Peoria, IL - HDTV - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 2170 Old 01-21-2005, 09:45 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
WRacer, what's the status of getting the new WYZZ-HD signal included in local Mediacom and Insight cable packages? Has there been any contact there at all?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 2170 Old 01-21-2005, 06:30 PM

Superior Satellite in Bloomington will install an antenna. And I think Good Vibes will, too.

Heck, if it wasn't for the snow on the roof, I'd climb out and install one for you.
post #183 of 2170 Old 01-21-2005, 08:04 PM

I am a handicapped person or "physically challenged" to be politically correct, ah to hell with that, handicapped. I may call these two to see how much they charge.

I live in rural East Peoria towards Spring Bay, 3 blocks from the IL River, what antennae would you suggest for me to get HD content. I live in a valley so keep that in mind. I have Mediacom HD, but I know they are real slow when it comes to signing contracts, and if I have to, I will buy an outside antennae to get WYZZ for Super Bowl. I have an inside antennae right now, and I can pick up WHOI, WEEK, WAOE and WTVP w/o any problems, but I think WYZZ may give me some issues, so any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

P
post #184 of 2170 Old 01-22-2005, 07:34 AM

I don't know what antenna to tell you to buy, as mine came with my house. You do want a UHF only antenna (don't mess with one that also does VHF) and get one with the highest power rating you can get with an amplifier.

You may also want to get a rotor so you can point toward Decatur and/or Springfield if they are not too far away for you. Mine doesn't have a rotor, so I added a second indoor antenna upstairs (the Zenith Silver Sensor) pointed toward Decatur, and I put a switcher in the basement to change between antennas. This has been perfect for watching Lost and Alias while WHOI has been having serious problems.

If you go to www.antennaweb.org, you'll find after typing in your address which stations you can expect to receive and the directions you'll need to point your antenna (that will tell you if a rotor is worth buying).
post #185 of 2170 Old 01-22-2005, 09:49 AM

According to www.antennaeweb.org, I have stations with Compass Orientation from 43° to 318°. It also, looks like the antennae I need to buy would be an antennae type "violet". So I would assume that I would need a rotor, true? Also, who makes some of the better antennaes, as far as manufacturers? You stated something about an amplifier, is this a separate purchase or would this be something that would be a part of the antennae?

Sorry for asking so many stupid questions, but this is new territory for me.

Thanks.

P
post #186 of 2170 Old 01-22-2005, 10:09 AM

Others may know the brand and model you should buy, but I would think that Superior Satellite or Good Vibes will know what works best. Most antennas do better with some sort of line amplifier, and they are a separate purchase, but these guys should have them, too.

Just one point, you may have some difficulty receiving HD content from any of the "violet" rated channels even with amplification, depending on how high you mount your antenna and the range of the one you purchase.

We're way beyond my expertise here, as I said... mine came with my house. However, there is a long antenna thread in here. You might try posting your questions there. Lots of experts hang out there who know brands, models, and everything.
post #187 of 2170 Old 01-22-2005, 10:21 AM

Appreciate your help and I will go lurking in the antennae forum. Thanks again.

Thanks.

P
post #188 of 2170 Old 01-22-2005, 06:00 PM

Decided to quit lurking and I took the plunge today for OTA HD.

Bought Samsung t351 and RS UHF antenna. In North Peoria. (Knoxville and Alta Road) I put the antenna in the second story attic (too cold! for outdoors) and used Antenaweb to point toward WYZZ. Scanning the channels, I got WHOI, WEEK, WTVP. Digital and HD. Spotty video at best for WEEK tonight. Signal strength varies. Added 10db amp, relly didn't see much difference.

My concern is not getting WYZZ! I'm looking for Superbowl in HD. Antenna is rated up to red. Do I need to mount on the roof, get a different amp, different antenna, r just kick myself for taking the plunge?

Thanks fr any information.
post #189 of 2170 Old 01-22-2005, 06:09 PM

SugarPaddy, I'm on the top of the hill and ended up with two antennaes. Just the plain old "bow tie with a screen door" omnidirectional for Peoria except WYZZ. WYZZ took a directional antennae but not a very big one. It's about 3.5 feet long but it has to be pointed at Bloomington not where the Peoria stations are. Both mounted on the same 5" mast on top of my 1 1/2 story house. I'm using an antennaejoiner for the analog but ended up using an A/B switch for digital back when WYZZ had low power digital.

Your problem might be being down in the valley and blocked by germantown hill. I have not had any luck getting Decatur or Springfied. Think you're going to need some height or luck.
post #190 of 2170 Old 01-22-2005, 06:40 PM

I don't think WYZZ is broadcasting digital at all yet, so that would account for you not getting it.
post #191 of 2170 Old 01-22-2005, 07:12 PM

Thanks, Cubfan. Good to know. Hopefully this is the issue. Shouldn't I get the analog signal? That may be a stupid question. I'm just new to the OTA scene and the T351.

Appreciate the info! Here's hoping that we will know soon the ETA on HD for Fox.
post #192 of 2170 Old 01-22-2005, 07:54 PM

Yes, you should get the analog, but on my system, you have to tell it to scan for analog channels. There's no digital signal at all... not even SD yet here. And since I'm in Bloomington, I'm expecting to get about 90% when it does come on, since it's gonna be the closest station to me.
post #193 of 2170 Old 01-23-2005, 06:43 AM

After some research, it seems to me the T351 is only digital. That would explain the inability to see the analog 43 signal. Whew. Hopefully we'll get the post soon on WYZZ when they are up.

Thanks again!
post #194 of 2170 Old 01-23-2005, 08:48 AM

For those of you looking for antennas, check out Channel Master products. I have the 4228 antenna, 7775 amplifier and the 9521 remote control rotor. This is a UHF only system. I live in central Normal and the antenna is on a 2-story roof and reception is great. Mobile Audio can order the products.

I think I invested $200 plus about another $30 for RG6 and wire for the rotor which can be purchased at Menards or Lowes.
post #195 of 2170 Old 01-23-2005, 11:14 AM

Liked: 11
Looks like WHOI is back in HD. The skating show on right now looks great.
post #196 of 2170 Old 01-23-2005, 07:05 PM

Yep, watched HOI tonight myself. Nice to not have to flip to the other antenna now. If only WEEK would now get their act together.
post #197 of 2170 Old 01-23-2005, 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by ggingrich
Bought Samsung t351 and RS UHF antenna. In North Peoria. (Knoxville and Alta Road) I put the antenna in the second story attic (too cold! for outdoors) and used Antenaweb to point toward WYZZ. Scanning the channels, I got WHOI, WEEK, WTVP. Digital and HD. Spotty video at best for WEEK tonight. Signal strength varies. Added 10db amp, relly didn't see much difference.
My concern is not getting WYZZ! I'm looking for Superbowl in HD. Antenna is rated up to red. Do I need to mount on the roof, get a different amp, different antenna, r just kick myself for taking the plunge?

You might want to try to see if you receive Fox 18 (digital channel 49). I'm near the corner of Pioneer Parkway and Knoxville, and I'm in a lower level apartment, and I get Quad Cities channels much better than any Peoria station.
post #198 of 2170 Old 01-23-2005, 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by WRacer
We hope to have the new transmitter on by Saturday, but don't plan on HD yet.
Don't be alarmed if you see an SD signal while we're testing. More of the HD equipment needs to be set up and programmed...maybe by next week if we're lucky!
Jim

Any updates on the progress? I'm sure the last little snow/ice we got, followed by the 40 MPH winds sure didn't help, but would appreciate any updates you might have.

Also, I'm still pretty curious about the Sherman's commercial that claims "first time the Super Bowl will be available locally in HD, brought to you by Sherman's and Hitachi". But not brought to us by WYZZ?? And any information or inside scoops you can give about any contact with Insight would be greatly appreciated. I'm concerned that my Silver Sensor won't have the best quality with the tower being 23 miles away or so (I'm in Peoria near Knoxville/Glen BTW), so as scary as it is, I might have to rely on Insight (yeah right!!!!). Thanks in advance for any info!

Hitachi 57S715
Zenith DVB318
Onkyo HTS-670S
post #199 of 2170 Old 01-24-2005, 03:02 PM

Just got off the phone with a tech @WYZZ. He told me that there are issues with the equipment and they are bringing in the manufacturer. Didn't get any date on when they will be up. He did state that is why there is no SD signal for them.

Hopefully someone will gat a date on this soon.
post #200 of 2170 Old 01-24-2005, 04:11 PM

Just received an email from WEEK-DT and here is what they said:

"Sir,
WEEK's HD programming should be back in service tonight."

Good news to all.

Thanks.

P
post #201 of 2170 Old 01-24-2005, 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by SugarPaddy
"WEEK's HD programming should be back in service tonight."

I sure hope so! The tribute to Johnny Carson is not to be missed!
post #202 of 2170 Old 01-24-2005, 06:14 PM
EAW

Vegas seems to be HD. During fear factor it cut out to national weather a couple of times and the volume was changing but it appears they were just testing things for being back to HD.

Good deal.
post #203 of 2170 Old 01-25-2005, 04:29 AM

WEEK's volume is REALLY screwed up still. Commercials come on with twice the volume as the program and some are quiet. Also, when watching "Medium," they cut out the HD with about 5 minutes left in the program.

I gotta say, they're still pretty clueless.
post #204 of 2170 Old 01-25-2005, 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by ggingrich

ggingrich, that's good to know that you're picking up everything that's available (hopefully WYZZ soon too) with your antenna in the attic. I'm about 2-3 blocks north of you and was wondering how an attic antenna would work. Haven't taken the plunge yet but I'm thinking about going the antenna route.

I'm curious how you ran your antenna cable from your TV to your attic. My TV is in my basement and I'm not sure how to fish the wire all the way to my 2nd story attic. Thanks.
post #205 of 2170 Old 01-25-2005, 06:43 PM

WYZZ.........8 business days and counting........No signal yet.

Thank goodness for FOX on D* and WRSP Springfield.

Shermans in Peoria better hope that 28/43-1 HD is up or I would be willing to bet they are going to be dealing with many upset customers after their SB marketing campaign.

LOL!
post #206 of 2170 Old 01-25-2005, 07:00 PM

WYZZ better hope that they get the HD broadcast up and running themselves. I saw a commercial advertising a WYZZ Super Bowl party at In Play. It said that the game would be shown in HD there.

I just wish I could get WRSP. I can pick up channel 55 but it is unwatchable. The sad thing is that it comes in almost as good as WYZZ. WYZZ must be seriously underpowered if I can get a station 68 miles away almost as good as one 27 miles away.
post #207 of 2170 Old 01-25-2005, 07:35 PM

spd476

I live in Washington and can get WRSP with a CM 4228 and a CM amp in my garage attic. You can buy both at LOWES.

Or if you have D* you can move to Chicago or have your secondary address there.
post #208 of 2170 Old 01-26-2005, 04:48 AM

What is D*, anyway?
post #209 of 2170 Old 01-26-2005, 05:38 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by canaugle
ggingrich, that's good to know that you're picking up everything that's available (hopefully WYZZ soon too) with your antenna in the attic. I'm about 2-3 blocks north of you and was wondering how an attic antenna would work. Haven't taken the plunge yet but I'm thinking about going the antenna route.

I'm curious how you ran your antenna cable from your TV to your attic. My TV is in my basement and I'm not sure how to fish the wire all the way to my 2nd story attic. Thanks.

Tuner is in the basement. There is an opening in our bedroom closet that goes to the attic. I ran the cable from there, down heat duct and into the basement. Had to do it for ethernet when we first moved in, so the opening was already there. A little duct tape and there you go. (BTW, took the T351 back due to the digital dropout issue, and bought a t451 online. Cheaper, too!)

I sure would like to see WYZZ get it together, but it would be interesting to hear what happens to Shermans, etc. if they don't.

Is the Springfield station HD? I assume I would have to point the antenna south/southwest. Anyone in North Peoria getting the station?
post #210 of 2170 Old 01-26-2005, 06:25 AM - Thread Starter

I still want to know if Insight and Mediacom will be picking up the new WYZZ-HD stuff?
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page