Peoria, IL - HDTV - Page 72 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #2131 of 2170 Old 10-19-2013, 11:47 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So how many regulars do we have on this thread? It's been years since I have visted avsforum.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2132 of 2170 Old 10-20-2013, 08:07 AM

I get email updates when someone posts to the thread if that qualifies.
post #2133 of 2170 Old 10-22-2013, 10:55 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I check AVSForums once a week or so (I used to spend too much time on here, so I decided to cut back). I follow most of the OTA threads adjacent to the Champaign, Springfield, Decatur market, but most of my posts are limited to the CSD, Chicago, and Indy/Terre Haute/Lafayette threads. During DX season, I occasionally receive Peoria and Bloomington stations, so I follow the thread to know what's up. More rarely, I'll also look up network TV news, home video system info, and streaming video info, and occasionally ATSC-M/H news.

Now with 100% more Amateur Extra Class privileges!
post #2134 of 2170 Old 10-27-2013, 11:34 AM

So is there anyone who does rooftop antenna installation anymore? I am getting old and don't feel like climbing on the roof.
post #2135 of 2170 Old 11-11-2013, 10:23 AM

LOL, I doubt I can be considered a "regular", but perhaps a "semi-regular". I still check this thread every once in a while, but I don't have a whole lot of things left to post about the most stagnant television market in the nation. In fact, I refuse to watch them unless they get a couple of major facelifts. I guess I've become spoiled by watching the QC stations, as well as the Springfield, Rockford, and even the Quincy stations. Once you watch a few of their newscasts, it's really hard to go back to the crap that is Peoria DMA #116.

I'd love to see Granite go up for sale or merge with a much better-managed company. Why they continue to crave stumbling on to make further poor decisions is beyond me. I know that Sinclair is just as much to blame as Granite for the loss of WHOI on many Comcast systems. I don't think Sinclair & Comcast have the best relationship and I know that Sinclair (like Nexstar) can overcharge ridiculously staggering re-transmission fees. I have no idea why the lie to the Lincoln newspaper (see link below), if what it said was true, than WEEK & WMBD would have been dropped as well. Granite is to blame for what sets WHOI apart from WEEK & WMBD. Granite has pretty much destroyed their news product, leaving them with NOTHING to offer over WICS. Without WHOI producing anything truly local, why pay extra re-transsion fees for a duplicate nothing? They were also pulled from Galesburg's Comcast system as well. Being dropped by several cable systems can't help their bottom line at all.

I must also point out that, according to Mark DeSantis, WHOI was going to be upgraded from the Galileo to a Cinema Live HD weather graphics system (identical to WEEK's current model) later on in the year. I checked recently and that still hasn't happened. Perhaps that was another lie to get me off of his back? I know better. He was pretty much rude and hateful toward me, and nothing he said had any basis in reality. In fact, he used smokescreen tactics in order to make me look like an idiot and basically told me I was the only one who ever complained about WEEK. Go to his FB fan page now and the newest comments are all negative. LOL Thought I was the only one? And what's a ratings powerhouse like WEEK doing with Accu WX in this day in age?

And as for WMBD...A few months ago, there would be the occasional critical comment posted on WMBD's Facebook page. Especially when there's a sports event that they can only pass in SD 4:3. Eventually, they laid the law down and told people they would no longer tolerate hateful or disrespectful comments or the violators could eventually get blocked. Not only does this policy refer to abuse from one commenter directed toward another commenter, but they've also decided to use this as a way to snuff out any critical comment that anybody may post about the station. Nexstar is committed to doing what they can to keep Peoria tv viewers in the dark. They will stop at nothing to keep quiet those who would let those know that they are performing well beneath the average, even in this day in age.

Nexstar has recently bought WHBF from Citadel which means they own almost every CBS station surrounding Peoria, yet WMBD is the only one left that still broadcasts newscasts in 4:3 480i. I never would have thought this even 2 years ago, but now I have a sneaking suspicion that Nexstar is at least toying with the notion of farming WMBD's newscast out to an adjacent market. After all, many of us are 99.9% sure it's also a dream of their competition too. That said, there may come a time within the decade where the Peoria stations are no more than just repeaters of distant newscasts. WEEK's would obviously come out of their Ft. Wayne hub. But my question is which station would Nexstar build their hub? It's such a tragedy what is happening to DMA #116, but that's what happens when there's no competition. And I absolutely refuse to watch them now until they return to broadcasting in the public interest. It is not so much their poor quality that has finally caused me to turn my back on them, rather, it's the way they treat people who criticize their operations. Granite officials are less than professional and Nexstar thinks they can just ignore people as if they are nothing. If only it would do good to complain to the FCC.

http://www.lincolncourier.com/news/x625967990/Comcast-to-drop-Channel-18-in-Lincoln
post #2136 of 2170 Old 11-11-2013, 06:35 PM

Liked: 11
I check in from time to time as well.I haven't watched any Peoria channels lately but if they still have the same news anchors,it is understandable why there are complaints.My reason for checking this site so much in the past was to see if Comcast had made any changes in Peoria area we did get in Galesburg.
Jokinjer1 likes this.
post #2137 of 2170 Old 11-12-2013, 08:56 PM

I reckon that Nexstar would probably farm the news out to WCIA, which seems to be their strongest affiliate in the region. Part of this is the pain of being a squeezed in TV market, especially being adjacent to several larger markets. Heck, even the Cape Girardeau/Carbondale/Paducah market is larger than the Peoria market, apparently. Then, part of it is the situation Peoria finds itself in. When Caterpillar is being actively courted by other states (regardless of whether they're looking), it is kinda difficult for other businesses to really be optimistic about the market. I heard ADM was getting ready to leave Decatur. It may not be the death knell of Decatur, but it certainly isn't a clean bill of health. It'll be a glimpse in the crystal ball for Peoria should Caterpillar leave. The impact it has on Decatur television should be very… educational for us in the surrounding region. (Though "Decatur television" really is just WAND, and what little Decatur coverage is on WICS and WCIA. WBUI doesn't really count, since it has no local news, and the only reason it's even in Decatur is because its predecessor station was and for the sake of having a mid-market transmitter site.)

post #2138 of 2170 Old 11-12-2013, 10:43 PM

"I reckon that Nexstar would probably farm the news out to WCIA, which seems to be their strongest affiliate in the region."

I agree, but perhaps with some additional production possibly originating from WHBF. (I wonder if WHBF has had any rating's increase since their almost-overnight multi-million dollar improvements last year).

"Part of this is the pain of being a squeezed in TV market, especially being adjacent to several larger markets."

It's true the Peoria market is squeezed in, yet so are the Rockford stations. And even though the City of Rockford has become significantly larger than the city of Peoria, there's not much more going for Rockford than there is for Peoria. In fact, in many ways, Rockford is in worse shape, and the overall Rockford-area tv market is considerably smaller. And yet they have at least 3 stations with surviving independent newscasts, and all in HD. Peoria only has 2 stations and neither can even compare to WGEM in Quincy, which is less than half the size of Peoria. And in a DMA a fraction the size of Peoria's, how can Quincy run 2 stations? KHQA is also a fairly decent station the last I knew. It also puzzles me why Barrington decided to give them an entire new studios but not for WHOI. All I know is almost every Granite station looks horrible and it's a wonder WEEK still remains as popular as it does. Also, Nexstar, though not as bad, is also known for cutting corners. It's unfortunate that these 2 entities have seized DMA# 116 with no other competition. Another reason why I believe the future of Peoria tv is bleak.
post #2139 of 2170 Old 11-13-2013, 08:48 AM

If either of the Peoria stations could prove that they are NOT cutting corners, and if they could at least remotely pretend to give a crap about the viewer, than I'd take some time and suffer to watch some of their newscasts again. But for now, they have lost me. All I see of them now is their Facebook pages, and the rare newscast, which is usually just to see if anything has improved.
post #2140 of 2170 Old 11-17-2013, 10:09 AM

Due to the particularly dangerous severe weather situation, I had to force myself to watch the Peoria stations and I have to admit they're both doing an EXCELLENT job at severe weather coverage, except for WEEK's picture of the supposed Galesburg Tornado. What was up with that? There wasn't one. LOL But for what they have to work with, the local on-air personalities really work hard. WEEK had a close call. I hope everybody is safe.
post #2141 of 2170 Old 11-20-2013, 08:56 AM

I just noticed that all local newscasts in Erie, Pennsylvania, including their Nexstar duopoly, are now broadcasting in HD, and that's DMA #147. What gives Peoria?
post #2142 of 2170 Old 11-22-2013, 05:10 PM

Dunno. Perhaps it's a game of chicken or a staring contest? You know, the one owner waiting for the other to bite the bullet? Additionally, I can only assume that a rational TV station has an equipment replacement cycle. Otherwise, there'd be the temptation to buy the latest, greatest equipment, even while the current works perfectly well. So, perhaps they're just not at a point in their cycle where they're ready to update. Alternatively, maybe they're waiting for the other shoe to drop in terms of spectrum allocation changes. Hard to say, especially when you'd think it would be a competitive advantage. Basically, what I'm saying is that there could be a rational, non-neglect, reason for it.

post #2143 of 2170 Old 12-01-2013, 11:34 AM

There's a good chance it's a matter of chicken or a standoff. And if it is, than Peoria's lack of competition will see to it that the status quo remains as long as possible. Competitive advantage? I guess there is none except people fleeing WMBD news in droves because they still broadcast in 4:3 which looks HORRIBLE on widescreen sets. Their glitches are also turning people off as well. I've lost count of their 2-day off-air periods under Nexstar's watch.

Otherwise, there's no competitive advantage in Peoria. It seems like WEEK always remains #1 no matter what. WEEK could air a test pattern for news and they'd still have higher ratings than WMBD. That's just the stupidity of Peoria viewers. WMBD should have easily trumped WEEK once WEEK started farming things out to Ft. Wayne, or when they cannibalized WHOI. In almost every other market where that has happened, a station NOT involved has taken the ratings lead, but that doesn't play in Peoria. Though all WEEK's errors, they still remained a ratings powerhouse. It's almost as if some aren't even aware WMBD exists. That said, WEEK will always remain #1 and WMBD will always be #2 no matter what they do thus there's no competitive advantage in Peoria. It's sad but true and I guess this is a big reason why both owners can get buy with cutting those stations to the bone. Personally, I prefer WMBD over WEEK. WMBD has a slightly higher turnover, but at least they've remodeled their studios since 1996. Also, in severe weather, WMBD has the best radar imagery & several useful severe weather tools. WEEK's accu WX radar is bland in comparison and lacks most of those extra tools. All 3 QC stations, even poor WHBF, have updated their weather graphics systems within this past year With WSI/WxCentral's latest, and the graphics are one generation ahead of anything the Peoria stations have. However, the severe weather tools & the quality of the radar haven't changed much since Weather Central's 3D Live that WMBD uses.

Oh, and I'm not sure the idea of rational equipment replacement cycles plays in Peoria. This I know because ALL the Peoria stations kept using antiquated equipment long as they could possibly make it work, regardless of all the problems they were having. WEEK was about the last NBC station to broadcast in Stereo, when they finally did so in 2001. Almost all of the others did so before 1990 as NBC pushed them hard. Sure, there's been a few changes made at all of the stations, but not much more than what was required by the FCC to pass network programming in HD. WEEK basically abandoned a lot of their local controls and switchboards in favor of having everything farmed out to their Ft. Wayne hub, which I consider cheating. And now let's look at all the power outages and technical glitches that WMBD has been plagued with these past few years and tell me that some upgrading isn't past due. What kills me is seeing all the complaints people post on their Facebook page, yet somehow, Nexstar doesn't seem to care. I just sent them a scathing e-mail about their lack of response to those who complain and I let them know I'll be filing complaints with (and will encourage others to file complaints with) the FCC if things don't change within the next year.
post #2144 of 2170 Old 12-02-2013, 08:02 PM

Glad to see some Central Illinois members here. Would love to get to know some you guys better. I'm in Peoria.
post #2145 of 2170 Old 12-02-2013, 08:33 PM

I'm east of Champaign, but I occasionally can receive the Bloomington-Normal and Peoria stations, so I follow the thread.

post #2146 of 2170 Old 01-05-2014, 02:50 PM

I've recently stumbled across some research and I think I have found out why the technological lag in the Peoria DMA.

First off, it is official that Sinclair will not renew the Granite-Barrington SSA's in 2 markets, Peoria & Syracuse once they expire in 2017. It is my speculation, as well as the speculation of several others, that Sinclair is most likely wanting to revamp the WYZZ studios in Bloomington, which is currently operated by WMBD, and run WHOI from that studios. I have suspected that Sinclair would want to bring their conservative news slant to the Peoria DMA. We also mustn't forget that Peoria is the only market where Sinclair owns some stations but with no news op of their own. The possibly new sinclair operation would be technologically superior to anything the Peoria DMA has seen. It would be a fully-hd facility with a strong & stable newscast similar to WICS. I don't like their conservative slant, and I'm not a huge fan of Sinclair, but they would run so much smoother than a Granite station.

If this is all true, than we'd have a WHOI/WYZZ duopoly, WEEK/WAOE duopoly, and WMBD as a standalone. That would be 3 players once again, right?

Not so fast, there are rumors of Granite going up for sale, which, in itself, is the best thing that could ever happen to WEEK. There's nothing more that I'd like to see than Granite totally going belly-up. They managed things horribly since their inception in 1988. However, the rumors also state that Nexstar is one of the media players looking to acquire Granite. If that happens, than they will probably divest WMBD, which would likely go to one of their shell corporations like Mission. If this happens, than we'd probably see WMBD's news studios move into the WEEK facility as I'm sure Nexstar probably wouldn't continue to have 2 separate news operations in the same market. However, it would still be superior to the current WEEK/WHOI arrangement. Nexstar would then go ahead and almost immediately upgrade the rest of their equipment to full HD and they'd get a full makeover. This is what Nexstar has been doing everywhere else where they've been taking over. But I'm hoping that a totally unrelated company buys WEEK in order to maintain a third player in Peoria. Nexstar is fairly stable and strong and WMBD will do fine even as a standalone. In this situation, all 3 operations would probably get a full makeover within a year of each other as the QC stations did. And I'd like to see WMBD aquire the CW.

So for now, there's probably a huge amount of future ownership uncertainty and I bet that has each owner apprehensive of making much investments. But unfortunately, it appears the Peoria stations will continue to suck for a long time as it's another 3 years 'til 2017. I can only hope they can recover and can be taken seriously once again.

I'll include a few of several links just in case there's anybody left on this forum who still cares about the future of the Peoria stations:

http://www.tvnewscheck.com/article/69524/sook-nexstars-working-on-two-deals

http://www.cnyradio.com/2013/11/27/new-wstm-owner-were-not-renewing-with-wtvh/

http://www.tvnewscheck.com/article/72768/2013-in-biz-dc-programming-new-media
post #2147 of 2170 Old 02-03-2014, 08:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Anyone else have issues with the picture on Fox freezing during the Super Bowl yesterday? I don't see any complaints on it in the Super Bowl thread, so I'm wondering if it was an issue with our local Fox affiliate, or if I was having an issue with my DirecTV receiver or TV. The audio didn't seem to have any issues, the picture would just freeze for a few frames, and then pick back up. I didn't get a chance to try watching OTA to see if the problem was there too.
post #2148 of 2170 Old 02-11-2014, 08:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quincy Newspapers Acquires WEEK

http://www.broadcastingcable.com/news/local-tv/quincy-newspapers-acquires-granite-trio/129102
Quote:
Quincy Newspapers is acquiring Granite stations WBNG Binghamton, KBJR Duluth and WEEK Peoria/Bloomington. Quincy is also acquiring WPTA Ft. Wayne from Malara Broadcasting.

It will operate other stations in those markets under shared services agreements, including WHOI and WAOE Peoria/Bloomington, Ill., as well as stations to be acquired by Louis Wall’s SagamoreHill Broadcasting: WISE Ft. Wayne and KDLH Duluth.
post #2149 of 2170 Old 02-11-2014, 08:28 AM

So more farming out the weekend weather from Fort Wayne, Ind.? Isn't WEEK's control room already in Fort Wayne's hands? I wonder if Jokinjer1 has anything to say about this?
post #2150 of 2170 Old 02-11-2014, 09:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I dont know if this is good or bad for ya but Quincy likes to associate with CW, MeTV and ThisTV. So you might get MeTV and ThisTV after the sale goes through.
Also in their markets they run CW in HD as a subchannel (and in some places they still add This or Me)
post #2151 of 2170 Old 02-11-2014, 09:52 AM

The seven day forecast is already credited to Accu-Weather on WEEK, (but not on HOI even though it's the same) and they pay for that privilege. Every graphic page they show on WEEK has Accu-Weather on it. I wonder how much 'forecasting' is done on Springfield Road anymore.
post #2152 of 2170 Old 02-11-2014, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dishrich View Post

http://www.broadcastingcable.com/news/local-tv/quincy-newspapers-acquires-granite-trio/129102

Hopefully Quincy will upgrade its new Peoria stations to HD local news, because all of Quincy's current TV stations do their local news in HD. (I found that out after coming home from the Atlanta area last year and stayed in Wytheville, VA on my way home. I watched Quincy's station WVVA [in Bluefield, WV] and noticed that they had HD local news, so I went to the company's web site [http://www.careersatquincy.com] and later, at least some of their stations' Wikipedia pages, and noticed that they all did local news in HD.)
post #2153 of 2170 Old 02-11-2014, 02:17 PM

The CW on WHOI is in HD now. It went HD back in September or October.
post #2154 of 2170 Old 02-12-2014, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dishrich View Post

I'm like a psychic when it comes to these things. Even though Mark DeSantis tried to convince me that Granite bounced back as a super-strong company, even a numb person could feel the shock from their death throws, and see the damage therefrom every time they tune to News 25. A new day has dawned for DMA#116 & Granite Broadcasting's 25 years of senseless tyranny is finally coming to and end piece by piece. Since November, rumors began to fly. It was not a matter of "if", but "when" & "how" Silver Point Media has also recently recently started to sell other media companies they acquired and have since ran into the ground. And it now appears they will be selling Granite peace meal. And just one day before the Quincy Newspaper acquisitions, E.W. Scripps bought 2 Granite stations, leaving only 3 or 4 to Granite for the time being. It will be interesting to see if Granite remains intact as the owner of 2 or 3 stations as selling off the rest will nearly pay off their debt.

I'm so excited over this! Just ridding Peoria of Granite is the best news of the year for DMA116. Now, to be fair to Granite, they had some bad luck & financial problems. Some of it wasn't their fault, but they did make their own fair share of stupid decisions they should never have made. If it wasn't for the San Francisco fiasco, I'm sure they would never have filed bankruptcy & their stations would be in much better shape now, though they would have remained, at best, the mediocre company they were before Silver Point Capitol got a hold of them. I just wish they would have let go sooner instead of continuing to squeeze every last drop of life they could. I wish them well. Perhaps they should try investing in a circus or a comedy troupe somewhere, or perhaps run a couple of ice cream kiosks in the summer.

I'm so Glad Quincy Newspaper is getting them instead of Nexstar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mademedia View Post

So more farming out the weekend weather from Fort Wayne, Ind.? Isn't WEEK's control room already in Fort Wayne's hands? I wonder if Jokinjer1 has anything to say about this?
Someone remembered me! biggrin.gif I'm touched. :DI'm pretty sure the WEEK studios could be restored to a fully-local operation, with a fully-renovated & HD news operation, just like almost every other #1 station in a mid market had done 2 years ago. The abandoned master control room at the WEEK facility would simply get upgraded like it should have been in the first place, and remodeling would happen in other places as needed, especially where new wires are ran. The link from the Ft. Wayne hub can easily be severed and used for a lesser station somewhere else. Though I do like the way the Quincy Newspaper Company runs WGEM in Quincy, keep in mind that they are also buying one of the Ft. Wayne Stations. That said, I can't be sure they would bother to break the link that allows Ft. Wayne to control WEEK as it is already in place. But I can almost guarantee they will drastically improve operations & graphics, upgrade the Newscasts to HD & give the newsroom a full & much-needed makeover. Those are my opinions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka22 View Post

The seven day forecast is already credited to Accu-Weather on WEEK, (but not on HOI even though it's the same) and they pay for that privilege. Every graphic page they show on WEEK has Accu-Weather on it. I wonder how much 'forecasting' is done on Springfield Road anymore.

LOL AccuWx is a stigma for any station to have and it's laughable that WEEK touts them like they do. Again, WEEK appears to be the the largest station in the US who still uses AccuWX. The hot ones are WSI/WxCentral & Baron (VIPIR). Though I'm sure some forecasting still gets done & WEEK, their presentations have been long-unwatchable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbclev View Post

Hopefully Quincy will upgrade its new Peoria stations to HD local news, because all of Quincy's current TV stations do their local news in HD. (I found that out after coming home from the Atlanta area last year and stayed in Wytheville, VA on my way home. I watched Quincy's station WVVA [in Bluefield, WV] and noticed that they had HD local news, so I went to the company's web site [http://www.careersatquincy.com] and later, at least some of their stations' Wikipedia pages, and noticed that they all did local news in HD.)

Quincy Newspaper is just one of several media companies that broadcast their news in HD. There are also several other companies that can boast the same including Gray Television & Citadel. Even a large number of Sinclair & Nexstar stations are there. Hopefully this will get Nexstar on the ball with WMBD. But I'm sure they are waiting to see whether or not they will still be controlling WYZZ in the future. Though the press releases say that Quincy will continue to operate WHOI, it is unclear to me if that means they will continue to operate them until the original agreement ends in 2017, or if they have also struck a deal directly with Sinclair to continue indefinitely past that date. Sinclair doesn't own a single duopoly in the nation without a Sinclair-produced newscast. And given Sinclair's strength and their strong desire to bring their conservative slant to the markets they're in, I can't see them not taking back the WHOI newsroom so Peoria can hear their own voice. But since the consolidation is already in place, they may decide to leave things as they are. idk I'm almost positive it will be a while before they decided whether or not to extend the SSA with WEEK past 2017.

Nobody in Peoria seemed to believe me when I said this, but it is true that the Peoria area is one of the very few markets left where not a single commercial station has an HD newscast. In many cases, even smaller markets such as Erie, PA & Rockford, IL have ALL of their stations broadcasting newscasts in HD. It's high time Peoria stations are at least brought up to speed with markets that are at least 1/3 their size.

I have one question though. I can't figure out whether or not KHQA has upgraded their news operations to HD. I don't think so, but I can't find out for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCengineer View Post

The CW on WHOI is in HD now. It went HD back in September or October.

That's one thing that was done right under the Granite leadership. The CW is an up-and-coming network and it's nice to know that Peoria viewers can now see it they way it was mean to be shown. You don't always see digital sub channels in HD. Now if only WEEK could pick up another sub.

The near future of DMA#116 is anybody's guess & therefore I am only speculating on these things.
post #2155 of 2170 Old 02-14-2014, 08:37 AM

Quicny also has broadcast hubs, so there still will not be a local Master Control. Most likely it will not be hubbed from Fort Wayne, but still will be a hubbed station. All or most of the Quincy stations are hubbed out.
http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20130916006456/en/Quincy-Broadcast-Transitions-Centralized-Operations-Harris-Broadcast
post #2156 of 2170 Old 02-14-2014, 02:54 PM

Been quite a while since I checked in here.

We cut the cable about 3 or 4 years ago and are currently just using Roku. We were OTA but we moved our TV and there isn't coax set up for the room it's in now. May just buy a indoor antenna and give it a try for now.

My buddy just cut the cord and I gave him my Zinwell ZAT1970a box we were using and a RCA 112R antenna I had bought for my mom after the tornado. Took about 45 seconds to hook it up and he was shocked at the picture quality and reception. Zero pixelation. No Fox station came in which didn't surprise me.

Any advice: We live in near Richwoods HS and have a Eagle Aspen EASDTV2BUHF up on the side of the house, facing west. From what I've read, I should have it facing SW (?) Would that explain my inability to get WYZZ? Locals and Quad city stations come in pretty good. Is there another antenna I should consider? Any advice is appreciated.
post #2157 of 2170 Old 02-15-2014, 05:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by mazr View Post

Been quite a while since I checked in here.

We cut the cable about 3 or 4 years ago and are currently just using Roku. We were OTA but we moved our TV and there isn't coax set up for the room it's in now. May just buy a indoor antenna and give it a try for now.

My buddy just cut the cord and I gave him my Zinwell ZAT1970a box we were using and a RCA 112R antenna I had bought for my mom after the tornado. Took about 45 seconds to hook it up and he was shocked at the picture quality and reception. Zero pixelation. No Fox station came in which didn't surprise me.

Any advice: We live in near Richwoods HS and have a Eagle Aspen EASDTV2BUHF up on the side of the house, facing west. From what I've read, I should have it facing SW (?) Would that explain my inability to get WYZZ? Locals and Quad city stations come in pretty good. Is there another antenna I should consider? Any advice is appreciated.
Are you sure about that direction? Our transmitters are located (basically) in East Peoria so you would face your antenna East to SE, not West. A TV Fool map (http://www.tvfool.com/index.php?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=90) would give you a visual indication of direction from your house.

Note also that the wire bow ties are the active elements of your antenna and the grid is designed to block signals from the back side. Some of the amplified flat plastic antenna will pick up from the front and back, which might allow you to receive both Peoria and Quad City stations, which are in opposite directions. http://www.walmart.com/ip/RCA-ANT702F-Indoor-Outdoor-Amplified-Antenna/34312397 http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/STELLAR-LABS-30-2455-/30-2455

Sturgeon's Law: "Nothing is always absolutely so."
Sturgeons Revelation: "Ninety percent of everything is crud."
My Thoughts: "A reasoned argument must share some basic common points."
post #2158 of 2170 Old 02-15-2014, 07:03 AM

Yea I had the direction wrong. SE looks to be the best.
post #2159 of 2170 Old 02-17-2014, 11:22 AM

Interesting article! And yes, I certainly wasn't holding my breath for the hub to be broken. Once shortcuts are already completed and in place, they seldom go back, regardless of owner.

Nor will I hold my breath for Sinclair to resurrect the WHOI or WYZZ studios to bring back a third news operation. They announced they will not renew the SSA with Granite, but that doesn't mean they won't renew the SSA with Quincy.

But whatever happens, it can't get any worse than Granite. Quincy stations seem to work very smoothly. WGEM (and KHQA, for that matter) has put Peoria tv stations to shame for 20 years.

I just have one quick question, though it is sort of unrelated. Does anybody know if KHQA, Quincy's CBS affiliate, has gained the ability to broadcast local programming in HD? I haven't found anything to verify and I haven't been able to see them OTA for 2 years. But on their website, their studios look very flashy and they appear to be, at least, in digital widescreen. If not, than it's probably only a matter of time before Sinclair completes their transition.
post #2160 of 2170 Old 02-18-2014, 01:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jokinjer1 View Post

I just have one quick question, though it is sort of unrelated. Does anybody know if KHQA, Quincy's CBS affiliate, has gained the ability to broadcast local programming in HD? I haven't found anything to verify and I haven't been able to see them OTA for 2 years. But on their website, their studios look very flashy and they appear to be, at least, in digital widescreen. If not, than it's probably only a matter of time before Sinclair completes their transition.

I've found YouTube video of KHQA's 10 P.M. news from last night, and it looks to be in widescreen SD. (The news starts after 2 minutes of a blank screen.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nt12HiSeys
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page