7Likes

post #2311 of 2340 Old 12-15-2016, 07:21 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by dishrich View Post
WOW, just had a look at it down here myself...pretty amazing to see (two) 720p AND a 1080i streams on ONE station!
And I thought it was amazing when WCIX-49 started broadcasting TWO 1080i & two 480i streams! (WCIA-3 is doing the same, of course)
I remember several years back when WLS in Chicago started doing two 720p streams, and that was cutting edge then. Fast forward to WCIA/WCIX doing the same with two 1080i streams, both of smooth quality even with two more SD subs, which also amazed me still. When WEEK squeezed in the CW, I felt that a similar compression was a distant possibility given that the two mains are only a 1080i plus a 720p, but I wasn't holding my breath on it, and I am really surprised they ended up doing it. Granted, the compression artifacts are there, but it is still light years ahead of the SD, and it also gives some hope to any of the other CW Plus -3/4 subchannel affiliates out there (if their stations are willing to spend the money).

Last edited by longwong; 12-15-2016 at 07:27 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2312 of 2340 Old 12-20-2016, 02:54 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Steve Tarter at the Journal Star is reporting that WTVP is planning to merge the World and Create subchannels onto 47.3, with PBS Kids taking over 47.2 full-time.

http://www.pjstar.com/news/20161220/...pbs-kids-shows
post #2313 of 2340 Old 01-18-2017, 09:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Looks like DISH added your local CW (25.3) in HD today

post #2314 of 2340 Old 01-24-2017, 05:57 PM

Both WTVP 47.2 and WILL 12.2 are now PBS Kids.

Each station also has the same Create+World combined channel on 47.3 / 12.3; Create is from 5AM-5PM, and World is from 5PM-5AM.
post #2315 of 2340 Old 03-04-2017, 05:45 AM

Because of the spectrum auction (repacking), WTVP (virtual 47, RF 46) has been awarded RF 35 for their new assignment. According to RabbitEars.info, RF 35 is currently one of those DTV America allocations for Peoria (but with virtual 10). PJStar story:

http://www.pjstar.com/news/20170303/...-from-47-to-35

From the article, it appears that WTVP hasn't closed the door entirely on rebranding themselves as "channel 35."

But IMO they should stay branded as 47--especially with most of the Peoria-Bloomington DMA north of I-74 who could also receive WWTO LaSalle/Chicago on virtual 35 but on RF 10, as they transmit from near Starved Rock State Park near Utica (an inverse of the forementioned DTV America assignment for Peoria).

Anyone know if WAOE (RF 39, virtual 59) participated in the spectrum auction, and how they did? What about other Peoria market stations, especially Sinclair and WHOI (it would not surprise me if Sinclair cashed out 'HOI), and perhaps even WWTO (as IIRC TBN was wanting to cash out some of their stations)?
post #2316 of 2340 Old 03-11-2017, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimfromSpfdIL View Post
Anyone know if WAOE (RF 39, virtual 59) participated in the spectrum auction, and how they did? What about other Peoria market stations, especially Sinclair and WHOI (it would not surprise me if Sinclair cashed out 'HOI), and perhaps even WWTO (as IIRC TBN was wanting to cash out some of their stations)?
Well, I guess WHOI (the original, not 25.2) isn't going away for a while. I haven't seen anything updated on RabbitEars yet but according to Zap2It and TitanTV, it appears that Sinclair has brought back channel 19.2 to the market, with TBD (in all its crud-tastic glory). They also put Charge! on 19.3.

19.1 stays in its post-ABC state as Comet.

Anyone know the end date of WYZZ's affilation agreement with Fox? When that time comes, could you see Sinclair deciding to move Fox to WHOI-19.1? (and who knows what happens to WYZZ as a result). I wonder if that might be why Sinclair might be keeping WHOI's lights on.
post #2317 of 2340 Old 03-13-2017, 11:56 AM

Wikipedia also lists the new WHOI subchannels, but 19-2 and 19-3 are still dark.

WHOI in place of WYZZ would be a poor trade off, especially given the latter's 1 million watts and its transmitter location (which makes it the only feasible station for most people in BloNo to receive OTA). If they do have to give up the spectrum in that way, hopefully they can somehow upgrade WHOI in the process.
post #2318 of 2340 Old 03-13-2017, 02:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by longwong View Post
Wikipedia also lists the new WHOI subchannels, but 19-2 and 19-3 are still dark.
Thank you...thought I was loosing my mind that 19.2 & .3 wouldn't come in. Screener also have them in their listings now.

Quote:
If they do have to give up the spectrum in that way, hopefully they can somehow upgrade WHOI in the process.
I can't find the link, but there is something about them, that because when they originally got their license & choose to go with a lower power output, they cannot decide to increase their power at a later time. (I could be wrong on that, especially when the repak comes around)

Last edited by dishrich; 03-13-2017 at 02:42 PM.
post #2319 of 2340 Old 03-13-2017, 04:24 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 858 Post(s)
Liked: 255
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA
http://www.nab.org/repacking/clearinghouse.asp

WHOI and WYZZ (and WAOE) live to see another day.

- Trip
zaphod7501 likes this.

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

post #2320 of 2340 Old 03-13-2017, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip in VA View Post
http://www.nab.org/repacking/clearinghouse.asp

WHOI and WYZZ (and WAOE) live to see another day.

- Trip

Good to know that the repacking isn't going low enough to affect WYZZ on 28.

Other interesting finds on the nab.org website -
WHOI to move to channel 24 - may be a good thing, because on 19 both WUSI and WGN interfere with it. Why they're keeping it going with an upconverted 720p Comet feed is still a mystery...
WAOE also to move to channel 33.
No sign of WTVP yet.
post #2321 of 2340 Old 03-14-2017, 10:02 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Woke up this morning to find WMBD missing from Galesburg's cable channel lineup. It doesn't present as a regular outage either, but a full removal as the dial just goes straight from Comcast 19 to Comcast 21, like a few years ago when Comcast 3 went missing as they removed WHOI from the lineup.

If course, this was just done and I'm sure nobody was notified ahead of time. And I also find it very poor that I googled the internet and still couldn't find any mention as to what is going on.

Galesburg is just one county away from WMBD, so if Comcast did indeed remove them from the Galesburg lineup than the state of cable service is getting quite sad. And I'm sure that's what they did. Since both WMBD and WHBF are both Nexstar CBS stations, they probably chose either or. Does anybody know for sure what happened?
post #2322 of 2340 Old 03-14-2017, 11:16 AM

Well it appears nobody here knows what the hell is going on. I also contacted the station on their Facebook page and they saw the message but chose not to even respond. What poor service from everybody from WMBD to Comcast.
post #2323 of 2340 Old 03-14-2017, 09:51 PM

WMBD finally did respond to me. They had to look into it themselves. After decades of them being carried, Comcast evidentally decided to suddenly dropped them since Galesburg is not in their "designated market", which I find preposterous because they are only one county over.

WHOI was dropped from Comcast's Galesburg lineup a couple of years ago. WEEK and WTVP feeds still remain, but for how long? Comcast is really cutting down the Peoria TV market. And I know they're doing this crap all over the place too, which is also infuriating people elsewhere. But what can you do? Comcast is so big that they can do whatever they please.

Just last week, one of my friends, an older gentleman, was talked into paying his cable bill on the internet. They changed him twice, yet their records don't show it. However, Wells Fargo shows 2 separate payments and acknowledge that twice the money left his account. Yet one tells him to call the other entity. Instead of Wells Fargo and Comcast running him around, he told them to investigate it directly. Over a week has passed and Comcast is still istting on an extra $100.xx of his money. This is just one of countless nightmares stories I can tell about Comcast. They are literally too big to run competently.
post #2324 of 2340 Old 03-14-2017, 10:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
No sign of WTVP yet.
35 per this article
http://www.pjstar.com/news/20170303/...-from-47-to-35
post #2325 of 2340 Old 03-14-2017, 11:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jokinjer1 View Post
WMBD finally did respond to me. They had to look into it themselves. After decades of them being carried, Comcast evidentally decided to suddenly dropped them since Galesburg is not in their "designated market", which I find preposterous because they are only one county over.

WHOI was dropped from Comcast's Galesburg lineup a couple of years ago. WEEK and WTVP feeds still remain, but for how long? Comcast is really cutting down the Peoria TV market. And I know they're doing this crap all over the place too, which is also infuriating people elsewhere.
In fairness to Comcast, (no, I'm NOT a Comcast apologist!) they are NOT the only systems dropping "out of DMA" stations on their systems by a longshot; it's happening all over the country & on many cable systems. I can tell you here locally that Mediacom also dropped ALL the Peoria stations that they used to carry (all 4 or 5 actually) from ALL their systems north of Springfield a year or two ago, that are also 1 country outside our DMA &/or even where Peoria stations are grade B OTA signals. I have relatives in Manhattan, KS (Topeka DMA) with Cox cable, who also dropped the last 2 Kansas City networks a couple year's ago as well.

It may NOT have solely been Comcast's doing; the in-DMA local stations that carry those same nets, may have told Comcast in order to get retrans consent &/or must-carry, they HAD to drop the duplicate out of market nets...NOT that unusual these days, as they obviously do NOT want outside competition of another station carrying that network. So, since Nexstar owns BOTH affiliates as you pointed out, it probably was either - carry ONLY (in market) WHBF for CBS...or you won't get to carry ANY CBS - again, what's Comcast supposed to do???

Another reason for cable to drop these OOM nets; while they might be able to carry these stations by blacking out the duplicate network programming, cable systems are NOT going to go thru the hassle of doing this, for the minimal benefit of carry the remaining programming of those stations; this was the situation on the Manhattan, KS system I mentioned above. (sorry, but while I agree about wanting an "alternative network source" most subs could care less about having the main network programming duplicated on other stations)

Also, except in very rare circumstances, any local stations that are FOX affiliated, are contractually bound by FOX, to NOT to give retrans consent to ANY TV providers OUTSIDE the DMA a local station serves; the cable co. obviously can't do anything about that. Some systems out east in the DMA's surrounding the NYC & Philadelphia DMA's were forced to drop the NYC & Philly FOX affiliates a couple year's ago. AND, when St. Joe, MO (their own DMA) got their own FOX affiliate a couple years ago, again, the cable (& satellite) systems in that DMA were all forced to drop the Kansas City, MO FOX affiliate, that had been carried for years.

Quote:
But what can you do?
Put up an antenna if they are THAT critical to you

Last edited by dishrich; 03-14-2017 at 11:51 PM.
post #2326 of 2340 Old 03-15-2017, 03:48 AM

Quote:

WHOI was dropped from Comcast's Galesburg lineup a couple of years ago. WEEK and WTVP feeds still remain, but for how long? Comcast is really cutting down the Peoria TV market. And I know they're doing this crap all over the place too, which is also infuriating people elsewhere. But what can you do? Comcast is so big that they can do whatever they please.

Just last week, one of my friends, an older gentleman, was talked into paying his cable bill on the internet. They changed him twice, yet their records don't show it. However, Wells Fargo shows 2 separate payments and acknowledge that twice the money left his account. Yet one tells him to call the other entity. Instead of Wells Fargo and Comcast running him around, he told them to investigate it directly. Over a week has passed and Comcast is still istting on an extra $100.xx of his money. This is just one of countless nightmares stories I can tell about Comcast. They are literally too big to run competently.
I wonder if Comcast did the same thing in Lincoln with WMBD (like they also did with WHOI at the same time CC dropped them from Galesburg lineup).
post #2327 of 2340 Old 03-15-2017, 08:37 AM

Quote:
I wonder if Comcast did the same thing in Lincoln with WMBD (like they also did with WHOI at the same time CC dropped them from Galesburg lineup).
I don't know, though I assume so. No wondering why WHOI could no longer survive as they were. It has to be a real blow to the stations that get dropped. I wish the government would force Comcast to carry all OTA stations that are well within the viewing area. In many ways, I wish the entire Comcast entity would either fold or get split up. If they screw up in billing, you have to spend 2 hours on the phone. Oftentimes, you have to call another part of Comcast, which will run you around to yet another part of Comcast. Sometimes, you're even ran around to the number you called in the first place. Comcast is so big that not all of it's divisions seem to talk to each other. One part can say you owe money while another part says nothing is wrong.

Not to mention, the cable wire here once came down and was blocking the neighbor's driveway. It was on a Friday and they didn't consider it an emergency, so Comcast refused to send anybody out to fix it until Tuesday. The neighbors ended up propping the cable up on an 8' latter so they could drive under it. The service here sucks. There's always digital stuttering and skipping, and the internet is on and off half of the time. So when that line was down, the decision was made to have our indoor cable wires checked. But the way Comcast operates, a separate tech had to be called for the inside and outside work. They showed a day apart, and it was the exact same technician! So due to their system, the same technician had to make 2 special runs to the same place. Yeah, that's big corporate efficiency for you. It's just ridiculous for a corporation to get that big and continue to go on operating as horribly as they do without any consequences.

Centurylink is about as bad. A friend of mine had a nightmare of a time trying to cancel an extra phone line. It's like the corporations are too stupid for common sense.
post #2328 of 2340 Old 03-15-2017, 10:12 AM

Quote:
In fairness to Comcast, (no, I'm NOT a Comcast apologist!) they are NOT the only systems dropping "out of DMA" stations on their systems by a longshot; it's happening all over the country & on many cable systems. I can tell you here locally that Mediacom also dropped ALL the Peoria stations that they used to carry (all 4 or 5 actually) from ALL their systems north of Springfield a year or two ago, that are also 1 country outside our DMA &/or even where Peoria stations are grade B OTA signals. I have relatives in Manhattan, KS (Topeka DMA) with Cox cable, who also dropped the last 2 Kansas City networks a couple year's ago as well.

It may NOT have solely been Comcast's doing; the in-DMA local stations that carry those same nets, may have told Comcast in order to get retrans consent &/or must-carry, they HAD to drop the duplicate out of market nets...NOT that unusual these days, as they obviously do NOT want outside competition of another station carrying that network. So, since Nexstar owns BOTH affiliates as you pointed out, it probably was either - carry ONLY (in market) WHBF for CBS...or you won't get to carry ANY CBS - again, what's Comcast supposed to do???

Another reason for cable to drop these OOM nets; while they might be able to carry these stations by blacking out the duplicate network programming, cable systems are NOT going to go thru the hassle of doing this, for the minimal benefit of carry the remaining programming of those stations; this was the situation on the Manhattan, KS system I mentioned above. (sorry, but while I agree about wanting an "alternative network source" most subs could care less about having the main network programming duplicated on other stations)

Also, except in very rare circumstances, any local stations that are FOX affiliated, are contractually bound by FOX, to NOT to give retrans consent to ANY TV providers OUTSIDE the DMA a local station serves; the cable co. obviously can't do anything about that. Some systems out east in the DMA's surrounding the NYC & Philadelphia DMA's were forced to drop the NYC & Philly FOX affiliates a couple year's ago. AND, when St. Joe, MO (their own DMA) got their own FOX affiliate a couple years ago, again, the cable (& satellite) systems in that DMA were all forced to drop the Kansas City, MO FOX affiliate, that had been carried for years.

Put up an antenna if they are THAT critical to you
I suspect you're probably right, though I'm still disgusted with Comcast. And I'm quite aware the rules across the network TV realm have also changed in recent years, and not always in the favor of the viewer, which is prime grounds for more disgust. As for putting up an antenna, I thought I had already commented on that here as I have elsewhere. This isn't my house, but there are 2 VHF and 1 UHF antennas that are abandoned with rotten twin-lead cable. One of the cables have actually been cut off at the bottom of the mast. They rise 35' above the ground, which is a nice height. Since the last multi-day cable outage a couple years ago, I have been asking for permission to re-wire the UHF antenna with a balun and some 75-Ohm coaxial cable. Not only would this pull in the Peoria stations, but it would also pull in most of the QC stations as the majority of them now broadcast on the UHF band as well. Nothing against WHBF though as they have improved leaps and bounds over the past few years. I've just always preferred to watch WMBD at noon to know what is happening in Peoria. And I feel that WMBD has some of the best severe weather coverage of anyone. But they all do a good job anymore. Just as long as they don't drop WTVP over here. I believe they are the more dominant PBS influence over Galesburg with WQPT playing second fiddle.
post #2329 of 2340 Old 03-17-2017, 05:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 23
Quote:
I suspect you're probably right, though I'm still disgusted with Comcast. And I'm quite aware the rules across the network TV realm have also changed in recent years, and not always in the favor of the viewer, which is prime grounds for more disgust. As for putting up an antenna, I thought I had already commented on that here as I have elsewhere. This isn't my house, but there are 2 VHF and 1 UHF antennas that are abandoned with rotten twin-lead cable. One of the cables have actually been cut off at the bottom of the mast. They rise 35' above the ground, which is a nice height. Since the last multi-day cable outage a couple years ago, I have been asking for permission to re-wire the UHF antenna with a balun and some 75-Ohm coaxial cable. Not only would this pull in the Peoria stations, but it would also pull in most of the QC stations as the majority of them now broadcast on the UHF band as well. Nothing against WHBF though as they have improved leaps and bounds over the past few years. I've just always preferred to watch WMBD at noon to know what is happening in Peoria. And I feel that WMBD has some of the best severe weather coverage of anyone. But they all do a good job anymore. Just as long as they don't drop WTVP over here. I believe they are the more dominant PBS influence over Galesburg with WQPT playing second fiddle.
Up here in northern Illinois, note where Ogle and Lee counties are, which re the two counties immediately south of Rockford. The Rockford stations 4 years go petitioned Comcast to get rid of ALL Chicago stations in those two counties, and...they took it to the FCC. They won, so they yanked WGN and WTTW off the system as well! A number of people protested and told the Rockford channels they weren't going to watch them. Viewership declined 10% immediately, but I don't know if it has since recovered. Since then, based on protests, WTTW is back on the system.

Of course, for satellite subscribers, those in the far northwest corner of DeKalb county can see the blinking lights of the Rockford Tv transmitters, but they can only see Chicago stations.

Gilbert
post #2330 of 2340 Old 03-17-2017, 07:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebenste View Post
Since then, based on protests, WTTW is back on the system.
Which makes absolutely NO sense why it WAS yanked, since there are NO PBS stations that are in the Rockford DMA...hence why they have always had WTTW & WHA (Wisconsin Public TV) on cable.
No surprised about WGN being yanked, due to SYNDEX issues with all of it's syndicated programs & CW programming (back then)

A friend of mine in Lincoln is going to check & see if Comcast removed any/all of the remaining (3) Peoria stations (he's on sat, so he's checking at his Mom's house)

Last edited by dishrich; 03-17-2017 at 07:58 PM.
post #2331 of 2340 Old 03-18-2017, 10:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 23
Quote:
Quote:
Which makes absolutely NO sense why it WAS yanked, since there are NO PBS stations that are in the Rockford DMA...hence why they have always had WTTW & WHA (Wisconsin Public TV) on cable.
No surprised about WGN being yanked, due to SYNDEX issues with all of it's syndicated programs & CW programming (back then)

A friend of mine in Lincoln is going to check & see if Comcast removed any/all of the remaining (3) Peoria stations (he's on sat, so he's checking at his Mom's house)
The Rockford stations are scared to lose their DMA. They had lost Jo Daveiss county in far northwest Illinois, and then, just 12 miles north, they lost Rock county in southern Wisconsin. Fearing they could lose Boone, Ogle and Lee, and with Peoria losing La Salle county to ever-encroaching Chicago, they demanded Comcast yank the Chicago stations...all of them. True, they might have lost WGN soon anyway due to syndication, but that's debatable since cable TV companies can legally carry two markets. Either way, the backlash was pretty strong: they lost 10% of their audience for the Rockford news shows in a loud protest. WTTW was eventually restored, as was WHA.

In that market, with a proper antenna, you can still get a PBS station. A 15 kw Peoria PBS translator serves Stephenson, Lee and Ogle counties well. Winnebago (Rockford) and Boone (Belvidere) counties are served by WHA (the latter mostly WTTW, though). But I don't know if the viewership losses were permanent.

Gilbert
post #2332 of 2340 Old 06-18-2017, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Anyone on this board still use newspaper TV inserts, including that of the Peoria Journal Star? The JS moved their TV insert from Saturday to Sunday's paper starting this week with the nationally syndicated "TV Times" magazine format. (The State Journal-Register, the JS's fellow Gatehouse publication, switched their TV section to this new format 2 Sundays ago). However, it's only available for home delivery subscribers and not in the newspapers sold in stores, gas stations, etc.--and also an excuse for the JS to raise their subscription rates.

Anyone here get the Journal Star home delivered, and if so, what's your opinion on the TV Times magazine? I haven't seen the Springfield version of it as I only read the SJ-R via E-edition, but it's supposed to be a far superior product, including listings, than the old inserts (claiming at least 100 channels of listings, but that's mostly cable networks). Are the main Peoria stations still the only OTA stations listed in the guide, or did local subchannels' listings-- or perhaps considering the wide circulation area of the Journal Star, selected out-of-market channels (e.g., Quad Cities, Quincy, Springfield, Champaign) get added?

http://www.pjstar.com/news/20151226/...s-new-tv-times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaphod7501 View Post
Well, it is slick; and localized for Peoria only. The CW (technically a subchannel, I suppose) is now listed as a broadcast station but none of the other subs. Lots of cable channels added so that each evening takes two full pages to display. No quick checking of listings each day. Lots of pages to flip through. It's way too "busy" for me but maybe it'll grow on me.

Biggest loss for me is the little (N) that indicated if a program was new, as opposed to a rerun.
I was back in the area for part of the weekend visiting family, and saw today's Journal Star. The publisher had a special column, and among the things he mentioned is that the JS is bailing out of "TV Times" starting next Sunday. Today is the last issue of that tabloid. Next Sunday their old "TV Week" is returning. Supposedly more people wanted the old listings rather than the magazine--and like the old TV week it will be included in retail newspaper sales (and not sold separately).

However, IMO it seemed like the old TV Week, since about the late 80s, was one of the worst local TV inserts for a newspaper with wide circulation as the Journal Star (compared to Galesburg, Bloomington, and the pre-2004 State Journal Register TV insert in Springfield). Only Peoria/Bloomington basic network stations (although the coverage area can stretch from LaSalle to Beardstown and Carthage to almost Pontiac), no subchannels in the digital era, and the extreme basic cable channels. And tiny grid sizes.

Hopefully the revived TV Week will be a vast improvement from its predecessor. Although in the digital era I probably won't hold the lack of out-of-market listings against the JS, it would be nice to see a printed TV insert include local subchannel netlets.

Then the big question for Springfield may be: Will the SJ-R follow the Journal Star's lead and bail out of TV Times soon as well? Or do you think the "people preferring the old format" thing might be just a lie from Gatehouse in favor of returning to an in-house TV insert?
post #2333 of 2340 Old 06-19-2017, 10:39 AM

It never really made sense to me why papers switched to the separate-cost TV Times especially in light of the ballooning prices of the Sunday editions. If they had the foresight to include the TV Times with the paper itself, that might actually justify paying $3+ for the entire thing. That being said, I for one am all for re-inclusion of any weekly TV listing whatsoever in the Sunday papers like the good old days, if only for the value-added angle. Seeing it return in a better quality paper like the Journal Star is good news indeed.

Quote:
I was back in the area for part of the weekend visiting family, and saw today's Journal Star. The publisher had a special column, and among the things he mentioned is that the JS is bailing out of "TV Times" starting next Sunday. Today is the last issue of that tabloid. Next Sunday their old "TV Week" is returning. Supposedly more people wanted the old listings rather than the magazine--and like the old TV week it will be included in retail newspaper sales (and not sold separately).

However, IMO it seemed like the old TV Week, since about the late 80s, was one of the worst local TV inserts for a newspaper with wide circulation as the Journal Star (compared to Galesburg, Bloomington, and the pre-2004 State Journal Register TV insert in Springfield). Only Peoria/Bloomington basic network stations (although the coverage area can stretch from LaSalle to Beardstown and Carthage to almost Pontiac), no subchannels in the digital era, and the extreme basic cable channels. And tiny grid sizes.

Hopefully the revived TV Week will be a vast improvement from its predecessor. Although in the digital era I probably won't hold the lack of out-of-market listings against the JS, it would be nice to see a printed TV insert include local subchannel netlets.

Then the big question for Springfield may be: Will the SJ-R follow the Journal Star's lead and bail out of TV Times soon as well? Or do you think the "people preferring the old format" thing might be just a lie from Gatehouse in favor of returning to an in-house TV insert?
post #2334 of 2340 Old 10-10-2017, 06:25 PM

I'm hearing reports that there's now a 59.3. According to WAOE's website, they're airing Light TV.

Nothing updated yet for this on RabbitEars or on Zap2it's listings (or Wikipedia FWIW), but is shown on WAOE's local listings page:

https://my59.tv/local-listings/
post #2335 of 2340 Old 10-11-2017, 03:46 PM

Quote:
I'm hearing reports that there's now a 59.3. According to WAOE's website, they're airing Light TV.

Nothing updated yet for this on RabbitEars or on Zap2it's listings (or Wikipedia FWIW), but is shown on WAOE's local listings page:

https://my59.tv/local-listings/
59.3 is now indeed Light TV, broadcasting in 4:3 stretched to 16:9.

Antenna TV on 59.2 is also now stretched.

Rabbit Ears also doesn't note this, but 59.1 now has 5.1 audio.

Last edited by longwong; 10-11-2017 at 04:16 PM.
post #2336 of 2340 Old 10-11-2017, 05:24 PM

Quote:

It does now.

- Trip

N4MJC

RabbitEars

post #2337 of 2340 Old 10-11-2017, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip in VA View Post
Quote:

It does now.

- Trip
Wow, I just turned back on my receiver and only two channel indicators now light up for the 59.1 audio... Through last week, I was getting all five to light up. I was watching the X Files all summer with the 5.1 lit up; it initially surprised me and I'd assumed it was permanent. Now it does not look like they kept it after all, but that it may have been due to some sort of tinkering on their end especially since they've now stretched the subchannels.

You may wish to change the station listing back to 2.0. Sorry for the confusion.
post #2338 of 2340 Old 10-11-2017, 11:20 PM

Done. No worries.

- Trip

N4MJC

RabbitEars

post #2339 of 2340 Old 10-13-2017, 01:37 PM
Advanced Member

Anyone know what's going on with WYZZ...they appear to have lost all their PSIP/EPG info stream, my converter just re-scanned it to 28-1 & 28-2 w/no EPG whatsoever...
post #2340 of 2340 Old 10-15-2017, 05:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:
Anyone know what's going on with WYZZ...they appear to have lost all their PSIP/EPG info stream, my converter just re-scanned it to 28-1 & 28-2 w/no EPG whatsoever...
One of my tuners shows it as 28-3 and 28-5. Some still see it as 43-1&3. Someone asked on Facebook and the first reply from WYZZ was "which cable provider are you using?"
https://www.facebook.com/pg/WYZZ.TV/posts/
Seems to back to normal now. No further comments or response from WYZZ.

Sturgeon's Law: "Nothing is always absolutely so."
Sturgeons Revelation: "Ninety percent of everything is crud."
My Thoughts: "A reasoned argument must share some basic common points."

Last edited by zaphod7501; Today at 05:55 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page