164 Old 01-20-2006, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbsstinks View Post

I am a big Steeler fan, and was in anticipation for the big AFC championship in HD. I guess I need to pray for the Super Bowl.

I wouldn't stop there. I would keep praying for WHOI to get their act together as well. Hopefully this "upgrade" is in preparation for the Super Bowl. Unforutanely, I wouldn't be overly surprised if it is the same 'ole, same 'ole come Super Sunday, especially with HOI.

Hitachi 57S715
Zenith DVB318
Onkyo HTS-670S
post #558 of 2164 Old 01-20-2006, 09:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I guess he got tired of the question and answer session about how bad his station sucks.

WYZZ once took their phone off the hook for 3 days when they decided to not show the last 4 episodes of one season of Babylon 5 because they weren't going to show the next season. (they were running them at 1 or 2 AM) My wife got through before they shut down their phone and said they didn't know anyone was watching the show. (They picked up the rest of the series after that)

post #559 of 2164 Old 01-21-2006, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grdn2 View Post

I wouldn't stop there. I would keep praying for WHOI to get their act together as well. Hopefully this "upgrade" is in preparation for the Super Bowl. Unforutanely, I wouldn't be overly surprised if it is the same 'ole, same 'ole come Super Sunday, especially with HOI.

That's okay, I have had Sunday ticket 3 seasons in a row. I won't have to worry about this crappy network come football season.

I am a big Cardinals fan or I would have moved to Chicago a long time ago.
post #560 of 2164 Old 01-21-2006, 06:45 AM

If you don't have HD you shouldn't be allowed to air NFL games, specially playoff games. I know its a local network thing...but maybe the local networks should be bidding for rights to the game rather than the overall network with the most money.
post #561 of 2164 Old 01-22-2006, 07:01 PM

Quote:

I tried to email Kevin Harlan the Station Manager of WMBD using the email address from the stations web site. I received the email back saying that his email is no longer in service.

Insight is working on getting HD from WMBD. They have recently run fiber to them but WMBD has no clue what they are doing.... Some of you may know that WYZZ and MBD have been the worst broadcasters in the area. Funny they were both managed by the same people (those at WMBD). Harlan told me some time ago that WMBD had no plans of going HD any time in the near future. Only digital. Sinclair Broadcasting (WYZZ) apparently had words with management and said FOX WILL go HD. WMBD has really been under fire from CBS network to go HD as I understand. They claim they cannot afford it and for the first time in history an affiliatte asked for cash from the cable company and the Dish's to carry HD. Insight has worked out a preliminary deal with them. Not sure about the Dish's. I can almost garauntee it will not be up by SuperBowl barring some miracle of somehow finding an engineer who knows what the hell they are doing.
post #562 of 2164 Old 01-22-2006, 09:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Fortunately, the Superbowl is on ABC (WHOI) this year. Hopefully they will get their "upgrades" done and someone will remember to flip the appropriate switches.

The CBS network, enjoying superior ratings, would be understandably upset about an affiliate that won't even broadcast HD and is going to rely on a land line to the Insight building on Dries lane (about a half block from the WMBD studio) if I understand the "fiber" reference correctly.

FOX is of course in HD and doing a good job, although probably not the local originated programming (does WYZZ even have any "local programming"?). One of their employees was keeping the forum updated on the situation at WYZZ but he has not been heard from for a while.

Sinclair demanding compensation for HD cable carriage is a national policy, much discussed around here. A local asking for additional help would indeed be a little unusual. If Sinclair is getting money for carriage then they should be helping their locals to upgrade otherwise it becomes an unfunded mandate situation (like Illinois School Districts).

Historically, WMBD has had audio problems (sync type buzz) for about 30 years (it got worse when they went stereo). It will be interesting to see if they solve it with digital broadcasting.

post #563 of 2164 Old 01-23-2006, 07:06 AM

Sitting in the Wendy's drive-thru one day, I thought . . .

Why do they need 26 dishes ?

and . . .

Someone could sure fix WMBD with a pair if wire cutters. I hope no one is pissed at them.

and . . .

Do Frostys go well with Chilli ?

. . . Bud (Evil Thoughts, but no Evil Intentions)
post #564 of 2164 Old 01-23-2006, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaphod7501 View Post

Fortunately, the Superbowl is on ABC (WHOI) this year. Hopefully they will get their "upgrades" done and someone will remember to flip the appropriate switches.

The CBS network, enjoying superior ratings, would be understandably upset about an affiliate that won't even broadcast HD and is going to rely on a land line to the Insight building on Dries lane (about a half block from the WMBD studio) if I understand the "fiber" reference correctly.

FOX is of course in HD and doing a good job, although probably not the local originated programming (does WYZZ even have any "local programming"?). One of their employees was keeping the forum updated on the situation at WYZZ but he has not been heard from for a while.

Sinclair demanding compensation for HD cable carriage is a national policy, much discussed around here. A local asking for additional help would indeed be a little unusual. If Sinclair is getting money for carriage then they should be helping their locals to upgrade otherwise it becomes an unfunded mandate situation (like Illinois School Districts).

Historically, WMBD has had audio problems (sync type buzz) for about 30 years (it got worse when they went stereo). It will be interesting to see if they solve it with digital broadcasting.

I was so ticked at WMBD for not airing in HD. Oh well...I guess I can't be worried anymore. Yesterday is over...and now we move on to the Super Bowl. Lets see if ABC and WHOI can do something for the fans.

I like many hope WHOI does well for the viewers on SB Sunday!
post #565 of 2164 Old 01-23-2006, 08:24 AM

I have an EE degree. I would be willing to donate my time to get WMBD up on HD. I wonder if they take charity?
post #566 of 2164 Old 01-23-2006, 03:19 PM

This makes no sense to me.

I have an omnidirectional from RadioShack, model 15-1634. It's on the roof.

I get "Weak Signal" for almost all the local's, 43.1,2, 20.1, 23.1, etc... I can however get Fox 18 from Davenport Iowa perfectly.

What am I doing wrong?

Joe
post #567 of 2164 Old 01-23-2006, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaphod7501 View Post

None of the locals are presently doing any local HD broadcasting that I am aware of except WTVP which is a joke calling that HD. Yes fiber optic cable has been run to WMBD but they are a bit clueless as far as what to do with it. It wasn't Sinclair that was asking for "cash" to carry HD. As far as I understand it was WMBD and WHOI sorry about not being clear on that. According to Insight its the first time this has ever been demanded and you can imagine the precedent of agreeing to such a demand would set.
post #568 of 2164 Old 01-23-2006, 06:26 PM
Advanced Member

All of the locals are doing HDTV except for 31 (cheap owners), I have seen a couple of movies on 39.1 waoe (59) that were stunning quality and I thought that they were not doing hd.I watch all my CBS on sat in HD and may never watch 31 again. The movie a couple of weekends ago that I saw on WAOE was Hell Race or something like that, a bad "B" movie but the picture quality was so good it sucked me in. As for WTVP quality it is excellent and they have been HD for years, one of the first in the U.S. if you are not seeing good quality I would have to say that it is your equipment or the way you have it setup, I have 2 different setups (rear projection and an LCD 37 inch) and picture is stellar on both.

post #569 of 2164 Old 01-23-2006, 07:50 PM

What's up with 43 ?

I got no digital signal on Monday Night.

. . . Bud
post #570 of 2164 Old 01-24-2006, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsandy View Post

What's up with 43 ?

I got no digital signal on Monday Night.

. . . Bud

Sandy, I haven't had any problems with WYZZ. I had a problem getting a signal on WHOI last night...but it's fine today!
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page