Johnstown, PA - HDTV - Page 121 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 27Likes

post #3601 of 3606 Old 08-03-2017, 01:10 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by chum1976 View Post
Hopefully down the road they can get them online....with all the cord cutting bound to happen they would miss out on a huge part of the DMA

Even with cord cutting OTA still makes up less than 20% of the TV audience. Cord cutters increasingly are getting their PBS fix using an app on their tablets or phones.
What could change the business model and encourage that kind of OTA expansion is how the new ATSC 3.0 standard is implemented. Broadcasters are looking for direct access to those mobile devices and ATSC 3.0 will provide the technical ability to do so.
With the TV band repack, most stations are planning to switch from horizontal transmission (optimal for traditional TV antennas) to elliptical or circular patterns that will make it easier to serve a mobile audience.
Keep an eye on what Sinclair's WJAC does with their fleet of translators in Dubois, State College, Altoona, and Bedford. If they go to a single channel set-up, you'll be witnessing a significant change in the TV industry.
Nokorola likes this.

"One of the few good things about modern times: If you die horribly on television, you will not have died in vain. You will have entertained us."
- Kurt Vonnegut
-0-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3602 of 3606 Old 08-04-2017, 04:35 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHughesPSPB View Post
Is anyone on here near Hollidaysburg able to pull in WPSU (PBS) over the air?
I have been able to get it clearly since 2009 when I got my DTV boxes. I have a nice amplified directional antenna pointed toward State College though.

How can I be sure in a world that's constantly changing?
post #3603 of 3606 Old 09-04-2017, 05:52 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
WWCP-8.2 Now in HD

While rescanning my TVs to tidy up the channel memories, I stumbled upon WWCP-8.2 broadcasting WATM-23 in 16:9 at 720p. I checked two of my sets to make sure one wasn't displaying an incorrect picture format, and sure enough they all said the same thing.

It's nice to get another source for ABC HD programming when WTAE is airing something else.

post #3604 of 3606 Old 09-04-2017, 08:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK77 View Post
While rescanning my TVs to tidy up the channel memories, I stumbled upon WWCP-8.2 broadcasting WATM-23 in 16:9 at 720p. I checked two of my sets to make sure one wasn't displaying an incorrect picture format, and sure enough they all said the same thing.

It's nice to get another source for ABC HD programming when WTAE is airing something else.

They've had both signals at 720p plus a 480i sub for several years now. In Altoona WATM has ABC and FOX in 720p plus two subs.

"One of the few good things about modern times: If you die horribly on television, you will not have died in vain. You will have entertained us."
- Kurt Vonnegut
-0-
post #3605 of 3606 Old 09-06-2017, 06:12 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA_MainyYak View Post
They've had both signals at 720p plus a 480i sub for several years now.
This had to have been a recent development, because I remember back in 2015 that 8.2 was 480i.

What is the WWCP sub at 480i? I only get two channels from 8.
post #3606 of 3606 Old 09-06-2017, 06:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK77 View Post
This had to have been a recent development, because I remember back in 2015 that 8.2 was 480i.

What is the WWCP sub at 480i? I only get two channels from 8.

I stand corrected, it's only the two on on 8.

- Kurt Vonnegut
-0-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page