Peoria, IL - HDTV - Page 76 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!


Forum Jump: 
 3Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #2251 of 2274 Old 11-02-2015, 04:20 PM
Member
 
eureka22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Eureka, IL
Posts: 31
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
New subchannel on WHOI

Sinclair owned WHOI started broadcasting Sinclair owned Comet TV on 19.3 on Halloween. It's Sci-Fi oriented with several versions of the Stargate franchise and The Outer Limits along with some cheese such as Johnny Sokko and his Flying Robot on weekend mornings.

I wonder if this will degrade the TWO HD channels on 19.1 and 19.2. Has the tech advanced where this is not the problem I remember hearing it was at the start of digital?
eureka22 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2252 of 2274 Old 11-02-2015, 04:47 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1
At 2:46pm this afternoon (Nov. 2), Quincy Newspapers released a story on the website of the Quincy Herald-Whig that the papers have taken control of WEEK, Peoria, WBJR and WBJG from Granite, and WPTA from Malara.
From the story: "These stations have good leadership and staff, but they need a capital infusion so they can do the job even better, and that's where we can really help," QNI President and CEO Ralph M. Oakley said.
Let's hope the big bucks are coming SOON!
cielohajames2005 likes this.
chipmosley is offline  
post #2253 of 2274 Old 11-02-2015, 04:52 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1
The announcement was posted on the WEEK-TV website at 5:28pm this evening. The quote from the above story was not included in the press release posted on the station's website.
chipmosley is offline  
post #2254 of 2274 Old 11-02-2015, 04:57 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegras View Post
some of their syndicated programming on wyzz and wmbd is not in hd it is stretchvision the commericials are not in hd yet.
I was wondering why a lot of stuff was letterboxed. The two stations started doing it last Thursday and the change was notable.
chipmosley is offline  
post #2255 of 2274 Old 11-02-2015, 05:35 PM
Member
 
bluegras's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 133
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by chipmosley View Post
I was wondering why a lot of stuff was letterboxed. The two stations started doing it last Thursday and the change was notable.
stretchovision looks horrible on those two channels they both need to show the synidicated programming and commercials in hd.with the money coming in week does not that mean we could see WEEK go with their newscasts to HD.WMBD is kicking their butt with them being the first ones to show their newscasts in hd.
bluegras is offline  
post #2256 of 2274 Old 12-24-2015, 04:40 PM
Member
 
eureka22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Eureka, IL
Posts: 31
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
It looks like Santa visited WEEK early and gave them a WSI MAX weather graphics system. Both WEEK and WHOI are using it with separate templates for each. I'm a bit surprised since both have live morning shows so I would think sharing one box would be a bit of a logistical nightmare. Wasn't that why WEEK had the Cinema Live and WHOI had the separate Galileo?
eureka22 is offline  
post #2257 of 2274 Old 12-24-2015, 04:43 PM
Member
 
bluegras's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 133
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 11
when is week and whoi going to finally broadcast their news in HD
bluegras is offline  
post #2258 of 2274 Old 12-24-2015, 05:12 PM
Member
 
eureka22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Eureka, IL
Posts: 31
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
If I recall the Quincy Newspaper purchase of WEEK requires them to end the agreement with WHOI within nine months of the sale. If that's correct WHOI (Sinclair) will have to build a whole news operation from scratch. That would be HD by default. I would not think WEEK would still try to pass off 'digital widescreen' as being the same as HD and make the switch before the summer 2016 deadline. This would be using common sense which means it won't happen
eureka22 is offline  
post #2259 of 2274 Old 12-25-2015, 09:38 PM
Member
 
Jokinjer1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 164
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 12
It was Sinclair, owners of WHOI, who announced they would be cutting ties with WEEK within 9 months of Quincy's takeover. Their decision came early in 2014, soon after Granite's sale was announced, and, I think just before the FCC rules changed.

I've said it several times that Sinclair has a TON of financial backing unlike any of WHOI's previous owners. They also have a conservative slant to their newscasts and they love having their voices heard. Yet Peoria is the only TV market where there's a Sinclair presence without a newscast directly produced by Sinclair.

I'm thinking Sinclair may very well want to resurrect the HOI news studios once again. Or pipe it in from WICS at the very least, or a mixture of both.

I believe all of the Quincy Newspapers stations were in HD before they bought the Granite Stations. Quincy has a reputation for above-average news productions. That being said, I'm sure they are already working on an HD upgrade at the studios, though I can't confirm it.

The weather graphics upgrade is the first sign of major investment I've seen from the new owners, and it came pretty fast. Though I could swear it was weather central, but I am beginning to have a hard time telling the 2 apart. They both merged and they are the leaders in the industry.

This comes as Accu Weather is partnering with Baron Services for use of their VIPIR radar, which may finally move Accu Weather up close to WSI & Weather Central. Perhaps we'll see that new product on HOI News HD and compare.

There's no doubt we will see HD newscasts on all 3 Peoria stations by Summer. I'm thinking possibly as quick as February sweeps, thought that may be a little tricky as things take time.

The big question will be whether HOI news will be local, and if so, how local. And will WMBD & WHOI be broadcasting syndicated programming in HD? Sinclair has to make the changes. And I keep hoping WMBD's stretch-0-vision is a short-lived transition to HD syndicated programming. It makes Vanna White look like she has gained a little weight. If a year goes by, I guess we could send a copy of WMBD's Wheel broadcast to Vanna in hopes she will complain to the right people.

P.S. Going from Accu Weather Galilio to WSI MAX is probably like whiplash for WHOI fans. I bet a few jaws dropped!

Last edited by Jokinjer1; 12-26-2015 at 06:58 PM.
Jokinjer1 is offline  
post #2260 of 2274 Old 12-26-2015, 07:00 PM
Member
 
Jokinjer1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 164
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 12
LOL I guess it is WSI. I can tell by the high pressure and low pressure circles.
Jokinjer1 is offline  
post #2261 of 2274 Old 12-27-2015, 10:18 AM
Member
 
TimfromSpfdIL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Springfield, IL
Posts: 65
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Anyone on this board still use newspaper TV inserts, including that of the Peoria Journal Star? The JS moved their TV insert from Saturday to Sunday's paper starting this week with the nationally syndicated "TV Times" magazine format. (The State Journal-Register, the JS's fellow Gatehouse publication, switched their TV section to this new format 2 Sundays ago). However, it's only available for home delivery subscribers and not in the newspapers sold in stores, gas stations, etc.--and also an excuse for the JS to raise their subscription rates.

Anyone here get the Journal Star home delivered, and if so, what's your opinion on the TV Times magazine? I haven't seen the Springfield version of it as I only read the SJ-R via E-edition, but it's supposed to be a far superior product, including listings, than the old inserts (claiming at least 100 channels of listings, but that's mostly cable networks). Are the main Peoria stations still the only OTA stations listed in the guide, or did local subchannels' listings-- or perhaps considering the wide circulation area of the Journal Star, selected out-of-market channels (e.g., Quad Cities, Quincy, Springfield, Champaign) get added?

http://www.pjstar.com/news/20151226/...s-new-tv-times
TimfromSpfdIL is offline  
post #2262 of 2274 Old 12-27-2015, 02:48 PM
AVS Special Member
 
zaphod7501's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Peoria Illinois
Posts: 2,044
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Well, it is slick; and localized for Peoria only. The CW (technically a subchannel, I suppose) is now listed as a broadcast station but none of the other subs. Lots of cable channels added so that each evening takes two full pages to display. No quick checking of listings each day. Lots of pages to flip through. It's way too "busy" for me but maybe it'll grow on me.

Biggest loss for me is the little (N) that indicated if a program was new, as opposed to a rerun.

Sturgeon's Law: "Nothing is always absolutely so."
Sturgeons Revelation: "Ninety percent of everything is crud."
My Thoughts: "A reasoned argument must share some basic common points."
zaphod7501 is offline  
post #2263 of 2274 Old 12-27-2015, 03:31 PM
Member
 
Jokinjer1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 164
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Here's the link to when Sinclair first announced they were breaking off the WHOI/WEEK agreement. It was from December 2013, which is even earlier than I had remembered. The Quincy acquisition of WEEK was first made public in Feburary 2014. The FCC changed the rules in late-March, 2014. See the link here:

http://rbr.com/sinclair-wont-renew-w...n-two-markets/

So yeah, it was Sinclair, not the FCC, who initially wanted to take back WHOI from WEEK. A local news article from this year also made the same error, reporting it was the FCC. As for WEEK/WAOE, that probably did have everything to do with the FCC. And I found that unfortunate because WAOE is a minor station who didn't have their own news to begin with. WEEK's broadcasts helped to put WAOE on the map. Perhaps that will return soon.
Jokinjer1 is offline  
post #2264 of 2274 Old 12-28-2015, 12:14 PM
Member
 
Jokinjer1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 164
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Here's one last thing I have to say, though it will probably fall of deaf ears.

In 2007, WHOI bought a WSI system that was used on all newscasts until the WEEK takeover. And even after the marger, for a short time, they continued to use it on "Good Morning HOI" before getting the hand-me-down Galilio. Chuck Collins himself told me WHOI's WSI system was licences strictly for use at the WHOI studios and couldn't simply be dragged over to WEEK.

Perhaps the WSI graphics we are seeing on WHOI now were purchased by Sinclair themselves and are hooked up in the WHOI studio, which would suggest a revamped WHOI studios could be well underway. Just a thought. I could be wrong.
Jokinjer1 is offline  
post #2265 of 2274 Old 01-10-2016, 02:12 PM
Member
 
Dilbert12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 77
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
WYZZ pixelation

For some reason, during live sporting events, I get a lot of "interference" in the form of pixelation on WYZZ. I get this on no other channels. I am watching via D* but I have 90's for signal strengths. I was wondering if others were experiencing this with D* or cable before I further investigate my system.

Thanks
Dilbert12 is offline  
post #2266 of 2274 Old 01-13-2016, 03:31 PM
Member
 
TimfromSpfdIL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Springfield, IL
Posts: 65
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Today's Journal Star story concerning the effects of the upcoming spectrum auction on WTVP (RF 46, virtual 47).

http://www.pjstar.com/news/20160112/...ic-tv-station-
TimfromSpfdIL is offline  
post #2267 of 2274 Old 02-26-2016, 08:41 AM
Member
 
Jokinjer1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 164
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I wish somebody knew if/when:

1. the WHOI studios ramps back up again.
2. WEEK finally upgrades their newscast to HD
3. WMBD finally broadcasts syndicated programming in HD instead of fatvision.

I've pretty much stayed out of it lately, but others have asked and received no response. WEEK used to respond to such questions. There has also been very little to no mention of these 3 stations anywhere of late. Will we have to wait clear until the end of summer (9 month period after Quincy's consummation) to know anything? As for WHOI I'm not sure they would want to purposely wait until the last minute and risk not getting an extension. Also, Sinclair announced first that they wanted to end the SSA with WEEK. So one would think the WHOI would be ready to make it's move anytime. However, if Quincy bought a WSI MAX specificially for WHOI, than who knows what the next move is. If nothing else happens, WHOI is already better off under Quincy than it was under Granite.
Jokinjer1 is offline  
post #2268 of 2274 Old 02-26-2016, 08:52 AM
Member
 
bluegras's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 133
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jokinjer1 View Post
I wish somebody knew if/when:

1. the WHOI studios ramps back up again.
2. WEEK finally upgrades their newscast to HD
3. WMBD finally broadcasts syndicated programming in HD instead of fatvision.

I've pretty much stayed out of it lately, but others have asked and received no response. WEEK used to respond to such questions. There has also been very little to no mention of these 3 stations anywhere of late. Will we have to wait clear until the end of summer (9 month period after Quincy's consummation) to know anything? As for WHOI I'm not sure they would want to purposely wait until the last minute and risk not getting an extension. Also, Sinclair announced first that they wanted to end the SSA with WEEK. So one would think the WHOI would be ready to make it's move anytime. However, if Quincy bought a WSI MAX specificially for WHOI, than who knows what the next move is. If nothing else happens, WHOI is already better off under Quincy than it was under Granite.
also wyzz is also stretchvision on channel 43 i too wish there was more syndicated hd programming on wyzz and wmbd also.and week needs to be broadcasting their newscats also in hd.
bluegras is offline  
post #2269 of 2274 Old 02-29-2016, 09:27 AM
Member
 
Jokinjer1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 164
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I just learned according to WMBD's response to a guest comment on their Facebook page that they are indeed working on HD syndicated program and commercial capability as we speak. Though they're not sure when they will be finished, they did say possibly by summer. I was so shocked to actually see WMBD respond to a technical question, especially on a public thread. Now I had been thinking they were probably working on it, but it seems to take a long time. Glad to get a confirmation they are indeed working on it. If WEEK makes no changes before summer, than they will soon have nothing on WMBD. WMBD will be fully up to date.

WEEK used to respond to technical questions, though their answered weren't always honest. But now, they seem to have changed their policy of late and they seem to be ignoring people like WMBD usually does. Before WMBD converted their newscast to HD, nobody in the market really knew what an HD newscast looked like. That being said, I was the only one getting on WEEK to upgrade. Others assumed they already were in HD. But now that WMBD news is in HD, other people have stepped up their complaints to WEEK. Given Quincy's reputation for above average stations, I would be extremely surprised if they just left WEEK the way they are. Yet it really makes no sense for them to be remaining silent about it. It's not like they would be keeping silent for competitive purposes...as the competition has already made the change! But I'm almost positive news 25 will make the change by year's end, if not summer. But one most also keep in mind that Quincy acquired several granite stations and their could be a delay if they decide work on one or few stations at a time instead of all stations at once.

I'm sure we'll know something about HOI News's fate anytime between now & August, unless Quincy and Sinclair are able to work out something with each other, and with the FCC. Or an extension is granted. Along with News 25's future upgrades, the future of HOI news has been kept insanely quiet.
Jokinjer1 is offline  
post #2270 of 2274 Old 02-29-2016, 01:43 PM
Member
 
bluegras's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 133
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jokinjer1 View Post
I just learned according to WMBD's response to a guest comment on their Facebook page that they are indeed working on HD syndicated program and commercial capability as we speak. Though they're not sure when they will be finished, they did say possibly by summer. I was so shocked to actually see WMBD respond to a technical question, especially on a public thread. Now I had been thinking they were probably working on it, but it seems to take a long time. Glad to get a confirmation they are indeed working on it. If WEEK makes no changes before summer, than they will soon have nothing on WMBD. WMBD will be fully up to date.

WEEK used to respond to technical questions, though their answered weren't always honest. But now, they seem to have changed their policy of late and they seem to be ignoring people like WMBD usually does. Before WMBD converted their newscast to HD, nobody in the market really knew what an HD newscast looked like. That being said, I was the only one getting on WEEK to upgrade. Others assumed they already were in HD. But now that WMBD news is in HD, other people have stepped up their complaints to WEEK. Given Quincy's reputation for above average stations, I would be extremely surprised if they just left WEEK the way they are. Yet it really makes no sense for them to be remaining silent about it. It's not like they would be keeping silent for competitive purposes...as the competition has already made the change! But I'm almost positive news 25 will make the change by year's end, if not summer. But one most also keep in mind that Quincy acquired several granite stations and their could be a delay if they decide work on one or few stations at a time instead of all stations at once.

I'm sure we'll know something about HOI News's fate anytime between now & August, unless Quincy and Sinclair are able to work out something with each other, and with the FCC. Or an extension is granted. Along with News 25's future upgrades, the future of HOI news has been kept insanely quiet.
i posted the question on their facebook page and i was wondering what was going on both wyzz and wmbd.
bluegras is offline  
post #2271 of 2274 Old 02-29-2016, 04:42 PM
Member
 
Jokinjer1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 164
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegras View Post
i posted the question on their facebook page and i was wondering what was going on both wyzz and wmbd.
Oh okay. I didn't make the connection. LOL I'm pretty sure WYZZ will also gain the capability at the same time. Since WMBD operates them, I'm pretty sure their signals pass through WMBD.

I've heard that all syndicated programming on WEEK passes through the Ft. Wayne control hub, WPTA, along with the same on every other station on that hub, hence the reason they've had the capability these past 5 years. It makes sense being as Granite was making little to no local investments at their individual stations since 2006.
Jokinjer1 is offline  
post #2272 of 2274 Old 03-16-2016, 08:53 AM
Member
 
Jokinjer1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 164
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I have to hand it to WMBD and WEEK for such an awesome severe weather coverage. I still think WMBD has the edge when it comes to staff, but both have the exact same model of weather system. The street-level mapping and the velocity tool make all the difference. They make the presentations very pin-point and crystal-clear.

The Peoria area was rather late to getting these tools. WMBD actually had some primitive forms of these tools back in the 1990's which eventually disappeared. From that point onward, our stations had cheesy severe weather coverage until WHOI's street-level mapping in 2007, which was cut short by WEEK management in 2009. Than we actually had the AccuWeather Galileo on all 3 stations for a while. Yuck! WMBD became serious in 2010 and was our first station to get all the tools. WEEK our overrated leader, was VERY late to the game, getting their very first such system only months ago. Now it's state-of-the-art WSI Max graphics on all 3 Peoria stations! I can't fault either one for their look anymore.

I'm certainly hoping though that WEEK follows through and updates the rest of their station soon. But if not, I wish they would at least get rid of their "Now...presented in digital widescreen" saying. It can't be fooling very many viewers into thinking they're anything over WMBD news. But than again, look at who some of our presidential candidates are! If they want to keep touting digital widescreen, I wish they'd at least get rid of the "now" part. It just sounds bad. They've been doing it since 2010 and it is just another thing that makes their news presentation seem so stagnant and stale.
Jokinjer1 is offline  
post #2273 of 2274 Old 04-15-2016, 06:35 AM
Senior Member
 
ENGjas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 204
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jokinjer1 View Post
I have to hand it to WMBD and WEEK for such an awesome severe weather coverage. I still think WMBD has the edge when it comes to staff, but both have the exact same model of weather system. The street-level mapping and the velocity tool make all the difference. They make the presentations very pin-point and crystal-clear.

The Peoria area was rather late to getting these tools. WMBD actually had some primitive forms of these tools back in the 1990's which eventually disappeared. From that point onward, our stations had cheesy severe weather coverage until WHOI's street-level mapping in 2007, which was cut short by WEEK management in 2009. Than we actually had the AccuWeather Galileo on all 3 stations for a while. Yuck! WMBD became serious in 2010 and was our first station to get all the tools. WEEK our overrated leader, was VERY late to the game, getting their very first such system only months ago. Now it's state-of-the-art WSI Max graphics on all 3 Peoria stations! I can't fault either one for their look anymore.

I'm certainly hoping though that WEEK follows through and updates the rest of their station soon. But if not, I wish they would at least get rid of their "Now...presented in digital widescreen" saying. It can't be fooling very many viewers into thinking they're anything over WMBD news. But than again, look at who some of our presidential candidates are! If they want to keep touting digital widescreen, I wish they'd at least get rid of the "now" part. It just sounds bad. They've been doing it since 2010 and it is just another thing that makes their news presentation seem so stagnant and stale.
There is construction going on currently at the WEEK studios. They should have HD news sometime late summer.

Comments are my own and not that of my employer.
ENGjas is offline  
post #2274 of 2274 Old 04-19-2016, 09:16 PM
Member
 
Jokinjer1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 164
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by ENGjas View Post
There is construction going on currently at the WEEK studios. They should have HD news sometime late summer.
Thanks for sharing. that's wonderful news. I kept thinking Quincy would almost immediately jump on it, but they were being too quiet. I don't see the point in them not answering people who are asking them about it when their competition has been besting them for over a year now.

With the possibility of WMBD (and probably WYZZ) showing syndicating programming in HD early in the summer if all goes well, This will make both WMBD and WEEK full HD stations across the board this summer.

Now the only mystery is what will be happening with WHOI.
Jokinjer1 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

taboola here


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off