Johnstown, PA - HDTV - Page 115 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 11Likes

post #3421 of 3445 Old 05-22-2015, 07:46 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA_MainyYak View Post
So in answer to your question, the change in programming does not trigger a renegotiation.
What about changes in ownership?

One person's craziness is another person's reality. - Tim Burton
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3422 of 3445 Old 05-22-2015, 08:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvcg66b3r View Post
What about changes in ownership?

No. New owners inherit contract terms and conditions.

ÂOne of the few good things about modern times: If you die horribly on television, you will not have died in vain. You will have entertained us.Â
- Kurt Vonnegut
-0-
post #3423 of 3445 Old 05-28-2015, 04:04 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by stingray2772 View Post
I'm not sure if this is the correct place for it or not, but I have a few questions about OTA.

I live in Houtzdale and am using an ANT-751 in the attic (actually picked it up a few years ago at Lowes for about $10). Since then I've been getting CBS(WTAJ), ABC, Fox, and This... and recently have been getting AntennaTV. My question to everyone is, are there other channels that I *could* get? I'm a complete noob. I took my cell phone up in the attic, aimed the Antenna and checked that I received the channels. My wife is against having an 'ugly antenna hanging off the roof' but if it is a matter of possibly upgrading antenna then that might be possible. I checked out the Mohu Sky but I would be hesitant to spending that much money only to find out no additional channels can be added. I do have a split in the basement running the signal to two different televisions. Ideally at some point I would like to split the signal to 3 or 4 televisions. I currently do not have an amplifer. I have a ranch home, and the cable runs about 15' then down from my attic to my basement, splits, then goes back up to the first story for the first TV. Unfortunately I can't remember exactly which way I have the antenna pointed... though I believe it is 196 degrees (pointed towards Altoona).

I would love to have NBC.

TV Fool

AntennaWeb shows the following signals...

WATM-DT 23.1 ABC
RF Channel: 24
19 miles at 196° Blue

WHVL-LP 29 MNT
RF Channel: 29
20 miles at 72° Blue

WPSU-DT 3.1 PBS
RF Channel: 15
21 miles at 346° Blue

WTAJ-DT 10.1 CBS
RF Channel: 32
19 miles at 196° Blue

WHVL-LD 29.1 MNT
RF Channel: 27
20 miles at 72° Violet

WKBS-DT 47.1 CTV
RF Channel: 46
19 miles at 196° Violet

If this isn't the right place for this, just let me know. If you can offer any input on me receiving NBC or any additional channels I would appreciate it.

I'm not sure how it would translate to your antenna and situation, but I have my antenna mounted in the attic, and I have it pointed vaguely toward State College, allowing me to receive WHVL (and occasionally WJAC's State College transmitter), and to receive the Altoona stations off the back-ish side. With this setup, I can receive all the local stations (excepting WWCP's Johnstown signal and WPCW in Pittsburgh) including WPSU (3.1-3.3), WJAC (6.1-6.3), WTAJ (10.1), WATM (23.1-23.4), WHVL-LP (analog), WHVL-LD (29.1-29.2), WKBS. Good luck.

How can I be sure in a world that's constantly changing?
post #3424 of 3445 Old 05-28-2015, 07:22 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Anybody know why GRIT6 puts a huge GRIT logo for station identification?

I know the FCC likes to require station ID and I can see if you do it like WTAJ does at the bottom of the screen.

Though, this seems like somebody got a tad carried away.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5544258/grit.png - With GRIT ID
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5544258/grit2.png - Without GRIT ID

ALSO

Looks like ABB has added the new "NewsMax TV" channel.

It popped up at 63.6 and is encrypted and with a CableCard set for the Value Package was able to watch it.

It's not completely setup with a channel number or name yet, so you will not yet see it on STBs.

Appears to be 1080i and be a conservative news outlet like Fox News, though does sound like it has some good documentaries...

Last edited by RedPenguin2; 05-29-2015 at 02:40 AM.
post #3425 of 3445 Old 05-29-2015, 08:54 AM
Advanced Member

Newsmax showed up on chan 76 this morning but was dropping in and out. I guess they are still tweaking and adjusting.
As for the big Grit logo, I guess they want to build viewer identification. The only info the FCC requires is call letters and city (cities) of license.

ÂOne of the few good things about modern times: If you die horribly on television, you will not have died in vain. You will have entertained us.Â
- Kurt Vonnegut
-0-
post #3426 of 3445 Old 05-29-2015, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Newsmax showed up on chan 76 this morning but was dropping in and out. I guess they are still tweaking and adjusting.
As for the big Grit logo, I guess they want to build viewer identification. The only info the FCC requires is call letters and city (cities) of license.
That's where I see it now.

For some reason a TVGuide service I used called SchedulesDirect acts like we have 76 and 776 but I don't see any evidence of 776.

Though what's confusing is, when I was checking out the channel that's IDing as 76 now, it was putting out and HD signal as it's resolution was 1920x1080......
post #3427 of 3445 Old 05-29-2015, 10:47 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
One channel ABB should add is Weather Nation. I was visiting relatives who have dish network and while the Weather Channel was showing reality shows all day Weather Nation was covering live severe weather.
post #3428 of 3445 Old 05-29-2015, 11:16 AM
Advanced Member

The picture on 76 fills the screen, but they're not yet sending metadata, so I cannot tell what resolution is used. It would not shock me to see more HD channels real soon, as ABB has recently started injecting local commercials on HD channels.
As for weather, there are several better alternatives to the Weather Channel, but none have managed to gain wide distribution.

- Kurt Vonnegut
-0-
post #3429 of 3445 Old 05-29-2015, 11:53 AM

Quote:
The picture on 76 fills the screen, but they're not yet sending metadata, so I cannot tell what resolution is used. It would not shock me to see more HD channels real soon, as ABB has recently started injecting local commercials on HD channels.
As for weather, there are several better alternatives to the Weather Channel, but none have managed to gain wide distribution.
Seems for some reason ABB knocked it down to SD at 720x480.

ABB Customer Service acts like there will not be an HD after all. At least for now.

Official launch date is Sunday.

EDIT: I am confused by something though. NewsMax seems to be included in the "Value" package, but the Value package in analog. So I guess it will be like Velocity where you technically get it, but only if you have a CableCard or STB.

It's on Ch 63.6, in an area that only Value and beyond subscribers could access, so I am surprised they aren't leaving it clear. In another area, they leave OWN in ClearQAM.

Last edited by RedPenguin2; 05-29-2015 at 05:39 PM.
post #3430 of 3445 Old 06-07-2015, 04:47 PM

Anybody know why Sinclair/WJAC is still airing American Sports Net on MeTV/DT-2?

I thought they would most likely move all the programming to GRIT/DT-3.
post #3431 of 3445 Old 06-08-2015, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stingray2772 View Post
I'm not sure if this is the correct place for it or not, but I have a few questions about OTA.

I live in Houtzdale and am using an ANT-751 in the attic (actually picked it up a few years ago at Lowes for about $10). Since then I've been getting CBS(WTAJ), ABC, Fox, and This... and recently have been getting AntennaTV. My question to everyone is, are there other channels that I *could* get? I'm a complete noob. I took my cell phone up in the attic, aimed the Antenna and checked that I received the channels. My wife is against having an 'ugly antenna hanging off the roof' but if it is a matter of possibly upgrading antenna then that might be possible. I checked out the Mohu Sky but I would be hesitant to spending that much money only to find out no additional channels can be added. I do have a split in the basement running the signal to two different televisions. Ideally at some point I would like to split the signal to 3 or 4 televisions. I currently do not have an amplifer. I have a ranch home, and the cable runs about 15' then down from my attic to my basement, splits, then goes back up to the first story for the first TV. Unfortunately I can't remember exactly which way I have the antenna pointed... though I believe it is 196 degrees (pointed towards Altoona).

I would love to have NBC.

TV Fool

AntennaWeb shows the following signals...

WATM-DT 23.1 ABC
RF Channel: 24
19 miles at 196° Blue

WHVL-LP 29 MNT
RF Channel: 29
20 miles at 72° Blue

WPSU-DT 3.1 PBS
RF Channel: 15
21 miles at 346° Blue

WTAJ-DT 10.1 CBS
RF Channel: 32
19 miles at 196° Blue

WHVL-LD 29.1 MNT
RF Channel: 27
20 miles at 72° Violet

WKBS-DT 47.1 CTV
RF Channel: 46
19 miles at 196° Violet

If this isn't the right place for this, just let me know. If you can offer any input on me receiving NBC or any additional channels I would appreciate it.
1. The ANT-751 is not the best antenna for your location and signals.
2. Your NBC station (WTAJ - Real Channel 22) is at 207 degrees. I'd get a compass and point your antenna in that direction and see what you get. Typically, however, an attic antenna looses at least 20 dB, making channels that are not "green" in the TVFool Report unlikely. And if you have a stucco house or it is wrapped with something with foil it can be worse.
3. The Mohu products are OK but not great. I would not recommend one for your application. Even though your ANT-751 might not be the best recommendation for your location it will gather much more signal if you get it outside with a good view towards the SSW.
4. You might post your question on the forum at TVFool.com.
post #3432 of 3445 Old 06-09-2015, 05:19 AM
Advanced Member

Just FYI, the NBC station is WJAC (6.1, 6.2, 6.3; RF 22). WTAJ is the CBS station (10.1; RF 32). Their respective transmitters ( as well as that of WATM, the ABC and FOX stations (23.1, 23.2, 23.3, 23.4; RF 24)) are located on the same antenna farm on Wopsononock Mountain near Altoona. While the WJAC translator operates at a much lower power output than either WATM or WTAJ, I suspect your existing setup might pull it in, if as suggested above, your antenna is aimed correctly. The compass method is certainly valid, but you might also use your TV's signal meter to find the highest signal level on WTAJ or WATM. Then you can try to lock in WJAC's signal. Granted, the built in signal meters offer only a rough guide, but I have used this method with some success over the years.
Nokorola likes this.

- Kurt Vonnegut
-0-
post #3433 of 3445 Old 06-19-2015, 02:17 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I see that WPSU has made 3.2 and 3.3 16x9. Create is the correct aspect ratio, but World is stretched, at least right now while NHK Newsline is on. Either way, it's nice to see shows presented in their native aspect ratio, even on my SD 4x3 TV, and it'll also fix the annoying times when the show is 16x9 (like POV) while the specific episode/content is 4x3. I'd still like to see WTAJ make an agreement with WPCW, or add an ION+ channel (even though neither would inherently be in their interest. I was happy with just a main channel on every station though. :-).

How can I be sure in a world that's constantly changing?
post #3434 of 3445 Old 06-29-2015, 11:34 PM

ABB is adding HSN2 to virtually all if not all of it's areas it seems.

In JTown it's showing up as 63.7 HSN2.

It's going to be a Limited Basic channel I was told, but Limited Basic cannot access Ch 63 (only Ch 2-22&76-117), so I believe they will have to move it eventually.

I guess ABB wasn't lying when they stated we will be getting new channels, but I guess they didn't say it would be really good channels. LoL
Nokorola likes this.
post #3435 of 3445 Old 07-09-2015, 12:07 PM

ABB has told me that HSN2 is a Value Channel and not supposed to be a Limited Basic channel.

Yet they tell almost everybody it's a Limited Basic and it's unencrypted, but since when is a Value channel unencrypted?
post #3436 of 3445 Old 07-10-2015, 05:02 AM
Advanced Member

For ABB viewers with STBs, HSN2 is on 116. Original HSN now has a slot in the HD tier at 718. Like QVC, programming is center cut 4:3.

- Kurt Vonnegut
-0-
post #3437 of 3445 Old 07-12-2015, 07:26 PM

Grit

Did GRIT change their view?

It seems to still be the same size and aspect ratio but it seems things are way more letter-boxed now.

Last edited by RedPenguin2; 07-12-2015 at 09:38 PM.
post #3438 of 3445 Old 07-13-2015, 10:41 AM

Another channel is coming to Sinclair stations this fall. Hopefully it will be 6.4 without having to remove metv or grit.

http://www.broadcastingcable.com/new...diginet/142220
post #3439 of 3445 Old 07-13-2015, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chum1976 View Post
Another channel is coming to Sinclair stations this fall. Hopefully it will be 6.4 without having to remove metv or grit.

http://www.broadcastingcable.com/new...diginet/142220
Wow! So much for the dream of Sinclair just adding a 24/7 news subchannel so they can stop putting sports on Me-TV/WJAC-DT2. LoL

Though maybe they would "off-load" the sports to the new subchannel, who knows.

All I know is I and many others I would know would be extremely peeved if they removed Me-TV but also GRIT as I like The Rookies and I know folks who like their movies....

I can't imagine this new channel getting added by ABB. They have the system so full they can't even put HSN2 in an area for "Limited Basic" customer. They admitted you have to have Value service now.

Last edited by RedPenguin2; 07-13-2015 at 12:26 PM.
post #3440 of 3445 Old 07-13-2015, 06:56 PM

Has anybody noticed WPCW 715 on Atlantic Broadband having major video breakups?

When I first seen it, I thought, maybe my friend just has a loose cable, then I went to a family member's house and their 715 is also breaking up.

I'm wondering if anybody else is experiencing this and if it's the fault of ABB or WPCW.

I don't really see mess ups with the SD channel but at times have.

Not sure if anybody here can receive WPCW OTA and can tell me if they are known for errors.

It's been happening for months.
post #3441 of 3445 Old 07-21-2015, 05:32 AM
Advanced Member

WPCW has been known for a variety of technical issues OTA over time (the Pittsburgh thread is filled with such reports). OTOH, I've been seeing erratic PQ on several ABB channels of late. I have attributed that to the ongoing changes to the lineup and related behind the scenes issues.

- Kurt Vonnegut
-0-
post #3442 of 3445 Old 07-21-2015, 07:08 AM

Quote:
WPCW has been known for a variety of technical issues OTA over time (the Pittsburgh thread is filled with such reports). OTOH, I've been seeing erratic PQ on several ABB channels of late. I have attributed that to the ongoing changes to the lineup and related behind the scenes issues.
Bad news for GRIT viewers such as myself.

Just asking WJAC about the new Sinclair + MGM Channel:

"I think we'll be carrying it, probably replacing GRIT."

Also, I guess ABB is "tightening up security" as they say.

Nat Geo 84.8 last Fri went encrypted and overnight, Esquire 84.11 went encrypted.

Surprised ABB is finally doing something about it, as those channels have been unencrypted since Jan 2014.

EDIT: MSNBC and NickToons also "bit the dust".

Last edited by RedPenguin2; 07-23-2015 at 05:52 AM.
post #3443 of 3445 Old 07-25-2015, 10:03 PM

Atlantic Broadband is also raising prices again. I just got my bill for internet and the new prices are listed. I am calling Monday to get a reduced rate or its century link for me. No way am I paying $67.99 for internet when century link is $34.95 and I can purchase a satellite package from dish for $19.95

GRIT has only been on since January and with the contract Sinclair signed I don't see it going anywhere that soon. This sci-fi channel is to be on in October.
post #3444 of 3445 Old 07-25-2015, 10:07 PM

Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by chum1976 View Post
Atlantic Broadband is also raising prices again. I just got my bill for internet and the new prices are listed. I am calling Monday to get a reduced rate or its century link for me. No way am I paying $67.99 for internet when century link is $34.95 and I can purchase a satellite package from dish for $19.95

GRIT has only been on since January and with the contract Sinclair signed I don't see it going anywhere that soon. This sci-fi channel is to be on in October.
Yes I hate the rate increase. They claim they will be increasing my package (Express) from 30/3 to 60/6 so that's the only "good news" out of the increase.

ABB is literally my only option, my place can't even get Verizon DSL

The give a $5 off per month for a year good customer discount, I know that.

Anyway, that's what I figured, that would be a very quick contract for GRIT, if that were true.

My buddy and I think MeTV would be insane for WJAC to drop for it, but with Sinclair I guess you never really know......

My buddy and I are also curious why after 19 months of leaving MSNBC, Esquire, NickToons, and Nat Geo unencrypted, they randomly encrypt them. Seems a long time to wait......
post #3445 of 3445 Old Today, 06:14 PM

ABB recently moved Lifetime Movie Network/LMN from Ch 200 to Ch 67 to make it a Value Service channel.

The CableCard I have is saying "not-subscribed."

Can anyone else with Value access this channel?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page