Johnstown, PA - HDTV - Page 117 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 11Likes
post #3481 of 3494 Unread 11-02-2015, 01:36 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 353 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA Send a message via Yahoo to Trip in VA
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvcg66b3r View Post
No, you don't understand. WATM's existing signal only has marginal coverage of Johnstown. A translator in Johnstown would add to WATM's coverage.
No, it would detract, because WWCP currently has a larger coverage area than WATM. Fox and ABC would both lose, not gain, viewers, from what you're suggesting, which would be both unnecessarily complicated and expensive as opposed to maintaining the status quo.

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3482 of 3494 Unread 11-13-2015, 11:58 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA_MainyYak View Post
Why would a broadcaster give up a full power television channel and trade it for a translator? FOX wants their HD programming to look as good as possible and that means allocating the majority of the available bandwidth to that signal. CBS places (as I understand) similar quality of signal requirements on its affiliates.
Aside from that the broadcast license for a full power tv station is worth far more in dollar value as a translator. Yes, it boils down to business, but that's what television is - a business.
What WATM and WWCP need to do is continue to work together as they have been in the last few years, and hopefully return to better financial shape. WWCP does need to solve their horrible transmission issue, and I'm not sure what they were thinking staying on physical channel 8 and taking a severe power cut. I'm sure they had their reasons, but it was a bad idea.

How can I be sure in a world that's constantly changing?
post #3483 of 3494 Unread 01-15-2016, 05:02 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Comet on WJAC

Looks like WJAC got Comet and we totally lost GRIT.

GRIT was getting a little old playing Walker constantly, but I was hoping I'd get to see The Rookies again, but oh well.

My Technological Website - http://www.thethreetechamigos.net
post #3484 of 3494 Unread 01-15-2016, 07:08 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedPenguin2 View Post
Looks like WJAC got Comet and we totally lost GRIT.

GRIT was getting a little old playing Walker constantly, but I was hoping I'd get to see The Rookies again, but oh well.

This channel really stinks and I love sci-fi stuff. Late nights now infomercials as well.
post #3485 of 3494 Unread 01-15-2016, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chum1976 View Post
This channel really stinks and I love sci-fi stuff. Late nights now infomercials as well.
I can only hope they move the damn ASN junk off MeTV now and put it more on Comet as they repeat shows/movie throughout the day, so put it on Comet.

Also am I the only one noticing audio gaps/silence in MeTV?

I get it OTA and on Atlantic Broadband.

Just randomly slices of missing audio.

post #3486 of 3494 Unread 01-18-2016, 04:41 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
I read on WJAC's facebook page GRIT is returning to 6.4 target mid February.
post #3487 of 3494 Unread 01-18-2016, 08:59 PM

Wow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chum1976 View Post
I read on WJAC's facebook page GRIT is returning to 6.4 target mid February.
Wow, I never thought WJAC would be able to squeeze a .4 out, that's impressive. Though I wonder if WJAC will be able to get ABB to do cable carriage of it again?

post #3488 of 3494 Unread 01-18-2016, 09:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Not all that impressive. There are stations in other cities running a half dozen subchannels. What it means is more of the glitches and dropouts that have been mentioned in this thread from time to time on 6.2, 6.3, and 6.4, as well as reduced PQ on the 6.1 HD signal for OTA viewers.
The compression software continues to get better, but there's only so much bandwidth available on a DTV channel, and the trade off is more programming at reduced quality.

"One of the few good things about modern times: If you die horribly on television, you will not have died in vain. You will have entertained us."
- Kurt Vonnegut
-0-
post #3489 of 3494 Unread 01-18-2016, 09:58 PM

Oh

Quote:
Not all that impressive. There are stations in other cities running a half dozen subchannels. What it means is more of the glitches and dropouts that have been mentioned in this thread from time to time on 6.2, 6.3, and 6.4, as well as reduced PQ on the 6.1 HD signal for OTA viewers.
The compression software continues to get better, but there's only so much bandwidth available on a DTV channel, and the trade off is more programming at reduced quality.
I guess maybe that's the reason MeTV keeps getting audio gaps or slices of no audio randomly. I never noticed such a problem on GRIT though.

I just remember folks claiming WJAC used to have issues with 6.3 when it was WJAC-SD.

I wish WATM didn't have to squeeze so much. I saw WPHL out of Philly and their Antenna TV looks a fair amount better than ours. But they only are doing a 720p + 2 480i but did 3 480is. We are doing 2 720ps and 2 480is.

Last edited by RedPenguin2; 01-18-2016 at 10:04 PM.
post #3490 of 3494 Unread 01-21-2016, 09:58 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
I see what you mean. I mean obviously everybody has different taste in programming.

Though you can only get so many shows online or DVD, that's why I can't wait for Antenna TV to be carried on ABB. They are going to air some shows that I guess the studios did not feel like making DVDs for.

Me-TV is nice and I am glad they air Carol Burnett & Friends but sorry to say, Antenna TV airs way more of myself, family, and friends liking. Also it doesn't appear that WATM is like WJAC where they enjoy putting school closing banners on This, which I hope they apply the same logic to Antenna TV.

I totally agree also. In my case living inside the city of Johnstown, it seems almost impossible to get every local station as I swear their transmitters are thrown all over the area instead of something centralized like bigger cities.

So if I don't have at least the Limited Basic package from Atlantic Broadband, I am limited to strictly WJAC, Me-TV, and GRIT. That's not quite enough programming for me, LoL.
ouch I kind of can relate as I had an intenna hooked to a small tv at my work place to catch up on the news during lunch. However, I could only get the three PBS channels. I also gave an indoor antenna to my friend to use and she could onlyu pick up all three PBS channels. I am lucky for I do get All the locals but I live in a good area and have an outdoor antenna. However, as of late I cannot pick up WHVL 29.2 YoutooAmerica. I have emailed them a few times only to be told that the satellite feed is out. That feed has been out since Halloween.
post #3491 of 3494 Unread 01-25-2016, 08:59 PM

ASN 24/7 Channel

It looks like American Sports Network (ASN) has a made a 24/7 channel.

http://americansportsnet.com/asn-lau...ork-on-monday/

I wonder how WJAC will handle their programming now.

For some reason their website says no games are available in the WJAC area at all.

I wonder if WJAC will put games on MeTV, Comet, and GRIT now.

No clue what's going on with ABB and "FastForward Johnstown/Altoona".

Absolutely no word what so ever about the promised HD channels.

Last edited by RedPenguin2; 01-26-2016 at 01:19 AM.
post #3492 of 3494 Unread 01-26-2016, 09:34 AM

Delay

Quote:
It looks like American Sports Network (ASN) has a made a 24/7 channel.

http://americansportsnet.com/asn-lau...ork-on-monday/

I wonder how WJAC will handle their programming now.

For some reason their website says no games are available in the WJAC area at all.

I wonder if WJAC will put games on MeTV, Comet, and GRIT now.

No clue what's going on with ABB and "FastForward Johnstown/Altoona".

Absolutely no word what so ever about the promised HD channels.
Just an update.

I received word from ABB that 44 HD channels will be added this Thur night into Fri morning.

An additional 12 will be added in Feb.

EDIT: Just got word from ABB that they need more testing and now this Thur is delayed.

Last edited by RedPenguin2; 01-26-2016 at 01:33 PM.
post #3493 of 3494 Unread Today, 09:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 11
That's a substantial shuffling of bandwidth, still it's been more than a week. I guess we continue to wait.

"One of the few good things about modern times: If you die horribly on television, you will not have died in vain. You will have entertained us."
- Kurt Vonnegut
-0-
post #3494 of 3494 Unread Today, 09:14 AM

Quote:
That's a substantial shuffling of bandwidth, still it's been more than a week. I guess we continue to wait.
One agent claimed Feb 6th as the new date but then other agents claim no date has been set due to equipment failure.

For some reason INSP HD is at 64.1 which Limited Basic people can't get due to traps.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception