Peoria, IL - HDTV - Page 2 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 2205 Old 10-03-2004, 05:37 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
From Bloomington I can get 55's (Springfield Fox) analog signal in but it's weak. I rarely can get 55-1 though. Does anyone else in Bloomington pick up 55-1?

I never get it on my Zeith box (520), but occasionally it comes in on the Samsung (360).

At this point I'm wondering if it's more likely that 55 will boost their signal enough to be picked up in Bloomington or 43 ever going HD. Since 43 is run by the same folks as 31 I don't see it happening in my lifetime and I'm not that old.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 2205 Old 10-04-2004, 09:41 AM - Thread Starter

Well if you email WYZZ they will swear to you they are going to go HD, but they've been saying that since the beginning of the year. It's really ridiculous.
post #33 of 2205 Old 10-04-2004, 11:59 AM
EAW

I'm annoyed with WYZZ in principal but being able to receive WRSP 55-1 causes me to think about WYZZ less. Truth is, if WRSP showed more Simpsons I wouldn't think of WYZZ at all.

WMBD is a mystery. Their parent company has stated they will not go HD until the government mandates it. Yet they won't sign waivers. Do they really think we WANT to pay DirectTV $2.25 per month for CBSHD? Of course we don't but they leave no choice.

They claim there aren't enough people watching HD in the area to justify the cost? Really WMBD? If there are so few people, then sign the waivers, who cares?

They they'll talk out of the other side of thier ......er..... mouth and say they won't sign waivers because they'll lose local advertising dollars. Really WMBD? I thought your OTHER stance is that there aren't enough HD watchers to matter. Which is it?
post #34 of 2205 Old 10-04-2004, 02:23 PM

The latest response to my email. I think this is a form letter:

We are working on HD on FOX and hope to be up and broadcasting in the next 60 days or so.

Kevin L. Harlan

WMBD-TV / WYZZ-TV

Peoria, IL

(309) 686-9400

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sent: Sunday, October 03, 2004 8:08 PM
To: kevinh@wmbd.com
Subject: 31 and 43

I'm sure you know that you have the only two stations without HD in the Bloomington area. It appears that you have no plans to ever get HD. Hopefully, congress will pass the bill that would allow me to get HD from Direct TV if the local affiliate is not offering it.

I can get 55-1 out of Springfield to come in sometimes, I figure they'll likely boost their power before 43-1 adds HD. With all the sports on FOX, including the Cardinals in the playoffs it's a shame to have such cheap affiliates such as 43.
post #35 of 2205 Old 10-04-2004, 04:11 PM
EAW

I don't think Kevin is a bad guy. I'd be willing to bet he'd like to provide HD. It's the mothership that says no. If you look at their financial statements I can even see why.

That's why they should grant waivers for the small portion of Central Illinois HDTVers who can see every HD broadcast except CBS (well, and I guess WB).
post #36 of 2205 Old 10-04-2004, 05:41 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:

Originally posted by TAR61704
From Bloomington I can get 55's (Springfield Fox) analog signal in but it's weak. I rarely can get 55-1 though. Does anyone else in Bloomington pick up 55-1?

I never get it on my Zeith box (520), but occasionally it comes in on the Samsung (360).

At this point I'm wondering if it's more likely that 55 will boost their signal enough to be picked up in Bloomington or 43 ever going HD. Since 43 is run by the same folks as 31 I don't see it happening in my lifetime and I'm not that old.

Yeah I can get WRSP 55 analog here in Bloomington 50% - can't pick up 55-1 at all. I wish they'd boost the signal too so I could get my football in HD. :/
post #37 of 2205 Old 10-07-2004, 06:10 AM

Today's Peoria Journal Star (10/7/04) answer's a reader's HD question in their Hotline section on the back of the local pages.

Q: When will Channels 25 and 31 start broadcasting high definition television programs and offer it to the local cable company, Insight?

Channel 19 already makes available to Insight HD programs on their network. The problem is that their reception is so poor, you might as well watch the regular broadcast. HDNET, EPSN, and PBS all have amuch better signal which results in an excellent picture in HD and makes you glad that you made the investment in HD.

What plans does Channel 19 have to improve its HD signal provided to Insight Cable?

I sent similar inquiries to each of the local stations a few weeks ago but have not gotten a response from any of them.

A: Hotline e-mailed all three stations about your question.

Channel 31 did not respond. However, Mark DeSantis, president and general manager of WEEK-TV, had to say about plans for Channel 25.

"Retransmission consent for WEEK's HDTV signal has been in the negotitation process for a number of months," he said. "There are issues on both sides that have not yeat been cleared up. I think this will be resolved, but I cannot predict when.

In the meantime, WEEK continues to broadcast a full power HDTV signal on a 24/7 basis receivable with a digital tuner and a rabit ears antenna free over-the-air."

Here is what Dave Kuehn, who serves as general manager of WHOI-TV Channel 19, had to say about the situation.

"We are having ongoing difficulties with our digital transmitter," he said. "We have tried several solution from our engineers and those suggested by the builder of the equipment with only intermittent resolution of the problem.

"I am requesting that a representative of the builder come to Peoria and provide and answer to the situation. WHOI has every intention of providing a clear digital/HDTV signal and will continue to work on this problem until it is solved."
You said you sent an inquiry to all three stations, but you did not say if you emailed the question or sent it by US Postal Service. If you did not e-mail your question, check out all three Web sites and use either the 'Contact Us' or the 'Ask the Manager' link.

The Web addresses are:
Channel 19, www.hoinews.com
Channel 25, www.week.com
Channel 31, www.wmbd.com
post #38 of 2205 Old 10-07-2004, 06:53 AM
EAW

I'd like to follow up with them. The fact is (as mentioned) WEEK does broadcast reliable HD. WHOI does a decent job as well. Last weeks MNF was fine.

The follow up needs to surround WMBD. Have someone at the Journal star call Nexstar. They'll be told they have NO PLANS FOR WMBD TO GO HD. Then press WMBD on why they won't sign waivers for Central Illinois Customers considering this fact.

As I've noted above, they'll throw out their local advertising BS, which, as noted above, is just that, BS.
post #39 of 2205 Old 10-07-2004, 02:01 PM

Channel 31 did not respond

What a shock! I agree it's channel 31 that should be the focus here, at least channel 19 has HD and is trying to work the bugs out. Channel 31 is 60 days or so away from implementation, no matter when you ask them.
post #40 of 2205 Old 10-07-2004, 04:48 PM

Perfect chance to write a letter to the Editor.
post #41 of 2205 Old 10-07-2004, 05:36 PM

I sent this off in response to the PJStar story:

Brenda,

I thought I'd touch on the HDTV article a bit more, but perhaps this would be better suited for a letter to the editor? If so please let me know where to forward-

My note is in response to the recent HDTV Question & Answer posted here:

http://www.pjstar.com/stories/100704...EPUU.018.shtml

As shown, all channels with the exception of WMBD responded to your HDTV request. Many of us HDTV-capable users could have predicted this before you ever wasted your time attempting to contact the WMBD staff. How? We all get together and chat in Central-Illinois HDTV Message Boards on www.AVSForum.com (the power of the Internet!). We've found, in our own wasted attempts for HDTV in Central Illinois, that WMDB feels that there is not a large enough Central Illinois HDTV audience to justify the conversion. Let's look at another local channel that is not providing HDTV - WYZZ Fox 43 (unfortunately you left them out of your request). Do you think it's a coincidence that WMBD and WYZZ, with their ownership relationship, both happen to be neglecting HDTV for Central Illinois? We don't.

Regardless, emotion aside - let's look at it logically. WMBD tells us there aren't enough HDTV capable users to warrant an HDTV broadcast. Fine. However, as the satellite community knows, one can request to receive the East Coast (New York) CBS feed via a waiver - a pretty simple process I might add. The problem is the power to approve and deny these waivers lies in the hand of WMBD. Guess what's happening? You got it - WMBD is denying our waivers.

So we've moved beyond the coincidence of the WYZZ / WMBD relationship.. Can we swallow the irony behind the fact that us in HDTV-land are too insignificant to justify an HDTV feed, yet when we make an attempt to get the National feed we're suddenly so significant that they refuse to let us go? Unfortunately for WMBD - their attempt is slowly but surely backfiring. I can only hope that this letter reaches your mass audience so they, like the rest of us, can see how little one misses WMBD's and WYZZ's Primetime Standard Definition (SDTV) from the channel lineup.

As for FOX, for those of us in the correct location WRSP Fox 55 is only a slightly stronger antenna away. That's right - you can forget WYZZ Fox 43 forever and start getting your FOX programs (MLB Baseball, NFL Football, and more) in High Definition TODAY!

I commend WEEK for their already wonderful HDTV lineup, and also commend WHOI for placing priority on addressing the technical situation / responding to our emails. Whether they realize it or not, their emails (or lack there of in WMBD's case) are traveling to a much larger audience via the Internet.

Thank You for publishing the article above in the Peoria Journal Star - your attention to the issue can only help those that still view WMBD out in the long run. Unfortunately for me, Channel 31 (or 30.1 for DTV users) can't be found in my channel listing.

Sincerely,
post #42 of 2205 Old 10-07-2004, 05:44 PM

Great letter! I hope they run the letter.
post #43 of 2205 Old 10-07-2004, 06:04 PM

I also sent it to the WMBD General Manager - he might read it and respond simply because I've paid for and run commercials in the past on WMBD (emphasis on past), but I wouldn't hold your breath.

We're working on a commercial for this Holiday season - being such an advocate for technology (and specializing in video production) I'm hoping to even air an HDTV version a few times depending on the figures I get from WEEK and WHOI.

We'll see....
post #44 of 2205 Old 10-07-2004, 06:23 PM

I wish the law would separate HD from SD, so that we didn't need a waiver to get CBS HD, since we cannot get it locally. To me if congress is really trying to push HD technology that would go a long ways to helping.
post #45 of 2205 Old 10-07-2004, 08:18 PM

Yeah no kidding.
post #46 of 2205 Old 10-12-2004, 06:03 AM - Thread Starter

Hey anyone notice that WYZZ DT was completely down last night. Normally, I get a signal of at least 85-95 from them, but last night it fell down to completely 0. I'd like to hope they are maybe working on the switch over to HD, but that's probably too much to ask for.
post #47 of 2205 Old 10-12-2004, 01:10 PM

Yes, I saw that both 43-1 was off the air and 17-1 was off the air for awhile also.
post #48 of 2205 Old 10-12-2004, 02:05 PM
EAW

Someone once pointed me to this site: Tropo ducting map

Lots of weird OTA happenings are explained there. The other day I was getting 20-1 from Decatur with a 54 on the signal meter. 99% of the time it's at 9. WRSP which is usually around 54-58 was at 100 that same day. I checked that map site and we were in a light green area that day.

In fact, Monday we were in a light green (good) area also.
post #49 of 2205 Old 10-13-2004, 07:55 AM

I'm so glad I found this site. It's nice to finally feel like I have a voice. I can't tell you how many times 60 days away has come and gone. Keep up the good work, and maybe, just maybe HD in Peoria won't just be for people who like a challenge.
post #50 of 2205 Old 10-13-2004, 09:52 AM - Thread Starter

2nd night that WYZZ was down. Now this is costing me Yankees game. SD, ED, HD...whatever...just give me the freaking games.
post #51 of 2205 Old 10-13-2004, 11:49 AM
EAW

Look on the bright side, maybe they are moving the tower next to the others so we call all point in the same direction and maybe they are also upgrading to HD capable and maybe the new tower will be taller than 300ft.

....and maybe wild monkeys are going to fly out of my butt.
post #52 of 2205 Old 10-13-2004, 12:21 PM - Thread Starter

Well, I'm speechless, here's the response from the station manager
---------------------------------------

We are temporarily down as we are putting in a new digital HD transmitter.
We are on the analog transmitter, though.

Kevin L. Harlan
WMBD-TV / WYZZ-TV
Peoria, IL
(309) 686-9400

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-kevinh@mail.wmbd.com [mailtowner-kevinh@mail.wmbd.com] On
Behalf Of Curtis Nohl
Sent: Wednesday, October 13, 2004 11:56 AM
To: kevinh@wmbd.com
Subject: WYZZ DT down?

What's the deal with WYZZ-DT? All of a sudden the signal strength has
dropped completely to 0 over the last two nights. Everyone in the area is
experiencing it as well.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php
s=&threadid=412347&pagenumber=3

I'm missing the ALCS and NLCS, do you have any idea when the station will
be back up? Thanks.

Curtis Nohl
post #53 of 2205 Old 10-13-2004, 02:29 PM

Wow, thanks for the update HeavyC. I wonder if the 60 day count down now starts for real.
post #54 of 2205 Old 10-13-2004, 04:19 PM

WYZZ-DT will be off the air while we install a new transmitter and antenna. The antenna is already installed, but we had to gut the transmitter building to install new digital and analog transmitters. The analog is operating from a temporary transmitter is a temporary building, but there was no practical way to keep the low power digital on the air. We hope to have the project completed by December. At that time we'll be at high power with true HD pass through from Fox. Thanks for your understanding.
Jim
SBG Regional Manager

Jim Wright
Regional Engineering Manager
Sinclair Broadcast Group
post #55 of 2205 Old 10-13-2004, 04:27 PM

Thanks very much for the update WRacer. That'll be great!
post #56 of 2205 Old 10-13-2004, 05:41 PM - Thread Starter

Well I guess that's good news, but I'll have to try and pull in the analog so I can see my Bears games.
post #57 of 2205 Old 10-13-2004, 07:49 PM
EAW

Thanks for the update.
post #58 of 2205 Old 10-13-2004, 07:56 PM
Advanced Member

What about WMBD??? If this guy is the general manager for both stations is WMBD coming into the digital age soon???

T

username should now be "ThumperYZ69"
post #59 of 2205 Old 10-14-2004, 05:39 AM
EAW

Same management, different ownership. Nexstar will not be going HD.
post #60 of 2205 Old 10-14-2004, 06:23 AM - Thread Starter

WMBD would be too much to ask for. It's my least watched channel by far anyway. I'm just happy HD Fox is coming; however, I'm going to have to get analog working in the meantime.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page