Johnstown, PA - HDTV - Page 111 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #3301 of 3320 Old 03-26-2014, 07:52 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The only reason I stick with their internet right now is being able to watch the QAM channels. If they encrypt them I am switching to centurylink, and will subscribe to Dish networks welcome pack. It will be cheaper than what I am paying for now, and most folks I know switched to centurylink with no problems. I like ABB but 62.95 a month for internet is more than double centurylinks current deal price.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3302 of 3320 Old 03-26-2014, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chum1976 View Post

The only reason I stick with their internet right now is being able to watch the QAM channels. If they encrypt them I am switching to centurylink, and will subscribe to Dish networks welcome pack. It will be cheaper than what I am paying for now, and most folks I know switched to centurylink with no problems. I like ABB but 62.95 a month for internet is more than double centurylinks current deal price.

Will be a long time before they can ever encrypt them all (Limited Basic in specific), as they refuse to ever shut off Limited Basic analog for any area, which makes them non "all-digital" per the FCC.

Though I still wonder how long cable will last as an "philosophy", it just seems like it's getting more and more expensive, more and more boring, and doesn't really compete against on-demand type services like Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime, etc.

I still think most folks who really pay expensive cable really only care about sports, possibly HBO, otherwise I just see folks resorting to methods like iTunes and just buying episodes.
post #3303 of 3320 Old 03-26-2014, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedPenguin2 View Post

Will be a long time before they can ever encrypt them all (Limited Basic in specific), as they refuse to ever shut off Limited Basic analog for any area, which makes them non "all-digital" per the FCC.

Though I still wonder how long cable will last as an "philosophy", it just seems like it's getting more and more expensive, more and more boring, and doesn't really compete against on-demand type services like Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime, etc.

I still think most folks who really pay expensive cable really only care about sports, possibly HBO, otherwise I just see folks resorting to methods like iTunes and just buying episodes.

My neighbor could no longer afford cable so I gave her my spare indoor amplified antenna I paid $8.00 for at big lots to use and she picks up the four nets plus WKBS, MeTV & THIS. She is a widow and was very happy to have free TV. She went several months without any TV because she thought OTA was long gone. Great feeling to help someone out. smile.gif
post #3304 of 3320 Old 03-26-2014, 01:48 PM

oriolesmagic maybe you or somebody with similar knowledge can answer this one. I noticed my friend in Uniontown, who has the Value HD package has very interesting ClearQAM results.

Almost every one of his QAM's are what would be "Value" in most areas.

18-7 CBS
19-6 - W PBS
19-5 - Zuus Country
19-3 - MyNetTV
20-2 - Fox
20-9 NBC
23-3 - ion
24-2 - QVC
24-2 QVCHD
30-2 ppv small
30-3 fox 8 HD (they appear to not have WWCP SD)
30-4 ctvn
37-1 WQED
42-4 MeTV
46-3 HSN
48-10 CW

This was just a rough scan using the computer so we probably missed some here and there, for example "This" we did not find.

Anyway, we noticed as you and I believe osravens on DSLReports before that the analog for Limited Basic is still there, so my question is, do they remove the traps once they go "all-digital"? I mean how would they block analog from Internet-only yet allow Limited Basic customers receive their ClearQAM/CableCard. I assume they must use Internet-only traps that block 2-22 but as he has such a big package, no way I could test this theory.
post #3305 of 3320 Old 03-26-2014, 05:17 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 33
For a while, they had WWCP HD to have FOX in HD in Uniontown. For some reason, they didn't have WPGH in HD. Sinclair is notoriously hard to deal with, so that could be why. I figure Sinclair will shut that down whenever contract negotiations come up again.

As for CenturyLink, their internet will be extremely slow. I'm not aware of anywhere that has both CenturyLink and Atlantic Broadband. I know CenturyLink is in Bedford County, but Atlantic Broadband is not. Does CenturyLink serve some of the more rural parts of Blair County? I know they don't service Somerset or Cambria County. To my knowledge, CenturyLink doesn't offer anything higher than 3 Mbps in PA. That won't stream video very well, especially if multiple computers will be used at once. You really should be thanking your lucky stars you're getting anything unencrypted, I'm sure you know it's unethical, and would be illegal if they ever decided to enforce it.

Here, I get 30/3 internet for $59.99, it was $57.99 before. I own my own modem (a Motorola SB6121). Verizon would be more expensive for internet 10 times slower, and I'd have to pay for a phone line I'd never use or want. CenturyLink will likely require the same.

As for the previous poster discussing ABB raising their rates, that's what they do. They entice people, and then gouge them after a year or two. They tell you this in advance, but it doesn't make their services competitive at all. They were charging me $188/month when I left and I didn't even subscribe to any premium movie channels beyond the Starz/Encore/Plex bundled with the digital package. I didn't even have a DVR. That was absolute robbery, and at that time, I only had 10/1 internet.

All retentions will do when you mention any other competitor is bash them instead of promoting their own services. They won't really offer you any sort of deal to stay. They send me flyers pretty often to come back for their TV. Even when I'm with DirecTV for a year, I will still pay less than what I did before with Atlantic Broadband, and I get a ton more channels, many of which Atlantic Broadband won't offer at any price. I can watch MLB Network, CBS Sports Network and NBA TV whenever I want. I have access to BTN (which is not available in Cumberland). Ovation is a pretty good channel. I get so much more in HD. My Grandma likes RFD TV. You couldn't pay me to go back to Atlantic Broadband for television. DirecTV's technology is also light years ahead of what ABB was offering before the TiVo, and likely still is.
post #3306 of 3320 Old 03-27-2014, 11:52 AM

Quote:

My neighbor could no longer afford cable so I gave her my spare indoor amplified antenna I paid $8.00 for at big lots to use and she picks up the four nets plus WKBS, MeTV & THIS. She is a widow and was very happy to have free TV. She went several months without any TV because she thought OTA was long gone. Great feeling to help someone out. smile.gif

If I may ask, what area are you in for ABB anyway?

I have the same question as oriolesmagic, where I don't really see any areas that have both CenturyLink and ABB.

Also just for my curiosity, since you are getting ClearQAM with Internet-only, if you live in an area with analog still or one that went "all-digital". (Quotes since Limited Basic is still analog).
post #3307 of 3320 Old 03-27-2014, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedPenguin2 View Post

If I may ask, what area are you in for ABB anyway?

I have the same question as oriolesmagic, where I don't really see any areas that have both CenturyLink and ABB.

Also just for my curiosity, since you are getting ClearQAM with Internet-only, if you live in an area with analog still or one that went "all-digital". (Quotes since Limited Basic is still analog).

Hello, I am in the Claysburg area.

The QAM channels are to be provided as a lifeline for broadband subscribers. All must carry and their subchannels are to be unencrypted. If the company does go all digital they must apply for a waiver from the FCC and offer the must carry channels in analog. This came from a worker with the company.
post #3308 of 3320 Old 03-27-2014, 08:23 PM

Quote:

Hello, I am in the Claysburg area.

The QAM channels are to be provided as a lifeline for broadband subscribers. All must carry and their subchannels are to be unencrypted. If the company does go all digital they must apply for a waiver from the FCC and offer the must carry channels in analog. This came from a worker with the company.

Local channels forfeit their rights to must-carry whenever they receive retransmission content fees. Only WKBS and maybe WHVL out of State College would apply under that logic. WTAJ, WJAC, WWCP, WATM, WPCW are all receiving fees, considerable ones now.

The FCC has allowed for encryption if the system is all-digital, which ABB is not. There is no lifeline for television service. ABB, if they chose to (and they do down here), can legally trap the signals for television for customers not paying for it. Many cable companies charge a fee for those customers not receiving TV service through them, Atlantic Broadband is one of the few that do not.

I didn't know CenturyLink served any parts of Blair County. I did know that most of Blair County was in Atlantic Broadband's footprint. Tyrone and Williamsburg however are serviced from Comcast's Huntingdon headend.
post #3309 of 3320 Old 04-05-2014, 09:22 PM

Anybody know of a place to find old ABB channel lists?

In Johnstown I am just curious what ABB dropped that we have so many blank channels.

I know that Ch 16 was WPSU World, Channel 54 was Insp, 6 was TVGuide then became WJAC, but I was curious what Ch 20 was & 67 was.

I guess we must have never had an analog 95 & 96.

You'd figure Google would provide these answers but I couldn't seem to find anything.

EDIT: http://en.academic.ru/dic.nsf/enwiki/2842999 and some similar results claim 20 was WIUP, a college run station from IUP.
post #3310 of 3320 Old 04-06-2014, 04:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
WIUP was never on the ABB lineup, but has been available on many other local systems that have since been absorbed by Comcast. 20 was a shopping channel. Analog interference made it unsuitable and they eventually vacated it.
WPSU World, INSP, C-SPAN2 and a shopping channel were among the first to become all digital. TV Guide channel occupied 6 even though it was subject to analog interference from WJAC's original transmitter. When the analog OTAs went dark, interference on 6 went away. When the TV Guide channel was discontinued, 6 was available for WJAC.
We lost KDKA just as several years ago WPXI was dropped over lack of retransmission agreements. TV Guide channel went out if business, and the other ones are digital.

ÂOne of the few good things about modern times: If you die horribly on television, you will not have died in vain. You will have entertained us.Â
- Kurt Vonnegut
-0-
post #3311 of 3320 Old 04-06-2014, 08:26 PM

TVGN is not out of business, in fact, it's available in HD on Comcast.

The only advice I can give you for old lineups is to use microfilm of old newspapers, and find the TV listings from those time periods to determine the lineup. I did this for a project I worked on here in Cumberland. I know for a fact ABB does not have this information on hand.
post #3312 of 3320 Old 05-03-2014, 07:53 PM

Does anybody know, in the Johnstown area does ABB not offer "actual" HD?

I always thought the way folks bragged about HD, it was practically crystal-clear.

Yet at my buddy's house, he has the Value package and we sometimes watch WPCW, WJAC, etc in HD on ABB.

Yet I noticed if you look close at the TV on the HD channels from ABB, many seem to have "flaring"-like effects on channel logos.

But where I really noticed confusing results where when a person on TV has a black or similar color suit on, it's like it appears like analog-type "snow" is on their suits.

I know OTA digital is supposed to be better & less compressed but I never heard of it having snow and similar.
post #3313 of 3320 Old 05-04-2014, 03:57 PM
Advanced Member

Are you watching through a HD set top box? Or tuning in the separate HD versions of those channels (WJAC 85.3, WTAJ 77.1, etc)?

ÂOne of the few good things about modern times: If you die horribly on television, you will not have died in vain. You will have entertained us.Â
- Kurt Vonnegut
-0-
post #3314 of 3320 Old 05-04-2014, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA_MainyYak View Post

Are you watching through a HD set top box? Or tuning in the separate HD versions of those channels (WJAC 85.3, WTAJ 77.1, etc)?

The separate HD versions on the TV(s) not using a box of any sort.
post #3315 of 3320 Old 06-26-2014, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA_MainyYak View Post
I rescanned on my kitchen TV (Sony Bravia) and then went into the Shown/Hidden menu to view everything. The Sony locks in the encrypted channels but hides them by default. I manually transcribed the multiple pages and dumped into a spreadsheet.

As an interesting aside, as ABB techs have been doing this work, I have noticed periodic but brief disruptions of various HD channels as well as ongoing problems with On Demand content.
I guess we'll have to wait and see where ABB lands on the open vs encrypted discussion.
Out of curiosity, are you still experiencing these issues?

The reason I ask is because I setup an HDHomeRun PRIME with CableCARD for a friend of mine.

We notice while normally everything records well, and when watching his signal levels, he will get about 96-100% Signal Strength, Signal Quality, & Symbol Quality, according to his tuner.

Yet we have been noticing odd things happening with ABB lately, like the other day physical channel 96, that hosts FX HD and Nat Geo HD, apparently just disappeared without trace for hours. Just became a dead channel.

Also on some of the digital simulcast channels, we are getting "unexplained" video/audio screw ups to where we have to re-record the episode.

I'm basically trying to find out if it's just ABB, because we have checked his PC is fast enough to do the recordings, normally said recordings are error free, so we think it has to be.

I just figure, you probably wouldn't get an answer if you called ABB like "Are You sending video errors?". LoL.
post #3316 of 3320 Old 06-27-2014, 04:48 AM
Advanced Member

Yes, I've noticed similar issues from time to time. I suspect it's more system tweaking as they continue the transition to digital as well as load balancing to accommodate higher internet throughput demand.
post #3317 of 3320 Old 06-27-2014, 07:29 AM

Liked: 12
Does Comcast in J/A still offer the local channels in unencrypted QAM? I live in New Britain, CT near Hartford. Last summer, they shut off the QAM channels which I was receiving without the need of any converter. That included the locals in HD and their subchannels. They forced me to rent (free for the first 2 years) a chincy little converter with a channel 3/4 switch on the back. Of course everything is passed through in glorious 4:3 analog. It's like I'm watching cable from 20 years ago. I had to bring out an old indoor antenna with the two VHF rods, just to get the locals in HD again.

Like J/A, Hartford/New Haven is a market which was merged together in the early 1950s We have ABC and MY from New Haven, CBS, FOX, PBS and Univision [Spanish] from Hartford, NBC from here in New Britain, CW from Waterbury and ION from New London. The market is 7 counties (CT minus Fairfield County) but has sites in 4 different areas (Avon, Farmington, Hamden and Montville). I only get our ABC from New Haven due to that indoor antenna having the VHF rods (channel 8 uses channel 10 for their digital).

Getting this back to your market again...I have a friend in Gallitzin (Cambria County). He has Comcast but doesn't use an antenna at all.
post #3318 of 3320 Old 07-25-2014, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEVINL71 View Post
Does Comcast in J/A still offer the local channels in unencrypted QAM? I live in New Britain, CT near Hartford. Last summer, they shut off the QAM channels which I was receiving without the need of any converter. That included the locals in HD and their subchannels. They forced me to rent (free for the first 2 years) a chincy little converter with a channel 3/4 switch on the back. Of course everything is passed through in glorious 4:3 analog. It's like I'm watching cable from 20 years ago. I had to bring out an old indoor antenna with the two VHF rods, just to get the locals in HD again.

Like J/A, Hartford/New Haven is a market which was merged together in the early 1950s We have ABC and MY from New Haven, CBS, FOX, PBS and Univision [Spanish] from Hartford, NBC from here in New Britain, CW from Waterbury and ION from New London. The market is 7 counties (CT minus Fairfield County) but has sites in 4 different areas (Avon, Farmington, Hamden and Montville). I only get our ABC from New Haven due to that indoor antenna having the VHF rods (channel 8 uses channel 10 for their digital).

Getting this back to your market again...I have a friend in Gallitzin (Cambria County). He has Comcast but doesn't use an antenna at all.
Does anybody know off hand what exactly "HD Upgrade" is for ABB?

On their "Fee Chart" they list "HD Upgrade $7"

No where on their website or anywhere does it mention exactly what they mean by this.

I am wondering do they charge this fee to access HD + the cost of a box/CC or is the $7 fee the cost of the box and they are just calling it "HD Upgrade?"
post #3319 of 3320 Old 08-18-2014, 10:51 PM

More HD Channels in JTown....

Just wanted to give folks a heads up if they didn't already notice.

On a TV I noticed 85.1 and I was like, that didn't exist before.

Then I noticed, in the channel list, at least the following HD's have showed up that were never there before.

748 MTV HD
751 CMT HD
752 Spike HD
765 Nick HD
753 Hallmark HD
769 truTV HD (So awesome to have this, was so jealous of my buddy in the Uniontown Market )
826 - HBO 2 HD
841 - Showtime 2 HD

They all seem to be in the 109-110 area. Guess ABB decided they don't need like 7 channels dedicated to VOD as they appearntly were doing.

Still not sure if they will ever do anything with physical channel 2.

When they got rid of KDKA they made it sound like they were dying to free up space for digital, yet the channel is still dead.....

EDIT: I notice that the new channels have bizzare Program IDs, such as "2249" for truTVHD and "206" for Spike HD.

Are these numbers just flat out random (I believe they can be basically random) or is it a sign we are going to be soon required to have an SDV tuning adapter?

Last edited by RedPenguin2; 08-19-2014 at 05:36 PM.
post #3320 of 3320 Old 09-12-2014, 12:46 PM

Just a word of warning for anybody who has Limited Basic in the JTown/Altoona market.

For some reason even though Insp, ShopHQ, WPSU World/DT3, and CSPAN2 are considered Limited Basic channels and always have been except Insp which at one point was Value on 54, has been moved basic to channel 54, where they were in Dec 2013 when the 4 were converted to digital.

They were moved to Ch 90 in an attempt I believe to allow Limited Basic subscribers to access the channels since you can't due to ABB using traps due to still having analog in the area, Ch 54.

Hopefully ABB will realize this mistake as it literally took 4 channels away from paying customers.....

EDIT:
Just an update to folks. Somebody at ABB must have gotten the hint, LoL.

These channels have reappeared on Ch 93, again a location that folks with Limited Basic can again get the channels they are paying for.

Apparently never call for an "serious" issue like this, when I called when it first happened, they tried telling me the website info is old and the channels were moved to Value now. I was like "yah......". Looks like they were a tad wrong even though it was supposedly supervisors saying it.

Last edited by RedPenguin2; Yesterday at 09:48 AM.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page