Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 3335 Old 01-24-2006, 02:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by golferadam View Post

Why is it that they will have WATM HD but not WWCP? I thought they broadcasted from the same place/were owned by the same people. I guess it has to do with the whole multiplex thing that I don't understand.

This is a bit of a unique situation.

WATM and WWCP have the equipment to receive HD from the network and encode it in a format acceptable to cable companies for distribution.

What WATM and WWCP do not have is a Studio-to-Transmitter Link to transport their SMPTE 310M ATSC streams from the studio to the respective transmitters.

Therefore WATM and WWCP are available to the cable companies who choose to connect to the studio using fiber or microwave.

They are also operated out of the same physical studio and master control.

This doesn't have anything to do with the multiplexing that we're not communicating clearly on.

Sometime we'll have to discuss multiplexing over a few Tonto's at the Darkhorse. After three you might not really care what it is anymore.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 3335 Old 01-24-2006, 02:16 PM
Advanced Member

I forgot to mention that I disconnected my cable connection and scanned for digital channels and did not pick up WPSU. I think I wrote down all the stuff from the diagnostics menu but I don't have it here at work. I was hoping that I might end up incidentally getting WATM HD as I seem to be getting WPSU HD from D&E. However, based on your post it seems like D&E would have to change the way they get WATM for that to happen. Based on my experience with D&E I doubt that will happen but I will still ask them about it.
post #273 of 3335 Old 01-24-2006, 02:24 PM

WATM HD WATM High Definition Broadcast HD (High Definition)
link: http://www.adelphia.com/cable_entert...l_line_ups.cfm
(may not work due to having to enter zip code on previous page)

Now that it is listed anyone have a timetable for when it will be available?
post #274 of 3335 Old 01-26-2006, 12:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slykens View Post

Unless D&E is simply receiving the digital stream and putting it on the wire in QAM I would suggest that the source is the over-the-air transmission as the PSIP data is what causes the TV to see the channels as 3.1, 3.2, and 3.3

Try disconnecting the cable from the wall or the TV and rescan to see if it still picks it up. If it does not see if you can get the TV to tell you how it is receiving it, ie ATSC Channel 15, or QAM Channel ?.

I was messing around with the TV last night so I tried what was suggested. With no cable or antenna connected I was not able to get WPSU. I reconnected the cable and checked the diagnostics on channel 3.1. Here is what I found:

In Band (FAT)
Phy Ch.: 110
Freq. (KHz): 711000
Modulation: QAM256
Errors: 0
SNR(dB): 33
AGC(%): 19

Out of Band(FDC)
Freq. (KHz): 70000
Symbol Rate: 772
Bit Rate (kbps): 1544
SNR(dB): 0

To be perfectly honest, the only thing I can figure out from this is that I am connected to the In band channel. I don't know what the difference between In band and Out of band is. Sorry for all the newb questions but I really do appreciate it because I am learning alot these days.

The reason I ask about WPSU is because if D&E is piping it through, that gives me hope that they may be willing to pipe through some other local networks in digital too.
post #275 of 3335 Old 01-26-2006, 01:03 PM - Thread Starter

It would look to me like they're putting it on the wire. Maybe it is a special arrangement with WPSU. Your information shows it is on RF channel 110, or 711 MHz and is encoded in QAM256. That's certainly not over the air so it has to be coming in on cable.

I'd suggest a call to the local office and seeing if you can talk to a tech there. They'd know better exactly what's going on.
post #276 of 3335 Old 01-26-2006, 04:39 PM

http://www.law.com/jsp/law/LawArticl...=1138183513253

Nice to see the Adelphia sales deal is going so well...
post #277 of 3335 Old 01-27-2006, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjg247 View Post

WATM HD WATM High Definition Broadcast HD (High Definition)
link: http://www.adelphia.com/cable_entert...l_line_ups.cfm
(may not work due to having to enter zip code on previous page)

Now that it is listed anyone have a timetable for when it will be available?

i heard from a guy i work with that the parts watm needs are stuck in customs, with no eta as for when they will finally arrive
post #278 of 3335 Old 01-28-2006, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uefigs139 View Post

i heard from a guy i work with that the parts watm needs are stuck in customs, with no eta as for when they will finally arrive

I just spoke with an Adelphia installer today when he came out to give me a CABLECARD. He said the same thing, that Adelphia will pass WATM whenever they go online.

Apparently the parts are in customs as you said, just figured I would confirm what you heard.
post #279 of 3335 Old 01-28-2006, 02:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by booch View Post

I just spoke with an Adelphia installer today when he came out to give me a CABLECARD. He said the same thing, that Adelphia will pass WATM whenever they go online.

Interesting that they plan to carry WATM as soon as its available but they do not yet carry WWCP which originates from the same row of racks at the same studio.

Grrrr.
post #280 of 3335 Old 01-29-2006, 04:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slykens View Post

Interesting that they plan to carry WATM as soon as its available but they do not yet carry WWCP which originates from the same row of racks at the same studio.

Grrrr.

What does Adelphia carry as their FOX affiliate if they don't carry WWCP?
post #281 of 3335 Old 01-29-2006, 05:51 PM

Quote:

What does Adelphia carry as their FOX affiliate if they don't carry WWCP?

Adelphia does carry WWCP in standard Def.

Slykens is referring to wwcp in HD.
post #282 of 3335 Old 01-29-2006, 10:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyiota View Post

Adelphia does carry WWCP in standard Def.

Slykens is referring to wwcp in HD.

Does that mean WWCP has the equipment in place to broadcast HD?
post #283 of 3335 Old 01-29-2006, 11:14 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Does that mean WWCP has the equipment in place to broadcast HD?

Not to broadbast over the air but to pass HD to cable, yes they do.

They have for over a year now. Adelphia just hasn't made the arrangements to pick it up. My post was expressing surprise that Adelphia would carry WATM in HD from the same exact room that WWCP in HD originates from but not carry WWCP in HD.
post #284 of 3335 Old 01-30-2006, 10:27 AM

Just a shot in the dark:

Does anyone have experience with getting HD in the Indian Lake area? We are served by Adelphia out of Somerset. They claim to not have system capacity to carry HD. Have not tried OTA, but if my experience with cell coverage is indicative, I doubt that works.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.
post #285 of 3335 Old 01-30-2006, 10:37 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpm29 View Post

Does anyone have experience with getting HD in the Indian Lake area? We are served by Adelphia out of Somerset. They claim to not have system capacity to carry HD. Have not tried OTA, but if my experience with cell coverage is indicative, I doubt that works.

No experience for your area but it looks like you're under 40 miles to Altoona and under 20 miles to Johnstown so you should at least have a shot of getting those stations over the air. That doesn't help you get them all in HD as only NBC is passing HD over the air at the moment.

You look to be less than 70 miles from Pittsburgh... If you have any sort of elevation you might want to try receiving the Pittsburgh stations over the air.

You also look to be less than 70 miles to Hagerstown so you might be able to try that direction as well.

Visit antennaweb.org and see what they think you can receive. They're typically pretty conservative and pessimistic tho.

Also www.2150.com/broadcast is a good place to get a list of stations and azimuths within a particular range for your location to test with.

UHF is limited to 60-80 miles depending on your particular situation, at least for reliable reception. Someone here gets WNEP-DT at 110 miles but I think the stars are just aligned properly for him. I can receive WJAC-DT at 69 miles pretty reliably but some people here report not receiving the Altoona stations at 30 miles.

If you can PM me your lat/lon I can get your elevation profile to the various transmitters and see if that helps.
post #286 of 3335 Old 01-30-2006, 06:20 PM

Good news!!! Just spoke with ABC 23 (WATM-DT). The techicans said they have the equpiment ready.. Right now it is hooked up, also will go on LIVE very soon and hopefully this week..
post #287 of 3335 Old 01-31-2006, 08:58 AM
Advanced Member

Last night I decided to scan for digital channels with my OTA antenna and on the cable line. I didn't get anything new OTA (I didn't really expect to). However, when I scanned the cable, I picked up WPSU on a new channel. It was listed as physical channel 111. I think the three channels were 111.3, 111.4, and 111.5, with 111.3 being the HD channel. My other WPSU was still there listed as physical channel 110. They tune in as 3.1, 3.2, and 3.3, with 3.1 being the HD channel. Is this a common occurence if you rescan for new channels? It doesn't seem to make sense. Maybe D&E is doing something on their end working to get WATM-DT online. I can only hope
post #288 of 3335 Old 01-31-2006, 12:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Last night I decided to scan for digital channels with my OTA antenna and on the cable line. I didn't get anything new OTA (I didn't really expect to). However, when I scanned the cable, I picked up WPSU on a new channel. It was listed as physical channel 111. I think the three channels were 111.3, 111.4, and 111.5, with 111.3 being the HD channel. My other WPSU was still there listed as physical channel 110. They tune in as 3.1, 3.2, and 3.3, with 3.1 being the HD channel. Is this a common occurence if you rescan for new channels? It doesn't seem to make sense. Maybe D&E is doing something on their end working to get WATM-DT online. I can only hope

I would guess that it is D&E working on moving the channel or perhaps testing something.

I doubt D&E will pick up WATM-HD as that would require interconnect with either Adelphia (not likely without significant compensation) or Atlantic Broadband or a direct link to the studios in Johnstown.

I could be surprised, however, but D&E's target demographic doesn't seem to be the kind that cares much about HD nor has the equipment to view it.
post #289 of 3335 Old 01-31-2006, 08:08 PM
Advanced Member

Well I guess I don't need to worry about D&E picking up WATM-HD because I am getting it OTA right now!!
Here is what I am getting:

WATM-HD Channel 23.1
WATM-SD Channel 23.2
WWCP-DT Channel 23.3

I have a 1080i tube (KD-30XS955) and the feed is 720p (as ABC HD is), but the State of the Union address looked great. I can't wait until Sunday!!!

Kudos to WATM for getting it online in time for the Super Bowl.

Edit:

BTW, I did have some trouble with the sound on WATM-HD. Right now it isn't working. The signal strength I am getting is 62 on WATM-HD, compared with signal strength of 92 on WPSU-HD.
post #290 of 3335 Old 02-01-2006, 06:40 AM

Given the news about WATM-ABC going HD, I just called Atlantic Broadband at 946-5491 and inquired about getting ABC in HD on cable. I spoke with two different people; neither knew when ABC would be added to the HD lineup. I'm going to check back on Friday, but it looks like I am out of luck regarding the super bowl.
post #291 of 3335 Old 02-01-2006, 08:32 AM

WATM is live on Adelphia right now. I am watching it right now. Can't wait for the Super Bowl. Why didn't they get this done before the Orange Bowl though??
post #292 of 3335 Old 02-01-2006, 12:43 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
After reading the above - I tried my OTA receiver for WATM - nothing - not even a blip here in Westmont (I do get WWCP 8.1 & 8.2 perfectly). However, my brother in the Elton/Salix area tried his and picked up all 3 WATM channels.
post #293 of 3335 Old 02-01-2006, 02:12 PM - Thread Starter

I must admit being completely surprised. Last meeting I had with Dan from WATM they said they weren't going to do HD OTA right away.

A very pleasant surprise, anyway. That must be how Adelphia is picking up WATM in HD and would explain why they aren't getting WWCP yet.
post #294 of 3335 Old 02-01-2006, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimL View Post

After reading the above - I tried my OTA receiver for WATM - nothing - not even a blip here in Westmont (I do get WWCP 8.1 & 8.2 perfectly). However, my brother in the Elton/Salix area tried his and picked up all 3 WATM channels.

8.2 is WATM-SD (Thanx, SlyKens!) and has been being transmitted OTA for at least a couple months. Alas, no HD, and that is why (I think) I was able to obtain an ABC-HD East DNS waiver from them. There are no plans yet to transmit OTA ABC from their Laurel Ridge site. Both 8.1 FOX HD eventually (now SD) and 8.2 ABC-SD are transmitted from this same site via a multiplexed stream. What kind of antenna is your brother using? I'm just 3 miles south of Elton and can't see anything from Altoona, but I have only a small indoor antenna.

Fred
post #295 of 3335 Old 02-01-2006, 03:54 PM
Advanced Member

Right now I can't pick up WATM OTA (I didn't feel like going out and adjusting the antenna) so I switched over to cable and decided to see if D&E perhaps picked up WATM-HD. Sure enough I am getting it on cable. I was definitely surprised. From now on I am not going to bad-mouth D&E on here
post #296 of 3335 Old 02-01-2006, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimL View Post

what kind of antenna are you using jim u should get altonna channels easy. i live in the downtown area in the valley an i can get wjactv 34 and fox 29 and i get signals from channel 15 pbs and 24 and 32 from altoona. i can get signal from 51 wtaedt from pittsburgh. all signals strenth is around 49 up to 60 but wont lock on the channel. this summer im gona put my antenna on the roof to see if i can lock the channels on. im using a channels master 4221 and a atennadirect pa 16 preamp and rotor.
post #297 of 3335 Old 02-01-2006, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjg247 View Post

WATM is live on Adelphia right now. I am watching it right now. Can't wait for the Super Bowl. Why didn't they get this done before the Orange Bowl though??

I have 2 questions.

1) What digital channel on Adelphia is WATM HD coming in on?

2) Is this truely an HD signal?? It is coming in at 720p but the picture is stretched.

I can get the signal OTA, but, I will have to wait for 8 pm when there are some ABC programs in HD. WATM is handling standard def (non HD) programs differently than WNEP (ABC) in WB/Scranton. For non HD show, they will Black Bar it with vertical black bars on the right and left side of the screen to show the program in the correct proportion. WATM is showing the same show stretched over the entire X direction with no black bars. I am just wondering if they are outputting 720p signal but still only inputting standard def. I guess I will find out at 8pm tonight.

You can see what I am talking about, by looking at WJAC johnstown (84.2 on adelphia) for a non HD show.
post #298 of 3335 Old 02-01-2006, 06:00 PM - Thread Starter

On Adelphia it looks like it is in fact HD. SD looks like stretched upconvert.

Congrats and thank you WATM.
post #299 of 3335 Old 02-01-2006, 06:29 PM
Advanced Member

Last night the State of the Union was definitely HD. However, the show after that was SD and it had black bars on either side of it. I was using an antenna to get WATM-HD last night.

Today I could not get a signal with my antenna, but as I mentioned D&E is carrying it now. Interestingly when I watched shows today on WATM-HD through D&E it was a stretched SD image that filled the screen. I have not had a chance to watch any HD content on WATM-HD through the cable connection. Nor have I had a chance to compare the OTA and cable versions of SD today. Is it possible that the cable company stretches the SD content before sending the signal?
post #300 of 3335 Old 02-01-2006, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanbrew View Post

Given the news about WATM-ABC going HD, I just called Atlantic Broadband at 946-5491 and inquired about getting ABC in HD on cable. I spoke with two different people; neither knew when ABC would be added to the HD lineup. I'm going to check back on Friday, but it looks like I am out of luck regarding the super bowl.

I just checked this evening with my antenna, and I pulled in WATM-HD without a problem in altoona with the tuner built into my Panasonic TH42PX50U. My TV said the signal was in 720p. I then checked the guide on cable and saw that they added a channel 778, which is called ATMHD. Going along with how they named all the other channels, this has to be WATM in HD. I will call them in the morning to do a reset of my box so I can pull this channel in.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page