Forum Jump: 

Old 06-09-2011, 01:59 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by dary0362 View Post

Thanks for the info chum1976. I figure I have at least two OTA signals to choose from for the 91XG (one from State College and one from Clearfield)...it's just hard for me to believe I can't pick either tower. I'll let you guys know how it goes when I get the antenna.

Good luck with the 91XG dary0362. I feel very fortunate because with my discounted Radio Shack Directional antenna in my attic in Tyrone I can get everything except WNEP-36, WWCP-8, and WPCW (all of which suffer serious signal restrictions.) It also gets me a passable signal from WHVL analog 29. Totally worth the $28.

How can I be sure in a world that's constantly changing?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2011, 05:38 PM

In a way I will miss Retro TV especially Battlestar Galactica and Buck Rogers in the 25th Century. It will be interesting to see what MeTv offers.
Old 06-12-2011, 08:21 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerbear4 View Post
In a way I will miss Retro TV especially Battlestar Galactica and Buck Rogers in the 25th Century. It will be interesting to see what MeTv offers.
I totally agree I will miss Jack Benny, and I am watching it one last time now, but I will totally love the rest of the shows on MeTV except the Westerns, never been into them LoL.

Anyway, will be nice that MeTV will show The Bob Newhart Show I have yet to see Season 5 and 6 of that show but I gotta wait 2.5 months until they get up to Season 5, LoL.

I'm waiting to see what happens at 12AM because it looks like on TitanTV the switch very well can happen at 12AM.
Old 06-13-2011, 10:25 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
MeTV has such a better line-up overall I can see why many stations dumped RTV, but RTV has a decent line-up of their own so maybe WHVL or Cornerstone can add it as a subchannel.

Still no CW in Johnstown. I am surprised it is taking this long.
Old 06-13-2011, 11:47 AM

I doubt Cornerstone would add RTV. If anything they will add The Bible Discovery Channel which airs on 40-2.
Old 06-17-2011, 03:02 PM

Did WJAC give MeTV more quality? I swear it looks a tad better and I don't seem to see so much pixelation that reminds me of watching low connection streaming media online.
Old 06-17-2011, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedPenguin2 View Post

Did WJAC give MeTV more quality? I swear it looks a tad better and I don't seem to see so much pixelation that reminds me of watching low connection streaming media online.

MeTV is just a better channel. RTV looks crappy at times on my FTA dish as well. I love the MeTV commercials and the schedule at the top and bottom of the hour. WJAC made the right choice dumping RTV.
Old 06-20-2011, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chum1976 View Post

MeTV is just a better channel. RTV looks crappy at times on my FTA dish as well. I love the MeTV commercials and the schedule at the top and bottom of the hour. WJAC made the right choice dumping RTV.

I agree, I was sad to see RTV go at first, but the improved quality of both the picture and schedule made it a great switch.
________

On an unrelated note, I bought some vaguely labeled "old CBS movies" VHS tapes at my church's yardsale and there are some great old Channel 10 Action News promos, as well as a partial opening from Action News Nightbeat, and an Entire Action News from May 10, 1987. One of the other tapes also had some CBS and NBC soaps on, and on this tape there are some great 90's WJAC promos. I think I may upload some of these to YouTube in the following weeks to share with the rest of "Keystone Country."

Old 06-21-2011, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nokorola View Post

I agree, I was sad to see RTV go at first, but the improved quality of both the picture and schedule made it a great switch.

I agree 100% with you. My aunt who watched RTV always asked me, what is with RTV repeating shows? I mean she's say how you would watch Jack Benny one week, and you would watch it next week and see one of the exact same episodes.

I noticed this too when I tried to record the channel to keep the episodes, I just gave up after a while, because so often I would look at the recordings like, man I already have that episode.

I now record MeTV's various shows that I like, because I notice they don't repeat episodes over and over (the actually air in order). It's nice recording because you can't even get some of these shows on DVD, such as Bob Newhart Season 5 + 6, the studio refuses to release them on DVD.

Also, I'm stunned how they get actual actors/actresses of the shows to do their commericals like that. I've seen Edward Asner, Carl Reiner, and Betty White, I was like woah.

EDIT: Does anybody else notice the picture seems "liney"? I mean where it's like the whole picture breaks up into lines, like maybe an old VCR tape going bad. I can't truly explain it.

EDIT #2: I guess I gotta take some of the credit back for airing episodes it order, they seem to be airing The Streets of San Francisco in a random order, which is making it harder to record. Also the like to skip random episodes like one ep of Bob Newhart Show luckily I already have said ep.
Old 06-24-2011, 06:19 AM

Hey guys,

Just a follow up on my earlier dilemma...I've picked up PBS from State College with the 91XG. I had to move it around quite a bit, and I was almost giving up...but I found the right position. Thanks again for your help!
Old 06-28-2011, 10:54 AM

Is anyone else having difficulty receiving WATM? My signal has dropped from 65-75 down to 10-14. I'm guessing that they're doing transmitter work, but you would never know it from viewing their website.

Edit: WATM came back up to full power about an hour after I posted the question, I guess they were working on something for a few hours.

Old 06-28-2011, 02:06 PM

Also, not sure if it will actually do anything but I figured ask ABB if they would put WHVL and WPSU World in the digital spectrum vs analog-only.

I know it's probably a long shot, but hey emailing ABB at least got RTV (now MeTV) in the clear vs encrypted, so now ClearQAM ppl can watch MeTV free, so I suppose anything is possible.

Then again they have to go completely digital anyway by I believe Feb 2012, so those channels would probably end up in ClearQAM anyway.

As long as ABB doesn't end up being one of those cable companies asking for an FCC waiver to completely encrypt the locals :|
Old 06-28-2011, 07:32 PM

I've been a DishNetwork customer for the past 6 years and, quite frankly, loved the picture quality. Unfortunately my property and my neighbors property is full of trees and over the past few months, the signal strength has been dropping steadily. I had a tech visit over the weekend and he said there isn't really anything they can do and unless I want to take out two enormous trees, the problem will just keep getting worse.

So, my only other option is comcast. I'm wondering what their quality is like in the Somerset area. I've read a lot of horror stories about degraded HD programming via Comcast so I'm pretty scared to make the change. I'm hoping actual comcast customers might have better stories to tell. Can anyone who received Comcast programming give me the scoop?
Old 06-28-2011, 07:55 PM

Quote:

I agree, I was sad to see RTV go at first, but the improved quality of both the picture and schedule made it a great switch

RTV has dropped the universal shows and replaced them with pure junk. Thank goodness WJAC made the switch.

I only had problems with channel 23 last week a few days along with 6 and 10. They must have been working on Wopsy.
Old 06-28-2011, 07:58 PM

Quote:

________

On an unrelated note, I bought some vaguely labeled "old CBS movies" VHS tapes at my church's yardsale and there are some great old Channel 10 Action News promos, as well as a partial opening from Action News Nightbeat, and an Entire Action News from May 10, 1987. One of the other tapes also had some CBS and NBC soaps on, and on this tape there are some great 90's WJAC promos. I think I may upload some of these to YouTube in the following weeks to share with the rest of "Keystone Country."

Quote:

Also, not sure if it will actually do anything but I figured ask ABB if they would put WHVL and WPSU World in the digital spectrum vs analog-only.

I know it's probably a long shot, but hey emailing ABB at least got RTV (now MeTV) in the clear vs encrypted, so now ClearQAM ppl can watch MeTV free, so I suppose anything is possible.

Then again they have to go completely digital anyway by I believe Feb 2012, so those channels would probably end up in ClearQAM anyway.

As long as ABB doesn't end up being one of those cable companies asking for an FCC waiver to completely encrypt the locals :|

Dont expect them to add WHVL because they are low power mostly junk filled channels. America one is the worse subchannel of all. Oh I wish we had ION and their 2 subchannels instead...........
Old 06-29-2011, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRFTony View Post

I've been a DishNetwork customer for the past 6 years and, quite frankly, loved the picture quality. Unfortunately my property and my neighbors property is full of trees and over the past few months, the signal strength has been dropping steadily. I had a tech visit over the weekend and he said there isn't really anything they can do and unless I want to take out two enormous trees, the problem will just keep getting worse.

So, my only other option is comcast. I'm wondering what their quality is like in the Somerset area. I've read a lot of horror stories about degraded HD programming via Comcast so I'm pretty scared to make the change. I'm hoping actual comcast customers might have better stories to tell. Can anyone who received Comcast programming give me the scoop?

Hey,
Sorry to hear about the trees and dish. My uncle is having the same problem.

Have you considered directv? Angle is higher and easier to reach. My parents and my uncle have dish and I Have directv and both are good. picture quality on directv is slightly better (though realistically it's near impossible to tell) They are offering a pretty sweet deal right now if you are an NFL fan (free sunday ticket) and I can get you an extra $10/mo off for your 1st year.
Old 06-29-2011, 06:51 PM

pvdigital - I hadn't really considered Directv only because I assumed if the trees were causing problems with DN, I'd have the same problem with any satellite provider.

I'll have to check and see if directv could send a tech out to examine the property and see if the signal quality would be adequate.
Old 06-29-2011, 09:31 PM

Quote:

Dont expect them to add WHVL because they are low power mostly junk filled channels. America one is the worse subchannel of all. Oh I wish we had ION and their 2 subchannels instead...........

Yea I see what you me from looking at their TV listings.

I suggested the new Pittsburgh iON that WQED sold but they just basically said the excepted we have no plans to add new channels.

I would not have minded WPSU World and their other subchannel Create.

He did say that they do in fact review them in digital form which also was to be excepted and that they converted them to analog but all new TVs that they know of receive both analog and digital.

Well duh, but when you are strictly watching ClearQAM only as you only pay for Internet, it obviously makes a huge difference when they channel is offered in the digital tier Obviously I didn't tell them this to make a huge deal for no reason, LoL.

I guess I will be waiting until around Feb 2012 and hoping to God they did not apply for and win a waiver to 100% encrypt locals.
Old 06-29-2011, 10:31 PM

Quote:

Yea I see what you me from looking at their TV listings.

I suggested the new Pittsburgh iON that WQED sold but they just basically said the excepted we have no plans to add new channels.

I would not have minded WPSU World and their other subchannel Create.

He did say that they do in fact review them in digital form which also was to be excepted and that they converted them to analog but all new TVs that they know of receive both analog and digital.

Well duh, but when you are strictly watching ClearQAM only as you only pay for Internet, it obviously makes a huge difference when they channel is offered in the digital tier Obviously I didn't tell them this to make a huge deal for no reason, LoL.

I guess I will be waiting until around Feb 2012 and hoping to God they did not apply for and win a waiver to 100% encrypt locals.

The best picture quality is using OTA antenna. I have cable internet and the digital channels are not as good like the outdoor antenna. Go to www.tvfool.com and enter your address and post your result here. Depending on location you can pick up a dozen or more stations.
Old 06-30-2011, 02:43 PM

Quote:

The best picture quality is using OTA antenna. I have cable internet and the digital channels are not as good like the outdoor antenna. Go to www.tvfool.com and enter your address and post your result here. Depending on location you can pick up a dozen or more stations.

I already tried doing that before but I'm deep in Johnstown and all I can do is use an indoor antenna being in an apartment, and I strictly get WJAC and MeTV.

Everything else is like 30+ miles away and I don't even catch a glimpse of picking it up, even back when everything was analog.
Old 07-01-2011, 08:18 AM

Quote:

pvdigital - I hadn't really considered Directv only because I assumed if the trees were causing problems with DN, I'd have the same problem with any satellite provider.

I'll have to check and see if directv could send a tech out to examine the property and see if the signal quality would be adequate.

Cool. Let me know how that goes and if you have any questions!
Old 07-08-2011, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvdigital View Post
Cool. Let me know how that goes and if you have any questions!

Well, the Directv installer came out yesterday and said there are simply too many trees in the wrong location to get a signal. Since most of the "problem" trees are on the neighbor's property, cutting them down isn't possible.

Look like I'll have to change to comcast.
Old 07-08-2011, 04:32 PM

Quote:

Well, the Directv installer came out yesterday and said there are simply too many trees in the wrong location to get a signal. Since most of the "problem" trees are on the neighbor's property, cutting them down isn't possible.

Look like I'll have to change to comcast.

Sorry to hear that...on the plus side comcast has gotten better over the past few years. not satellite or OTA quality but better than atlantic broadband.
Old 07-09-2011, 03:29 PM

I'm going to put forward this question again, and hopefully someone may catch it this time who can help me out...

What's the deal with W41CF and WSCP-CA? Do either of them even exist at this point? As I stated before, Pathway Community Radio doesn't seem to exist in any tangible form anymore because all the phone numbers I found listed for them are dead. At this point the FCC database is also dead, so that seems to say that these channels are gone, but as I don't live in their coverage area I really have no way to be sure.

Thanks for any help, Phillip.

Old 07-09-2011, 04:27 PM

W42cf was off the air for more than a year and was cancelled. WSCP gave back their class A status a few months back. ( they had cornerstone on the last I checked)
Old 07-09-2011, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rf jon View Post

W42cf was off the air for more than a year and was cancelled. WSCP gave back their class A status a few months back. ( they had cornerstone on the last I checked)

Alright, thank you very much. It didn't really matter, but it was driving me crazy because there is so little information about it available online.

-Phillip

Old 07-15-2011, 09:59 AM

Does anyone have any new information on W59AI's status? Has WWCP scrapped the project since they're in HD on WATM now?

Old 07-15-2011, 11:00 AM

https://licensing.fcc.gov/cgi-bin/ws...&fac_num=20281 Maybe this might clear things a bit?

"If you want total security,go to prison,there your fed,clothed,given medical care and so on The only thing lacking,,,,,,,,is FREEDOM " Dwight D.Eisenhower
Old 07-15-2011, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by upzdayzm View Post

https://licensing.fcc.gov/cgi-bin/ws...&fac_num=20281 Maybe this might clear things a bit?

Alright, so they turned off RF59 to prepare for digital 17 and they just haven't any may never turn the digital one on. Am I reading it correctly?

Thanks for the help.

-Phillip

Old 07-21-2011, 02:42 PM

Nexstar who owns WTAJ is trying to sell their stations. If they sell it let us hope the new owner likes subchannels. AntennaTV would be nice.

http://www.broadcastingcable.com/art...hp?rssid=20065