Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 3319 Old 02-28-2006, 06:33 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by deanbrew View Post

I spoke to the Radio Shack dealer in Martinsburg (Steele's) and they said you would be lucky to get a signal using ANY antenna. I can't verify that but I know it's hard to get a decent WTAJ signal at the southern end of Blair County, let alone Bedford County. The higher up you put the antenna, the better it will work, of course.

For grins, go to this website: http://www.antennaweb.org/aw/Stations.aspx

It will tell you which type of antenna is supposed to work at your location. It shows that no digital signals can be received in Woodbury or Roaring Spring, but there are locations between the two towns that supposedly get a couple of digital channels. Perhaps that's due to topography.

I'm convinced that site has old or broken data. I haven't used it in a long time because it thinks I can't get any -DT channels at my location. (just checked again. apparently they think I can only get WPSU) and I can actually get everything but WWCP on 29 with a decent yagi.

A good starting guide that I use is the FCC's service contour map:

WWCP-DT (29):
http://www.fcc.gov/fcc-bin/FMTV-serv...DT1064912.html

WTAJ-DT (32):
http://www.fcc.gov/fcc-bin/FMTV-serv...DT1092053.html

WATM-DT (24):
http://www.fcc.gov/fcc-bin/FMTV-serv...DT1063060.html

WJAC-DT (34):
http://www.fcc.gov/fcc-bin/FMTV-serv...DT1098453.html

Note that WJAC's contour does not quite reach State College and a fair number of people have trouble with reception, though those in the higher elevations can usually get a decent signal.

Another good site is:
http://www.2150.com/broadcast
That will give you azimuth and distance to the transmitters..

We should collect these links and put them in a top post so we can refer to it as these questions come up.

If it was me, and my location was inside those contours, I'd at least take a chance and buy one of the RS yagi antennas and amp right before a few days of nice weather. At the very least you can set it up and give it a shot. If it doesn't work, you can always return it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 3319 Old 03-01-2006, 04:49 AM

Wow, those reception areas look huge. Due to the mountains, most people where I live have a lot of problems with OTA reception. For example, the channel 10 reception area supposedly goes the whole way into Maryland. I find that very unlikely. I realize that topography and antenna height are important, but those maps look VERY optimistic to me. Still, it may be worth giving it a try if you can return an antenna to the store.
post #363 of 3319 Old 03-01-2006, 04:34 PM

Quote:

Wow, those reception areas look huge. Due to the mountains, most people where I live have a lot of problems with OTA reception. For example, the channel 10 reception area supposedly goes the whole way into Maryland. I find that very unlikely. I realize that topography and antenna height are important, but those maps look VERY optimistic to me. Still, it may be worth giving it a try if you can return an antenna to the store.

Well, WTAJ is transmitting at a considerably higher power level in digital on 32. I'm no expert on the nuances of RF propagation, but I can say that I have trouble getting 10 analog here at the same time I get a solid signal on 32, so I'd say the channel 32 contour might be more believeable than the channel 10 contour.
post #364 of 3319 Old 03-02-2006, 02:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyiota View Post

Well, WTAJ is transmitting at a considerably higher power level in digital on 32. I'm no expert on the nuances of RF propagation, but I can say that I have trouble getting 10 analog here at the same time I get a solid signal on 32, so I'd say the channel 32 contour might be more believeable than the channel 10 contour.

Really ! ? ! I am quite the opposite, Channel 10 (WTAJ-TV) analog is like a blow torch (I can get it no matter what direction my antenna is pointed to), digital 32 (WTAJ-DT) I will only get if I am plus or minus ~35 degrees of pointing to the transmitter ( a total of about 70 degrees )

Location, Elevation, Geography, (and to some extent equipment) is what it comes down to. Lemont vs SW Boro, all the above make a big difference.
post #365 of 3319 Old 03-03-2006, 07:30 AM
Advanced Member

Last night I tuned into WATM HD around 8:30pm to see if "Sweet Home Alabama" was in HD. Unfortunately, it was SD stretched. The guys at HDBeat had it listed as an HD program. Last Saturday, Forrest Gump was SD stretched on WATM HD as well. I am wondering if it is a national thing or if something is going on with the local affiliate. Did you guys get either of these movies in HD?
post #366 of 3319 Old 03-12-2006, 10:38 PM
Advanced Member

It seems sometimes WATM is having trouble with the HD content because I was watching an NBA game last week and it switched to SD stretched and then went back to HD. Anyway, I guess sometimes they have some trouble sending out the content but overall its a pleasure to have the HD content because my only other station is WPSU HD.

This may have been discussed before but I can't recall. Why is it that FOX is not in HD, since it is owned by the same company? Is it a bandwidth issue? If so, why did they choose ABC over FOX to upgrade to HD?
post #367 of 3319 Old 03-13-2006, 04:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golferadam View Post

This may have been discussed before but I can't recall. Why is it that FOX is not in HD, since it is owned by the same company? Is it a bandwidth issue? If so, why did they choose ABC over FOX to upgrade to HD?

I'm not sure I understand your question. I get both ABC (WATM) and Fox (WWCP Fox8) in HD on Atlantic Broadband. Fox8 was actually upgraded to HD before WATM.

What signal source do you have (OTA, cable, sat, which provider)?

I still haven't gotten a call back from ABB about my audio question. I think I'll call back today.
post #368 of 3319 Old 03-13-2006, 06:37 AM

Quote:

You must be getting your WWCP and WATM OTA. If so Slyken's first post on this thread explains why WWCP-HD is not available OTA even though the cable company has provided the fiber to pick it up at the studio, for their use. I'm in pretty much the same situation here in Windber, although they did grant me a waiver for ABC-DNS-HD. If I understand correctly, eventually (have no idea when) WWCP-HD will be broadcast OTA from the Laurel Ridge site.

Fred
post #369 of 3319 Old 03-13-2006, 06:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

What signal source do you have (OTA, cable, sat, which provider)?

I have D&E Communications and OTA. D&E is passing WATM-DT to subscribers but does not offer equipment to receive it. In other words, if you have an ATSC tuner you will get it. My TV has one built in so I get it. I get the following:

WATM-HD
WATM-SD
WWCP-DT

I can also get those same three channels OTA.
post #370 of 3319 Old 03-13-2006, 07:20 AM
Advanced Member

I just spoke with an engineer named Dennis at D&E Communications. He was very nice and answered some questions I have had:

Q: Why isn't FOX HD being offered? I have heard that Atlantic broadband is offering it.
A: Atlantic broadband gets it via fiber because WATM and ABB are both in Altoona. WATM plans to be making FOX HD available later this month so we (D&E) should be offering it then.

Note: Maybe this means it is going OTA later this month?

Q: Why isn't NBC HD being offered?
A: Right now we aren't sure how we are planning to offer it. Adelphia offers it as part of their HD package and we aren't sure what we are going to do yet.

Q: Do you have any plans to offer CableCard?
A: Yes, we have CableCard.

Q: How can I get it?
A: Call customer service and ask for it. I am not sure how they are planning to offer it.

Note: When I asked customer service about CableCard about a month ago, they didn't know what I was talking about and said they don't have it. I will call back this week and ask again now that I know they have it.

Q: Does D&E have any cable boxes that have a firewire port?
A: Not at this time. The newer boxes we will be getting will have a DVR and digital connections.

Note: I should have pursued the issue, but from his comments it sounds like D&E is planning to offer HD equipment and content in the near future. That is probably why they aren't piping NBC HD through yet. It would be hard to start charging for a bunch of channels that were offered for free originally.
post #371 of 3319 Old 03-13-2006, 08:10 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Q: Why isn't FOX HD being offered? I have heard that Atlantic broadband is offering it.
A: Atlantic broadband gets it via fiber because WATM and ABB are both in Altoona. WATM plans to be making FOX HD available later this month so we (D&E) should be offering it then.

Note: Maybe this means it is going OTA later this month?

Acutally, WATM's studio and master control are in Johnstown. ABB picks up WWCP-HD in Johnstown and serves both their Johnstown and Altoona headends with it. WATM-HD is also likely on this same fiber but is also available OTA through the kindness of a friend of the station loaning them the gear for it. That's how D&E and Adelphia in State College are receiving it. Adelphia at Carrolltown and D&E at their headend on Science Park Road.

WATM's digital stream originates at the studio at 1450 Scalp Avenue, Johnstown, and is sent via microwave to the transmitter in Altoona.

I don't think WWCP plans to pass HD OTA by the end of this month. I met with Dan on Thursday about their entire STL plan and I'm reasonably sure the end of the month is not their deadline, although they do seem to be excited to get it out there and available.

WWCP-HD being available OTA in State College is still a ways off as the FCC won't even be accepting LPDTV or hot-cut translator requests until May 3.

Quote:

Q: Why isn't NBC HD being offered?
A: Right now we aren't sure how we are planning to offer it. Adelphia offers it as part of their HD package and we aren't sure what we are going to do yet.

I don't think they can reliabily receive WJAC-DT at their headend. My father lives about 200 feet from their building and he has trouble with it. You likely won't see WJAC-DT on D&E until WJAC converts their translator to digital later this year.

Quote:

Note: I should have pursued the issue, but from his comments it sounds like D&E is planning to offer HD equipment and content in the near future. That is probably why they aren't piping NBC HD through yet. It would be hard to start charging for a bunch of channels that were offered for free originally.

I don't think they will (can) charge for the locals in HD, I would suggest the lack of WJAC-DT is a technical problem rather than a lack of billing structure.
post #372 of 3319 Old 03-13-2006, 08:31 AM

Great info Slykens, as usual. Maybe we will get WWCP-HD OTA by NFL season then! Also, pardon by ignorance, but what does "STL" stand for? It is not in the site glossary

Fred
post #373 of 3319 Old 03-13-2006, 08:41 AM
Advanced Member

Thanks for the solid info Slykens. Anything new with WTAJ or are they still shooting for summer this year?
post #374 of 3319 Old 03-13-2006, 03:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhschellenberg View Post

what does "STL" stand for? It is not in the site glossary

Studio to Transmitter Link.

It is the microwave radio link that passes the programming from the studio to the transmitter.

Nothing new on WTAJ. I haven't spoken with Kathy Smith in months. I should give her a call shortly and see where they stand.
post #375 of 3319 Old 03-15-2006, 08:43 AM
Advanced Member

I called D&E this morning and inquired about the CableCard. The woman I spoke to didn't know what CableCard was, so I explained it to her. She put me on hold for about 5 minutes and then came back and got my account information. She put me on hold for a few more minutes and then came back and said I could bring in my STB and exchange it for a CableCard. She said I was getting the STB for free but the CableCard will be $1.95/month. No sweat. I didn't want to be explicit and say "I think a technician needs to do the install." She said I could pick it up so I just agreed with her. My understanding is that a technician has to call in the TV info and CableCard MAC address to the cable co. before it will work. However, from reading some of the other forums it appears the necessary info will be displayed on the screen when I install the card. I will take down that info and then call them so hopefully I can avoid the install fee. I am going to pick it up probably on Thursday or Friday. I will let you guys know how it goes.
post #376 of 3319 Old 03-15-2006, 02:13 PM - Thread Starter

Please do let us know how it goes.

I think you'll be the first non-technician installed CableCard I've heard about for the very reasons you listed. The cable card has to be mated to the host device in the cableco's records so that the encryption can be set up properly.

I once read a techinical paper on how CableCard worked. It is unsurprising but they are *very* paranoid in its design.

Something else this is thought to prevent is the use of CableCard in a compromised device as the cableco will simply refuse to mate the CableCard to your compromised device based on a blacklist. I guess this means if people find a way to crack Vista MCE and get clear access to recorded programming that was recorded via CableCard we might see a refusal to mate to that hardware.
post #377 of 3319 Old 03-16-2006, 04:23 AM

I tried to get a cablecard, but the installer was unable to make it work in my TV. The TV was accepting the cablecard, and a bunch of codes came up on the TV screen. The installer called back to the cable office and talked to several people, but they couldn't get it to work. I wanted the DVR service, so I got the cable box/HD-DVR, so it's no big deal to me.

The DVR/cable box works fine for me, so I don't really miss the cablecard, but it's clear that it doesn't work the way it should for many people.

Regarding the 5.1 audio problem (not getting surround sound when I have the HDMI cable plugged in), I called ABB again and got a call back from a technician. He said he will look into the problem and get back to me. That's the same answer I got two weeks ago.
post #378 of 3319 Old 03-16-2006, 02:27 PM
Advanced Member

I got the CableCard installed and it is working. I went to the D&E office on Science Park Road around 1:30pm to exchange my STB for the CableCard. The woman at the desk couldn't reach the woman in charge of inventory, but she found another employee that was able to get it. They called her back at the front desk and told her it would take ~30 minutes to configure it with my account. I said I would get some lunch and come back. When I came back she had the card waiting for me. It is a Motorola. She said I was the first person to get one from them. She gave me the name and number of a woman at D&E and told me to call that woman once I got it installed so they could finish the activation. I came home and installed the card with no problems. I turned on the TV and it recognized the card was installed. It started searching for channels but could not find any. After about 2 minutes a screen was displayed that had the following information:

CableCard(tm): XXX-XXX-XXX-XXX-X
Host: XXX-XXX-XXX-XXX-X
Data: XXX-XXX-XXX-XX

Unit Address: XXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXX

I called the woman at D&E and she asked me for the Host # and Data #. She said that she had not done the activation in about a month because when they got the CableCards they played around with them, but no customers had ever requested them. I turned my TV off and turned it back on and it again did an autosearch for channels. After about 10 seconds the search menu disappeared and the TV displayed channel 3. I checked and I have all the digital and analog channels that I suscribe to. The premium movie channels said "No Signal" because I don't subscribe to those.
There is a slight increase in PQ with the digital channels compared to the STB but it's nothing to write home about.
Two issues that I noticed:

1) In my TV menu I no longer have the option of searching for channels. Both the "Digital Channels" and "Autoprogram" menus are disabled. I don't understand why those menus are disabled with the CableCard.

2) I no longer get WATM-DT or WPSU-DT from D&E. When the channel lineup reset itself with the CableCard install I lost 91.X and 90.X, which was my WATM-DT and WSPU-DT. I cannot do a scan since the menu is disabled so I am a little disappointed about that.

Overall though I am pleased because I had not watched TV with the STB more than a 10 hours since I got it. I just didn't care for the remote that came with it and the response time was really slow (even slower than other STBs I have seen).
post #379 of 3319 Old 03-20-2006, 04:50 AM

... I posted this on the Wilkes Barre/Scranton BBoard as Well, but someone here may have some ideas as well ....

I did a digital channel search yesterday (Pointing in the direction of Wilkes Barre/Scranton) and in addition to Fox 56's digital channels of 45.3 and 45.4 (remapped to 56.1 WOLF-HD, 56.2 PA'sWB) I picked up a new station 27.5.

27.5 is also Fox's (WOLF's to be exact) HD broadcast. The digital call decoded says "EAST". Does anyone know what and or why this is? Is this a different transmitter or is this another station remapped for the 45.x channel?
post #380 of 3319 Old 03-21-2006, 01:35 PM

Hey all,

Quick question about Adelphia's HD-DVR box. Does anybody know which model they give you in the State College area? I'd like to look at the instruction manual before I get it installed.

Thanks,
JP

JayPo
ThePolettos.com
post #381 of 3319 Old 03-21-2006, 03:26 PM

I don't know the exact model # but it is a silver motorola box. If anyone knows how to retrieve the model number I will look it up.
post #382 of 3319 Old 03-21-2006, 04:30 PM

Thanks for the quick response jjg247 ...

Not sure how to get the model # on screen, but maybe you can tell from the User's Guide at the bottom of this page: http://www.adelphia.com/cable_entertainment/dvr.cfm

Thanks again.

JayPo
ThePolettos.com
post #383 of 3319 Old 03-21-2006, 06:46 PM

I glanced at the first guide for the 6200 combo unit and that looks familiar. My unit is a hd-dvr and does it's job just fine. It can only record like 13 hours of hd though.

I was spoiled by tivo, but needed some sort of hd recording device. If the Comcast/Tivo venture is anything like the standalone tivo boxes I would recommend it to everyone.
post #384 of 3319 Old 03-22-2006, 05:35 AM

Thanks again for the quick response. I was hoping that you would tell me that they are using the DCT6412 instead, based on these questions from the FAQ:

21. Can I record or watch two programs at the same time?
No. You can watch a program while another records, but you cannot watch or record two programs simultaneously with the DCT6208. (This functionality is available on the DCT6412)

22. How do I watch another channel while I'm recording?
With the Motorola DCT6412 HD/dual tuner set-top, you can easily watch and record one program while simultaneously recording another program. With the Motorola single tuner DCT6208, you are able to watch and record one program. In addition, with a DCT6208, you can watch a standard definition program and record another high definition program by splitting your cable with one leg of the splitter output going directly to your TV and the other to the DCT6208. This will allow you to record HD or a different standard definition program from the internal tuner in the DCT6208 while watching a basic (analog) cable channel through the other connection. This will also allow you to use picture-in-picture (PIP) functions viewing one picture from the standard cable tuning it with the TV and one from the DCT6208, for PIP capable TVs only.

But I'm signing up anyway, so I will make do, thanks again.

JayPo
ThePolettos.com
post #385 of 3319 Old 03-22-2006, 08:10 AM

With my box you can watch one program while another records, or record two programs at once. Not sure about recording two hd programs, never done that.

Two bugs I have noticed with box so far. Sometimes I will turn the box on and receive no signal on any channel, but guide and channel banners appear. The only way I have found to remedy this is to go to a DVR recording start it, stop it and then the live tv channels come back.

Second bug relates to the simultaneous recording feature. If you select a program to record from the guide, you will be able to change channels and continue recording functionality. But if you are watching a program and hit the record button on the remote, and then attempt to change the channel. A warning will appear notifying you of the cancel recording request.
post #386 of 3319 Old 03-22-2006, 08:52 AM
Advanced Member

A friend of mine here in State College has Adelphia and he said he has the Motorola DCT6412.
post #387 of 3319 Old 03-23-2006, 08:27 AM

Thanks golf,

From jjg's description, I think that he might have that model too. That's what I'm going to go with and setup my remote ahead of time. Thanks again everybody.

JayPo
ThePolettos.com
post #388 of 3319 Old 03-24-2006, 07:19 AM

Hey jjg247,

Just ran across some info that might help with the "second bug" that you mentioned above. The DCT6412 has 2 tuners - that's how it's able to record one show while being able to watch another. It said in the instructions that if you hit record for a show while watching it - or if you just want to continue having that show cache so that you can rewind it - AND want to watch another show, you have to switch tuners. You can do this by hitting the SWAP button at the bottom or your remote.

Hope this helps. It might even work for your "first bug".

JayPo
ThePolettos.com
post #389 of 3319 Old 04-02-2006, 05:37 AM

I live in Centre Hall and am on the State College Adelphia system. I'm having trouble with my analog channels through my HD/DVR box. They are pixelating and sometimes the channel even freezes. Anyone else having this problem, or could my box be fried??
post #390 of 3319 Old 04-04-2006, 11:36 AM

I have 2 Adelphia HD/DVR boxes and do not have the problem you seem to be describing.

Occasionally my box will lock up/freeze if the wife or kids mistakenly turn off the box instead of the TV. I use the Universal remote that comes with the box so they still have'nt mastered pushing the "TV" button when they hit the power button. I have been successful in getting the box unfrozen by hitting my "list" button, starting a show from the dvr and then hitting the "Live TV" button.

These boxes are clearly not "TIVO" like, but you can't beat the HD recording capability.

Good luck, call a tech out if it keeps up.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page