Peoria, IL - HDTV - Page 73 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #2161 of 2164 Old 02-18-2014, 08:35 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks. Whether HD or not, that puts WMBD/WYZZ as the only mid-market newscast, to my knowledge, still broadcasting in 4:3. I have my fingers crossed that this will change for WMBD by the end of the year. Though I bet there's going to be some hubbing involved. I'm just hoping it's not a total farm-out of their newscast. I know Nexstar has recently opened a news hub in Memphis.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2162 of 2164 Old 04-13-2014, 09:04 AM

2 recent FCC rulings:

https://www.mediabistro.com/tvspy/fcc-votes-to-prevent-joint-retransmission-negotiations_b118328

https://www.mediabistro.com/tvspy/fcc-votes-to-ban-joint-service-agreements_b118336

I love it how the republicans slammed their decision to restrict JSA's. Over the past few years, and plenty of times, I've seen people blame the democrats for the loose FCC rules, just because they were forged during the days of the Clinton Administration. I sure hope many of those same people are paying attention to what is happening now.

I'm for people getting rich, but not if they're going to play dirty. For those who think the republicans are any better than the democrats, both parties are corrupt.
post #2163 of 2164 Old 07-13-2014, 09:05 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
As someone whos worked at both wmbd and week it makes me laugh to see you arm chair station managers complain... ya station management cares mostly about money thats why they haven't upgraded to hd..but you guys realize its not its the flip of a switch to go from sd to hd...also these stations don't make nearly as much as you think they do.
post #2164 of 2164 Old Yesterday, 02:20 PM

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by peoria555 View Post
As someone whos worked at both wmbd and week it makes me laugh to see you arm chair station managers complain... ya station management cares mostly about money thats why they haven't upgraded to hd..but you guys realize its not its the flip of a switch to go from sd to hd...also these stations don't make nearly as much as you think they do.
Are you Mark DeSantis incognito? I know mid-market stations don't make a ton of cash, and I know it cost 1~2 million easily, mere pocket change compared to what Nexstar shells out to buy more and more stations. My point is Peoria is one of the very few mid-sized markets that lacks a single station with an HD newscast. There are several markets even smaller and poorer than Peoria with at least one, and in some cases, 3 independent news operations broadcasting in HD.

Quincy Newspapers originally wanted to control WHOI once they get WEEK, but Sinclair announces they will break terminate the JSA within 9 months of WEEK's ownership transfer to Quincy Newspapers. Seems to me, as I have been suspecting for quite some time, Sinclair is wanting to revamp either the WHOI or WYZZ studios for their own independent news operation. WEEK will likely upgrade to HD within a year after being acquired by Quincy Newspapers. All other Quincy stations are broadcasting local news in HD from what I can tell. And hopefully this will light a fire under Nexstar to upgrade WMBD, but I have a sneaking suspicion WMBD's local news will eventually be farmed out to WCIA. If they weren't giving up, I would think they would have at least made the push to digital widescreen by now. Even KHQA has been broadcasting in digital widescreen.

It seems all I get on here are excuses for the poorest stations in the nation to continue their poor status. Look beyond Peoria and one can see how atypical it is for a market the size of Peoria to not have a single station fully transformed this late in time. Yes, it's 2014 for crying out loud. Wake up Peoria! Sure, Granite has no money, but there's no excuse for Nexstar's neglect of WMBD.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page