Johnstown, PA - HDTV - Page 119 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 18Likes

post #3541 of 3551 Old 07-27-2016, 03:49 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 11
It's up to WTAJ to negotiate an appropriate fee with ABB to carry those channels. ABB can't unilaterally decide to carry a broadcast signal.

"One of the few good things about modern times: If you die horribly on television, you will not have died in vain. You will have entertained us."
- Kurt Vonnegut
-0-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3542 of 3551 Old 07-27-2016, 03:52 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA_MainyYak View Post
It's up to WTAJ to negotiate an appropriate fee with ABB to carry those channels. ABB can't unilaterally decide to carry a broadcast signal.
Oh that I know. I just mean I hope ABB is willing to sit down with WTAJ and try.

I just hope ABB doesn't go "We carry enough subchannels, we will not even consider talking to WTAJ about it."

I just wonder being WTAJ claims no ABB talking is in progress at this time but then again this was just recently slapped on to the station mostly likely as even WJAC seemed unaware WTAJ was going to try and get GRIT.

So I have a feeling most people at WTAJ probably are just attempting to figure all of these details out.

My Technological Website - http://www.thethreetechamigos.net
post #3543 of 3551 Old 08-14-2016, 09:28 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So I see that WJAC is now carrying MeTV's 16:9 feed. I guess that this is a good thing, but I'd personally prefer to see the episodes as they were shot, not cropped for modern TVs. I'd equate this to the desire from the '60s/'70s on to colorize black and white films.

Also, does anyone have any update to the WTAJ sub-channels?

-Phillip

How can I be sure in a world that's constantly changing?
post #3544 of 3551 Old 08-14-2016, 09:35 PM

Interesting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nokorola View Post
So I see that WJAC is now carrying MeTV's 16:9 feed. I guess that this is a good thing, but I'd personally prefer to see the episodes as they were shot, not cropped for modern TVs. I'd equate this to the desire from the '60s/'70s on to colorize black and white films.

Also, does anyone have any update to the WTAJ sub-channels?

-Phillip
The MeTV 16:9 happened about a month ago or so.

I can take or leave the change personally but I did notice since this change the audio finally sounds normal on MeTV.

For months after they added GRIT again I felt the audio sounded horrible and staticy but very few people agreed with me.

Anyway, I can hardly find any info at all on WTAJ's new channels let alone any other Nexstar station.

Nexstar and Katz seem to be rather silent in this whole thing but it for the most part is Nexstar's first subchannel roll out as they have been known to never really want to do subchannels before.

The only really known info is from my email to them they said for a fact getting Escape and Laff this year and later GRIT even though WJAC has it. Also no ABB carriage was planned at the time but I hope ABB does carry them as I can already think viewers would enjoy them. Also I don't know really any Johnstown city people who can view WTAJ at all via Antenna.

post #3545 of 3551 Old 08-14-2016, 09:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 214 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedPenguin2 View Post

Anyway, I can hardly find any info at all on WTAJ's new channels let alone any other Nexstar station.

Nexstar and Katz seem to be rather silent in this whole thing but it for the most part is Nexstar's first subchannel roll out as they have been known to never really want to do subchannels before.
There have been a few posts here and elsewhere that it sounds like September 1st is the big launch date for Katz networks on Nexstar stations.
Nokorola likes this.
post #3546 of 3551 Old 08-14-2016, 09:55 PM

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclehonkey View Post
There have been a few posts here and elsewhere that it sounds like September 1st is the big launch date for Katz networks on Nexstar stations.
Thanks for the info.

Right after I posted I found the Sept 1 date listed on The TeeVee Guyd's Facebook also.

So it appears that's most likely the date.

Was a little surprised to not really see WTAJ on Katz's websites but they probably wait until it actually launches.

I seriously hope that at least Escape (I really like real crime shows) but also hopefully Laff are put on ABB or I am not going to be able to watch either.

post #3547 of 3551 Old 08-15-2016, 11:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedPenguin2 View Post
The MeTV 16:9 happened about a month ago or so.

{snip}
Also I don't know really any Johnstown city people who can view WTAJ at all via Antenna.

I receive WTAJ and ABC23 from Altoona from my location in suburban Johnstown. It helps to have a clean northeastern viewpoint. Much of Westmont and Richland areas are positioned to get those stations OTA.
With cable/satellite owning 80+% of the television market, Nexstar and other broadcasters will ignore that potential audience at their peril. Once they are on the air, is highly likely they will negotiate cable and satellite of their new subs..

"One of the few good things about modern times: If you die horribly on television, you will not have died in vain. You will have entertained us."
- Kurt Vonnegut
-0-
post #3548 of 3551 Old 08-16-2016, 04:58 AM

Location, Location, Location

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA_MainyYak View Post
I receive WTAJ and ABC23 from Altoona from my location in suburban Johnstown. It helps to have a clean northeastern viewpoint. Much of Westmont and Richland areas are positioned to get those stations OTA.
With cable/satellite owning 80+% of the television market, Nexstar and other broadcasters will ignore that potential audience at their peril. Once they are on the air, is highly likely they will negotiate cable and satellite of their new subs..
I guess it really does come down to location.

I know in the deep West End, nobody seems to have ever picked up anything besides WJAC, except WPCW in severely grainy analog which is obviously gone now.

A person I knew in Oakland could not receive WATM, as we tried when WATM first got Antenna TV and ABB had not yet added it as a subchannel and there was no proof at the time if they would or not.

From talking causally to WATM, it sounded to me like ABB was one of the slowest to respond cable company to cable carriage out of those in the area.

WATM appeared to want ABB to "launch" the channel Apr 1st as that was WATM's official launch date of the channel, but ABB waited till around May 15th or so but it was technically added I believe May 8th.

post #3549 of 3551 Old 08-16-2016, 07:11 PM

WTAJ vs WJAC?

I was just wondering, is WTAJ technically a much larger station than WJAC or just the same?

I ask because WJAC seems to really have "influence" in this area as to where people get their news from but it seems WTAJ is huge.

I swear once in Atlantic City after a child had drown in the ocean that I seen a WTAJ news van to cover the story.

So does anybody know for a fact who is actually the much larger station?

post #3550 of 3551 Old Yesterday, 05:21 AM
Advanced Member

They're pretty much the same. In the early days of live TV, it was common for stations to rent out their live trucks when needed, especially within their corporate group. WTAJ has been owned by outside corporations longer than WJAC, and so had access to a satellite truck first. WJAC placed its news gathering resources into land-based microwave relay repeaters across the Johnstown-Altoona-State College market area. For life cal news coverage, I think WJAC had the better strategy at the time.
Now that both stations are owned by major broadcast chains, things are generally equal.

- Kurt Vonnegut
-0-
post #3551 of 3551 Old Yesterday, 05:34 AM

WHVL American Sports Net

Just to let folks know, for some reason American Sports Net shows WHVL-2 will now also show games.

I was just seeing what programming on MeTV will be pre-empted and noticed it showing WHVL-2 as a channel with some games now.

Some show games airing on MeTV and WHVL-2 at the same time.

For some reason the website thinks YouToo America is airing on WHVL-2.

Does WHVL actually have 3 subchannels or only 2?

I thought it was simply WHVL and .2 Buzzr.

I wonder if Sinclair will try and get WHVL's 29.2 cable carriage by companies like Atlantic Broadband now so their games get more coverage.

Sinclair seems to have a hand in WHVL as programming they are helping make like Corrupt Crimes is airing on WHVL instead of WJAC.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page