Peoria, IL - HDTV - Page 69 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #2041 of 2170 Old 11-27-2011, 11:23 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My parents were here for Thanksgiving and could not believe how bad the picture was on WMBD during the LSU-Arkansas football game. They had me change the channel as it was so bad to them. All football games and any fast moving scene on WMBD has an atrocious amount of macro-blocking, but I put up with it as I like the shows. For my parents to say it is unwatchable is pretty bad. I hope WMBD fixes it, but I am not holding my breath, but man, was that embarrassing to see the bad picture. I was just glad the sound issue didn't appear while we watched.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2042 of 2170 Old 11-27-2011, 11:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jokinjer1 View Post

It's such a sad state of affairs that all 3 major news networks in the Quad Cities are now showing their local newscasts in HD but there are no immediate plans for either one of Peoria's 1 & a half major news networks to show their newscasts in HD. (I consider WEEK a half station since the majority of their jobs are operated by remote control from Granite's central Hub in Ft Wayne) And it's sickening how WEEK touts their "Digital Widescreen". They made minor upgrades tied to upgrades made at their central hub that allows for this. Also, their ability to pass syndicated programming in HD is a result of upgrades only made at their hub which allows all of their associated stations the same capability. Talk about a shortcut. But rest assured that there will probably be few further upgrades at the WEEK/WHOI facility on Springfiled Road. Instead, expect for WEEK to complete their transformation into a shell over the next few years.

The Peoria area is being ruined by a Granite-Nextar stronghold while the Springfield & Quad Cities Markets still have strong competition. The only good thing I can say is at least it looks like Nexstar is at least committed to keeping local news in our area, for now anyway.

Here's the deal: to convert older facilities costs bookoo bucks, over a million dollars. And let's just say that, right now, the Peoria economy just isn't supporting it, until they get all the available life out of the equipment they have now. In the Rockford market, 2 of the 4 stations are still standard def with their news: ABC and FOX. The CBS affiliate got an equipment grant for some reason to upgrade their stuff several years ago. The NBC affiliate
just went HD earlier this year. Up until that point, CBS was the only one in HD.

As it is, many syndie programs are still SD. So you got us beat. Thankfully, I can also pick up Chicago stations just fine, so I can see everything in HD. But for those not as fortunate, a lot is still in SD. And will take significant amounts of both time and money before we're all HD up here.

Gilbert
post #2043 of 2170 Old 11-28-2011, 07:59 AM

Although like most of you, I don't like the idea of "hubbing" out local TV stations. I do understand due to the cost of running a station along with the current economy. If the Peoria stations were not hubbed out, they most likely would not be offering syndicated programming in HD or allow for weather or school closings in HD which would mean dropping out of network HD programming to SD to allow for the information to air. For cost each station to do this would be about 1 million per station. In a hub, you could do this for about 1.5 million for all of the stations that are in that hub. (Fort Wayne for example, has 7 HD signals coming out of it) So that is a huge savings!

You also need to realize that many years ago, when cable TV first came out, there were no local commercials being broadcasted. Now that the cable systems also air national AND local commercials, the local TV stations now have to compete with them for a piece of the limited sized pie. By hubbing and doing the SSA agreements, this allows the local stations to compete with the lower commercial prices that cable uses.

I think we all need to be thankful for at least having syndicated programming in HD in this market. Many larger markets still do not have that ability. Now I am hoping that the stations will upgrade their local news to HD in the near future, but that also is a huge expense to do. Just remember that the TV stations do not make the kind of money that they did 10 years ago.

Hopefully this helps with the reasons as to why this is all happening. Hubbing has been happening around this country for many years now, even in larger markets. Radio did this over 10 years ago to survive.

Hoping everyone has a Merry Christmas!!!!
post #2044 of 2170 Old 11-30-2011, 09:31 AM

Though the city of Rockford itself is significantly larger than Peoria, I must point out that the Peoria Metro and Peoria tv market is still the larger of the 2. It's amazing how Rockford was able to hang on to to 3+ news stations but Peoria could not.

So Peoria can only support 2 stations? - something that the Quincy market, which is about a 10th our size, seems to be doing pretty well. And at least neither WGEM nor KHQA have rumors circulating about one hubbing out their newscast altogether.

Hubbing to gain HD syndication advantage is one thing, but tossing a newscast altogether is very like another. WMBD still doesn't pass syndicated shows in HD, but they were first to offer Watches, Warnings, School Closings and other types of crawl in HD, and that wasn't a result of hubbing.

I do understand that cable has hurt them, and I think it's a travesty that people have to pay for paid programming. I also believe that cable shouldn't be allowed to make extra $$$ by flooding themselves with advertisements, they're expensive enough and all they will only continue to raise their subscription rates. In 1984, legislature was passed that called for cable regulation once it penetrated 70% of the market. Cable has the burden of proof to to keep proving they don't quite have that percentage every so often. I'd love to know what bogus proof they're coming up with to keep satisfying the FCC. Perhaps cable should be FORCED to run lines to the rest of the area, they should have enough $$$ by now to afford such a thing.

In the meantime, we have DirecTV, which only has one competitor, which is one short of perfect competition. And quite frankly, if I lived on my own, I'd just rely on Blu-Ray & OTA, I wouldn't support cable/sat for nothing. Sure, it's nice, but as unfair as things are set up, this country may see the demise of one of it's best assets in our lifetime - free Television.
post #2045 of 2170 Old 11-30-2011, 10:17 AM

And furthermore,

For as much money as Granite is making by hubbing out all the tech jobs & even the newscasts wherever they can, you'd think they'd be able to invest in a better weather graphics system for WEEK than the Accu WX Cinema Live HD, which is hated by almost every meteorologist in the business. For years, Accu WX has put out an inferior product when compared to the excellence of WSI & WXC which are very common offerings for markets this size. For crying out loud, you even see Baron(Vipir) in certain markets this size or even smaller.

And to add insult to injury, WEEK's build doesn't even offer all the extras Accu Weather can provide. One has to be hard-pressed to find a #1 station in a mid-market that doesn't have street-level mapping! WMBD has WXC's 3D Live HD model with ALL the extras, including street-level mapping which I find extremely helpful. Also, 25-2 is totally unwatchable on weekends because they don't even bother to update it. 17-2 in Decatur & 6-2 in Davenport both shine.

When NBC pushed stereo sound, WEEK had remained the only NBC affiliate, to my knowledge, to stay monaural past Y2K, even WGEM in Quincy jumped on the ball rather quickly.

Peoria stations do seem to not be taken very seriously. Look at Facebook and see how many likes they get compared to the Quad Cities & Springfield stations. Tranquil weather patterns in the area are probably to blame for our stations not being leveraged as much by viewers as in surrounding markets, but for some of it. Stations always seem to shine during a good storm. But I imagine a big reason for the Peoria stations getting shunned is due to their performance issues.

I clearly prefer the WMBD/WYZZ duopoly news operation, though the WEEK/WHOI/WAOE triopoloy has it's strengths too. Either way, they'll have to do for the time being.
post #2046 of 2170 Old 12-02-2011, 09:49 PM

Actually, I just read some big news about WHBF, as of this fall, not only do they become the last station in the QC to broadcast 24/7, but they also tripled their daily news time, including the addition of a 90-minute morning newscast which they haven't had in years, as well as re-adding their 6PM newscast after a 14-year absence. Now, it is already known that all 3 QC TV news operations are broadcasting all local news in HD as well as all available syndicated programming in HD. That said, their expansion probably shouldn't be a surprise given their huge investments.

I'm sure they've decided to start moving while CBS is #1. And also, they, along with WQAD, appear to be carving viewership from giant KWQC, which has went slightly downhill over the last 2 years, but NOTHING like we've been seeing here in the Peoria area.

KWQC is owned by Young Broadcasting, which like Granite, had to file bankruptcy. Yet they're not cutting KWQC to the bone like Granite's doing to WEEK. And according to WHBF, they're growing. WHOI was also growing, yet they claimed they gave up. Nevertheless, things were undoubtedly tight at WHOI, but I really doubt that the train wreck that is happening at WEEK is necessary, at least not at this point in time. If a third-rated station like WHBF can make major investments, stick it's neck out & thrive, than I'm sure WEEK can too. Also, if KWQC can still make the same investments and still be fairly decent, I'd think WEEK could perform similarly. Granite & Silver Point Meda can't fool this viewer.
post #2047 of 2170 Old 12-03-2011, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spd476 View Post

Does anybody else watch Fox Sports Midwest-HD through Comcast? I've been having these constant but brief audio dropouts for about a month now. It's really annoying when trying to watch hockey. It only happens on this channel, so I don't think it's a Comcast issue. I've emailed Fox Sports Midwest, but have got no response. Is anybody else having this problem?

I am also experiencing the breakup problems on Comcast FSM HD. Chatted with Comcast support last night but their resets to my cable box didn't fix problem. I have another HD TV with a cable card and it shows the same problem.
post #2048 of 2170 Old 12-03-2011, 12:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Jer,

This is not about size of a population within the DMA. Yes, that is a significant factor, of course. This is about economics in your market. Are local businesses thriving? Before you say "Caterpillar", I remind you that they don't have to run local TV spots, because their products are well-known. And outside of them, advertising revenue is split between all the TV statiions, Comcast, radio and online media. That doesn't leave much for WEEK...nor anyone else.

The QC does have it better. Incomes are higher, you have multiple, sizable cities. As for Rockford, one engineer told me that in 20 years, they will probably just be full-power repeaters of Madison stations. I certainly hope not! But that's the reality every broadcaster faces these days...a declining slice of an ever-shrinking pie. Everyone is in survival mode. Everyone. If a station goes HD, it is becoming more likely that it is only because the equipment is about to totally break down.

I wish it weren't so. I wish you had 4 stations doing news, all in HD, with satellite trucks. Heck, even the big boys in my home market (Chicago, but Rockford comes in better 60 miles west of Chicago) are struggling. WGN only has one live truck now...they cannot afford another. WLS-TV 7.1, the mega ABC affiliate, has dozens of live trucks. But they now only have TWO full time camera operators. They've cut to the bone. CBS is trying to sell their studios in Chi-town, after building it out. They can't afford the rent.

So even in market #3, the grass isn't greener, Jer. There just isn't enough money to go around. I just hope that in 10 years, there IS broadcast TV. At this point, I'd be happy, given your market size, with what you have. Up in Rockford, the NBC affiliate has one live truck, and its mast jammed yesterday. The other stations have three...but one station is SD, and the picture is like a YouTube 360p video. And everyone knows they are blessed just to have a job.

Just FYI...

Gilbert
post #2049 of 2170 Old 12-03-2011, 03:16 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
WLS isn't just an ABC affiliate, either. They're O&O, they're owned by Disney, for Pete's sake, and even they have it rough. Is it any wonder that most subchannel programs are really cheap, throw-an-ad-up-and-you're-already-getting-your-investment-back type programs?

Besides, sure, it was 2 years ago, but the digital transition, with all the accompanying equipment changes, didn't really help much. A new multi-100k watt transistor isn't exactly cheap.

Now with 100% more Amateur Extra Class privileges!
post #2050 of 2170 Old 12-04-2011, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebenste View Post

Jer,

This is not about size of a population within the DMA. Yes, that is a significant factor, of course. This is about economics in your market. Are local businesses thriving? Before you say "Caterpillar", I remind you that they don't have to run local TV spots, because their products are well-known. And outside of them, advertising revenue is split between all the TV statiions, Comcast, radio and online media. That doesn't leave much for WEEK...nor anyone else.

The QC does have it better. Incomes are higher, you have multiple, sizable cities. As for Rockford, one engineer told me that in 20 years, they will probably just be full-power repeaters of Madison stations. I certainly hope not! But that's the reality every broadcaster faces these days...a declining slice of an ever-shrinking pie. Everyone is in survival mode. Everyone. If a station goes HD, it is becoming more likely that it is only because the equipment is about to totally break down.

I wish it weren't so. I wish you had 4 stations doing news, all in HD, with satellite trucks. Heck, even the big boys in my home market (Chicago, but Rockford comes in better 60 miles west of Chicago) are struggling. WGN only has one live truck now...they cannot afford another. WLS-TV 7.1, the mega ABC affiliate, has dozens of live trucks. But they now only have TWO full time camera operators. They've cut to the bone. CBS is trying to sell their studios in Chi-town, after building it out. They can't afford the rent.

So even in market #3, the grass isn't greener, Jer. There just isn't enough money to go around. I just hope that in 10 years, there IS broadcast TV. At this point, I'd be happy, given your market size, with what you have. Up in Rockford, the NBC affiliate has one live truck, and its mast jammed yesterday. The other stations have three...but one station is SD, and the picture is like a YouTube 360p video. And everyone knows they are blessed just to have a job.

Just FYI...

Thanks for the info, though I had thought about our businesses not being as well, I didn't think it was bad enough for the stations here to go into survival mode just yet. According to the news, our wages recently increased at a higher rate than any other place in the state. Also, we now have big R in Pekin and E. Peoria gained Bass Pro and several business are soon to follow.

Still, I think that WMBD, though they were second-place for a long time, must have a much more aggressive sales department than WEEK, because they're not even talking about hubbing out jobs. But than again, Nexstar is one of the few station owners that has been doing fairly well in recent years.

I was surprised to read about 2 of their 8 stations with HD newscasts:

One of their stations in the UP of Michigan has just been upgraded to show an HD newscast. I'm sure that expense is being handled by Nexstar rather than local advertisers. In an area that small, it's a wonder they even messed with it in this day & age.

Also, the Nexstar-owned Fox-turned-independent station in Ft. Wayne recently debuted a 10PM 1-hour newscast, and it is Ft. Wayne's 1st in HD. But since they only had a newscast for one year, and year being in 1980, I'm sure they no longer had any equipment laying around thus having to buy all new. But again, I'm still surprised that Nexstar even went through that expense. The market already has 2 duplicate newscasts from a Granite-owned station and another newscast from a LIN-owned station.

There's no doubt that Silver Point Capitol is putting the extra pressure on WEEK, and as with everything else, the salaries of senior officials continues to rise regardless of their performance. It may not have a huge impact, but it does have to contribute at least partially to the monetary squeeze.

I hope the Rockford stations don't turn into Madison repeaters. I'm sort of an advocate for saving local area newscasts because I'm not aware of any better way to make a news source than that which is delivered free over the air. Get rid of the network stations and more people will be ignorant and politicians will run amok. Internet news & cable news networks don't have independent news bureaus stationed per every 90-mile radius & news papers are already out of date by the time they're delivered.

There is one exceptionally-strong station in our market that I want to point out, and that's WTVP. Their management team is very clever and they've come up with several ways to survive. Though they've had to cut here & there, they still remain one of the better PBS stations in mid-market USA. The QC PBS station, though okay, isn't near as organized & apparently not as established as WTVP. (probably due to having a much later start) And when it came to HD conversion, WTVP beat WILL by several years, which still amazes me the way WILL throws $$$ around. WILL is probably the only stronger PBS station in Illinois.
post #2051 of 2170 Old 12-04-2011, 11:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks for the info, though I had thought about our businesses not being as well, I didn't think it was bad enough for the stations here to go into survival mode just yet. According to the news, our wages recently increased at a higher rate than any other place in the state. Also, we now have big R in Pekin and E. Peoria gained Bass Pro and several business are soon to follow.

Still, I think that WMBD, though they were second-place for a long time, must have a much more aggressive sales department than WEEK, because they're not even talking about hubbing out jobs. But than again, Nexstar is one of the few station owners that has been doing fairly well in recent years.

I was surprised to read about 2 of their 8 stations with HD newscasts:

One of their stations in the UP of Michigan has just been upgraded to show an HD newscast. I'm sure that expense is being handled by Nexstar rather than local advertisers. In an area that small, it's a wonder they even messed with it in this day & age.

Also, the Nexstar-owned Fox-turned-independent station in Ft. Wayne recently debuted a 10PM 1-hour newscast, and it is Ft. Wayne's 1st in HD. But since they only had a newscast for one year, and year being in 1980, I'm sure they no longer had any equipment laying around thus having to buy all new. But again, I'm still surprised that Nexstar even went through that expense. The market already has 2 duplicate newscasts from a Granite-owned station and another newscast from a LIN-owned station.

There's no doubt that Silver Point Capitol is putting the extra pressure on WEEK, and as with everything else, the salaries of senior officials continues to rise regardless of their performance. It may not have a huge impact, but it does have to contribute at least partially to the monetary squeeze.

I hope the Rockford stations don't turn into Madison repeaters. I'm sort of an advocate for saving local area newscasts because I'm not aware of any better way to make a news source than that which is delivered free over the air. Get rid of the network stations and more people will be ignorant and politicians will run amok. Internet news & cable news networks don't have independent news bureaus stationed per every 90-mile radius & news papers are already out of date by the time they're delivered.

There is one exceptionally-strong station in our market that I want to point out, and that's WTVP. Their management team is very clever and they've come up with several ways to survive. Though they've had to cut here & there, they still remain one of the better PBS stations in mid-market USA. The QC PBS station, though okay, isn't near as organized & apparently not as established as WTVP. (probably due to having a much later start) And when it came to HD conversion, WTVP beat WILL by several years, which still amazes me the way WILL throws $$$ around. WILL is probably the only stronger PBS station in Illinois.

But, like I said, quipment does fail. At some point, they have two choices: buy all new, or stop doing news altogether. FOX and ABC in Rockford do news together. There was talk of ABC dropping it altogether...and it still remains a possibility.

The college with which the QC PBS station was with had to sell it. Now it's an indie PBS, and it's struggling. It can barely afford to stay on the air. It doesn't help that there's two Iowa PBS stations that come in quite clearly in the QC, o the point of a translator in the Quad Cities.

WTVP was this/close to going bankrupt, and they are barely hanging on. Rockford market has no PBS...it's fibered in from Chicago or Madison. It was licensed to DeKalb, a city I'm in, 30 miles southeast of Rockford, but NIU, who had the license, could not afford to put one on the air. So again, you are doing better than Rockford.

So there is some money available from corporate level, yes. But soon, decisions will have to be made about local news. Upgrade to HD...or shut it down? For you guys, I hope it's the former. I totally agree with the lack of accountability with no news reporting from local entities.

Gilbert
post #2052 of 2170 Old 12-15-2011, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilbert12 View Post

My parents were here for Thanksgiving and could not believe how bad the picture was on WMBD during the LSU-Arkansas football game. They had me change the channel as it was so bad to them. All football games and any fast moving scene on WMBD has an atrocious amount of macro-blocking, but I put up with it as I like the shows. For my parents to say it is unwatchable is pretty bad. I hope WMBD fixes it, but I am not holding my breath, but man, was that embarrassing to see the bad picture. I was just glad the sound issue didn't appear while we watched.

I was watching the NFL games this past Sunday and they also looked awful at times. I wasn't sure if it was a CBS or WMBD problem. Has WMBD added a subchannel recently? I don't remember the channel looking that bad before.
post #2053 of 2170 Old 12-16-2011, 03:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by spd476 View Post

Has WMBD added a subchannel recently? I don't remember the channel looking that bad before.

Yep, added Bounce TV a few months ago:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...6#post20988766
post #2054 of 2170 Old 12-17-2011, 10:08 AM

It has to be WMBD, all others around the US talk about how good CBS looks. Football on WMBD used to look wonderful, now it is a joke. They are pathetic.
post #2055 of 2170 Old 02-01-2012, 06:14 AM

Liked: 11
I lost 43.1 (Fox-HD) on Comcast last night... my Windows 7 Media center tried to fall back to the analog channel, which is blank now due to the digital conversion. I also tried it on my TV's QAM tuner. Did anyone else lose it? I think 43.2 went away as well, but I don't watch that channel. All of the rest of my channels still come in fine.
post #2056 of 2170 Old 02-02-2012, 05:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I think there has been a frequency shuffle. Time to rescan.
Channels are probably still there but in a different location.

I have not found WYZZ HD yet after a scan but I have a lot to search since the tuner involved saves all the scrambled stations. I have found WYZZ SD on a physical 126 subchannel.

It could be a retransmission/carriage issue. $$$$

Sturgeon's Law: "Nothing is always absolutely so."
Sturgeons Revelation: "Ninety percent of everything is crud."
My Thoughts: "A reasoned argument must share some basic common points."
post #2057 of 2170 Old 02-02-2012, 05:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stettin View Post

I lost 43.1 (Fox-HD) on Comcast last night... my Windows 7 Media center tried to fall back to the analog channel, which is blank now due to the digital conversion. I also tried it on my TV's QAM tuner. Did anyone else lose it? I think 43.2 went away as well, but I don't watch that channel. All of the rest of my channels still come in fine.

Found it. It is on channel 119.5 (your subchannel may vary)

post #2058 of 2170 Old 02-09-2012, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaphod7501 View Post

Found it. It is on channel 119.5 (your subchannel may vary)

I wasn't able to find it at all from my TV or two USB QAM tuners. Were you able to get WTVP 47.1 on a different channel in 1080? I'm really disappointed that I lost half of the channels we normally watch. Usually only 19.1 25.1 43.1, 47.1.

I called Comcast to cancel my cable TV service and they told me since I'm under a promotion, my bill would actually increase. I'm not too happy about that. I think It is time for me to research an OTA solution. I looked in my basement and I found a RG8A/U cable that I think might be going up to the attic. I think I need an attic antenna to get FOX from my location (War Memorial and Frostwood). There was a connector with the end of the cable cut off, so I'm thinking I can maybe use that run for antenna signal with some type of RG8 to RG6 conversion.
post #2059 of 2170 Old 02-10-2012, 12:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stettin View Post

I wasn't able to find it at all from my TV or two USB QAM tuners. Were you able to get WTVP 47.1 on a different channel in 1080? I'm really disappointed that I lost half of the channels we normally watch. Usually only 19.1 25.1 43.1, 47.1.

The channels are all still there but some of them don't broadcast the correct PSIP information. PSIP is data that includes additional information. That is why WEEK can be identified as 25.1 rather than 120.1, which is its actual location. Without correct PSIP, you have to tune the channels on their actual physical frequency, not their virtual identifier.

19.1 is at 120.3
25.1 is at 120.1
31.1 is at 116.1
43.1 is at 119.5
47.1 is at 119.2
59.1 is at 116.3
WGN-HD is at 118.1

19 and 25 are the only two channels that can be found by their Virtual numbers (19.1 and 25.1) the rest have to be selected by using their Physical numbers. They do not have any Virtual number information available. That is a Station error not a Cable problem for the missing PSIP data.

Note: The subchannel digit can vary because different tuners assign them using different criteria.

After scanning channels, you won't find a "43.1" you should, however find a "119.5" With some tuners, you might have to remove 119, then scan it again before it will find new/different subchannels. Some tuners also give you options on "Virtual Channel Mode" vs physical channels. While 43.1 might have had correct PSIP identifying it as 43.1 in the past, it does not anymore and you will have to find it on 119 now.

post #2060 of 2170 Old 02-12-2012, 07:57 PM

Thanks for the tip. I actually managed to figure out what you posted prior to reading this. I ended up mapping those high physical channels once I was able to verify HD signals on my HDTV's tuner. I think the problem was when I was flipping around was that there wasn't any HD programming on at the time, so I assumed they were still SD. I still had to go in and map the EPG info from the virtual to the physicals, which took the better part of an hour. Anyway, thanks for the help.

Now I have to decide if I want to get an antenna for when my cable contract is up. It looks like they are going to charge about $22/mo for basic cable starting in October. I can probably get a pretty sweet antenna for less than a year's worth of that

By the way, NOBODY at Comcast had any idea how to fix my problem. It took me at least 6 phone reps to find someone that at least knew what QAM stood for. She just said that I was out of luck. I was about ready to give up, but my stubbornness won out.
post #2061 of 2170 Old 02-12-2012, 08:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Glad you got it sorted out. The terminology can be a bear to understand. Cable only understands "Virtual" channel numbers and their boxes do the dirty work in the background. The (you are never going to talk to them) engineers and techs know what's going on but the office/phone personnel usually don't.

post #2062 of 2170 Old 03-26-2012, 07:45 PM

Liked: 14
Stettin, Zaphod, are you getting reception on 119.5 for FOX and 120.3 for ABC on media center? Neither one of those are coming in for me right now using Windows 7 media center. They are coming through on my TV though. My scan function isn't working on media center for some reason so I have been punching the numbers in manually. I got CBS, NBC, WGN and the others to come in but no FOX or ABC.
post #2063 of 2170 Old 03-27-2012, 05:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by natedogg661 View Post

Stettin, Zaphod, are you getting reception on 119.5 for FOX and 120.3 for ABC on media center? Neither one of those are coming in for me right now using Windows 7 media center. They are coming through on my TV though. My scan function isn't working on media center for some reason so I have been punching the numbers in manually. I got CBS, NBC, WGN and the others to come in but no FOX or ABC.

Nothing has changed on my stuff - but I don't use Media Center. I have a My-HD that uses its own software and a DVD Recorder with a QAM tuner.

You should remember to try the PSIP virtual channel numbers also. (19.1, 43.1) remembering that the subchannel # can vary by 1 either way. (+/-)

post #2064 of 2170 Old 03-27-2012, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natedogg661 View Post

I use W7MC and was unable to find the channels with an auto scan. I am not home right now, but if you can find an option to show all channels, or manually add channels up in the 200 range that is the trick. I had to spend an hour or more watching channels for a few minutes and matching the guides up.
post #2065 of 2170 Old 03-27-2012, 10:13 AM

Liked: 14
Strange thing is when I set up the WinTV software that came with my Hauppage tuner it found FOX on 119.6 and ABC on 120.5. So I went to windows media center and punched those specific numbers in and a few of the subchannels on either side and still got nothing.
post #2066 of 2170 Old 03-28-2012, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebenste View Post

But, like I said, quipment does fail. At some point, they have two choices: buy all new, or stop doing news altogether. FOX and ABC in Rockford do news together. There was talk of ABC dropping it altogether...and it still remains a possibility.

The college with which the QC PBS station was with had to sell it. Now it's an indie PBS, and it's struggling. It can barely afford to stay on the air. It doesn't help that there's two Iowa PBS stations that come in quite clearly in the QC, o the point of a translator in the Quad Cities.

WTVP was this/close to going bankrupt, and they are barely hanging on. Rockford market has no PBS...it's fibered in from Chicago or Madison. It was licensed to DeKalb, a city I'm in, 30 miles southeast of Rockford, but NIU, who had the license, could not afford to put one on the air. So again, you are doing better than Rockford.

So there is some money available from corporate level, yes. But soon, decisions will have to be made about local news. Upgrade to HD...or shut it down? For you guys, I hope it's the former. I totally agree with the lack of accountability with no news reporting from local entities.

I've been busy with other things for a while, but last week, I did some more research and I did find out that Gray Television has been especially aggressive at converting all of it's stations's newscasts to HD.

Also, brief research into Coronet/Citadel Communications, shows that it looks like all of their stations were upgraded to full HD near the same time. Since they let ALL their stations fall into disrepair many years ago, I wonder how they even got the $$$ to revamp each one of them. If course, I say brief research because I only looked up 2 more of their stations. I believe they own 7 total, but through the years, it seems like every Citadel station is a clone of the other. So after looking up 2 additional stations, It can be assumed they're all in full HD now. I'll have to finish following each station soon.

I also saw that not only did Wausau Wisconsin, a town the size of Pekin, have one station recently complete full hd upgrades, but another Wausau station is also on it's way to full HD. So there's a place the size of Pekin that is soon to have 2 full HD stations. I also see that it has a few people in Green Bay angry as they're still waiting on one. Of course, it will happen for them before it plays here in Peoria. They're putting their hopes in Nexstar who recent bought a station there. I didn't have the time to sign into that forum to tell them not to hold their breath, or at least be prepared to hold it for a mighty long time. LOL

But at least Nexstar is doing it in certain markets, such as the UP of Michigan & Utica NY. I'd like to know what advertisers exist in Wausau, Utica & & the upper UP that Peoria, and I suppose Rockford, are lacking.

From the research I've been doing, it looks like such upgrades have almost nothing to do with the local market and almost everything to do with the station's parent companies.

Had Gray kept WHOI instead of selling them to Barrington, I genuinely believe they would have been our best station today.

And as for Granite, they're at the bottom of the barrel when it comes to finishing the HD conversion. They're the only company I know of with just one, San Fran's KOFY, and I believe that's only because they inherited it from Young Broadcasting that way. I've never known of another entity who touts their stations's newscasts as "digital widescreen". Nor do I know any other station that broadcast in digital widescreen without going straight to HD. Granite is also monopolizing the Ft. Wayne market, jacking up re-transmission fees (because they own most of the affiliates in that market), and have recently hence a lawsuit from Nexstar due to their practices in that market.

Granite & Young both had to file for bankruptcy due to very poor decisions they made in places like San Fran & Detroit. Yet Young seems to be running their stations a lot better than Granite right now. Of course, Silver Point capitol is the main problem right now. But since Granite got themselves into this mess with their poor decisions in the first place, I'd say let Granite fail and perhaps a good media owner like Gray would take them over. I'm sure Peoria would see improvements in every corner of WEEK if that were to happen.

As things are right now, mark my words, WMBD, with the lukewarm leadership of Nexstar, will be the first in Peoria to finish converting. Nexstar isn't that interested in doing it either, but at least they've done it before. Granite still hasn't, not even in Fresno, and I don't think Granite every will. Digital Widescreen was just a bonus made possible by improvements at the hub. WEEK's own location is turning into a shell, almost as Barron as WHOI.

And any kind of struggles that any station in the biggest markets are having is due to corporate greed. Television may be shrinking, but it still profitable (especially in the largest markets). They just need to lower their profit margins and expectations a notch.

I was appalled when I learned that Nexstar started talking about selling themselves out when they were doing better than almost everybody else. If they ever do such a thing, than that's an automatic debt somebody has to pay off. But hey, it's a way for their management to make a quick buck and a way for them to appease the stockholders. So there you have it, the Nexstar-Granite stronghold in Peoria and evidence that it's more about the media owner than it is about the market.
post #2067 of 2170 Old 03-28-2012, 01:43 PM

Quote:

I've been busy with other things for a while, but last week, I did some more research and I did find out that Gray Television has been especially aggressive at converting all of it's stations's newscasts to HD.

Also, brief research into Coronet/Citadel Communications, shows that it looks like all of their stations were upgraded to full HD near the same time. Since they let ALL their stations fall into disrepair many years ago, I wonder how they even got the $$$ to revamp each one of them. If course, I say brief research because I only looked up 2 more of their stations. I believe they own 7 total, but through the years, it seems like every Citadel station is a clone of the other. So after looking up 2 additional stations, It can be assumed they're all in full HD now. I'll have to finish following each station soon.

I also saw that not only did Wausau Wisconsin, a town the size of Pekin, have one station recently complete full hd upgrades, but another Wausau station is also on it's way to full HD. So there's a place the size of Pekin that is soon to have 2 full HD stations. I also see that it has a few people in Green Bay angry as they're still waiting on one. Of course, it will happen for them before it plays here in Peoria. They're putting their hopes in Nexstar who recent bought a station there. I didn't have the time to sign into that forum to tell them not to hold their breath, or at least be prepared to hold it for a mighty long time. LOL

But at least Nexstar is doing it in certain markets, such as the UP of Michigan & Utica NY. I'd like to know what advertisers exist in Wausau, Utica & & the upper UP that Peoria, and I suppose Rockford, are lacking.

From the research I've been doing, it looks like such upgrades have almost nothing to do with the local market and almost everything to do with the station's parent companies.

Had Gray kept WHOI instead of selling them to Barrington, I genuinely believe they would have been our best station today.

And as for Granite, they're at the bottom of the barrel when it comes to finishing the HD conversion. They're the only company I know of with just one, San Fran's KOFY, and I believe that's only because they inherited it from Young Broadcasting that way. I've never known of another entity who touts their stations's newscasts as "digital widescreen". Nor do I know any other station that broadcast in digital widescreen without going straight to HD. Granite is also monopolizing the Ft. Wayne market, jacking up re-transmission fees (because they own most of the affiliates in that market), and have recently hence a lawsuit from Nexstar due to their practices in that market.

Granite & Young both had to file for bankruptcy due to very poor decisions they made in places like San Fran & Detroit. Yet Young seems to be running their stations a lot better than Granite right now. Of course, Silver Point capitol is the main problem right now. But since Granite got themselves into this mess with their poor decisions in the first place, I'd say let Granite fail and perhaps a good media owner like Gray would take them over. I'm sure Peoria would see improvements in every corner of WEEK if that were to happen.

As things are right now, mark my words, WMBD, with the lukewarm leadership of Nexstar, will be the first in Peoria to finish converting. Nexstar isn't that interested in doing it either, but at least they've done it before. Granite still hasn't, not even in Fresno, and I don't think Granite every will. Digital Widescreen was just a bonus made possible by improvements at the hub. WEEK's own location is turning into a shell, almost as Barron as WHOI.

And any kind of struggles that any station in the biggest markets are having is due to corporate greed. Television may be shrinking, but it still profitable (especially in the largest markets). They just need to lower their profit margins and expectations a notch.

I was appalled when I learned that Nexstar started talking about selling themselves out when they were doing better than almost everybody else. If they ever do such a thing, than that's an automatic debt somebody has to pay off. But hey, it's a way for their management to make a quick buck and a way for them to appease the stockholders. So there you have it, the Nexstar-Granite stronghold in Peoria and evidence that it's more about the media owner than it is about the market.

I believe that Granite's WKBW in Buffalo, NY has gone HD. Also, word is that the stations in Fort Wayne are going to HD later this summer. I believe in Fort Wayne, they are still doing news in analog so I am sure that they needed to replace quite a bit of equipment due to age, so this is why I imagine they are going HD. I think that they also do a newscast for their Detroit station so I am sure that played into it.

I think that WEEK and WHOI put in new digital equipment a few years back and at that time HD was still very costly. Now there is not much difference in cost between HD or SD digital. I do hope though that it it sooner than later.

Hopefully in the next year or so Granite will put out the money to upgrade Peoria to HD news!!!!!
post #2068 of 2170 Old 03-28-2012, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCengineer View Post

I believe that Granite's WKBW in Buffalo, NY has gone HD. Also, word is that the stations in Fort Wayne are going to HD later this summer. I believe in Fort Wayne, they are still doing news in analog so I am sure that they needed to replace quite a bit of equipment due to age, so this is why I imagine they are going HD. I think that they also do a newscast for their Detroit station so I am sure that played into it.

I think that WEEK and WHOI put in new digital equipment a few years back and at that time HD was still very costly. Now there is not much difference in cost between HD or SD digital. I do hope though that it it sooner than later.

Hopefully in the next year or so Granite will put out the money to upgrade Peoria to HD news!!!!!

Thanks for the info, and I stand corrected! I missed it when I looked them up on Wikipedia the other day, but a closer look today reveals this:

"On August 13, 2011 beginning with its 6 pm newscast, WKBW began broadcasting its local newscasts in high definition, the first station in the Buffalo market to do so. The move coincides with WKBW's decision to outsource their master control operations to a company in Atlanta, which, although it resulted in the loss of several Buffalo jobs, was far less expensive than attempting to upgrade the existing master control room from standard-definition (SD) to HD."

Based on this information, it is now my assumption that WEEK's news will likely go HD once the Ft. Wayne transition is complete. I do know that WEEK's cameras are capable of HD 720P & their graphics are HD ready. A lot of these changes took place in 2009 & 2010. But I have also heard that their local switchboard has been abandoned & sits unused in favor of running everything from the hub. That said, there doesn't appear to be much new equipment installed locally other than what links to their hub.

The Buffalo example is yet another shortcut that shows that Granite may never touch the equipment themselves. But Granite's gonna outsource. And since WEEK controls have already been outsourced & the job losses are already out of the way, an upgrade to HD through the hub would only be a benefit to us.

As for WMBD, there was a squabble over installation of robotic cameras a few months back. I have no idea what become it of it, and I do have to wonder if this might be the possible beginnings of a Nexstar plan to put WMBD news in HD. Hopefully they'll do it without stepping on too many toes like Granite.
post #2069 of 2170 Old 05-31-2012, 09:06 AM

LOL, I seem to have a knack for killing threads. No matter how relevant my posts are.
post #2070 of 2170 Old 06-03-2012, 02:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

LOL, I seem to have a knack for killing threads. No matter how relevant my posts are.

I used to do that in my younger days.
Maybe Peoria itself is no longer relevant.

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page