Forum Jump: 

post #2971 of 3319 Old 06-02-2010, 09:52 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by 75ohms View Post

I wonder if they'll ever get into HD news at WTAJ?

I'm still wondering if they'll ever figure out that they don't need to mutilate The Late Late Show.

How can I be sure in a world that's constantly changing?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2972 of 3319 Old 06-06-2010, 02:10 PM

I hate to sound like a couple month later broken record, but did WHVL turn off its analog signal?

Also, Is WATM's HD (23.1) channel not working?

post #2973 of 3319 Old 06-07-2010, 05:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nokorola View Post

I hate to sound like a couple month later broken record, but did WHVL turn off its analog signal?

Also, Is WATM's HD (23.1) channel not working?

WHVL had planned to continue analog. Their station ID slides indicate both digital and analog, and I am able to pick up a wisp of an analog signal on ch 29, but not enough to confirm it as WHVL.

WATM appears fine to me.

ÂOne of the few good things about modern times: If you die horribly on television, you will not have died in vain. You will have entertained us.Â
- Kurt Vonnegut
-0-
post #2974 of 3319 Old 06-07-2010, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA_MainyYak View Post

WHVL had planned to continue analog. Their station ID slides indicate both digital and analog, and I am able to pick up a wisp of an analog signal on ch 29, but not enough to confirm it as WHVL.

WATM appears fine to me.

Yeah, WHVL's analog signal did come back on the air early yesterday, and WATM-HD eventually came back Sunday night.

Thanks.

post #2975 of 3319 Old 07-19-2010, 11:07 AM

Is anyone else having a problem with ABB's movies on demand? I've watched several free Encore and Starz movies on demand lately, and they've all had severe macro-blocking, dropouts and other problems. The one I watched the other night simply froze and I was unable to do anything. My box ended up rebooting itself. Luckily, I was able to resume the movie where it froze.
post #2976 of 3319 Old 07-20-2010, 08:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanbrew View Post

Is anyone else having a problem with ABB's movies on demand? I've watched several free Encore and Starz movies on demand lately, and they've all had severe macro-blocking, dropouts and other problems. The one I watched the other night simply froze and I was unable to do anything. My box ended up rebooting itself. Luckily, I was able to resume the movie where it froze.

I've run into the same thing on occasion. Stopping the playback ad returning to the menu and re-selecting the video has worked for me. But it is still a PITA.
(It's probably time to send a friendly email to the GM, Dave Dane.)

ÂOne of the few good things about modern times: If you die horribly on television, you will not have died in vain. You will have entertained us.Â
- Kurt Vonnegut
-0-
post #2977 of 3319 Old 08-02-2010, 01:28 PM

Does anyone know when WPCW is coming back on in Jeanette?
post #2978 of 3319 Old 08-03-2010, 05:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chum1976 View Post

The RF 11 transmitter will remain on the KDKA tower in Pittsburgh. There is a repeater approved on RF 27 on WPCW's old tower in Somerset County, but there's no indication when they might actually install and fire it up. KDKA has also applied for a repeater on the same tower and it is still awaiting FCC approval, which might explain the delay.

- Kurt Vonnegut
-0-
post #2979 of 3319 Old 08-07-2010, 11:33 AM

So what's the deal with W41CF? The FCC info isn't really helpful. Is it an analog translator of WSCP-CA, or is it digital? Does it even actually exist? Are there too many questions here?

edit: Apparently Pathway Community Radio doesn't exist in any tangible form anymore because all the phone numbers I can find listed for them are dead. Still, the licence on WSCP-CA was just recently renewed(?) because the status date is 8-5-10(2 days ago), so I guess it's still on the air(or at least licenced).

post #2980 of 3319 Old 08-08-2010, 11:38 AM

Was curious what local channels (including any Scranton/Wilkes-Barre) Comcast in State College carries in HD. Thanks!
post #2981 of 3319 Old 08-13-2010, 12:03 PM

Quote:

I'm about ten miles east of Jeannette and get WPCW without problems from the KDKA tower.
post #2982 of 3319 Old 08-13-2010, 05:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK77 View Post

I'm about ten miles east of Jeannette and get WPCW without problems from the KDKA tower.

They're trying to regain some of the coverage that was lost in Somerset and Cambria counties when WPCW moved from the Reed Hill (Somerset County) tower to the KDKA tower.
post #2983 of 3319 Old 08-14-2010, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammer View Post

They're trying to regain some of the coverage that was lost in Somerset and Cambria counties when WPCW moved from the Reed Hill (Somerset County) tower to the KDKA tower.

I hope its soon for the fall season. I live in western bedford county and could easily pull in the station when it was analog. My address is within the coverage map of the proposed digital transmitter so hopefully all will be well.
post #2984 of 3319 Old 08-18-2010, 05:57 PM
Advanced Member

Well this was a revolting development today -- the Altoona/Johnstown ABB folks lost their digital channels (though for me it mostly meant the loss of the HD channels). Still, it's a bit of a PITA. Could be worse, at least I didn't lose the Internet connection also, like some others did.

Ah well....it's almost 9pm ET and it's still not fixed. I'm just glad cable is working at all! (It went out for about a minute or so when the initial crash occurred, but then came back, partially.) Hopefully whatever it is will be taken care of by morning.

DGK
post #2985 of 3319 Old 08-19-2010, 10:32 AM

Did anyone else catch the 10 minutes or so of WNEP(RF 50) last night? It happened at about 11:30pm, just as WNEP news was on its last few stories.

Also, has anyone heard anything new about any of the translators/transmitters going up in the area?

post #2986 of 3319 Old 08-19-2010, 10:58 AM

Has anyone noticed a drop in signal strengh from WQED lately Mine has been bad in evenings. Goes from 48% to 32% unwatchable Here in Richland [Johnstown area ] the WEATHER ?????? or are they working on their tower again ? ....16 comes in loud and clear. Had to go to my big BUD to pick up "SOUTH PACFIC" for the misses last night, on PBS 7 out of NEBRASKA's satillite feed .

"If you want total security,go to prison,there your fed,clothed,given medical care and so on The only thing lacking,,,,,,,,is FREEDOM " Dwight D.Eisenhower
post #2987 of 3319 Old 08-22-2010, 04:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeKaye07 View Post

Well this was a revolting development today -- the Altoona/Johnstown ABB folks lost their digital channels (though for me it mostly meant the loss of the HD channels). Still, it's a bit of a PITA. Could be worse, at least I didn't lose the Internet connection also, like some others did.

Ah well....it's almost 9pm ET and it's still not fixed. I'm just glad cable is working at all! (It went out for about a minute or so when the initial crash occurred, but then came back, partially.) Hopefully whatever it is will be taken care of by morning.

DGK

It was a major outage affecting all ABB systems in Pennsylvania and Maryland. Took down my phone and internet for awhile as well.

- Kurt Vonnegut
-0-
post #2988 of 3319 Old 08-22-2010, 06:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

It was a major outage affecting all ABB systems in Pennsylvania and Maryland. Took down my phone and internet for awhile as well.

Yeah it was something, all right...my HD channels didn't come back until the next morning.

I wonder sometimes what causes such a catastrophic failure like that, when the weather is good...that has happened in the past (a system-wide failure, last year I think?) but thankfully it doesn't happen that often.

DGK
post #2989 of 3319 Old 08-30-2010, 03:46 PM
Advanced Member

Looks like the WJAC translators for Altoona, DuBois, and Bedford are moving along a little slower than hoped.

I heard from a knowledgeable source:
Quote:

Altoona will be on the air by the end of September.
Plans for DuBois & Bedford are tentative.
DuBois probably next summer. Bedford summer 2012.

WJAC recently filed for and was granted a modification to their Altoona translator CP. They changed antenna types, slightly reducing the total footprint.

- Kurt Vonnegut
-0-
post #2990 of 3319 Old 08-31-2010, 12:44 PM

I wish our local channels would take advantage of the subchannels available out there. RTV is great as in PBS create. It seems we always lag behind everyone else.
post #2991 of 3319 Old 08-31-2010, 01:53 PM

Quote:

I wish our local channels would take advantage of the subchannels available out there. RTV is great as in PBS create. It seems we always lag behind everyone else.

Waste more bandwidth on subchannels and degrade the main channel's picture quality? No thanks.
post #2992 of 3319 Old 09-01-2010, 12:16 PM

As of my post of the 19th I have now lost all of WQED' Signal ! have not had zip on them in the last 6 days

"If you want total security,go to prison,there your fed,clothed,given medical care and so on The only thing lacking,,,,,,,,is FREEDOM " Dwight D.Eisenhower
post #2993 of 3319 Old 09-08-2010, 11:57 AM

AntennaTV subchannel to launch. This would be good. Maybe our local station can carry it.

Antenna TV offerings will include "Three's Company," "Good Times," "All in the Family," "Sanford and Son," "Benny Hill," "Maude," "The Nanny,""Too Close for Comfort," "The Monkees," "Married with Children," "NewsRadio," "Dennis the Menace," "The Donna Reed Show" and Three Stooges shorts.

http://newsblogs.chicagotribune.com/...v-network.html
post #2994 of 3319 Old 09-20-2010, 07:26 AM

Has anyone in the Adams/Croyle/Portage area lost WPXI HD and its RTN subchannel, as well as KDKA HD from the Comcast cable feed? Both we and my in-laws in Portage no longer have them, although we can see the SD feeds of both HD channels. At first I had thought they were moved, but rescans of all our TVs could not find them anywhere.
post #2995 of 3319 Old 09-23-2010, 01:31 PM

Quote:

Looks like the WJAC translators for Altoona, DuBois, and Bedford are moving along a little slower than hoped.

I heard from a knowledgeable source:

WJAC recently filed for and was granted a modification to their Altoona translator CP. They changed antenna types, slightly reducing the total footprint.

WJAC Altoona still on for this month? Any news on the CW Johnstown?
post #2996 of 3319 Old 09-27-2010, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pemyers View Post

Has anyone in the Adams/Croyle/Portage area lost WPXI HD and its RTN subchannel, as well as KDKA HD from the Comcast cable feed? Both we and my in-laws in Portage no longer have them, although we can see the SD feeds of both HD channels. At first I had thought they were moved, but rescans of all our TVs could not find them anywhere.

Same thing happened to me in the northern part of the county. I lost them about 2 weeks ago. Did a rescan and nothing showed up. I still get WTAE-HD on 4.1, WPMY on 22.1, and WPGH 53.1, but no KDKA-HD or WPXI-HD. I get the SD feeds for all of the Pittsburgh stations. KDKA-SD is on 40.3 and WPXI-SD are on 40.8.
post #2997 of 3319 Old 09-28-2010, 04:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PANewsFan View Post

Same thing happened to me in the northern part of the county. I lost them about 2 weeks ago. Did a rescan and nothing showed up. I still get WTAE-HD on 4.1, WPMY on 22.1, and WPGH 53.1, but no KDKA-HD or WPXI-HD. I get the SD feeds for all of the Pittsburgh stations. KDKA-SD is on 40.3 and WPXI-SD are on 40.8.

Thanks for the reply, PANewsFan. Normally it wouldn't be much of an issue to me but my in-laws like KDKA's news. I'll need to add the SD channels to their TV's channel list, I guess.

Pity that Comcast does things like this without any warning.
post #2998 of 3319 Old 10-02-2010, 10:26 AM

Does anyone have an update on WWCP's channel 17 SC translator, or the ever-elusive Altoona Ch6 translator?

I want my RTV!

post #2999 of 3319 Old 10-02-2010, 04:37 PM

Quote:

Does anyone have an update on WWCP's channel 17 SC translator, or the ever-elusive Altoona Ch6 translator?

I want my RTV!

I tried emailing WJAC and cant get a single response from nobody.....they must have a skeleton crew. I did get an email from This TV network saying they are in the process of getting the channel on the air in the johnstown/altoona market, so hopefully someone will take advantage of this good subchannel.

Another thing that ticks me off is we cant get the CW. The cable and dish companies can carry it, but yet its not available OTA in Altoona.
post #3000 of 3319 Old 10-02-2010, 11:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA Send a message via Yahoo to Trip in VA
Quote:

Does anyone have an update on WWCP's channel 17 SC translator

W59AI filed with the FCC just last week that the analog has been turned off and digital equipment is being installed in its place.

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page