Forum Jump: 

post #3241 of 3336 Old 10-24-2013, 04:05 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA_MainyYak View Post

I would not say never, but the other pieces of the ABB puzzle are getting done first. Johnstown still serves as administrative hub of the entire system. They still have to upgrade the physical plant in order to be able to insert local commercials and local inserts (ie Local on the 8s) into the various HD streams. When you start seeing local commercials on existing HD channels, I think the expansion of HD service will quickly follow.
They have made some initial steps by clearing bandwidth in shutting off some unused analog channels. The WQED and WPSU QAM HD feeds are now living in the space where the old channel 20 used to live.

It's never fast enough and I too am frustrated at how many channels remain unavailable or limited to analog SD.

Even where they've gone all-digital, they haven't really added many actual channels. While they've added HD channels of what they carry, there's a bunch of stuff ABB will just never add.

No MLB Network, no NHL Network, no NBA TV, no CBS Sports Network, no Tennis Channel for sports fans. (no BTN for customers in Cumberland, no BTN in HD for all-digital Uniontown).
No Cooking Channel, no Smithsonian Channel, no Crime & Investigation, no Military History, no Reelz Channel, no Ovation, no FXX or FXM for those wanting general entertainment. No NatGeo Wild for Altoona, Johnstown or Cumberland.
No 5StarMax, MovieMax or OuterMax anywhere, no ThrillerMax in Cumberland, no HBO Comedy or HBO Zone in Cumberland. No Sundance Channel.
Extremely limited On Demand offerings.
No additional HD pack. No Universal HD, AXS.TV, HDNet Movies, MGM.

Even in Cumberland and Uniontown, upgraded markets, major channels are still missing in HD. Cumberland doesn't have VH1 or CMT in HD. Uniontown doesn't have AMC in HD or ESPNU at all.

I get they need to make transitions to Cogeco. They neglected to do much of anything since they got the systems from Charter in 2004. They're just never going to have a competitive TV product when it comes to content, and in today's environment, I'm not sure there's really even much incentive for them to offer one.

They've ran the customers off who care to satellite already, they offer no substantive promotions to existing customers, with more and more people migrating to OTT video services and cutting the cord, what incentive is there for ABB to fix their noticeable content gap?

TiVo is a nice get for them. I'll be interested in seeing the new guide the TiVo will use. But I waited around for them for 3 years to fix the content problem, and they just didn't. I went to DirecTV, and I see no reason to come back.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3242 of 3336 Old 10-25-2013, 04:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
You make good points. They do seem more focused on data services, and in some respects that probably makes business sense. They are rolling out a limited menu of "watch anything on any device" streaming - including some live programming.
Bob Dylan didn't know the half of it when he sang, "the times they are achangin'."

ÂOne of the few good things about modern times: If you die horribly on television, you will not have died in vain. You will have entertained us.Â
- Kurt Vonnegut
-0-
post #3243 of 3336 Old 11-02-2013, 12:02 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi guys,

I live in State College and just purchased the C2V.  Without an amp, when I have it outside at more or less ground level, I am able to receive ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX, and PBS.  I'm pretty excited about this so I'm going to go ahead and mount the antenna on my roof.

Before doing so, I'd like to ask a question about amplifiers.  At which point is the amp inserted?  The C2V has a cable that goes from the rabbit ear antennas in to the back of the round antennas, and then another from the round antenna that goes to the TV.  Does the amp go in after the rabbit ears or does it come in off the TV Out lead?

Thanks!

Nick

post #3244 of 3336 Old 11-03-2013, 01:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
If you are receiving signals without an amp, there should be no reason to use one.

ÂOne of the few good things about modern times: If you die horribly on television, you will not have died in vain. You will have entertained us.Â
- Kurt Vonnegut
-0-
post #3245 of 3336 Old 11-03-2013, 04:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Does the amp go in after the rabbit ears or does it come in off the TV Out lead?

Should one be needed (to be determined), it would connect to the "TV OUT" connector. The other one just routes the VHF signals from the dipoles into the internal signal combiner.
post #3246 of 3336 Old 11-14-2013, 06:10 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 11
So I got a letter this week from ABB stating that they are adding HD channels in Altoona in early 2014. I wonder how many and which ones?
post #3247 of 3336 Old 11-14-2013, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psu85 View Post

So I got a letter this week from ABB stating that they are adding HD channels in Altoona in early 2014. I wonder how many and which ones?

Are they going all digital? The original plan was to implement switched digital video (SDV) and add 40-60 HD channels this Fall. Apparently that plan fell through. They went digital for all expanded basic channels in Clearfield, and added 24 HD channels, but that basically caught them up to where Altoona and Johnstown are now, and that's really not a good place.

I hope there are a ton of HD channels added in the region, and I do hope Cumberland gets some too, even though I left for DirecTV getting sick of waiting.
post #3248 of 3336 Old 11-15-2013, 08:56 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by oriolesmagic View Post

Are they going all digital? The original plan was to implement switched digital video (SDV) and add 40-60 HD channels this Fall. Apparently that plan fell through. They went digital for all expanded basic channels in Clearfield, and added 24 HD channels, but that basically caught them up to where Altoona and Johnstown are now, and that's really not a good place.

I hope there are a ton of HD channels added in the region, and I do hope Cumberland gets some too, even though I left for DirecTV getting sick of waiting.

I am not sure if it is going all digital. I called them last night and told them I was close to switching back to Directv (I had this in the past) and wanted to know what they were adding. They could not tell me other than the information would be available shortly.
post #3249 of 3336 Old 11-15-2013, 12:59 PM

Quote:

I am not sure if it is going all digital. I called them last night and told them I was close to switching back to Directv (I had this in the past) and wanted to know what they were adding. They could not tell me other than the information would be available shortly.

What channels are you anticipating? The Cumberland Atlantic Broadband lineup is a preview of 27 HD channels or so that you'll probably get. Cumberland is not all digital, but an 860MHz system with Motorola boxes. Channels that Cumberland has that Altoona/Johnstown do not include AMC HD, Bravo HD, Cartoon Network HD, Comedy Central HD, Disney XD HD, ESPNU HD, Fox Business Network HD, Fox Sports 1 HD, Golf Channel HD, Hallmark Channel HD, HLN HD, IFC HD, LMN HD, MSNBC HD, MTV HD, Nickelodeon HD, Spike HD, Travel Channel HD, TCM HD, Weather Channel HD, HBO 2 HD, HBO Signature HD, HBO Family HD, Showtime 2 HD, Showtime Showcase HD, The Movie Channel HD and Starz Edge HD.

I'd say you'd at least get those. I don't know if you'd get any more than that. Even if you get that many, Atlantic Broadband's offering is still going to be inferior to DirecTV.
post #3250 of 3336 Old 11-21-2013, 02:46 PM

Quote:

I got the same letter, and it mentions something about Tivo. I have an old (lifetime subscription) Series 2 SD tivo, and I love the way it works in terms of finding programs, setting season passes, etc. Does anyone know (or have an educated guess) what we will have to do or pay to get a Tivo HD DVR rather than the crappy Cisco DVR ABB uses now? How will they "roll out" the Tivo boxes?

While I'm happy about new HD channels, I more excited about getting a Tivo box, so long as ABB doesn't screw us with fees or no availability
post #3251 of 3336 Old 11-21-2013, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanbrew View Post

I got the same letter, and it mentions something about Tivo. I have an old (lifetime subscription) Series 2 SD tivo, and I love the way it works in terms of finding programs, setting season passes, etc. Does anyone know (or have an educated guess) what we will have to do or pay to get a Tivo HD DVR rather than the crappy Cisco DVR ABB uses now? How will they "roll out" the Tivo boxes?

While I'm happy about new HD channels, I more excited about getting a Tivo box, so long as ABB doesn't screw us with fees or no availability

Cumberland was the first market to get the TiVo units, and the website showed the pricing before, but I can't find it now.

I believe it's an additional $10/month for TiVo service from the DVR fees. It's not cheap.
post #3252 of 3336 Old 11-22-2013, 05:56 AM

Quote:

Cumberland was the first market to get the TiVo units, and the website showed the pricing before, but I can't find it now.

I believe it's an additional $10/month for TiVo service from the DVR fees. It's not cheap.

I'm disappointed to hear that. After all, you're trading one DVR for another. Granted, the Tivo is better in almost all respects, so I would probably be willing to pay some extra. $10 a month doesn't sound too bad. Any more than that would be upsetting. I guess I'll wait patiently.
post #3253 of 3336 Old 01-15-2014, 02:47 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Anybody know more of what ABB is actually setting up?

At my buddy's house (JTown) who has analog cable only (Value), he's starting to see tons of digital channels of all randomness but mostly extra locals like WHVL, WTAE, etc.

Yet some of these channels have no audio or bizarrely audio from a totally different channel? I can see the no audio but unsure how you get another channel's audio.

Also why would ABB want duplicates? We are seeing a second WPCW and WJAC even though ABB already had those on digital.

From what I read here it sounds like ABB isn't planning on getting rid of the analog all together, so are they just offering better quality channels in the digital tier?

ABB seems to be very confusing in Uniontown my buddy said they seem to have gone 100% digital requiring even digital TVs to use a DTA for the Value package.

Yet online newspapers say Gainsville and other areas in MD/DE don't need a DTA at all except for Analog TVs.

You would think they would have the same setup everywhere to simplify stuff, LoL.

The main reason we need to know is, I don't know if I should tell my buddy to keep his Hauppauge PVR-USB2 as a homemade DVR for his analog or tell him go straight to an HDHomeRun Prime (half-off on NewEgg) as his analog will be gone.
post #3254 of 3336 Old 01-15-2014, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedPenguin2 View Post

Anybody know more of what ABB is actually setting up?

At my buddy's house (JTown) who has analog cable only (Value), he's starting to see tons of digital channels of all randomness but mostly extra locals like WHVL, WTAE, etc.

Yet some of these channels have no audio or bizarrely audio from a totally different channel? I can see the no audio but unsure how you get another channel's audio.

Also why would ABB want duplicates? We are seeing a second WPCW and WJAC even though ABB already had those on digital.

From what I read here it sounds like ABB isn't planning on getting rid of the analog all together, so are they just offering better quality channels in the digital tier?

ABB seems to be very confusing in Uniontown my buddy said they seem to have gone 100% digital requiring even digital TVs to use a DTA for the Value package.

Yet online newspapers say Gainsville and other areas in MD/DE don't need a DTA at all except for Analog TVs.

You would think they would have the same setup everywhere to simplify stuff, LoL.

The main reason we need to know is, I don't know if I should tell my buddy to keep his Hauppauge PVR-USB2 as a homemade DVR for his analog or tell him go straight to an HDHomeRun Prime (half-off on NewEgg) as his analog will be gone.

Uniontown is a 550MHz system, they had to go all-digital or they couldn't do anything. Until 2011 or so, they had nothing. No On Demand, no HD, I don't think they had phone access yet either.

Here in Cumberland, there are still 76 analog channels on an 860MHz system (With 79 HD channels). Altoona/Johnstown is 750MHz. There's no consistency, rhyme or reason in these systems, they were Charter's rejects, and where they are now depends on where Charter left them back in 2004.

From what I'm seeing on ABB's Get Digital page, Clearfield and Shippenville are only having the Value tier go all digital, so the basic channels will still remain analog and unencrypted for now. One thing they did down here in Cumberland was do a digital simulcast, having a digital version of every analog channel. This was to help CableCard users be able to receive all content with their tuners, however it does take up more bandwidth. It was supposed to be the first step in a digital transition, and that was a year and a half ago here. I'm guessing Altoona/Johnstown are getting a digital simulcast now if they didn't have one already. I do know they have moved some of the subchannels on the Basic tier into the 100's, and that was what they did in Clearfield and Shippenville. I'm guessing this means Altoona/Johnstown will soon be going all-digital, which is long overdue.
RedPenguin2 likes this.
post #3255 of 3336 Old 01-15-2014, 07:34 PM

Quote:

Uniontown is a 550MHz system, they had to go all-digital or they couldn't do anything. Until 2011 or so, they had nothing. No On Demand, no HD, I don't think they had phone access yet either.

Here in Cumberland, there are still 76 analog channels on an 860MHz system (With 79 HD channels). Altoona/Johnstown is 750MHz. There's no consistency, rhyme or reason in these systems, they were Charter's rejects, and where they are now depends on where Charter left them back in 2004.

From what I'm seeing on ABB's Get Digital page, Clearfield and Shippenville are only having the Value tier go all digital, so the basic channels will still remain analog and unencrypted for now. One thing they did down here in Cumberland was do a digital simulcast, having a digital version of every analog channel. This was to help CableCard users be able to receive all content with their tuners, however it does take up more bandwidth. It was supposed to be the first step in a digital transition, and that was a year and a half ago here. I'm guessing Altoona/Johnstown are getting a digital simulcast now if they didn't have one already. I do know they have moved some of the subchannels on the Basic tier into the 100's, and that was what they did in Clearfield and Shippenville. I'm guessing this means Altoona/Johnstown will soon be going all-digital, which is long overdue.

Thanks so much for the info. I seen your messages before, you truly seem to know your stuff, and funny thing is I thought I knew my stuff, LoL.

Anyway, wonder why ABB didn't want Uniontown to be like Grasonville and just let folks who have Value just simply use their digital TVs and only DTA for analog TVs.

EDIt: I meant Grasonville not Gainsville http://www.qac.org/Docs/PublicWorks/digitalmigration_082010.pdf

I think you are probably so right about JTown. For one I always heard what they do to Cumberland they like to do to Altoona/JTown but also because there must be 2 (ShopHQ & Insp) if not more channels they flat out say either have a DTV or get a DTA. So that matches up exactly with what you are saying to me. They must be taking the Gainsville method in JTown as they are telling folks to do so to watch.
post #3256 of 3336 Old 01-15-2014, 11:00 PM

Quote:

Thanks so much for the info. I seen your messages before, you truly seem to know your stuff, and funny thing is I thought I knew my stuff, LoL.

Anyway, wonder why ABB didn't want Uniontown to be like Grasonville and just let folks who have Value just simply use their digital TVs and only DTA for analog TVs.

EDIt: I meant Grasonville not Gainsville http://www.qac.org/Docs/PublicWorks/digitalmigration_082010.pdf

I think you are probably so right about JTown. For one I always heard what they do to Cumberland they like to do to Altoona/JTown but also because there must be 2 (ShopHQ & Insp) if not more channels they flat out say either have a DTV or get a DTA. So that matches up exactly with what you are saying to me. They must be taking the Gainsville method in JTown as they are telling folks to do so to watch.

ABB operates like separate companies. Western PA is a separate unit in the company, Maryland/Delaware is another separate unit. Each have their own operating managers, each make their own programming contracts as far as I'm aware. Cumberland is grouped with Altoona/Johnstown and partially Uniontown, not the Eastern Shore. And then South Carolina (the former G-Force area) and South Florida are different beasts unto themselves. As I understand it, South Florida is all-digital, and their HD channels come unencrypted via QAM to digital TV's. I know this is not the case in Cumberland except for local channels in HD.

Really, in 2014, there's no reason to continue milking analog signals. I don't know what the delay has been for Altoona/Johnstown. It used to be that they got the same things as we got, with a few exceptions. Then somewhere over the last 3 years, Cumberland got everything, and Altoona/Johnstown got the shaft.
post #3257 of 3336 Old 02-09-2014, 12:47 AM

What all tiers does ABB offer CableCards for?

I know a few folks who only have Limited Basic, some who have Value, and actually nobody with digital except Digital Upgrade.

I'm curious with all this talk of SDV and simulcast if Limited Basic or Value folks can actually get CableCards or if you actually need to go to the Digital tiers.

I can't find any of this info on their website, go figure.

I ask because if you are a Limited Basic customer, with access to 3-22 only, how you can access the simulcast channels (then again how can they access Me-TV, This, QVC Plus, etc?)
post #3258 of 3336 Old 02-09-2014, 10:13 PM

Quote:

What all tiers does ABB offer CableCards for?

I know a few folks who only have Limited Basic, some who have Value, and actually nobody with digital except Digital Upgrade.

I'm curious with all this talk of SDV and simulcast if Limited Basic or Value folks can actually get CableCards or if you actually need to go to the Digital tiers.

I can't find any of this info on their website, go figure.

I ask because if you are a Limited Basic customer, with access to 3-22 only, how you can access the simulcast channels (then again how can they access Me-TV, This, QVC Plus, etc?)

A digital QAM tuner can access any of the unencrypted digital channels for Limited Basic customers. That's how they could access them. For a while, HBO Family HD and Showtime 2 HD were unencrypted here inexplicably. They didn't do anything about that for months.

A CableCard is useless with an analog signal. I would guess they offer them with all tiers, but without a digital simulcast, an HTPC wouldn't recognize them.
post #3259 of 3336 Old 02-10-2014, 08:26 AM

Quote:

A digital QAM tuner can access any of the unencrypted digital channels for Limited Basic customers. That's how they could access them. For a while, HBO Family HD and Showtime 2 HD were unencrypted here inexplicably. They didn't do anything about that for months.

A CableCard is useless with an analog signal. I would guess they offer them with all tiers, but without a digital simulcast, an HTPC wouldn't recognize them.

Oh ok, so then I guess a Limited Basic Customer must only have 23-70ish trap then not 23-117 (750MHZ) type trap.

Though I always wondered how many folks actually only had Limited Basic anyway, it seems rare just like Internet only and even Digital service. It just seems like almost everybody I've ever known it's always been Value. Would be interesting to see some ABB stats on this. (National Stats claim Value or whatever other cable companies decide to name it, is the most common as well).
post #3260 of 3336 Old 02-10-2014, 04:26 PM

Quote:

Oh ok, so then I guess a Limited Basic Customer must only have 23-70ish trap then not 23-117 (750MHZ) type trap.

Though I always wondered how many folks actually only had Limited Basic anyway, it seems rare just like Internet only and even Digital service. It just seems like almost everybody I've ever known it's always been Value. Would be interesting to see some ABB stats on this. (National Stats claim Value or whatever other cable companies decide to name it, is the most common as well).

Internet only isn't that rare with so many people flocking to Dish and DirecTV. Anyone who cares about their internet access can't handle Verizon DSL.

A lot of the people receiving the Value tier (the locals) are receiving it because it's unencrypted, and that's precisely why ABB should prioritize its revenue-generating customers over thieves, go all-digital and encrypt everything.
post #3261 of 3336 Old 02-10-2014, 05:29 PM

Oh I totally agree with the Verizon DSL.

My one buddy has it and he says during "prime" hours he can't even watch YouTube.

ABB might price their Internet fairly high and many folks I know in other areas tell me I pay too much, but at least I don't have issues like that.
post #3262 of 3336 Old 02-11-2014, 04:00 PM

Quote:

Oh I totally agree with the Verizon DSL.

My one buddy has it and he says during "prime" hours he can't even watch YouTube.

ABB might price their Internet fairly high and many folks I know in other areas tell me I pay too much, but at least I don't have issues like that.

ABB is cheaper than Comcast for internet, and their internet is uncapped.
post #3263 of 3336 Old 02-12-2014, 12:18 PM

Quote:

ABB is cheaper than Comcast for internet, and their internet is uncapped.

Oh that is another important point for ABB's Internet.

I stream a fair amount of online video and I basically "thank my lucky stars" many times just thinking/hearing of Comcast and other companies putting a cap on bandwidth.
post #3264 of 3336 Old 02-21-2014, 12:20 PM

It appears ABB in JTown is not only taking the SDV route but also the simulcasting route.

So far they seem to have gotten the entire Limited Basic channel set, simulcasting.

It doesn't appear from what I can tell that they have completed much of the Value tier.

I assume it must take a fair amount of time, as it took a week alone to even get the Limited Basic channels stable. They were freezing off and on, no audio on some, and even some had the wrong audio track for about a week straight.

So if 20 some stations gave that many issues, I guess another 50 or so more would take a while.

Though I guess they probably have to free up more room with the SDV and get folks to actually get the SDV boxes before they have more room to add every single analog channel to simulcast.
post #3265 of 3336 Old 02-23-2014, 05:43 PM

They started a digital simulcast in Cumberland 2 years ago or so, and I was told at that time it was the first step in a digital transition that has never happened.
post #3266 of 3336 Old 02-23-2014, 06:19 PM

Quote:

They started a digital simulcast in Cumberland 2 years ago or so, and I was told at that time it was the first step in a digital transition that has never happened.

That's what I kind of figured.

Not sure what took us in JTown/Altoona so long to get it ourselves.

It does appear to look a fair amount better than the normal analog channels.

My buddy who has Value and has either 4 or 5 total TVs, has a fair amount of snow or black wavy bars in some of his lower number channels and some upper.

Like for some reason 65 Nickelodeon looks great but 69 truTV could be better quality.

The simulcasts do "pixelate" or "square-up" on fast-motion, but I guess what can you do

EDIT: oriolesmagic, does your area (Cumberland) still only simulcast Limited Basic unencrypted or have they moved to doing Value also? (Last I heard on dslreports, it was only LB).
post #3267 of 3336 Old 02-24-2014, 04:19 PM

Quote:

That's what I kind of figured.

Not sure what took us in JTown/Altoona so long to get it ourselves.

It does appear to look a fair amount better than the normal analog channels.

My buddy who has Value and has either 4 or 5 total TVs, has a fair amount of snow or black wavy bars in some of his lower number channels and some upper.

Like for some reason 65 Nickelodeon looks great but 69 truTV could be better quality.

The simulcasts do "pixelate" or "square-up" on fast-motion, but I guess what can you do

EDIT: oriolesmagic, does your area (Cumberland) still only simulcast Limited Basic unencrypted or have they moved to doing Value also? (Last I heard on dslreports, it was only LB).

It was everything here on Value tier in digital the last I checked, but I left ABB in August 2013, and it was sometime before that. I remember there was a digital version of TV Land and OWN.
post #3268 of 3336 Old 02-24-2014, 04:28 PM

Quote:

It was everything here on Value tier in digital the last I checked, but I left ABB in August 2013, and it was sometime before that. I remember there was a digital version of TV Land and OWN.

Ok thanks. I wasn't sure because this thread:

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r27464233-Cumberland-Analog-Expanded-Basic-Channels-Out

Made it sound like ABB only did Limited Basic unencrypted and not Value channels unencrypted in Cumberland.
post #3269 of 3336 Old 02-25-2014, 04:34 PM

Quote:

Ok thanks. I wasn't sure because this thread:

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r27464233-Cumberland-Analog-Expanded-Basic-Channels-Out

Made it sound like ABB only did Limited Basic unencrypted and not Value channels unencrypted in Cumberland.

That thread was older when they first started having all channels in digital. It grew to all of the value channels a few months after that. As for what they're doing now or whether they're unencrypted, I don't know.
post #3270 of 3336 Old 02-25-2014, 06:21 PM

Quote:

That thread was older when they first started having all channels in digital. It grew to all of the value channels a few months after that. As for what they're doing now or whether they're unencrypted, I don't know.

Guess we will just have to wait and see. But that would be a "dream come true" because then folks who have Digital TVs, Digital TV Tuner for the PC, etc would not be burdened by total junky cable company provided boxes. (Just look at all the Comcast & Time Warner box insanity).

I guess also if you have unencrypted analog it doesn't do too much to encrypt digital versions of the exact same thing.

It's just so odd to see Comcast and other companies killing ClearQAM for good mostly and yet ABB, WOW Cable, a company in Iowa, and I believe ABB's parent company Cogeco, seem to actually be welcoming it.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page