Johnstown, PA - HDTV - Page 14 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #391 of 3320 Old 04-05-2006, 09:40 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The pixellation and the freezing of the analog channels has cleared up, however, my box is still on Standard Time, it didn't automatically switch to DST. Is anyone else having this problem as well?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #392 of 3320 Old 04-23-2006, 06:00 AM

I just happen to do a channel scan the other day and found that channel 29 a Low Power ANALOG TV station out of State College is now on the air.

I have seen listing for channel 29 in the FCC registry, but never recieved it's signal. I am not sure why they went on the air now, especially in analog with every thing switching over to digital in the next few years.

FYI.
post #393 of 3320 Old 04-23-2006, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by winkydink View Post

I just happen to do a channel scan the other day and found that channel 29 a Low Power ANALOG TV station out of State College is now on the air.

I have seen listing for channel 29 in the FCC registry, but never recieved it's signal. I am not sure why they went on the air now, especially in analog with every thing switching over to digital in the next few years.

FYI.

I was scanning through channels last night at about 10:30 and locked onto a digital signal on what my TV identified as RF channel 29. It remapped to 8-1 and 8-2 and the PSIP info IDed the station as WATM-DT. I kept it on the 8-2 subchannel and the on-air ID was ABC23. I held a solid lock for about 10 minutes and an intermittent lock for about another 10 minutes.

BTW, I am located in North Canton, OH, which is roughly 150 miles west of Altoona and about 50 miles south of Cleveland. I managed this with my antenna pointed at Cleveland!

You seem to be saying that RF channel 29 is a low power analog in the Altoona area, but what I was viewing was definitely a digital station with the WATM call letters. What is the RF channel assignment for WATM?
post #394 of 3320 Old 04-23-2006, 07:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBlackKnight View Post

You seem to be saying that RF channel 29 is a low power analog in the Altoona area, but what I was viewing was definitely a digital station with the WATM call letters. What is the RF channel assignment for WATM?

OK, here I am to solve all your problems in another thread besides Cleveland or Youngstown.

DT 29 is WWCP-DT/Johnstown, which is the FOX sister station of WATM/23 (DT 24). WWCP would resolve out to 8-1(etc.), WATM to 23-1(etc.). If you got 8-1 on DT 29, it's WWCP. I think back here a ways, there was a note about WWCP/WATM broadcasting SD simulcasts of each station on the other stick, so it's possible WWCP's 8-2 was simulcasting WATM in SD.

The LPTV on 29 in State College is WHVL-LP.

WHVL-LP technical data:
http://www.fcc.gov/fcc-bin/tvq?list=0&facid=2278

I'm surprised they squeezed that in so close to WWCP-DT, but maybe the terrain, and the distance between WWCP's stick (west of Johnstown) and WHVL-LP's stick (north of State College) make it possible.

WHVL-LP service area: http://www.fcc.gov/fcc-bin/FMTV-serv...=TX305105.html

WWCP-DT service area:
http://www.fcc.gov/fcc-bin/FMTV-serv...DT1064912.html

WWCP is trying to keep 8 to use it as its post-transition digital channel.
post #395 of 3320 Old 04-24-2006, 03:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inundated View Post

OK, here I am to solve all your problems in another thread besides Cleveland or Youngstown.

Inundated, you are everywhere!

This makes sense. Unfortunately, I did not stay on 8-1 long enough to make an ID but I believe I saw NASCAR - which is what FOX was showing on Saturday night - and I do think I remember seeing the WWCP in the PSIP data. Is WWCP the Johnstown/Altoona FOX affiliate?

Apologies to the Johnstown/Altoona folks for hijacking your thread!
post #396 of 3320 Old 04-24-2006, 05:03 AM

Yes, 8-1 is the WWCP FOX digital feed, which is supposed to eventually carry FOX-HD. 8-2 is a WATM ABC feed being simulcast (not sure that's the correct term) on Ch 29 from high atop the Laurel mountains between Jennerstown and Ligonier. WATM-HD-ABC and WWCP Digital are also being transmitted from Wopsononock Mountain (Wopsy) near Altoona as CH 24-1 ABC-HD and 24-2 FOX-SD.

Thanks again to Slykens for this info!

Fred
post #397 of 3320 Old 04-25-2006, 03:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhschellenberg View Post

Yes, 8-1 is the WWCP FOX digital feed, which is supposed to eventually carry FOX-HD. 8-2 is a WATM ABC feed being simulcast (not sure that's the correct term) on Ch 29 from high atop the Laurel mountains between Jennerstown and Ligonier. WATM-HD-ABC and WWCP Digital are also being transmitted from Wopsononock Mountain (Wopsy) near Altoona as CH 24-1 ABC-HD and 24-2 FOX-SD.

Thanks again to Slykens for this info!

Yes, that is what I captured Sat night. Not quite as impressive as capturing a signal from Altoona, but still about 125 miles for me!

I was getting an analog signal from what looks like the same site, or somewhere very close. It was WPCW, channel 19.
post #398 of 3320 Old 04-25-2006, 03:21 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBlackKnight View Post

I was getting an analog signal from what looks like the same site, or somewhere very close. It was WPCW, channel 19.

That would be the old WNPA in Jeanette. Was/is UPN. Looks like its going to be a CW affiliate soon.

That station serves the Pittsburgh market, primarily, but many people in the southwest part of our market can receive it either OTA or via cable.

Back when I had my VHF antenna up I could regularly receive channel 5 from Cleveland at night and almost always got WTAE on channel 4 from Pittsburgh. I think Cleveland is about 200 miles for me, and Pittsburgh is about 120.
post #399 of 3320 Old 04-29-2006, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanbrew View Post

No, I haven't. I still haven't called them about the 5.1 surround sound. I'll try calling tomorrow and see if I can get a knowledgeable technician. I'll mention the audio dropouts.

I've been checking the menu on my box about every week or so to see if the option for switching the audio was there. Well, today was the day! I can finally watch TV with my HDMI cable and have the sound in 5.1. I can't believe it took this long to get a firmware update that was posted almost 6 months ago!
post #400 of 3320 Old 05-01-2006, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uefigs139 View Post

I've been checking the menu on my box about every week or so to see if the option for switching the audio was there. Well, today was the day! I can finally watch TV with my HDMI cable and have the sound in 5.1. I can't believe it took this long to get a firmware update that was posted almost 6 months ago!

Yes, I got an email from the technician in Altoona about this update. I also set my audio out so that the surround sound goes to my receiver.

Do you notice that you have to turn your receiver's volume way up when tuned to the HD channels? I usually have my volume at 22 to 28 on the lower channels, but need to go up to 35-40 when watching an HD program in surround sound. Is this what you are finding?
post #401 of 3320 Old 05-14-2006, 11:44 AM

I'm anxiously awaiting my samsung dlp from the powerbuy. Until it arrives I have a decision to make:

1)stick with my current DirecTV standard definition dvr until mpeg4 hd dvr becomes available

OR

2) upgrade to the current h20-250 hd tivo dvr and later upgrade to mpeg4

OR

3) switch to adelphia hd. I haven't had adelphia in a while, but the last time I had it, it was horrible.

Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions as to which option is the better one for HD in state college? I definitely want locals in hd...but it seems from reading this thread that it may be impossible to get waivers from the locals in state college for hd on directv.
post #402 of 3320 Old 05-15-2006, 06:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jef152psu View Post

I'm anxiously awaiting my samsung dlp from the powerbuy. Until it arrives I have a decision to make:

1)stick with my current DirecTV standard definition dvr until mpeg4 hd dvr becomes available

OR

OR

3) switch to adelphia hd. I haven't had adelphia in a while, but the last time I had it, it was horrible.

Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions as to which option is the better one for HD in state college? I definitely want locals in hd...but it seems from reading this thread that it may be impossible to get waivers from the locals in state college for hd on directv.

I have a friend that has Adelphia HD here in State College. He has a Panasonic 37-inch plasma and it looks good with SD and spectacular with the HD content. Based on my observations on my friend's Panasonic I would say the PQ with Adelphia is about the best you could ask for. Also, Adelphia has dual tuner DVRs. I haven't seen any of the D* HD content so I can't comment on that.

On a side note, I called D&E Communications last week to see if they have plans to offer a DVR and HD service anytime soon. They said they don't have any such plans. I mentioned in a previous post that I spoke to an engineer named Dennis at D&E some time back and he said they hadn't decided how they were going to package their HD when they started offering DVRs, so that led me to think they might introduce the service this fall when the students return to school. Apparently that is not the case. I think I am going to switch to Adelphia pretty soon because I am tired of being HD starved.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #403 of 3320 Old 05-15-2006, 06:59 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I actually still have both hooked up at my house. IMHO Adelphia blows the pants of D* PQ wise.

Since the 750 MHz upgrade analogs look superb on my old Triniton tube and as good as SD can look on my HD projection set. On the HD side, for me, its not much of a contest. Because my set is native 720p I don't really see the effects of "HD-Lite" but I do see pixelization in D*'s signal when I almost *never* see it on Adelphia.

My suggestion would be to get Adelphia's HD DVR installed when your TV shows up and compare it for yourself. At most it might cost you $50 if you decide you don't want it.

Or perhaps use Adelphia until D*'s Spaceway satellites are all online then upgrade to MPEG4 when they have an MPEG4 DVR.

The only other factor is programming selection. With D* you get UHD and TNT-HD that are not on Adelphia but you do get InHD1 and 2, NFL Network HD, and four premium HDs as opposed to two from D*.
post #404 of 3320 Old 05-15-2006, 04:58 PM

Quote:

OR

OR

There are reports online that you can wrangle a HD Tivo and HD service from D* for free if you work at it. I've gotten 18 months of "free" HD service over the last 2 years by complaining about how poor their HD PQ is compared to Adelphia.

It's a tough time to buy an HD dvr from D*.

Adelphia might have better PQ, but I think the HD-Tivo blows the doors off the Adelphia DVR. On the other hand, D* just signed a deal with Tivo for 3 more years of service and they've stated it wil be a while before they do away with their current MPEG-2 "HD". Worst case scenario there would be that you'd buy one and then have to pay to upgrade it to an MP4 unit to get the locals in HD and whatever other new channels are offered. Otherwise, you should be able to get 2 or 3 years out of it, since DTV has stated it's going to be some time before all content is converted to MP4.
post #405 of 3320 Old 05-16-2006, 09:17 PM

I'm sure I'm not quite as knowledgeable as the others who have replied, but I just wanted to say I've had Adelphia HD service in State College for about 6 months now and, like the others have said, the PQ is pretty stunning (I was pleasantly surprised considering there's much about Adelphia that I could complain about). I watch with a Benq DLP projector on a 100-inch screen at 720P. I set the box to upconvert SD to 480P and it's noticeably improved than usual on my setup.

Well, hope this helps.

Dan

Quote:

OR

OR

post #406 of 3320 Old 05-17-2006, 03:24 AM

I wanted to thank everyone for the suggestions regarding HD in State College. I'll probably end up calling Adelphia and see if they'll let me "test drive" the hd package for a month

Thanks again for the advice!

Jon
post #407 of 3320 Old 05-22-2006, 11:53 AM

uefigs139 and others using atlantic broadband: Have you been experiencing a lot of video problems and audio dropouts recently? Several programs I've recorded recently in HD have had pretty severe digital signal breakup and audio dropouts. I've had them on the last two CSI shows I recorded, and also on American Idol, I think.

I'm trying to figure out if the problem is in my DVR or in the signal coming into the house.
post #408 of 3320 Old 05-29-2006, 01:21 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
deanbrew, not sure if this is related or just a coincidence, but I've been seeing the same thing you are describing via my off-air antenna (primarily on ABC). I've had the off-air up since the beginning of the year and this past week is the first I've seen any issues like this. I'm wondering if the source of the problem is the station itself if both off-air and cable users are seeing it... anyone else?
post #409 of 3320 Old 06-01-2006, 09:43 AM

Is it me, or is WATM not passing through HD programming on State College Adelphia Ch. 723?
post #410 of 3320 Old 06-01-2006, 12:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanPSUpa View Post

Is it me, or is WATM not passing through HD programming on State College Adelphia Ch. 723?

The other night I turned on "George Lopez" and it was in SD so it is possible that they are not passing the HD through. I believe the stations are in reruns so I don't know if that has any bearing on things. You can tune in tonight at 8pm for the Spelling Bee which is live in HD and see for sure what is going on.

As an aside, I just got Adelphia today. I had called D&E again to see if they were planning to offer a DVR or more HD content anytime soon. They said no to both so I had to jump ship even though I liked using the CableCard for all my channels (analog and digital). I got the Motorola DCT6412 dual tuner STB. I connected it with two different cables:

Component video
DVI-to-HDMI

I am not sure which picture looks better. I set both inputs up with the same picture settings yet there is a slight difference in the picture with each input. I honestly think Component video may look slightly better than the DVI output. It is hard to tell because both pictures look so great with HD content, which is all I used for the comparison. I will probably try to view more content (SD and HD) before I decide which one to stick with. Has anyone else had experience comparing either DVI or HDMI to Component? I feel like a kid in a candystore with all these HD channels now. I was watching way too much PBS before...lol.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #411 of 3320 Old 06-02-2006, 07:27 AM

Well, my barometer is Good Morning America. It was definitely in the stretched SD Wednesday and Thursday morning, but all is well, both the Spelling Bee last night and GMA this morning were in HD. Must have been a minor glitch.

Man, spelling bees are STUNNING (YAWNING) in HD!!!!
post #412 of 3320 Old 06-02-2006, 08:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanPSUpa View Post

Well, my barometer is Good Morning America. It was definitely in the stretched SD Wednesday and Thursday morning, but all is well, both the Spelling Bee last night and GMA this morning were in HD. Must have been a minor glitch.

Man, spelling bees are STUNNING (YAWNING) in HD!!!!

Glad to hear all is well. Yeah, ABC can do the Spelling Bee in HD but the Indy 500 was SD. Um...wtf. However, I am sure it is not totally ABC's decision what they get to cover in HD, otherwise I give them zero credit for having a clue what people want to watch in HD.

post #413 of 3320 Old 06-02-2006, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golferadam View Post

Glad to hear all is well. Yeah, ABC can do the Spelling Bee in HD but the Indy 500 was SD. Um...wtf. However, I am sure it is not totally ABC's decision what they get to cover in HD, otherwise I give them zero credit for having a clue what people want to watch in HD.

Agree...WTF!? I fully expected the Indy 500 to be in HD, and was surprised when it wasn't. I suspect Tony George is part of the problem, since he's been the biggest part of the problem in racing for years.
post #414 of 3320 Old 06-04-2006, 04:21 PM

Adelphia HDTV subscriber in State College, PA.

Read Below for the explanation about Indy 500 being in SD:

But what i just cant comprehend is why cant Fox and CBS transmit in HD !!!!!

Is there a petition or letter we have to send to the folks to help our case ???

After watching HD content, impossible to see SD in same light.

"
TV coverage of the Indy 500 has been an issue ever since TV came into being. Up until a few years ago, relatively speaking, there was not any live TV coverage. ABC would show a tape delay broadcast after the race was over. This kept the radio and gate revenues up, they thought, but once convinced the gate would not suffer and the TV revenues were jacked up, the live coverage started. Now to transition to HD will depend on another incremental bump in revenues. A bump that may not be worth it for ABC given the roughly only 15% penetration of HDTV owners. Add to that situation the fact that most HDTV owners think they are watching HDTV even when viewing SD, and it will be a while before the extra bucks for HD will make sense. Now if the Coca-Cola 600 were to draw a larger viewership than the INDY 500 due to FOX broadcasting it in HD, things could change.
"
post #415 of 3320 Old 06-08-2006, 03:44 AM

Ok, I've now have my tv from the powerbuy and HD from adelphia. Thanks to everyone's suggestion before about either staying with DirecTV or going to Adelphia. Quick question:

Is there any way to adjust what resolution or format is coming out of the cable box? Or is it always just set to 16:9 with something like 1080i or 720p? The reason I ask is, on HD channels (HDNet, HBOHD, etc), everything is in widescreen with the black bars top and bottom, but with my tv set to 16:9, everything looks a slightly squished.

I can't find anything in the setup options in the menus...

FYI, tv I am using is a Samsung HL-S5087. Right now I am using the component out (awaiting a dvi->hdmi cable from BlueJeans).
post #416 of 3320 Old 06-08-2006, 04:25 AM

What cable box do you have? I have a Scientific-Atlanta HD cablebox from Atlantic Broadband, and there is a setting in it for the output. I can choose among several options. You have to get the proper settings on both the cable box and TV. Call your cable company and ask to speak with a technician.
post #417 of 3320 Old 06-08-2006, 05:36 AM

Nevermind.....I just did a search on the motorola models that adelphia carries and found the pdf of the user guide and how to get to the hidef options. should have done that first before posting here.

Thanks for the reply anyway

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanbrew View Post

What cable box do you have? I have a Scientific-Atlanta HD cablebox from Atlantic Broadband, and there is a setting in it for the output. I can choose among several options. You have to get the proper settings on both the cable box and TV. Call your cable company and ask to speak with a technician.

post #418 of 3320 Old 06-08-2006, 05:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Ok, I've now have my tv from the powerbuy and HD from adelphia. Thanks to everyone's suggestion before about either staying with DirecTV or going to Adelphia. Quick question:

Is there any way to adjust what resolution or format is coming out of the cable box? Or is it always just set to 16:9 with something like 1080i or 720p? The reason I ask is, on HD channels (HDNet, HBOHD, etc), everything is in widescreen with the black bars top and bottom, but with my tv set to 16:9, everything looks a slightly squished.

I can't find anything in the setup options in the menus...

FYI, tv I am using is a Samsung HL-S5087. Right now I am using the component out (awaiting a dvi->hdmi cable from BlueJeans).

You can get into the Motorola DCT6412 settings by doing the following:

Keep your TV ON and set to the input you have your Motorola DVR connected to, so you can use the onscreen display menu instead of the DVR front panel display.

Turn off the power (using the remote or button on front of unit) to the DVR so it goes into Standby mode
Immediately push the Menu button on your remote or the front of the unit
A white page should appear with black writing. That is the User Settings menu. You can change the settings using the directional keys on your remote or the front panel of the DVR

I think by default the settings are 16:9 and 1080i. You can also change how the DVR handles SD content. I left the 4:3 override set to 480i, because I think my TV handles it best that way. If you set it to "Stretched", the DVR will upconvert SD to 1080i or whatever you have your component out set to. However, my picture with SD content looked bad with the stretched picture.

With the TV you are using, you should not be seeing bars on the stations like INHD and HDnet. Most of the programs on those stations are formatted to fill the screen of a 16:9 ratio TV. However, many of the movies on stations like HDnet Movies and HBOHD may be shown in their original aspect ratio (OAR), which is greater than 16:9, so they may have the black bars.

It sounds like some of the settings in your TV may be incorrect for handling your HD content. If you can elaborate on the settings you have chosen for your Samsung we can probably help get those worked out.

post #419 of 3320 Old 06-08-2006, 06:29 AM

Yep, I just found out how to do that via the users guide pdf on Motorola's site. I'll have to check out that menu once I get home from work.

As far as my tv settings, I can tell you that I have the component input set to 16:9 (choices are 16:9, zoom1, zoom2, 4:3). I've tried using zoom1, which does get rid of the bars, but sd content looks really bad in that mode as well as the guide being cut off slightly on the top and bottom. I've tried doing an info via the tv to see what type of signal is coming through component, but nothing shows up. I'm hoping that that dvi->hdmi cable I ordered will be a bit better.

Jon

Quote:
Originally Posted by golferadam View Post

You can get into the Motorola DCT6412 settings by doing the following:

Keep your TV ON and set to the input you have your Motorola DVR connected to, so you can use the onscreen display menu instead of the DVR front panel display.

Turn off the power (using the remote or button on front of unit) to the DVR so it goes into Standby mode
Immediately push the Menu button on your remote or the front of the unit
A white page should appear with black writing. That is the User Settings menu. You can change the settings using the directional keys on your remote or the front panel of the DVR

I think by default the settings are 16:9 and 1080i. You can also change how the DVR handles SD content. I left the 4:3 override set to 480i, because I think my TV handles it best that way. If you set it to "Stretched", the DVR will upconvert SD to 1080i or whatever you have your component out set to. However, my picture with SD content looked bad with the stretched picture.

With the TV you are using, you should not be seeing bars on the stations like INHD and HDnet. Most of the programs on those stations are formatted to fill the screen of a 16:9 ratio TV. However, many of the movies on stations like HDnet Movies and HBOHD may be shown in their original aspect ratio (OAR), which is greater than 16:9, so they may have the black bars.

It sounds like some of the settings in your TV may be incorrect for handling your HD content. If you can elaborate on the settings you have chosen for your Samsung we can probably help get those worked out.

post #420 of 3320 Old 06-08-2006, 10:03 AM
Advanced Member

Jef:

I think I found the problem. I went into the User Settings and changed the component output to 480i instead of 1080i. I went back out and my HD stations had black bars at the top and bottom and the picture looked squished as you said. If you go into the user settings and change it to 1080i or 720p it should fix the problem.

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page