Johnstown, PA - HDTV - Page 118 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 16Likes
post #3511 of 3539 Unread 03-14-2016, 05:20 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA_MainyYak View Post
Atlantic Broadband has just lit up a bunch of HD channels. No programming yet. It appears nearly every SD channel now has an HD version. Notable exceptions, Local 9, Gov 14, PCN, WPSU World, EWTN, ION.
Also, no slot for WJAC 6.4 has shown up yet.
ABB also put this message on their website on "View My Lineup".

"TiVo customers in Johnstown and Altoona PA: In preparation for our additional HD channel launches tomorrow, the TiVo Guide Data has updated with the new HD Channel guide info. When you tune to the channel today, the display will be a black screen until we map the new HD channels overnight tonight."

I take it no "spot" for 702 or WHVL r?

My Technological Website - http://www.thethreetechamigos.net
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3512 of 3539 Unread 03-14-2016, 05:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 11
No 702 either. Many of the SD channels in the upper tier 100-299 also have HD sister channels.
The TiVo message system announced the new channels are available but neglected to mention the delay in switching on the programming. But at least things are finally starting to move.

"One of the few good things about modern times: If you die horribly on television, you will not have died in vain. You will have entertained us."
- Kurt Vonnegut
-0-
post #3513 of 3539 Unread 03-14-2016, 06:07 PM

Quote:
No 702 either. Many of the SD channels in the upper tier 100-299 also have HD sister channels.
The TiVo message system announced the new channels are available but neglected to mention the delay in switching on the programming. But at least things are finally starting to move.
Just can't really believe that the FastForward Johnstown/Altoona project that we've known about for 7 months is finally going to becoming to a close in just a few hours.

It actually feels like a little mini New Year's Eve celebration. LoL

post #3514 of 3539 Unread 03-15-2016, 06:51 AM

Well ABB made the mistake I figured they would.

LMN, HMM, and ID HD are all considered the in the "Digital Plus" HD package.

Yet obviously all 3 of those channels are now Value.

Oddly NewsMax HD at 69.1 isn't given a channel name/number on the CableCard.

The same with QVC HD at 67.3, no name or channel number.

Last edited by RedPenguin2; 03-15-2016 at 08:52 AM.
post #3515 of 3539 Unread 03-26-2016, 03:41 PM

Planned Outage in Johnstown in the West End & Oakhurst Areas

I just wanted to let folks know of a planned Internet, Cable, and Phone in the Johnstown neighborhoods of the West End and Oakhurst on 3/31/16 at 1AM-5AM.

They are airing the uploaded screenshot message on Ch 9 or the Message Channel.

Upon further information, ABB stated they will be systematically moving fiber lines in these two areas and that all services will be interrupted.

ABB seems to have weird communication as agents at first had no clue what this message on Ch 9 was about and it seems like they'd put the announcement in other places than just Ch 9.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ABB.png
Views:	44
Size:	728.2 KB
ID:	1340290  

post #3516 of 3539 Unread 04-06-2016, 07:32 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 18
WHVL has FINALLY removed Youtoo America and replaced it with Buzzr on 29.2
Nokorola likes this.
post #3517 of 3539 Unread 04-06-2016, 07:42 PM

Man :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by chum1976 View Post
WHVL has FINALLY removed Youtoo America and replaced it with Buzzr on 29.2
Man, I really wish Atlantic Broadband would get with it and do WHVL HD and Buzzr.

With no GSN in the area, I know folks would watch it.

post #3518 of 3539 Unread 04-12-2016, 07:19 AM

WGN America

ABB has added WGN America in ClearQAM at 85.4 this morning.

post #3519 of 3539 Unread 04-22-2016, 07:19 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Good Morning everyone,
I have ABB internet and not anything else. Am a DirecTv customer for video. Haven't ran a cable channel scan on my TV in ages and did so this am and could not believe how many channels I could get. Now here is a question:

Can anyone provide a list on what channels are on clearqam? A lot of the stations can be identified by the logo on bottom of screen but there are many that have no logo. Any help is greatly appreciated.

I am in Hollidaysburg area.
post #3520 of 3539 Unread 04-22-2016, 11:21 AM
Advanced Member

I've made several lists over the years, but with ABB adding, deleting, and moving channels with some frequency, it's hard to keep up. You might try using an online guide and identify by what program is on a given channel. It's slow, but should help you ID those channels that eschew identity bugs.

"One of the few good things about modern times: If you die horribly on television, you will not have died in vain. You will have entertained us."
- Kurt Vonnegut
-0-
post #3521 of 3539 Unread 04-22-2016, 06:28 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Thanks! Now to find the time to sit down and do that
PA_MainyYak likes this.
post #3522 of 3539 Unread 05-02-2016, 02:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedPenguin2 View Post
ABB has added WGN America in ClearQAM at 85.4 this morning.

And on Saturday 4/30, it showed up in SD on channel 79.

- Kurt Vonnegut
-0-
post #3523 of 3539 Unread 05-10-2016, 04:40 AM

Rearranged

ABB seems to have really re-arranged everything.

For some reason Ch 83, 84, 85, & 90 are all empty now.

I'm not really sure where exactly all the channels are now.

Not sure if somebody can do a scan because I'm not sure where Antenna TV, Channel 9, and some of the other ones are now.

post #3524 of 3539 Unread 05-10-2016, 04:46 AM
Advanced Member

ABB sent an email indicating they are doing some reconfiguration and to expect some brief overnight outages over the next couple nights. Multiple HD channels appear bit-starved over the past week or so, which is usually a sign they are shuffling things around.

- Kurt Vonnegut
-0-
post #3525 of 3539 Unread 05-10-2016, 04:51 AM

Yes

Quote:
ABB sent an email indicating they are doing some reconfiguration and to expect some brief overnight outages over the next couple nights. Multiple HD channels appear bit-starved over the past week or so, which is usually a sign they are shuffling things around.
Yes, I have seen those emails, it just seemed that all the channels from Ch 83 and 84 have 100% disappeared.

I see the channels from Ch 85 are located at Ch 73 now.

post #3526 of 3539 Unread 05-15-2016, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Yes, I have seen those emails, it just seemed that all the channels from Ch 83 and 84 have 100% disappeared.

I see the channels from Ch 85 are located at Ch 73 now.
ABB has stated now that they realize that many Limited Basic customers are now affected negatively by the channel moves.

It turns out that Ch 83 is now Ch 71 and Ch 85 is now Ch 73. I am not sure where Ch 84 ended up.

ABB on Twitter said at the very least they see them needing to remove any Limited Basic user's trap.

Though I don't know how they will do it for customers in Johnstown and Altoona who have no clue why the channels disappeared.

But the issue is, Limited Basic users from the analog days have a trap that blocks 23-74 roughly so customers are saying on Facebook and DSLReports that they can't see the channels at all now.

How ABB could not have figured this out ahead of time is beyond me when I could have told them instantly. LoL
Nokorola likes this.

post #3527 of 3539 Unread 05-18-2016, 09:50 AM

Fixed

Quote:
ABB has stated now that they realize that many Limited Basic customers are now affected negatively by the channel moves.

It turns out that Ch 83 is now Ch 71 and Ch 85 is now Ch 73. I am not sure where Ch 84 ended up.

ABB on Twitter said at the very least they see them needing to remove any Limited Basic user's trap.

Though I don't know how they will do it for customers in Johnstown and Altoona who have no clue why the channels disappeared.

But the issue is, Limited Basic users from the analog days have a trap that blocks 23-74 roughly so customers are saying on Facebook and DSLReports that they can't see the channels at all now.

How ABB could not have figured this out ahead of time is beyond me when I could have told them instantly. LoL
ABB has reversed these moves and now the channels are back again.

Guess ABB did not want to go around all of Johnstown, Altoona, and surrounding areas to rid all Limited Basic customers of the traps.

They still have 64.1 INSP HD and 63.7 QVC HD trapped but they told me they will see what they can do.

They now have Ch 90 and 91 free, so I bet they may either will move the entire 64 and 67 "QAM Blocks" to 90 and 91 or maybe just move those two channels to 90 or 91.

post #3528 of 3539 Unread 06-15-2016, 04:38 PM

WTAJ is adding Escape, Bounce TV, and Laff as subchannels. I saw this first on Rabbitears.

http://www.broadcastingcable.com/new..._f2ZA.facebook
Nokorola likes this.
post #3529 of 3539 Unread 06-15-2016, 05:58 PM

Wow

Quote:
WTAJ is adding Escape, Bounce TV, and Laff as subchannels. I saw this first on Rabbitears.

http://www.broadcastingcable.com/new..._f2ZA.facebook
Darn!

ABB doesn't even seem to be adding GRIT from WJAC or Buzzr from WHVL.

I would totally enjoy seeing Escape, Bounce, and Laff on ABB.

I wonder if ABB would actually carry 3 subchannels from a station instantly but then again I don't see why they can't, they have tons of room now.

post #3530 of 3539 Unread 06-15-2016, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Darn!

ABB doesn't even seem to be adding GRIT from WJAC or Buzzr from WHVL.

I would totally enjoy seeing Escape, Bounce, and Laff on ABB.

I wonder if ABB would actually carry 3 subchannels from a station instantly but then again I don't see why they can't, they have tons of room now.
They may not add all three channels. Trip isn't sure and the article really isn't clear on who gets what. I should have read the article better. I hope we get Escape.
post #3531 of 3539 Unread 06-15-2016, 09:32 PM

Yes

Quote:
They may not add all three channels. Trip isn't sure and the article really isn't clear on who gets what. I should have read the article better. I hope we get Escape.
I guess we will have to wait and see.

I mainly want to see Escape as well because I enjoy American Justice, Forensic Files, etc.

I just have the misfortune of living in an area that cannot receive anything but WJAC's tower on any antenna myself or others near me have tried.

So that's why I always hope ABB will carry WHVL's Buzzr & WJAC's GRIT, because it's sort of annoying to do a cable and OTA setup for a single channel.

I thought ABB's point of going digital was to provide faster Internet and be able to add new channels easily yet ABB seems to have stopped adding new subchannels.

post #3532 of 3539 Unread 06-16-2016, 04:50 AM
Advanced Member

ABB can add channels easily, from a technical perspective. The difficulty, as always, involves contract negotiations between the cable company and the broadcasters.

- Kurt Vonnegut
-0-
post #3533 of 3539 Unread 06-17-2016, 03:49 PM

Looks like we wont be getting Bounce...I never thought we would being in a rural area. I received the following from them:

Unfortunately your market was not included. We recommend you give WTAJ a call and let them know you want BounceTV!

Good luck!
Nokorola likes this.
post #3534 of 3539 Unread 06-29-2016, 09:01 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
It's nice to see WTAJ/ Nexstar finally in the process of adding sub-channels to their stations. I know opinion is split on this since it takes bandwidth away from the main channel, but I personally think the trade-off is worth it. My only complaint is that the market still has no CW or ion outlet. I know they're also-rans (especially ion), but it'd be nice to have them.

On another note semi-related note, it's nice to have Buzzr on WHVL 29.2 (TattleTales is an amazing show I'd never heard of before, and MatchGame '78 and Dawson's Family Feud are always good) after over a year of nothing, and another year of dying YouTooAmerica (I still miss the AmericaOne of a few years ago and the odd old shows they had on like Dusty's Trail).

It's nice to see things happening in the local OTA market again. I guess pretty soon I'll have 17 channels and nothing to watch on Saturday afternoon (alright, to be fair Buzzr always has good stuff when they aren't meeting E/I requirements with the same tired series as everyone else).

How can I be sure in a world that's constantly changing?
post #3535 of 3539 Unread Yesterday, 06:27 PM

Wtaj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nokorola View Post
It's nice to see WTAJ/ Nexstar finally in the process of adding sub-channels to their stations. I know opinion is split on this since it takes bandwidth away from the main channel, but I personally think the trade-off is worth it. My only complaint is that the market still has no CW or ion outlet. I know they're also-rans (especially ion), but it'd be nice to have them.

On another note semi-related note, it's nice to have Buzzr on WHVL 29.2 (TattleTales is an amazing show I'd never heard of before, and MatchGame '78 and Dawson's Family Feud are always good) after over a year of nothing, and another year of dying YouTooAmerica (I still miss the AmericaOne of a few years ago and the odd old shows they had on like Dusty's Trail).

It's nice to see things happening in the local OTA market again. I guess pretty soon I'll have 17 channels and nothing to watch on Saturday afternoon (alright, to be fair Buzzr always has good stuff when they aren't meeting E/I requirements with the same tired series as everyone else).
After talking to WTAJ they said later this year they will be carrying Laff and Escape.

They claim to also be looking at carrying GRIT later even though WJAC has it.

I did not think it was possible for two stations in the same market to carry a subchannel unless it was one of those situations where stations are mirrors of each other.

They also don't have ABB cable carriage in the mix right now which is a bummer for me in an area where I can't pickup WTAJ's OTA signal

post #3536 of 3539 Unread Yesterday, 06:31 PM
Advanced Member

The GRIT deal would likely involve the end of the contract with WJAC before WTAJ would pick it up.

- Kurt Vonnegut
-0-
post #3537 of 3539 Unread Yesterday, 06:41 PM

Makes perfect sense

Quote:
The GRIT deal would likely involve the end of the contract with WJAC before WTAJ would pick it up.
That makes complete sense.

Maybe if WJAC gets rid of GRIT off their station they can fix the horrible audio on MeTV. LoL

Anyway, I guess only time will tell if ABB decides to carry at least Escape.

WTAJ is a very popular station here it seems so you'd think they'd have the "power" to at least encourage ABB to carry their subchannels.

WJAC and even smaller WATM has gotten ABB to carry almost every subchannel they have except for some reason GRIT failed the second time around.

WHVL I guess has no choice at getting Buzzr carried as they can't even seem to get their HD carried on ABB.

EDIT: After I say that it seems WJAC's MeTV actually has fixed the audio to where it sounds normal again.

post #3538 of 3539 Unread Yesterday, 06:46 PM
Advanced Member

It's up to the stations to negotiate a carriage agreement with the cable company. Usually the hang up is over how much the station wants to charge the cable operator to carry. And usually those negotiations are in effect a package deal

- Kurt Vonnegut
-0-
post #3539 of 3539 Unread Yesterday, 06:59 PM

Makes sense.

Quote:
It's up to the stations to negotiate a carriage agreement with the cable company. Usually the hang up is over how much the station wants to charge the cable operator to carry. And usually those negotiations are in effect a package deal
That seems completely logical.

Guess I was glad when I would see MeTV then This then GRIT then Antenna TV added relatively fast.

Then it just seemed like ABB completely stopped adding any subchannels after that.

I guess technically the only subchannel since has been WHVL's Buzzr but that you would think would be a really popular subchannel being the area does seem to have a fair amount of the older generation.

I know WHVL is low powered but they seem to really get "no love" as they say.

They have some hard to find shows they syndicate and Buzzr has some decent programming.

ABB dropped GSN, so where do people watch game shows on cable? Seems Buzzr would be a perfect fit.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception