Johnstown, PA - HDTV - Page 108 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 11Likes

post #3211 of 3434 Old 08-29-2013, 12:14 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I have tried rescanning over and over and I never pick it up.

I'm hoping it's not like the did with RTV a while back where it was accidentally encrypted. (A few years ago I asked why RTV (now Me-TV) was encrypted and they said sorry we didn't know and fixed it.)

It's been about 4 days now and I still can't find it, so not sure what's up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3212 of 3434 Old 08-29-2013, 07:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedPenguin2 View Post

I have tried rescanning over and over and I never pick it up.

I'm hoping it's not like the did with RTV a while back where it was accidentally encrypted. (A few years ago I asked why RTV (now Me-TV) was encrypted and they said sorry we didn't know and fixed it.)

It's been about 4 days now and I still can't find it, so not sure what's up.

Didn't you previously say you weren't paying for anything but splitting your internet signal for TV?

You should thank your lucky stars they haven't trapped your line, and you shouldn't exactly advertise being a thief.

Maybe they finally found you.
post #3213 of 3434 Old 08-29-2013, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oriolesmagic View Post

Didn't you previously say you weren't paying for anything but splitting your internet signal for TV?

You should thank your lucky stars they haven't trapped your line, and you shouldn't exactly advertise being a thief.

Maybe they finally found you.

Yes it's true that I don't have a cable TV package but I was strictly watching ClearQAM, which I always heard was totally legal to watch, and you are the first to ever tell this wasn't the case. Also it's confusing because some Google results claim it's 100% legal while others doesn't seem to really know. So that makes it even more confusing.

And yes they did trap the line because they blocked all analog channels as would be expected after I cancelled basic cable TV service.

The head-end guy stated that they moved PBS QAM to channel 20 (was a dead analog channel) and because 20 was a previously basic cable channel, the trap is blocking ClearQAM PBS's.
post #3214 of 3434 Old 08-29-2013, 08:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Yes it's true that I don't have a cable TV package but I was strictly watching ClearQAM, which I always heard was totally legal to watch.

And yes they did trap the line because they blocked all analog channels as would be expected after I cancelled basic cable TV service.

The head-end guy stated that they moved PBS QAM to channel 20 (was a dead analog channel) and because 20 was a previously basic cable channel, the trap is blocking ClearQAM PBS's.

If you don't pay for TV, watching any TV is a form of cable theft.
post #3215 of 3434 Old 08-29-2013, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oriolesmagic View Post

If you don't pay for TV, watching any TV is a form of cable theft.

Well like I said you are the very first person out of many that has ever told me that it was not legal.

Even ABB folks themselves have never even told me, which is a tad surprising, as you would think they would have knowledge of this stuff.
post #3216 of 3434 Old 08-30-2013, 08:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Well like I said you are the very first person out of many that has ever told me that it was not legal.

Even ABB folks themselves have never even told me, which is a tad surprising, as you would think they would have knowledge of this stuff.

Is your line being split and then run to the TV?

If they came to trap your line and the cable still runs to it and works, then that's on ABB's incompetence. If you're splitting the line to your internet connection and running it to your TV, then you're blatantly stealing the signal.

Of course, none of this would be an issue if ABB would modernize like the rest of the industry and go digital.
post #3217 of 3434 Old 08-30-2013, 09:47 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
I hooked up my TV while the installer was in the house no problem. I only want it for WPCW that I cant pick up with my antenna. wink.gif
post #3218 of 3434 Old 08-31-2013, 12:52 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by chum1976 View Post

I hooked up my TV while the installer was in the house no problem. I only want it for WPCW that I cant pick up with my antenna. wink.gif

If you are in the Johnstown area and can pick up WWCP (FOX 8.1, 8.2) you should be able to get the WPCW repeater on RF channel 27.

ÂOne of the few good things about modern times: If you die horribly on television, you will not have died in vain. You will have entertained us.Â
- Kurt Vonnegut
-0-
post #3219 of 3434 Old 08-31-2013, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA_MainyYak View Post

If you are in the Johnstown area and can pick up WWCP (FOX 8.1, 8.2) you should be able to get the WPCW repeater on RF channel 27.

I don't live in Johnstown and cant pull in the CW OTA, but I do get WHVL and America One on channel 27 from State College. I cant pull in WPSU either so I use a FTA dish for the PBS stuff. Hopefully one day WPSU will slap up a repeater in Altoona.

On another topic can WATM slap another channel on their feed? I am surprised they haven't gone after antenna TV. I was able to watch it on my FTA dish one evening and enjoyed the shows.
post #3220 of 3434 Old 09-07-2013, 02:25 PM

oriolesmagic, my TVs were always hooked up because I had basic cable for like 2-3 years and never unhooked the TVs, so it was not a random split after the fact.

Also, I am about 1 mile from the WJAC transmitter and I can't seem to find Ch 27 at all and never could, so not sure what area of Johnstown it's hitting but I could never get it on an indoor antenna besides in Richland.
post #3221 of 3434 Old 09-29-2013, 04:15 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by chum1976 View Post

...On another topic can WATM slap another channel on their feed? I am surprised they haven't gone after antenna TV. I was able to watch it on my FTA dish one evening and enjoyed the shows.

I have an SD TV so I don't really notice the difference in most cases, but wouldn't adding another SD to the dual HD and ThisTV lineup make the PQ collapse on WATM and WWCP23.2?
That said, I'd love if we had a local channel like California's KAXT-CD (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/KAXT-CD) just for the experience. I'm also still waiting for a WPCW repeater that is actually useful for the Altoona/ State College portion of the market. You'd think It would be in their interest just as much as it was for WJAC to put a repeater in Altoona.
-Phillip

How can I be sure in a world that's constantly changing?
post #3222 of 3434 Old 10-01-2013, 11:53 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Lost all of my clear QAM channels on Comcast in State College last night. Tried to retune and there's nothing there anymore. Anyone else see this? I really don't want a box in my bedroom.
post #3223 of 3434 Old 10-01-2013, 05:34 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHughesPSPB View Post

Lost all of my clear QAM channels on Comcast in State College last night. Tried to retune and there's nothing there anymore. Anyone else see this? I really don't want a box in my bedroom.

Comcast turned on encryption for all previously unencrypted Clear QAM channels today.
post #3224 of 3434 Old 10-03-2013, 11:34 AM

I'm tired of Comcast and would like to cut the cord and buy an antenna. I live in Somerset and would like to get the Pittsburgh stations, especially WQED. WQED is the only high-vhf station I care about, all others are UHF. Here is my TV Fool report:

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id%3d46aec1d0580fb6

According to TV Fool, I shouldn't really be able to get anything. Over the weekend, I went to WalMart and bought a Clearstream C2V to see what I could get. I quickly ziptied that antenna to my front porch post and received the Johnstown & Altoona stations of WWCP, WJAC, WATM, and WTAJ. The signal quality, as reported by my Panasonic S60, was between 64% - 73% for the channels. I didn't try to mount the C2V any higher. I tried pointing the antenna toward Pittsburgh but couldn't pull anything in.

I can't mount an antenna on my roof because I can't get up there. The highest I can mount an antenna would be on my front porch roof about 15' off the ground. My front porch faces north. My front porch roof isn't terribly big and my wife would never let me mount a giant yagi up there.

Will the AD C2V, with a 50mi. range, be able to receive WQED and other Pittsburgh stations? I was looking at the Winegard Flatwave Air (FL6550A) which claims a VHF/UHF range of 60 miles. Will the Flatwave Air work? What about the Mohu Sky? Or must I look at a different antenna?

Thank you for your help.
post #3225 of 3434 Old 10-03-2013, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpcary View Post

I'm tired of Comcast and would like to cut the cord and buy an antenna. I live in Somerset and would like to get the Pittsburgh stations, especially WQED. WQED is the only high-vhf station I care about, all others are UHF. Here is my TV Fool report:

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id%3d46aec1d0580fb6

According to TV Fool, I shouldn't really be able to get anything. Over the weekend, I went to WalMart and bought a Clearstream C2V to see what I could get. I quickly ziptied that antenna to my front porch post and received the Johnstown & Altoona stations of WWCP, WJAC, WATM, and WTAJ. The signal quality, as reported by my Panasonic S60, was between 64% - 73% for the channels. I didn't try to mount the C2V any higher. I tried pointing the antenna toward Pittsburgh but couldn't pull anything in.

I can't mount an antenna on my roof because I can't get up there. The highest I can mount an antenna would be on my front porch roof about 15' off the ground. My front porch faces north. My front porch roof isn't terribly big and my wife would never let me mount a giant yagi up there.

Will the AD C2V, with a 50mi. range, be able to receive WQED and other Pittsburgh stations? I was looking at the Winegard Flatwave Air (FL6550A) which claims a VHF/UHF range of 60 miles. Will the Flatwave Air work? What about the Mohu Sky? Or must I look at a different antenna?

Thank you for your help.

The stations you should receive are (WJAC 6.1, MeTV 6.2, WWCP 8.1, WATM 8.2, WTAJ 10.1, WWCP 19.1) Looking at your TV fool report you will not get WQED or other Pittsburgh stations. If you really want PBS you will need a FTA dish installed.
post #3226 of 3434 Old 10-04-2013, 04:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA Send a message via Yahoo to Trip in VA
TVFool suggests that WGPT might be available for PBS.

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

post #3227 of 3434 Old 10-04-2013, 05:22 AM

Thank you guys for your help.

Is the C2V a decent antenna? Is the Winegard Flatwave Air a better antenna? There aren't too many reviews on the Flatwave Air but it seems very similar to the Mohu Sky which has been getting pretty good reviews.
post #3228 of 3434 Old 10-04-2013, 11:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 90
The C2V is a far better antenna "under the hood" than either Mohu Sky or the Flatwave Air, both of which add internal amps to try and cover up a mediocre antenna. Add a good pre-amp the C2V to "equalize" things and the result will run circles around the other two.
post #3229 of 3434 Old 10-04-2013, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjectSHO89 View Post

The C2V is a far better antenna "under the hood" than either Mohu Sky or the Flatwave Air, both of which add internal amps to try and cover up a mediocre antenna. Add a good pre-amp the C2V to "equalize" things and the result will run circles around the other two.

Would I need a high gain preamp like the Winegard AP8275, or would something like the Winegard LNA-100 or Mohu Jolt be enough? I'm not sure how to figure out how much db gain I need so I don't have signal overload.
post #3230 of 3434 Old 10-04-2013, 05:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Try the PA18 directly from Antennas Direct. It's better suited to your location and circumstances. The LNA100 and Jolt are both back-of-the-set amps, a typically useless location for an amp. The 8275 is way noisier than a PA18 and besides, the difference in gains isn't relevant unless you had long cabling or multiple splitters.

According to your TVFool plot, there isn't much signal in the air anyway. You probably need a much more substantial antenna (as well as the pre-amp).
post #3231 of 3434 Old 10-04-2013, 05:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 386 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpcary View Post

Would I need a high gain preamp like the Winegard AP8275, or would something like the Winegard LNA-100 or Mohu Jolt be enough? I'm not sure how to figure out how much db gain I need so I don't have signal overload.
The Winegard LNA-200 would be a better choice than the LNA-100. It is a true preamp, not a behind the set inline amp. And it has lower noise specs than the AP series, which is being discontinued. Or that PA-18 may also be a good choice.
post #3232 of 3434 Old 10-05-2013, 05:31 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Of the half dozen or so Winegard pre-amps that I have tested, not a single one, including the LNA200, have even come close to meeting noise figure claims. Ironically, the LNA100 is the only one out of the whole group that did meet product claims.

Tech support for Antennas Direct
post #3233 of 3434 Old 10-05-2013, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADTech View Post

Of the half dozen or so Winegard pre-amps that I have tested, not a single one, including the LNA200, have even come close to meeting noise figure claims. Ironically, the LNA100 is the only one out of the whole group that did meet product claims.

I know there isn't much signal in the air, that's why I'm surprised I got sometime in the first place. Don't get me wrong, I'm very happy I have the signals so I can finally get rid of Comcast. Thank you for all your help!

With my TV measuring 64-73% signal strength, would either the LNA-200 or PA-18 cause signal overload?
post #3234 of 3434 Old 10-05-2013, 01:15 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 41
The PA18 will not overload fro your local TV signals.

The built-in signal meter is not useful for this evaluation, so don't pay attention to it.

Tech support for Antennas Direct
post #3235 of 3434 Old 10-06-2013, 11:08 AM

In my setup, I need to run a coax adapter to join two coax cables. I know to run a preamp, you can't use a splitter prior to running the power injector, but will an adapter be okay to use before the power injector?
post #3236 of 3434 Old 10-06-2013, 05:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Straight-through F81 couplers don't change anything. They're okay inline.
post #3237 of 3434 Old 10-08-2013, 08:28 AM

I set up the C2V antenna and RCA TVPRAMP1R preamp and it works like a champ. I get Johnstown and Altoona broadcasts. Sucks I can't get WPSU. Thank you all for your help. I greatly appreciate it.
post #3238 of 3434 Old 10-23-2013, 09:28 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA_MainyYak View Post

ABB in Johnstown (and I presume Altoona) will be dropping KDKA from the lineup. They say "dozens" of HD channels will be added by fall.

Is this in the works? I have not seen any new HD channels in Altoona in a long time.
post #3239 of 3434 Old 10-23-2013, 11:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by psu85 View Post

Is this in the works? I have not seen any new HD channels in Altoona in a long time.

I've not seen or heard anything.

At this point, i think it's safe to say if you want HD, go to satellite. Atlantic Broadband is always going to be behind. And Altoona/Johnstown has been relegated to almost backwater status. The Uniontown and Cumberland lineups are a bit more respectable.

They're launching TiVo service throughout their footprint, which is great on the box front (6-tuner multi-room DVR's), but the programming is just never going to catch up. There's just so much they're missing. it's not just sports or movies, it's everything.
post #3240 of 3434 Old 10-24-2013, 02:21 PM
Advanced Member

I would not say never, but the other pieces of the ABB puzzle are getting done first. Johnstown still serves as administrative hub of the entire system. They still have to upgrade the physical plant in order to be able to insert local commercials and local inserts (ie Local on the 8s) into the various HD streams. When you start seeing local commercials on existing HD channels, I think the expansion of HD service will quickly follow.
They have made some initial steps by clearing bandwidth in shutting off some unused analog channels. The WQED and WPSU QAM HD feeds are now living in the space where the old channel 20 used to live.

It's never fast enough and I too am frustrated at how many channels remain unavailable or limited to analog SD.

ÂOne of the few good things about modern times: If you die horribly on television, you will not have died in vain. You will have entertained us.Â
- Kurt Vonnegut
-0-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page