Peoria, IL - HDTV - Page 75 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #2221 of 2236 Old 05-05-2015, 05:19 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 11
BREAKING NEWS WMBD WILL BE BROADCASTING IN HD WITH THEIR NEWSCAST THIS THURSDAY AT NOON.

there is a video showing on wmbd facebook page showing they will be broadcasting in hd wow take that week i wonder what week will do next . WYZZ will be broadcasting in HD thursday night
allen bluegrass

Last edited by bluegras; 05-05-2015 at 07:25 PM. Reason: needed to
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2222 of 2236 Old 05-05-2015, 10:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegras View Post
BREAKING NEWS WMBD WILL BE BROADCASTING IN HD WITH THEIR NEWSCAST THIS THURSDAY AT NOON.

there is a video showing on wmbd facebook page showing they will be broadcasting in hd wow take that week i wonder what week will do next .
WYZZ will be broadcasting in HD thursday night
allen bluegrass
I supect JokinJer hasn't responded yet, because he probably just had a heart attack reading that! LOL!

One thing: their Facebook post had a hash tag of "#finally". As I suspected, THEY wanted to be in HD a long time ago, but couldn't share that sentiment with us. But a tour of their facility in that video is great. That switcher is fantastic, and with 2015 equipment, it's going to look great. And no more hum in the audio.

Gilbert
post #2223 of 2236 Old 05-05-2015, 10:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebenste View Post
I supect JokinJer hasn't responded yet, because he probably just had a heart attack reading that! LOL!

One thing: their Facebook post had a hash tag of "#finally". As I suspected, THEY wanted to be in HD a long time ago, but couldn't share that sentiment with us. But a tour of their facility in that video is great. That switcher is fantastic, and with 2015 equipment, it's going to look great. And no more hum in the audio.
Maybe they cold do this cold open Wednesday night, for old time's sake:

http://www.fuzzymemories.tv/#videoclip-4737

Gilbert
post #2224 of 2236 Old 05-06-2015, 04:55 AM

maybe i gave him a heartache when he read my post.it happen all tommorow i wonder what week/whoi will do now.they might as well switch to hd also.
post #2225 of 2236 Old 05-06-2015, 06:34 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 12
LOL guys I was healthy yesterday, biking 30 miles. But I spend today in the hospital suffering a major heart attack after hearing the exciting news. J/K Nothing that extreme, but I will say this much, I'm wound after getting almost no sleep. haha

I waited years to see just one Peoria station make the move into the 20th century, and now it is finally happening. I can't believe it. Unfortunately, I won't be able to see it in HD here in Galesburg unless I can get the old UHF antenna overhauled tomorrow. It's a 1964 antenna with an original twin-lead cable that I want to replace with coax cable, which I have plenty of. But even if I can't watch it in HD the first day, I'll still watch it on cable to see what they have to say.

I suspected this as soon as they got their new WSI system, but I lost hope soon after as there were no other signs. But given all the recent changes that started in April, I almost knew what was afoot. But I didn't know how the timing would go. Since they got new weather graphics several months ago, I suspected every upgrade would arrive at different times. The set will debut a week later than I suspected, but the HD broadcasts will debut a few months earlier than I suspected. It's exciting to see the rest of the package all debut at once!

I'm happy for them. I know the local people have wanted it for a while, but Nexstar was quite slow and uncertain with their plans. Many people left WMBD for WEEK because of the 4:3 broadcast. I even know somebody who once was faithful to WMBD switch to WEEK because of this, the turnover (notably the departure of Marcus Bailey) and all their technical problems. The last 2 months were especially painful at WMBD. But now, I bet they will gain everybody they have lost...and then some. And hopefully this will put an end to the other technical glitches that have been plaguing them. And hopefully the new syndicated programming equipment arrived with the switchboard, or is on it's way soon.

I was the main troll on WMBD's Facebook page, but there were several others. WEEK didn't have a huge trolling problem as many automatically assumed they were in HD simply because of their widescreen capability. But now, the difference will be night & day. With WEEK's turnover now getting almost as bad as WMBD, I can't see WEEK holding the lead much longer without a drastic makeover. And though nothing will probably happen under Granite control (only 3 of their stations ever went to HD newscasts) due to their huge debt load, I had to troll their manager one last time. I asked him how it felt to be the manager of a #1-rated NBC affilate and still beaten to the punch to an HD newscast by a Nexstar affiliate. He was rude, dishonest & condescending to me in 2013, so it I couldn't resist one final dig. LOL I'm sure he can't be very happy and they are probably hoping the FCC gets on the ball with the ownership change sooner than ever.

There are people who like the "small town" look (My aunt included), so WEEK will probably still have a following. The Nexstar sets appear overly loud to some people, but most will find them sharp. WEEK's set is fairly sharp, but it's nearly 20 years old and looks a bit small. When Chuck Collins first joined them, my father said it almost looks like the set is too small for him to fit properly.

I'm beginning to wonder now if WEEK may be the station ont he chopping block come the 2017 spectrum incentive auction? Surely not given their popularity, but if they can't find a different owner? I certainly hope not, but at least WMBD seems to have a future now. I've preferred WMBD for years.
post #2226 of 2236 Old 05-06-2015, 07:26 AM

here is something i got from WEEK fron facebook
We are pleased that WMBD is finally entering the digital world. WEEK and WHOI have been broadcasting all programming digitally for the last 10 years. While our local newscasts have been SD 16X9 for all that time, all other programming and commercials have been in High Definition since 2003. We welcome WMBD, finally, to the 21st century.

Allen bluegras
post #2227 of 2236 Old 05-06-2015, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegras View Post
here is something i got from WEEK fron facebook
We are pleased that WMBD is finally entering the digital world. WEEK and WHOI have been broadcasting all programming digitally for the last 10 years. While our local newscasts have been SD 16X9 for all that time, all other programming and commercials have been in High Definition since 2003. We welcome WMBD, finally, to the 21st century.

Allen bluegras
What kind of snake oil are WEEK selling you? I can't get over the outright embellishments they are getting by with.

It is true that they hooked up their HD transmitter in 2003 and were the first commercial station in the Peoria area to do so. However, that did nothing more than give them the ability to relay NBC programming in HD. No other digital capabilities came to WEEK until 2010-2011when they upgraded to show digital widescreen (480p) newscast and HD syndicated programming. HD overlay also came to WEEK at this time. This was all less than 5 years ago, not 10 years ago as they misleadingly claim.

I must also add that WMBD beat WEEK to HD overlay capability by nearly 2 years. HD overlay is the ability to display various crawls and graphics in HD, and also the ability to display them without having to switch their entire programming to SD. Does anybody remember when WEEK had to continue flipping their entire programming to SD just to show school closings & weather alerts? I'm sure WEEK is depending on everybody forgetting all about that. But I'm one who remembers well. More specifically, I believe WMBD got the overlay capability in 2009 and WEEK/WHOI got it in 2011. This made me think that WMBD was on their way to do further upgrading soon.

So yes, the only thing digital WEEK can rightfully claim as having for a decade is their transmitter, and that is it. Anything else is a bold-faced lie. WMBD was the last in the Peoria market to hook up to an HD transmitter, but that was still nearly a decade ago, passing CBS programming in HD since 2006. So by WEEK's standards, WMBD could also claim to be digital for nearly a decade as well.

WEEK thinks they will keep the lead and therefore they don't think they need to do anything but try and make the station more of a shell than it already is. Granite has invested almost nothing outside of the Ft. Wayne hub in recent years. And the only reason why WEEK is able to broadcast anything more in digital has mostly to do with the upgrades in that hub more than upgrades at the WEEK facility. I still don't understand why they are so arrogant. Everything else about that station just screams lazy as well. Hopefully Peoria will wake up and someday and realize WEEK isn't all that. And when that happens, hopefully WEEK will wake up and get off their high horse, but that won't happen as long as Granite still owns them either way. Anyway, we have WMBD now. LOL

I honestly don't even think WEEK management knows how to run a station. The appear to be oblivious to how 90% of other stations operate. It's a wonder they are still as intact as they are. Granite wanted to outsource some of it's news team so badly. You don't do that to a #1 rated NBC station in a market this size. They should have sold WEEK before creating the hub. How Peoria still continues to give them a strong #1 rating, I'll never know.
brick71 and cielohajames2005 like this.

Last edited by Jokinjer1; 05-07-2015 at 08:56 AM.
post #2228 of 2236 Old 05-19-2015, 02:19 PM

I can't believe how many people mistakenly believe that WEEK newscasts are HD.

It all started in 2010 when an online pundit posted as much without knowing all the facts: http://peoriachronicle.com/2010/07/1...day-now-in-hd/

And when the Journal Star announced WMBD would become the first in the area, at least 3 people wrote things along the lines of "wrong, WEEK has had an HD newscast for years". These people seemed to be blind followers of WEEK and everything DeSantis & co. tell them, so it's hard-telling if/when they will actually check out WMBD to see the difference. I'm sure many have cheap HD sets, such as a certain Sanyo from Wal-Mart which is rated 1080p but doesn't display much better than 480p. And WEEK is counting on almost nobody noticing the difference. WEEK belive it will continue to hold the #1 spot no matter how badly they cut things to the bone.

Anyway, I noticed a WEEK fan who was recently lured to WMBD because of the stark difference. I hope this marks a trend that will bring WMBD to the lead. If not, than WEEK will continue to cut corners as long as they can get by with it. It will be interesting to see how these next 2 years play out. And by the way, my father says WMBD looks very sharp. And my step-mother, who complained about the upgrading, calling it a waste of money and a probable reason for all of their recent technical problems, loves the new look! LOL She argued with me and said she would never be able to tell the difference. But I knew they'd see the difference as they have an LG 65" LED smart tv. And on that same tv really does make WEEK look like a Glendive, Montana station. LOL It's a pity the FCC won't let Quincy take them over.
post #2229 of 2236 Old 05-19-2015, 09:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Let me tell you a little story, Jokinjer...

Once upon a time, about 7 or 8 years ago, WIFR-DT 23.1, the CBS affiliate in Rockford, went digital widescreen for their news. And on my analog set, I had to admit: they looked better than anyone else.
Then one night, I saw them on an HD set, hooked up to an HD box. And lo and behold, they were HD!

...but still calling themselves "digital widescreen".

Why?

Because when you watched them, it became obvious. While their studio cameras were HD, and their weather graphics system was capable of and being broadcast in HD, their field cameras were not. Because of huge compatibility issues, their new HD field cameras couldn't be used for almost a year, sitting in a closet! But finally, they bought new editing equipment and then they could finally use them. And so, they did, and when it happened, then and only then did they promo that they were Rockford's first HD news station.

That's how you do it with class. WEEK, please feel free to take notes.

Gilbert
post #2230 of 2236 Old 05-22-2015, 10:01 AM

LOL but no aspect of WEEK news shows in HD. Though the weather graphics are capable, they still don't. I have heard that WEEK's robotic cameras are capable of 720P, but all is still showing in 480P. And that 720p camera is strange for an NBC station.

WHBF is now all HD. According to one of their employees, they upconverted their field footage to HD form SD from 2010 until the latest Nexstar makeover, which finished the upgrade. I assume all of WMBD's got the full revamp as well.

Isn't the master control a $250,000 project? If a station already spends between 1 and 2 million in upgrades, why not spend the extra 250k and complete it? In this case it's because it's local investments which Granite doesn't like to do. The Weather graphics system installed in 2010 became the last major investment locally at the station. Everything else is installed at the hub. The recorders and players for the syndicated programming are all in the Ft. Wayne hub so they can simply pass the syndicated programming to all connected stations in HD just as Network programming is passed through.

I'll stick with WMBD, they are completely local. As for WEEK, I doubt they will take any notes. If so, they'd have a clue.
post #2231 of 2236 Old 05-25-2015, 05:02 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Now, if WMBD can finish the upgrade. The newscast looks great in full HD. However, syndicated programming and some commercials (especially those commercials for the local newscast) look terrible. When the full upgrade is completed then and only then will WMBD (and WYZZ) for that matter blow WEEK/WHOI out of the water (in my opinion).
post #2232 of 2236 Old 06-01-2015, 04:10 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Dispute with Granite forces WEEK off Mediacom cable

WEEK is off Mediacom cable systems as of today. Mediacom indicates Granite is demanding twice as much as the old contract. This affects other Mediacom markets of Ft. Wayne and Duluth. This does not affect WHOI or WAOE. Guess some new eyes may be trying WMBD news for a while

Funny that Mediacom is replacing WEEK with NBCSN to keep a NBC presence on the channel. It's really funny that they have the NBCSN HD signal when they don't even provide it normally, only in SD.
post #2233 of 2236 Old 06-05-2015, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brick71 View Post
Now, if WMBD can finish the upgrade. The newscast looks great in full HD. However, syndicated programming and some commercials (especially those commercials for the local newscast) look terrible. When the full upgrade is completed then and only then will WMBD (and WYZZ) for that matter blow WEEK/WHOI out of the water (in my opinion).
During the first HD newscast, she said something along the lines of "Though it looks like all the construction has been done, we have only started". Also, in a job opening, Nexstar tried to sell how exciting it would be to work at WMBD which is "undergoing a significant technical upgrade INCLUDING an imminent HD news launch. Which makes me think they are working on more than just the HD newscast. And they're can't be much more left than to upgrade the recording and playback equipment necessary to relay syndicated programming in HD. LOL yeah, HD news promos shown in sd will probably cause some viewers to doubt their news is actually in HD. Hopefully that upgrade is in place within the next few months. I know they bragged about being one of the first stations to have this digital editing equipment that uses cards back in 2006. So I have to wonder if they don't already have some of the main pieces. Perhaps it is now just a matter of running new wires in between? I've never toured the facility so I can only speculate on where they are based on what I've heard and seen throughout the years.
post #2234 of 2236 Old 06-05-2015, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brick71 View Post
During the first HD newscast, she said something along the lines of "Though it looks like all the construction has been done, we have only started". Also, in a job opening, Nexstar tried to sell how exciting it would be to work at WMBD which is "undergoing a significant technical upgrade INCLUDING an imminent HD news launch. Which makes me think they are working on more than just the HD newscast. And they're can't be much more left than to upgrade the recording and playback equipment necessary to relay syndicated programming in HD. LOL yeah, HD news promos shown in sd will probably cause some viewers to doubt their news is actually in HD. Hopefully that upgrade is in place within the next few months. I know they bragged about being one of the first stations to have this digital editing equipment that uses cards back in 2006. So I have to wonder if they don't already have some of the main pieces. Perhaps it is now just a matter of running new wires in between? I've never toured the facility so I can only speculate on where they are based on what I've heard and seen throughout the years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka22 View Post
WEEK is off Mediacom cable systems as of today. Mediacom indicates Granite is demanding twice as much as the old contract. This affects other Mediacom markets of Ft. Wayne and Duluth. This does not affect WHOI or WAOE. Guess some new eyes may be trying WMBD news for a while

Funny that Mediacom is replacing WEEK with NBCSN to keep a NBC presence on the channel. It's really funny that they have the NBCSN HD signal when they don't even provide it normally, only in SD.
I'm pretty much anti-cable company just as much as I'm anti-Granite. So I don't really know who is more to blame here. All I know is this wouldn't be happening if the FCC would quit dragging their feet on Granite's sale to Quincy. now 6 months have passed since the re-writing of the deal, and the deal should have only taken 3 to 4 months to be approved. Quincy plans on spending $ 4.5 million on WEEK alone. But instead, perhaps we'll see WEEK go dark next year. The longer Granite owns them, the bleaker things will become. I know Granite has no money, but given the fact they are in their current shape due to some of the poorest decisions in broadcast history, they certainly don't deserve the huge retrans revenue they want to charge. Nor are their stations valued enough to warrant it. I'm sure they would only suck the money in and pocket it rather than putting an ounce of investment into their stations.

On the other hand, cable companies are unbelievably greedy. I'm sure Mediacom could offer a lot more than they do.

People complain about retrans fees and how cable companies shouldn't be able to charge extra for content that is provided over the air for free. However, Cable companies are still charging extra and HD packages, now over a decade later, and charging ridiculous amounts for PVR services, which used to be accomplished by setting the timer on a VCR. There's enough blame to go around, as well as greed. But hopefully it gets resolved soon.
post #2235 of 2236 Old 07-24-2015, 09:26 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
WTVP PBS - the bug has come

I'm not sure for how long, but WTVP (PBS-Peoria) now has a constant bug. I am so disappointed that they have switched to this rather than the approach of showing their logo (even in bad color) occasionally.

Just having a constant bug is bad enough, but their implementation is terrible:
-- it looks to be placed for 4x3 and it is high up on the screen totally getting in the way of the picture. More to the center of the screen than almost any other channel as I just flipped through them.
-- it is big and the solid parts of the swoop are so unnecessary

This bug, which I know almost all others have done for years, so distracts and frustrates me with PBS programming.
post #2236 of 2236 Old Today, 07:18 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
WYZZ has replaced zuus country with get tv on 43.3.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception