Johnstown, PA - HDTV - Page 106 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #3151 of 3321 Old 07-28-2011, 02:22 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
WTAJ TV-10 Action News NightBeat from 1987.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obO9asiZgeQ

How can I be sure in a world that's constantly changing?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3152 of 3321 Old 08-04-2011, 02:43 AM

Just to let any ClearQAM users know, that ABB moved WJAC to 85.3 instead of 104.3 and MeTV is 85.4 vs 104.4 and finally This is 85.8 instead of 104.8.
post #3153 of 3321 Old 08-04-2011, 07:10 AM

Is anyone else having lip-sync problems on ABB channel 708 (fox)? I have a Vizio LCD TV hooked up to my HD8300 DVR. There is a huge lip sync lag on channel 708 that is not noticeable on other channels. When I watch the 10PM news, the sound is way off the picture. I try pausing and then restarting, changing channels and rewinding, but it never syncs up properly. It also happens with shows recorded off this channel.
post #3154 of 3321 Old 08-04-2011, 04:25 PM

Has anybody ever heard of a problem like this?:

I have 3 LCD TVs and 1 QAM TV Tuner Card.

My RCA and Sanyo both find all 3 85.xes (WJAC, MeTV, This), but I can't get my Hauppuage TV Tuner card to find any 85.x's or Element TV to find them.

I have done rescans over and over with both tuners to no result.

It's making no sense to me, how I am clear as day watching the 85.x channels on two TVs yet not on two others, on the exact same cable line.

EDIT: I made sure all cable connections are nice and tight on the TVs, splitters, everywhere. I have tried replacing splitters even removing splitters. Now on some TVs 77.x WTAJ, WWCP, and WATM all break up, yet on other TVs 85.x WJAC, MeTV, and This break up.

I have emailed DDane and DKuchenbrod the second being the "headend" guy, so that hopefully one of them will be able to initiate the sending of a technician out to check the outside lines, because the people on the phone have no clue what ClearQAM is and just say I don't have cable with them. I told them also how my Internet messes up, so if anything the line should be checked for that.
post #3155 of 3321 Old 08-05-2011, 02:52 PM

EDIT #2: It appears that it was a bad cable line going from the splitter to my TV tuner card. I'm curious how does a cable line actually go bad? I mean it's just copper wrapped around insulation as far as I can tell. Also how does it fail only certain channels vs completely? Also are cable wires that sensitive? I had a problem again where 85 disappeared and flipping a couple the other way fixed it.

Dave Dane (ddane @ atlanticbb.com) said the following:

You do not pay us for video service which is why we feel no obligation to service your television reception.

I understand that folks with quam tuners and digital sets can get a number of our standard and HD off air channels because we do not encrypt them and because the filters that we use for internet only customers will not block out theses channels. I cannot do anything about what you have been able to experience in the past but I can tell you that we are not going to make it easy for you to get for free what others pay for.

Get yourself a digital antennae and pick the broadcast service up off the air, or order our video service. Or you can cross you fingers and hope that you can figure out what we have done.

Dave

Also

We service our video customers, so there is not an issue. If you know someone that pays for service and that is having this problem, feel free to refer them to me and I will make sure that they do get what they are paying for. And if we have to send a technician out there to get them that service, we will.

So apparently they do not care what so ever about this issue, well I see a guy on DSLReports saying he has the same issue, so maybe others will complain as well, who knows.

EDIT: I fixed the 77.xx channels on my one TV, it appears that using those "push-on" cable wires are bad, and switching to a "screw-on" cable wire totally fixed it.
post #3156 of 3321 Old 08-09-2011, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanbrew View Post

Is anyone else having lip-sync problems on ABB channel 708 (fox)? I have a Vizio LCD TV hooked up to my HD8300 DVR. There is a huge lip sync lag on channel 708 that is not noticeable on other channels. When I watch the 10PM news, the sound is way off the picture. I try pausing and then restarting, changing channels and rewinding, but it never syncs up properly. It also happens with shows recorded off this channel.

I see it is not aligned, often when watching the OTA signal, during prime time.

"Modulating carriers since 1987"
post #3157 of 3321 Old 08-09-2011, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRFTony View Post

I've been a DishNetwork customer for the past 6 years and, quite frankly, loved the picture quality. Unfortunately my property and my neighbors property is full of trees and over the past few months, the signal strength has been dropping steadily. I had a tech visit over the weekend and he said there isn't really anything they can do and unless I want to take out two enormous trees, the problem will just keep getting worse.

So, my only other option is comcast. I'm wondering what their quality is like in the Somerset area. I've read a lot of horror stories about degraded HD programming via Comcast so I'm pretty scared to make the change. I'm hoping actual comcast customers might have better stories to tell. Can anyone who received Comcast programming give me the scoop?

I live in Somerset and just switched to Comcast from Dish Network (10 years) and the HD quality is good. I had a problem with the standard channels looking like CRAP. I had a tech come back and made a couple of changes and a new HD DVR and the standard channels look a little bit better but the HD is fine down here. I made the switch for the Internet (awesome) and phone and the tv came with it.
post #3158 of 3321 Old 08-09-2011, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanbrew View Post

Yes but it was doing it on my Dish Network just the same. Sounds like a Fox problem?
post #3159 of 3321 Old 08-10-2011, 04:58 AM

Thanks 75ohms and benjamin921. I guess it is a Fox8 problem, not a cable company or DVR problem. Annoying as heck, though.
post #3160 of 3321 Old 08-11-2011, 08:11 PM

Anyone having any problems with TV Guide On Screen menu service? I'm not getting any data to it anymore. I'm using cablecard in a Pioneer plasma...comcast.
post #3161 of 3321 Old 08-12-2011, 08:12 AM

I didn't see any posting on this. Forgive me if i missed it but:

Anyone in the State College area on Comcast having some issues with what used to be their channels 6-1, 8-1, and maybe 10-1? These were the local affiliates, in HD, that one could tune using the TV's built-in tuner. Now 6-1 is very pixelated, audio drops out, etc - it is not watchable. 8-1 is gone, and I don't remember if 10-1 is available or not. Are they slowly making set top boxes the only way one can receive their programming?
post #3162 of 3321 Old 08-15-2011, 08:29 AM

Guess they are gone! A call to Comcast said one can only access these now with a $9.25 fee. I am already paying that fee twice. And there is no other option between the $1.99 boxes and the $9.25 boxes. Nice! Time to see what the FCC has to say about rules regarding carriage of local affiliate content.
post #3163 of 3321 Old 08-16-2011, 11:48 AM

I read online I think it may have been a Comcast user, but they claimed that when the cable company went to digital, he actually got more free channels, even though he did no specify which ones were added.

I'm trying to relate that to ABB and think they might during the switch just make WPSU World, WHVL, KDKA, & WTAE all clear as they are locals.

I feel they probably will offer the shopping channels, maybe TV, and probably their local channels 9 and 14 I think they are.

I just wanted to run this past others here, to see if they feel the same or different.

I know it's more of a "gotta wait and see" thing, but I'm trying to gather what I should expect after the switch.

B.T.W. ABB claims in the Johnstown, PA are there are no current plans to change yet.
post #3164 of 3321 Old 08-16-2011, 02:34 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedPenguin2
I read online I think it may have been a Comcast user, but they claimed that when the cable company went to digital, he actually got more free channels, even though he did no specify which ones were added.

I'm trying to relate that to ABB and think they might during the switch just make WPSU World, WHVL, KDKA, & WTAE all clear as they are locals.

I feel they probably will offer the shopping channels, maybe TV, and probably their local channels 9 and 14 I think they are.

I just wanted to run this past others here, to see if they feel the same or different.

I know it's more of a "gotta wait and see" thing, but I'm trying to gather what I should expect after the switch.

B.T.W. ABB claims in the Johnstown, PA are there are no current plans to change yet.
Just for a reference point, those stuck with BlueRidge in Central/Eastern PA have 0 clear-QAM stations, including locals via an FCC exception. Consider any clear QAM fortunate
post #3165 of 3321 Old 08-17-2011, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLT OTA Nut View Post

Just for a reference point, those stuck with BlueRidge in Central/Eastern PA have 0 clear-QAM stations, including locals via an FCC exception. Consider any clear QAM fortunate

Damn that sucks, that's the first time, I ever heard of any PA cable company with an FCC exception (first time I heard of BlueRidge also actually), but it seemed like it was mainly Comcast and Time Warner and other big known companies that worried about waivers.

That's making me think now that ABB could easily consider getting an exception because even their PA Vice-President doesn't even like the idea of any stations free.
post #3166 of 3321 Old 08-18-2011, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedPenguin2 View Post

When my Comcast system was switching over, I initially got more channels like CN8 and PCNC but they were eventually encrypted.

The only channel I get now that I didn't before is WeatherScan. In comparison, I received more channels three to four years ago before any changes took place than I do now.
post #3167 of 3321 Old 08-29-2011, 06:49 PM

Does anybody here record MeTV especially on QAM?

If not maybe this question will still apply to somebody else similar.

I noticed that MeTV unlike RTV seems to for the most part keep audio-video sync when you watch it.

RTV seemed to have audio-video syncs watching shows live on any TV and even at my friends house, even over the air at his house, so I know it wasn't not ABB's fault via QAM.

Yet I noticed when I record MeTV via my USB TV Tuner Card (WinTV HVR-950Q) in QAM, it looks fairly nice and plays back well, but my commercial editing program is always like, "Audio Sync Errors 110" that it has to fix after the commercial editing.

Is this just due to the low bandwidth that WJAC gives MeTV or is audio/sync just very common when recording digital?

B.T.W. my program fixes any errors and the conversions look great, so I'm not worried in that sense, just curious of the answer behind it.

Maybe one day MeTV will get more bandwidth, because all I can do now is edit commercials out and that's it, if I try to make the video smaller more like a normal size like 150-175MB for 30min show vs 460MB, it starts to look terrible, LoL.
post #3168 of 3321 Old 09-07-2011, 05:25 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by clgberg View Post

Guess they are gone! A call to Comcast said one can only access these now with a $9.25 fee. I am already paying that fee twice. And there is no other option between the $1.99 boxes and the $9.25 boxes. Nice! Time to see what the FCC has to say about rules regarding carriage of local affiliate content.

The channels are on

14.1- PBS
14.2- Fox
15.1 ABC
15.2 NBC
104.2 CBS

If they ever change go to www.silicondust.com and use the channel lookup feature. They seem to be up to date fairly quickly.
post #3169 of 3321 Old 09-12-2011, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmassung View Post

The channels are on

14.1- PBS
14.2- Fox
15.1 ABC
15.2 NBC
104.2 CBS

If they ever change go to www.silicondust.com and use the channel lookup feature. They seem to be up to date fairly quickly.

Don't forget WHVL-LD (My Network TV) on 82.10!

post #3170 of 3321 Old 09-22-2011, 09:35 AM

I was rescanning my TV just to see if there were any more ClearQAM channels.

I noticed that now on all my TVs, WQED seems to have disappeared and rescans don't find it.

Anybody know if this is a temp problem because I can't find any news that ABB dropped WQED.

It was always at 76.2. I still seem WPSU at 76.4.
post #3171 of 3321 Old 09-22-2011, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedPenguin2 View Post

I was rescanning my TV just to see if there were any more ClearQAM channels.

I noticed that now on all my TVs, WQED seems to have disappeared and rescans don't find it.

Anybody know if this is a temp problem because I can't find any news that ABB dropped WQED.

It was always at 76.2. I still seem WPSU at 76.4.

EDIT: nvm, the channel reappeared much later in the night.
post #3172 of 3321 Old 10-08-2011, 07:40 AM

I'm getting crazy amounts of channels right now. All the locals plus WNEP, WVIA, WOLF, WQMY(WOLF .3), and some signal on RF 8(WWCP), 11(WBRE?), 13(WYOU?), 23(WLYH?), and 31(WSWB?).

I've received WVIA and WNEP just above the noise floor at about 30 on occasion, but they're at about 60 right now.

CRAZY WEATHER.
(I may be over-reacting a bit)

-Phillip

Edit: all gone now (11am)

post #3173 of 3321 Old 10-10-2011, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nokorola View Post

CRAZY WEATHER.

No, just Tropo ducting.
post #3174 of 3321 Old 10-12-2011, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK77 View Post

No, just Tropo ducting.

I was considering that as weather, but point taken.

post #3175 of 3321 Old 10-29-2011, 10:32 AM

Hello everyone, I hope you're all fairing well with the snow.

I have what may be a really uninformed question, but why does WPCW plan to build a translator station in Johnstown? Wouldn't it make more sense for them to build in Altooona like WJAC did so that they could get a larger viewing area?

-Phillip

post #3176 of 3321 Old 10-31-2011, 09:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nokorola View Post

I have what may be a really uninformed question, but why does WPCW plan to build a translator station in Johnstown?-Phillip

Because it's a fill-in translator (does not require a completely separate license) to replace some of what they lost in the Johnstown area when they moved from the Somerset County tower to the KDKA tower in Pittsburgh. The WJAC Altoona translator is also a fill-in but is intended to help viewers who could get analog channel 6 but lost reception with WJAC digital.
post #3177 of 3321 Old 11-01-2011, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammer View Post

Because it's a fill-in translator (does not require a completely separate license) to replace some of what they lost in the Johnstown area when they moved from the Somerset County tower to the KDKA tower in Pittsburgh.

If they wouldn't have changed television markets, they wouldn't have lost that coverage area. This 'fill-in' translator will allow them to serve two TV markets, and at the same time, cause interference to a station already on that channel in this market. CBS (CW) turned their back on this DMA...and should just stay in Pittsburgh.

post #3178 of 3321 Old 11-01-2011, 01:47 PM

First off satellite and cable in this DMA should have been stopped from airing WPCW, and then maybe CBS would have invested in the area. WPSU is another station not serving its DMA because many cannot watch their station, but they continue to hold out their hands for cash. With no Altoona/Johnstown boosters 1/2 the DMA cant watch their channels OTA.
post #3179 of 3321 Old 11-02-2011, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chum1976 View Post

WPSU is another station not serving its DMA because many cannot watch their station, but they continue to hold out their hands for cash. With no Altoona/Johnstown boosters 1/2 the DMA cant watch their channels OTA.

CBS made the decision to switch DMAs. This was their CHOICE!

The loss of WPSU's coverage in this DMA was not by WPSU's choice! The mandate by Congress to convert television to digital caused this problem. Do you really think they wanted to lose coverage on purpose? If they would have switched DMAs by choice, then I would say tough luck for them! But, the only people you should blame for this, is the awesome politicians who shoved this DTV conversion down the throat of the American people.

Maybe if you can donate enough money, they can build the 'fill-in' translators neccesary to regain the coverage area IN THEIR DMA that they lost through no fault of their own...

post #3180 of 3321 Old 11-02-2011, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 75ohms View Post

CBS made the decision to switch DMAs. This was their CHOICE!

The loss of WPSU's coverage in this DMA was not by WPSU's choice! The mandate by Congress to convert television to digital caused this problem. Do you really think they wanted to lose coverage on purpose? If they would have switched DMAs by choice, then I would say tough luck for them! But, the only people you should blame for this, is the awesome politicians who shoved this DTV conversion down the throat of the American people.

Maybe if you can donate enough money, they can build the 'fill-in' translators neccesary to regain the coverage area IN THEIR DMA that they lost through no fault of their own...

CBS made that decision which was the right choice, however since this DMA has no CW station cable and satellite should not be allowed to use WPCW in this DMA. Its not fair to our local stations.

The digital conversion was the best thing to happen for most viewers unless you live in this area. Since the conversion many people now have 20 or more channels and were able to cut the cord. WPSU planned to install boosters in Johnstown and Altoona, but scrapped them. Thank goodness for FTA satellite and my money now goes to OETA. They have a better schedule.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page