Johnstown, PA - HDTV - Page 117 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
post #3481 of 3482 Old 11-02-2015, 01:36 PM
AVS Addicted Member
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 315 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA Send a message via Yahoo to Trip in VA
Originally Posted by mvcg66b3r View Post
No, you don't understand. WATM's existing signal only has marginal coverage of Johnstown. A translator in Johnstown would add to WATM's coverage.
No, it would detract, because WWCP currently has a larger coverage area than WATM. Fox and ABC would both lose, not gain, viewers, from what you're suggesting, which would be both unnecessarily complicated and expensive as opposed to maintaining the status quo.

- Trip

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

Sponsored Links
post #3482 of 3482 Old 11-13-2015, 11:58 PM
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Originally Posted by PA_MainyYak View Post
Why would a broadcaster give up a full power television channel and trade it for a translator? FOX wants their HD programming to look as good as possible and that means allocating the majority of the available bandwidth to that signal. CBS places (as I understand) similar quality of signal requirements on its affiliates.
Aside from that the broadcast license for a full power tv station is worth far more in dollar value as a translator. Yes, it boils down to business, but that's what television is - a business.
What WATM and WWCP need to do is continue to work together as they have been in the last few years, and hopefully return to better financial shape. WWCP does need to solve their horrible transmission issue, and I'm not sure what they were thinking staying on physical channel 8 and taking a severe power cut. I'm sure they had their reasons, but it was a bad idea.

How can I be sure in a world that's constantly changing?
Sponsored Links
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception