Peoria, IL - HDTV - Page 25 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #721 of 2164 Old 04-28-2006, 02:55 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

How can this be?

Why would a station this low on power go lower?

There must be more to the story.

ABC can't allow this.

Flyingfan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 2164 Old 04-28-2006, 07:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Gilbert mentioned WAOE (UPN 59/39) not WHOI (ABC 19/40). But the goal of WAOE has always seemed to be just strong and directional enough to get to Dries Lane where they can be picked up by Insight cable. They have no desire to serve the over the air market at all.

For a few days, they showed up on the WEEK subchannel (which is now national, but not local, weather) and I sent an email to a familiar name there congratulating them on their smart move but was dissappointed to find that it was temporary while they moved their studios.

Sturgeon's Law: "Nothing is always absolutely so."
Sturgeons Revelation: "Ninety percent of everything is crud."
My Thoughts: "A reasoned argument must share some basic common points."
post #723 of 2164 Old 04-28-2006, 08:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaphod7501 View Post

Gilbert mentioned WAOE (UPN 59/39) not WHOI (ABC 19/40). But the goal of WAOE has always seemed to be just strong and directional enough to get to Dries Lane where they can be picked up by Insight cable. They have no desire to serve the over the air market at all.

For a few days, they showed up on the WEEK subchannel (which is now national, but not local, weather) and I sent an email to a familiar name there congratulating them on their smart move but was dissappointed to find that it was temporary while they moved their studios.

Believe it or not, at 39 kw, though, their signal will get out pretty far. We had independent WCIU-DT channel 27 in Chicago at 15.1 kw go out 60 miles. I have WQRF-DT Rockford (FOX) at 2.3 kw on channel 42 going out 40 miles. With a good outdoor antenna, 50 miles plus for WAOE-DT at 39 kw should be fine. The reason why you should scream is that TV's with indoor antennas are screwed unless they are close to the transmitter, or in the city of Peoria. So basically, they want the Peoria and very nearby suburb OTA and cable market. Which comprises almost all of the audience they want at minimal cost. From that vantage point, it makes great sense. If you really want them in Bloomington, you'll need a ChannelMaster
4228 antenna with a 7777 preamp on it, but you'll get them.

As for WHOI...a friend of mine on a 30' tower with a large Winegard combo antenna
can get WHOI most of the time from Waterman, IL in southern DeKalb county
(30 miles northeast of Ottawa, which is in LaSalle county). I've vented before on the issue, but with the FCC rules in place, you gotta go 2 sizes larger on the antenna needed to get the range the FCC says these stations have (at least via Antennaweb, anyway).

Gilbert
post #724 of 2164 Old 04-28-2006, 05:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Does anyone know if WAOE (UPN 59) is going with the new CW network?

post #725 of 2164 Old 04-28-2006, 08:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Does anyone know if WAOE (UPN 59) is going with the new CW network?

WAOE will become My NetworkTV. WHOI-DT 40.2 will become the CW. I don't think anything is on 40.2 right now...

Gilbert
post #726 of 2164 Old 04-28-2006, 09:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the info. That could explain some of the low power desires.

Does that mean there won't be any HD from the CW? I didn't think you could simulcast two HD subchannels.

I just checked and 40.2 does not seem to be here yet.

post #727 of 2164 Old 04-29-2006, 09:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks for the info. That could explain some of the low power desires.

Does that mean there won't be any HD from the CW? I didn't think you could simulcast two HD subchannels.

I just checked and 40.2 does not seem to be here yet.

Likely not, BUT...in Milwaukee, the UPN affiliate is HD. But they have
a subchannel where they showed a Bucks game in HD. If you do
the setup right, you can have HD on any channel that you broadcast out,
so it is possible. Will they invest in that equipment and manpower to do
that? Even without knowing, you can probably come up with a reasonable
answer to that question...

That probably does explain the low power desires. It will likely never have the ratings/revenue of the "big 4". And if, at 39 kw, it gets all of the audience they want, why go higher? Better than the other network for the Quad Cities...My Network TV gets shoved on a low power analog there that barely reaches all 4 cities when all is said and done.

BTW, since Peoria is between Quad Cities, Springfield-Champaign-Decatur, Quincy/Hannibal and Chicago, it's relegated to having few channels on UHF at the massive 1 megawatt we all want. WMBD chose well and they will be the signal
powerhouse starting in July...2 months away! NBC didn't do bad at all, and you can get them up into Lee county. WMBD will likely be the same.

On a fun note...my friend in southern DeKalb county gets WHOI when he points
his antenna southwest...and then locks PSIP on the Milwaukee PAX affiliate on the same frequency when he points it northeast. That's a proper antenna setup.

Gilbert
post #728 of 2164 Old 04-29-2006, 12:18 PM

Gilbert,

Where did you get your WMBD info?
post #729 of 2164 Old 04-29-2006, 02:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stick30 View Post

Gilbert,

Where did you get your WMBD info?

Hello Stick,

The FCC web site.

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/video/tvq.html

Punch in WMBD into the call letters box, and then click on "Application List" on any of those entries, and up will come all their public filings.

I stand corrected, though, because they have a construction permit to go to 800 kw, not 1 mw. I forgot that on March 14 they filed an application which said they wanted 800 kw instead, and in my opinion, that is more than enough power. They made a minor addendum to it on April 25. As for the full power on July 1, that is required by the FCC,
and others on here have been told by WMBD that they'll be up at full power in July.
Makes sense to me...

Gilbert
post #730 of 2164 Old 04-30-2006, 11:03 AM

Gilbert.

Thx.
post #731 of 2164 Old 05-01-2006, 06:00 PM

WYZZ - DT OTA . . . Out at 7:00 Monday Night

. . . Bud
post #732 of 2164 Old 05-01-2006, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsandy View Post

WYZZ - DT OTA . . . Out at 7:00 Monday Night

. . . Bud

Same here!

Hitachi 57S715
Zenith DVB318
Onkyo HTS-670S
post #733 of 2164 Old 05-02-2006, 09:03 AM

I just sent another message to Jim.

Chime in everybody, please.

. . . Bud
post #734 of 2164 Old 05-04-2006, 07:46 AM

I'm honestly not sure if I should be posting this here, or in a different section. Sorry if I'm getting this wrong

I'm in Morton now, and getting really lousy NTSC/Analog reception with my Terk TV55 antenna indoors. UPN/59 and Fox/43 tend to be especially bad. I'm just wondering if anyone can recommend an indoor antenna that actually works, and if it can be purchased locally. Right now I'm analog/NTSC only, but possibly by this fall when Tivo's Series 3 comes out I'd be switching to ATSC, so I'd want it to work well for both.

Right now the Terk HDTVLP / Winegard Sharpshooter SS-3000 sounds kind of promising, but I'm not sure if it works well for NTSC, or only ATSC. Plus Best Buy and Circuit City don't carry it locally (I'd prefer to be able to return it if it doesn't help!)

Anyway, just trying to avoid having to get cable. Anyone have any suggestions?

Also, has anyone else noticed problems with Week's analog signal recently? I've had trouble with it the last few weeks, where it'll come in fine, and then cut out or distort-I'm pretty sure it's not any of my TVs or antennas, but actually something on their end.
post #735 of 2164 Old 05-04-2006, 02:03 PM

I have a question... Does anyone know when will the WEEK Weather Plus channel will be localized for the Peoria area?
post #736 of 2164 Old 05-04-2006, 07:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Wolfpup, 59 is very weak; 43 is in Goodfield (distance and direction problems). Traditionally, the best indoor antenna was the double bow-tie, currently available from Radio Shack as a 15-624 since Channel Master and Weingard seem to have dropped them from their lineups. There are no magic ATSC antennas just good UHF antennas.

With stations upping their power (in July?) you might not need much for local digital reception but with an outdoor antenna with a rotor, you might be able to pick up more interesting programming (like PBS WILL in Champaign; and Decatur, Springfield, and Quad City stations)

Leno is the only show on NBC that I watch and I can do that in HD so I can't say much other than this is the time of year that reception problems abound as trees develop their leaf patterns. UHF is line of sight and as time goes on reception always gets worse. Trees get taller, buildings go up, transmitter gets older and so forth.

Bearz 34; no idea, you could contact the station. They have a weekly "Ask the Manager" segment on the news that might be able to answer that.

post #737 of 2164 Old 05-05-2006, 06:42 AM

Thanks so much zaphod7501! I tried moving my antenna around the room a bunch last night, and got everything working okay again. I may go hunt down that antenna this weekend to see how it does.

The really bizare thing is I'll have everything coming in fine, then over the course of a few weeks I'll start dropping reception on one or more channels, then eventually I'll need to completly move my anntenna. I've had it leaning against a wall, on top of my TV, on top of a bookcase, against the wall again, and now on top of the TV again. It's like the best spot in the room to stick it keeps moving. Right now it's working fine, but I bet three weeks from now I'll lose reception and have to move it AGAIN.

Totally weird. I'd love to know the physics behind what the heck is happening. Hopefully I won't have these problems if/when I switch to ATSC on a Series 3 Tivo later this year. (Only thing I'm worried about with that is that I might not have much storage space.)
post #738 of 2164 Old 05-05-2006, 09:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfpup View Post

Thanks so much zaphod7501! I tried moving my antenna around the room a bunch last night, and got everything working okay again. I may go hunt down that antenna this weekend to see how it does.

The really bizare thing is I'll have everything coming in fine, then over the course of a few weeks I'll start dropping reception on one or more channels, then eventually I'll need to completly move my anntenna. I've had it leaning against a wall, on top of my TV, on top of a bookcase, against the wall again, and now on top of the TV again. It's like the best spot in the room to stick it keeps moving. Right now it's working fine, but I bet three weeks from now I'll lose reception and have to move it AGAIN.

Totally weird. I'd love to know the physics behind what the heck is happening. Hopefully I won't have these problems if/when I switch to ATSC on a Series 3 Tivo later this year. (Only thing I'm worried about with that is that I might not have much storage space.)

Wolfpup...How about a more permanent installation???

You should have more consistent results mounting out on the roof or at least in the attic. About 18 months ago I shed my little powered antenna on top of my RPTV and put a 4221 antenna in my attic and thanks to some tips on the AVSforum I just mounted it in a X-mas tree stand. This was great for easy moving around of the antenna to get the best signal. I also used a CM preamp and have had rock solid reception since.

T

username should now be "ThumperYZ69"
post #739 of 2164 Old 05-08-2006, 08:07 AM

I'm just not comfortable drilling holes in my house Heck, I'm kind of ticked off about Insight attaching a big box to my house when I added a cable modem last year
post #740 of 2164 Old 05-08-2006, 03:44 PM
Advanced Member

I drilled *no* holes besides the ones coming up from the crawlspace into the living area. How bad do you want a stable setup???

T

username should now be "ThumperYZ69"
post #741 of 2164 Old 05-08-2006, 04:14 PM

Unfortunatly I don't think there are any existing holes-I'd have to run a cable down the attic stairs and across two rooms to my main TV.
post #742 of 2164 Old 05-08-2006, 06:02 PM

Woo Hoo . . . WYZZ-DT OTA on Monday Night ! ! !
post #743 of 2164 Old 05-13-2006, 06:08 AM

I read the other day that WAOE-39 is going to become a sub channel of WHOI-40 in September. Anyone else know anything about this? Also, Titan TV had been listing some shows on WAOE-39 in HD. Has anyone caught any shows in HD yet on 39? The Cardinal games will be coming in HD soon, maybe on 39 if they go HD.

flyingfan
post #744 of 2164 Old 05-13-2006, 11:06 AM
AVS Special Member

I think what I heard was that WAOE 39/59 is going to become a "MyNetworkTV" affiliate (they were not selected to be part of the CW family). A new CW affiliate will be present on the WHOI subchannel.

If WAOE goes HD it will probably only be viewable on Insight cable since they are carrying the HD feeds of all the locals that are in HD. WAOE is 39KW and only pure luck will bring it in reliably.

post #745 of 2164 Old 05-15-2006, 08:35 AM

So channel 39 dosen't come in well? I'm still debating whether to buy a Series 3 Tivo this fall, or a Series 2 DT and subscribe to basic cable... (HD isn't a consideration for me at all)
post #746 of 2164 Old 05-15-2006, 10:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfpup View Post

So channel 39 dosen't come in well?

I've never been able to receive the digital feed (39) but some people get it OK. At 39Kw anything can block it. Did you catch the rather ironic thread about MyNetwork TV, that it will be all HD? http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=678002

post #747 of 2164 Old 05-16-2006, 05:00 AM

Woohoo! I can also confirm that I was getting WYZZ-DT OTA last night.

Hitachi 57S715
Zenith DVB318
Onkyo HTS-670S
post #748 of 2164 Old 05-16-2006, 05:58 AM

Same here, WYZZ-OTA worked on Monday night!!! Thanks all.
post #749 of 2164 Old 05-16-2006, 05:21 PM

I'm not getting WTZZ OTA on Tuesday, is anyone else?
post #750 of 2164 Old 05-17-2006, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAR61704 View Post

I'm not getting WTZZ OTA on Tuesday, is anyone else?

WYZZ - DT Seems to be having problems with the part that tells our tuners to look for it on 43-1. Try looking for WYZZ on 28-3, letting your tuner do a new scan.

. . . Bud
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page