Forum Jump: 

Old 12-07-2010, 10:59 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nokorola View Post

If I do this, I would need to buy a new LNB for it, correct?

Also, I have a friend with one of the later black screen c-band dishes, and he would likely give it to me to get rid of it, These don't work as well/correctly right?

Thanks for the help
-Phillip

I would call the local satellite installers in your area and ask them if they could install the dish. My old c-band was installed by see-world many years ago. A professional will have the proper equipment and satellite signal meters to make it much easier.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2010, 09:49 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:

If I do this, I would need to buy a new LNB for it, correct?

It would depends on how old the one would be that you got. Or, if you can't get a receiver to move the dish, you'd have to install an LNBF which would handle polarity changes itself and then a GBox to move the dish.

Quote:

Also, I have a friend with one of the later black screen c-band dishes, and he would likely give it to me to get rid of it, These don't work as well/correctly right?

My dish is mesh and I have no problems with digital signals (MPEG-2 or Digicipher 2) on C or Ku, but it's a ten footer. You might have problems if it is a smaller dish, especially for DVB-S2 signals.
Old 12-13-2010, 01:02 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by clgberg View Post

Follow up on the Comcast HD post: Looks like they did something since a rescan with both digital TVs found 6-1, etc.

ABB did some changes with theirs also - I had to rescan to get the channels back but now both PBS stations (3 & 13) are all broken up and totally unwatchable.
Old 12-16-2010, 12:50 PM

So, I know this list is for broadcast TV, but I just learned that Comcast in State College has moved some of their HD channels on Dec 6 and IF you had notch filters on your cable, you could be missing PBSHD, NBCHD, ABCHD and FoxHD. The solution, have them come out and remove those filters. Why would you have those filters? If you subscribed to services like HBO, StarZ or Encore, they used to deliver those with these notch filters. Also, if you use a QAM Tunner for getting those channels you should probably re-scan. Sorry I don't know the frequencies. Sad part, it has taken me better than a week to talk to someone who understands what happened. The installer was great and had it diagnosed in about 2 minutes.

John

John Kalbach
Old 12-20-2010, 06:44 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalbach View Post

So, I know this list is for broadcast TV, but I just learned that Comcast in State College has moved some of their HD channels on Dec 6 and IF you had notch filters on your cable, you could be missing PBSHD, NBCHD, ABCHD and FoxHD. The solution, have them come out and remove those filters. Why would you have those filters? If you subscribed to services like HBO, StarZ or Encore, they used to deliver those with these notch filters. Also, if you use a QAM Tunner for getting those channels you should probably re-scan. Sorry I don't know the frequencies. Sad part, it has taken me better than a week to talk to someone who understands what happened. The installer was great and had it diagnosed in about 2 minutes.

John

I am using a QAM tuner to pick up locals in HD, not sure if I call the installer if they will say I am illegal or not, I only pay for internet. Nice to know what is actually going on. I still get CBS but the others are no signal even with a re-scan I can not pick them up in Philipsburg.
Old 01-12-2011, 07:41 AM

I just saw this great old WJAC "Peacock Shoppe" commercial on YouTube, so I thought I'd share it for anyone who didn't already see it(and those who will watch it again).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PgdDuClBANo

How can I be sure in a world that's constantly changing?
Old 01-12-2011, 09:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

I just saw this great old WJAC "Peacock Shoppe" commercial on YouTube, so I thought I'd share it for anyone who didn't already see it(and those who will watch it again).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PgdDuClBANo

Oh wow. Thanks for the ride in the wayback machine!

I still have a beach towel obtained from the shop.

I wish they had sold reporter cut-away shot bobbleheads . . .

The Peacock Shoppe concept was an interesting idea (a decade ahead of its time), but lasted, iirc only about one year at WJAC.

ÂOne of the few good things about modern times: If you die horribly on television, you will not have died in vain. You will have entertained us.Â
- Kurt Vonnegut
-0-
Old 01-29-2011, 08:20 AM

Does anyone know when WWCP/Fox8's channel 17 translator in State College is going to be done? Or is it already on the air?

Old 01-31-2011, 12:12 AM

Quote:

Does anyone know when WWCP/Fox8's channel 17 translator in State College is going to be done? Or is it already on the air?

I Just did a scan and didn't pick up anything.. Given all the reports about financial difficulties at small TV stations, I would not be surprised if it never happened.

It Sucks.. That's the only major network I'm missing from HD OTA.
Old 01-31-2011, 10:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyiota View Post
Given all the reports about financial difficulties at small TV stations, I would not be surprised if it never happened.
At this point it will probably be left up to the new owner and you would think they would want the State College translator operating.
Old 02-01-2011, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyiota View Post
I Just did a scan and didn't pick up anything.. Given all the reports about financial difficulties at small TV stations, I would not be surprised if it never happened.

It Sucks.. That's the only major network I'm missing from HD OTA.
Alright, well in that case , do you know if their channel 59 analog transmitter is still on the air?

Thanks for the help.

Old 02-01-2011, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammer View Post

At this point it will probably be left up to the new owner and you would think they would want the State College translator operating.

Well the construction permit runs out this year so maybe when the weather breaks, but these two stations were on the brink of collapse. The new owners paid $1.00 and took over the debt. Their tower in somerset is vhf and the sd feed 23.3 out of Altoona stinks.

WPSU is no good for me, and they scrapped the altoona booster from what I heard. I purchased a FTA ku-band dish and will install it once the weather clears to get all the PBS feeds.
Old 02-01-2011, 06:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chum1976 View Post

Well the construction permit runs out this year so maybe when the weather breaks, but these two stations were on the brink of collapse.

A six month extension can be granted almost automatically. Since the station has suffered severe financial problems a second extension would probably be granted if requested.
Old 02-02-2011, 06:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammer View Post

A six month extension can be granted almost automatically. Since the station has suffered severe financial problems a second extension would probably be granted if requested.

The most recent FCC activity is from the end of last summer when they applied to turn off analog W590AI to make way for digital operation.
In that request they mention that the analog transmitter had already been turned off.
I've emailed their engineer but have not yet gotten any response.
The change in ownership and the very soft economy are almost certainly contributors to the delay.

ÂOne of the few good things about modern times: If you die horribly on television, you will not have died in vain. You will have entertained us.Â
- Kurt Vonnegut
-0-
Old 02-03-2011, 09:33 PM

WATM finally did what I hoped and got rid of 23.2 WATM-SD and made both 23.1 WATM and 23.2 WWCP "HD" channels with 16:9 ability. It will be nice to finally watch WWCP in some form of better quality.

Also, Super Bowl in HD-ish!

Old 02-05-2011, 04:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

WATM finally did what I hoped and got rid of 23.2 WATM-SD and made both 23.1 WATM and 23.2 WWCP "HD" channels with 16:9 ability.

For your sake I hope one of them is widescreen SD or ED because two supposedly HD channels in the same 6 MHz usually means bit starved HD-Lite for both.
Old 02-05-2011, 08:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA Send a message via Yahoo to Trip in VA
SiliconDust reports dual 720p.

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

Old 02-06-2011, 05:19 PM

Very nice picture. I think the new owners will make some positive changes...maybe This Tv

Anyone have news on the CW Johnstown?
Old 02-08-2011, 09:02 AM

Quote:

Very nice picture. I think the new owners will make some positive changes...maybe This Tv

With dual 720p's, I'm not sure they would have the room to do ThisTV justice on a dot 3.

"Modulating carriers since 1987"
Old 02-08-2011, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 75ohms View Post

With dual 720p's, I'm not sure they would have the room to do ThisTV justice on a dot 3.

I agree, they SHOULD do a weather radar though.

Old 02-08-2011, 07:47 PM

Several years ago I can remember getting TBN and a shopping channel on my antenna. Anyone know where those signals were from?

Congrats to the people in Pittsburgh, ION will be available OTA. Maybe some of you guys closer can pull it in.
Old 02-08-2011, 08:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I agree, they SHOULD do a weather radar though.

But then they'd have to acquire and air more E/I programming.

- Trip

N4MJC

RabbitEars

Old 02-09-2011, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip in VA View Post

But then they'd have to acquire and air more E/I programming.

- Trip

Really? Well then, I guess they won't.

Old 02-09-2011, 04:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Yes. A number of stations killed their weather feeds, or made them cable-only, when the FCC announced they would need to put E/I content on them.

- Trip

N4MJC

RabbitEars

Old 02-12-2011, 07:43 PM

Does anyone know if WTAJ and WATM will ever offer any other type of sub channel besides one that is the same on what they show? I would not mind seeing some other sub channels. I know some are not for them due to the channels taking away from the bandwidth that they want HD carried. For me though, I don't mind the subchannels because I like a variety for just using my antenna. RTV is ok, but do wish they would offer a new line up of shows. I don't think they changed their line up for quite some time.
Old 02-12-2011, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerbear4 View Post

Does anyone know if WTAJ and WATM will ever offer any other type of sub channel besides one that is the same on what they show? I would not mind seeing some other sub channels. I know some are not for them due to the channels taking away from the bandwidth that they want HD carried. For me though, I don't mind the subchannels because I like a variety for just using my antenna.

I agree that it would be nice if there were some other sub channels(like "Antenna TV" that airs The Monkees), but I also am eternally grateful to WATM for carrying WWCP(on 23.2) since they(WWCP on VHF 8) stood their ground and have a digital signal that shows it. WTAJ on the other hand really should throw us a bone and put a lower-quality sub-channel on the air.

Quote:

RTV is ok, but do wish they would offer a new line up of shows. I don't think they changed their line up for quite some time.

That to a certain extent has much to do with WJAC, because WJAC chooses to uses RTV's national feed. Because of this, they don't show some of the other(better?) shows(listed here) that are shown by affiliates that choose to customize their RTV schedule(like WHTM).

Old 02-14-2011, 11:39 AM

What we really need is a local CW OTA signal. There is no excuse for this DMA not having one. Cable and satellite both air WPCW and they want to put a transmitter in for Johnstown leaving Altoona and State College in the dark. If you have the room and a clear view of the southern sky a 6ft c-band FTA dish is a very good investment. I purchased a smaller dish and will fire it up this week and see what I get.

WTAJ is the only station that wont add subchannels. I have emailed them and got a huge NO. If the station would be sold to hearst or tribune we would have subchannels.
Old 02-16-2011, 02:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

If the station would be sold to hearst or tribune we would have subchannels.

The Tribune Company probably wouldn't be interested in WTAJ but it would make an interesting addition to Hearst's other two PA stations; WGAL, Lancaster and WTAE, Pittsburgh. Both have only one subchannel, ThisTV.
Old 02-16-2011, 06:39 PM

This TV is a great channel. I have family in Pittsburgh and watch it when visiting. 80.62 of the US population can watch This TV OTA, were in the 19.38% that cant.
Old 02-21-2011, 09:02 AM

The CW network feed can be received, via any C Band dish, and a DVB compliant FTA receiver...Direct or Dish is NOT needed.

Same goes for ThisTV...it is on AMC3, Tr.7.

See, maybe there is a use for that monstrosity in your backyard, after all!

"Modulating carriers since 1987"