Johnstown, PA - HDTV - Page 15 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #421 of 3331 Old 06-08-2006, 12:26 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks a bunch! I'll have to wait till after work to look at my settings, but what you tried sounds like my exact issue. Thanks again for the help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by golferadam View Post

Jef:

I think I found the problem. I went into the User Settings and changed the component output to 480i instead of 1080i. I went back out and my HD stations had black bars at the top and bottom and the picture looked squished as you said. If you go into the user settings and change it to 1080i or 720p it should fix the problem.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #422 of 3331 Old 06-08-2006, 05:16 PM

That solved the problem. Now watching Red Sox vs Yankees on INHD

Quote:

Jef:

I think I found the problem. I went into the User Settings and changed the component output to 480i instead of 1080i. I went back out and my HD stations had black bars at the top and bottom and the picture looked squished as you said. If you go into the user settings and change it to 1080i or 720p it should fix the problem.

post #423 of 3331 Old 06-08-2006, 07:36 PM
Advanced Member

Glad it worked. Enjoy the HD
post #424 of 3331 Old 06-09-2006, 01:27 AM

I am kinda dispointed with Atlantic broadband as of now, the reason for the disapointment is because today I was surpised to see news article about Comcast that is providing espn2hd to their customers starting today! Atlantic broadband themselves had been talking about addin up espn2hd to our customers. It's been more than a year and where's espnd2hd? This is horrible and merely disaster for us because World Cup tornament goes international with the most technological advance video feed. I am pretty sure that everyone agree on rather watching glorious high def than watching analog espn2hd.

World cup will be on 3 different feeds, ABC HD, ESPN HD and ESPN2HD. most of the shows will be on ESPN2HD and ABC will only appear once a week on weekends only, which is on Saturday. Cmon Atlantic should of provide the best entertaiment to it's customers..

Also i was wondering if Adelphia customers is gettin espn2hd?
post #425 of 3331 Old 06-09-2006, 04:21 AM

Yes, Adelphia has espn2HD
post #426 of 3331 Old 06-09-2006, 06:20 AM

I'm also upset that Atlantic Broadband doesn't include INHD and INHD2 in the HD lineup. I called customer service and inquired and I might as well have been speaking Greek. The woman had NO idea what I was talking about.

"But we do offer high definition channels. you have to get the HD package."

"Yes, I already subsrcibe to the HD package."

"Well, then you get all the HD channels there are."

"I want to know why you don't have INHD and INHD2 in the lineup. I was at a friends house and he had INHD and INHD2. He has a different cable company"

"You need an HD cable box to receive high definition channels."

"Forget it. I give up."

"OK. Have I met your expectations for customer service today?"

"Yes, absolutely."
post #427 of 3331 Old 06-09-2006, 10:06 AM
Advanced Member

I thought the lineups of most cable companies were about the same. I was surprised to learn that many of them do not include ESPN2HD, because Adelpha does.
post #428 of 3331 Old 06-09-2006, 06:05 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Atlantic Broadband HD?

I presently have Atlantic Broadband for locals and Directv for all other channels. I'm
very happy with D*tv but am thinking about going to Atlantic BB for everything to
get HD since I can't get locals in HD thru D*tv. I've seen some recent complaints
about Atlantic BB such as no INHD, no ESPN2HD, etc. By the way I've been told
ESPN2HD is in the works. Anyway my questions are:

How does the picture quality compare between Atlantic BB HD vs D*tv HD
or simply how is the Atl BB HD picture quality if you can't compare to D*tv HD?

Does Atlantic BB have a DVR for their HD package?

Does the HD package include CBS?

Thanks for any input!
post #429 of 3331 Old 06-09-2006, 08:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by psu85 View Post

Atlantic Broadband HD?

Thanks for any input!

My understanding is that most cable companies have superior HD compared to D*. I recall a frequent poster in this thread, Slykens, said that he has both Adelphia and D* and Adelphia blows away D*. Granted you are talking about Atlantic BB, but I have read that typically you get better PQ with a cable company. Perhaps someone has direct experience with it and they will comment.

I recall DeanBrew saying that he has a Scientific Atanta 8300HD DVR from Atlantic BB.

I don't know about CBS in HD through Atlantic BB. We don't have it here in State College though.
post #430 of 3331 Old 06-09-2006, 10:33 PM

Quote:

My understanding is that most cable companies have superior HD compared to D*. I recall a frequent poster in this thread, Slykens, said that he has both Adelphia and D* and Adelphia blows away D*. Granted you are talking about Atlantic BB, but I have read that typically you get better PQ with a cable company. Perhaps someone has direct experience with it and they will comment.

I recall DeanBrew saying that he has a Scientific Atanta 8300HD DVR from Atlantic BB.

I don't know about CBS in HD through Atlantic BB. We don't have it here in State College though.

I think Picture Quality is a very subjective thing. I've seen ABC-HD OTA, ABC over Adelphia and ABC from NY on DirecTV. All look more or less the same to me. One thing DirecTV has over the locals is 5.1 sound on all the 'nets.

My suggestion would be to go where the content is. If you like sports in HD, go to DTV. If you like average cable company fare, go with Cable.
post #431 of 3331 Old 06-10-2006, 08:56 AM
Advanced Member

ABC-HD is blacked out for some reason. I just got up to catch some of the World Cup and I my ABC-HD station is blacked out OTA and through Adelphia. I can get WATM-SD OTA and through Adelphia so the blackout must be at WATM's end. Anyone else have this problem?

Also, the Pirates game last night was blacked out for me on INHD, I guess because FSP Pittsburgh was carrying it. That sucked. I was pumped to watch the Buckos in HD.
post #432 of 3331 Old 06-10-2006, 09:21 AM

Quote:

ABC-HD is blacked out for some reason. I just got up to catch some of the World Cup and I my ABC-HD station is blacked out OTA and through Adelphia. I can get WATM-SD OTA and through Adelphia so the blackout must be at WATM's end. Anyone else have this problem?

Also, the Pirates game last night was blacked out for me on INHD, I guess because FSP Pittsburgh was carrying it. That sucked. I was pumped to watch the Buckos in HD.

The same thing applies to me. I called Adelphia, and the customer service person told me that it is not due to Adelphia. That's too bad, because I wanted to watch World Cup soccer in WATM HD.
post #433 of 3331 Old 06-10-2006, 12:54 PM
Advanced Member

ABC-HD is back. Not sure what the problem was but hopefully it was an isolated incident and we will get the rest of the World Cup coverage in HD.
post #434 of 3331 Old 06-10-2006, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psu85 View Post

Atlantic Broadband HD?

I presently have Atlantic Broadband for locals and Directv for all other channels. I'm
very happy with D*tv but am thinking about going to Atlantic BB for everything to
get HD since I can't get locals in HD thru D*tv. I've seen some recent complaints
about Atlantic BB such as no INHD, no ESPN2HD, etc. By the way I've been told
ESPN2HD is in the works. Anyway my questions are:

Thanks for any input!

I am satisfied with the picture quality I get with ABB, both SD and HD. I can't compare directly with satellite on my TV, but my picture looks better than some satellite HD that I've seen on other sets.

Regarding the channels, I am a little disappointed that I don't get INHD or ESPN2, but thrilled that I get all four major networks (ABC, CBS, NBC and Fox) in HD, as well as ESPN, a PBS channel, and several others. The CBS HD feed is KDKA from Pittsburgh, not WTAJ in Altoona, but that's no big deal other than the local news, which isn't in HD anyway.

Yes, I have an HD DVR cable box that I rent from Altantic BB. It's not as user-friendly as Tivo, but it works. You can record two shows at once on it, which is nice.

Getting all of the local networks in HD is a BIG plus, enough to keep me on cable and away from satellite.
post #435 of 3331 Old 06-13-2006, 12:24 PM

Greetings All ~

I am a D*TV subscriber who has successfully received exception letters for FOX, NBC, and CBS given that I am unable to get the OTA HD signals at my home. I have been trying to get ABC OTA since the Super Bowl with no success. I would REALLY like to get the "local" ABC HD instead of getting another NY Feed exemption (which is what I have for the other major networks).

So, what OTA antenna and pre-amp combinations are people using to get ABC OTA in the State College area? I live off Puddintown Rd. and my line-of-sight to the Altoona ABC HD tower is sorta blocked by a row of evergreen trees (would that make a big difference in my signal strength?). Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
post #436 of 3331 Old 06-13-2006, 02:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rto107 View Post

Greetings All ~
So, what OTA antenna and pre-amp combinations are people using to get ABC OTA in the State College area? I live off Puddintown Rd. and my line-of-sight to the Altoona ABC HD tower is sorta blocked by a row of evergreen trees (would that make a big difference in my signal strength?). Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

I live in an apartment building in downtown State College. I have a slightly blocked view of the southern sky from my 2nd floor indoor balcony. When I put my Winegard SS-3000 antenna on my balcony aimed south I can pick up WTAJ, WATM, and WPSU. If the antenna is inside I can only pick up WPSU. I do not have a pre-amp. I just use the antenna. I think I am doing pretty well to pick up those three stations even though I have to get the antenna outside because I am surrounded by alot of concrete and trees. If you have a house, you should probably try for an outdoor antenna though.
post #437 of 3331 Old 06-13-2006, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rto107 View Post

Greetings All ~

I am a D*TV subscriber who has successfully received exception letters for FOX, NBC, and CBS given that I am unable to get the OTA HD signals at my home. I have been trying to get ABC OTA since the Super Bowl with no success. I would REALLY like to get the "local" ABC HD instead of getting another NY Feed exemption (which is what I have for the other major networks).

I have a friend who lives near that area. I helped him get set up to receive ABC-HD OTA for the superbowl.

The only setup that worked consistently and reliably was to mount a small Yagi similar to this:

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...entPage=search
or
http://www.solidsignal.com/prod_disp...main_cat=&CAT=

on his chimney, using a chimney strap mounting kit and antenna pole from Radio Shack.

We also had to use an amp to boost the signal. We used a Radio Shack amp, but the ChannelMaster amps are considered the best:

http://www.solidsignal.com/prod_disp...p?PROD=ANC7777

ABC worked great when last I was there. I haven't heard any complaints, so I suspect things are still OK.

I live up the hill on Mount Nittany and can get ABC, CBS and PBS just fine. I can mostly get NBC, but I get occasional dropouts when the leaves are out.
post #438 of 3331 Old 06-13-2006, 06:32 PM

Evaluating State College HD options. I live in a home in the borough, and I'm ready to pull the trigger on a new plasma. My question for this group is what are you HG setups to receive the largest amount of programming.

Currently I subscribe to D***Network with locals. What are the pros and cons of moving to Adelphia vs. upgrading my DN account to an HG package? Does anyone have an update on the OTA time line to receive all 4 major networks? Is a waiver the way to go?

Frankly, the best buy guys weren't all that helpful today, so I thought I'd consult the collective expertise of this board.

Thanks
post #439 of 3331 Old 06-13-2006, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adacjw View Post

Evaluating State College HD options. I live in a home in the borough, and I'm ready to pull the trigger on a new plasma. My question for this group is what are you HG setups to receive the largest amount of programming.

Currently I subscribe to D***Network with locals. What are the pros and cons of moving to Adelphia vs. upgrading my DN account to an HG package? Does anyone have an update on the OTA time line to receive all 4 major networks? Is a waiver the way to go?

Frankly, the best buy guys weren't all that helpful today, so I thought I'd consult the collective expertise of this board.

Thanks

As far as OTA locals go, the info on the front of this thread that was posted by slykens is still current. Most places in SC are likely to get PBS and ABC in HD. In addition, you'll get FOX in SD as a subchannel on the ABC transmitter (ch 24) and
CBS (digital, but SD) is tunable on channel 32 in most parts of the area. NBC is broadcasting in HD from Johnstown, but reception in this area is dicey.

As far as DiSH vs DirecTV vs Adelphia, my advice is to look over the programming content and pick the service that fits your desires. All 3 of the options are not perfect and suck in some way. Adelphia has ABC, PBS and NBC in HD, but Both DTV and DiSH will install a HD STB that will tune the OTA digital stations within the limits of what's receivable. IMO, the DTV HD TiVO is the best STB available, but that's me...

Be aware that it's likely that neither DiSH or DTV will have the Altoona/Johnstown/State College locals in HD for some time. I would argue the sat providers will not bother to pick up our market until all the stations are broadcasting HD OTA.
post #440 of 3331 Old 06-15-2006, 07:29 AM

I don't know if this is news to anyone here but I figured I'd post it anyway. So, I had my Adelphia HD installed last week (Motorola DCT-6412 box). Had lots of problems with the box, especially playing back recordings. The recordings would pause/stutter then just go to a black screen. Couldn't do anything but go back to the guide or live tv. I figured it must be a bad hard drive.

I went to the local Adelphia office and asked for a new box. The woman there said she probably won't be able to give me one with the dvi out, but they may have the new boxes that they just started getting in. She said they have hdmi out only. They did in fact have one of the new ones left (in the box with a manual).

I took it home and it's still a Motorola DCT-6412 but it's the Phase III. Everything pretty much the same except it has hdmi out. I will say I'm glad to use the hdmi out for my tv...I can finally use closed captioning, which wouldn't work with the dvi->hdmi setup I used before.
post #441 of 3331 Old 06-15-2006, 12:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jef152psu View Post

I don't know if this is news to anyone here but I figured I'd post it anyway. So, I had my Adelphia HD installed last week (Motorola DCT-6412 box). Had lots of problems with the box, especially playing back recordings. The recordings would pause/stutter then just go to a black screen. Couldn't do anything but go back to the guide or live tv. I figured it must be a bad hard drive.

I went to the local Adelphia office and asked for a new box. The woman there said she probably won't be able to give me one with the dvi out, but they may have the new boxes that they just started getting in. She said they have hdmi out only. They did in fact have one of the new ones left (in the box with a manual).

I took it home and it's still a Motorola DCT-6412 but it's the Phase III. Everything pretty much the same except it has hdmi out. I will say I'm glad to use the hdmi out for my tv...I can finally use closed captioning, which wouldn't work with the dvi->hdmi setup I used before.

That is great news. I was just talking to a friend of mine about this the other day. I read in another forum about the Phase III box and was hoping Adelphia might get them here. I guess there is no way to try to get one other than drive out to the office since they don't provide the local phone number? Also, did you notice if the box has the SATA port on the back? Thanks for the update.
post #442 of 3331 Old 06-15-2006, 01:05 PM

Quote:

That is great news. I was just talking to a friend of mine about this the other day. I read in another forum about the Phase III box and was hoping Adelphia might get them here. I guess there is no way to try to get one other than drive out to the office since they don't provide the local phone number? Also, did you notice if the box has the SATA port on the back? Thanks for the update.

As far as I know, the only way to get it is by driving out to the office. I suppose you can try and call the national 888 number and see if they can either send you one or send someone out with one. They didn't seem to know much about the HD boxes, ports and what you would get though. I didn't notice if it had the sata port, I'll take a look when I get home after work.

Am I correct in assuming that Adelphia probably doesn't support the usb/sata/network ports? What would the benefit be in using the sata or usb port anyway? More storage or media sharing/viewing?
post #443 of 3331 Old 06-15-2006, 01:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Am I correct in assuming that Adelphia probably doesn't support the usb/sata/network ports? What would the benefit be in using the sata or usb port anyway? More storage or media sharing/viewing?

I have not read all of the threads on the Phase III DCT6412 but the theory is that an additional harddrive can be connected to the SATA port to expand your recording space. This has been done successfully with the SA8300HD STB, which also has a SATA port. I will read some more about the Phase III and let you guys know if anyone has been successful in adding another harddrive.
post #444 of 3331 Old 06-15-2006, 04:30 PM

Quote:

I have not read all of the threads on the Phase III DCT6412 but the theory is that an additional harddrive can be connected to the SATA port to expand your recording space. This has been done successfully with the SA8300HD STB, which also has a SATA port. I will read some more about the Phase III and let you guys know if anyone has been successful in adding another harddrive.

Mine does have the SATA port.
post #445 of 3331 Old 06-16-2006, 07:25 AM

Quote:

I find this especially interesting: http://macteens.com/index.php/featur...tre_mac_htmac/

If the firewire ports are active (as they should be according to FCC mandate), then it might be possible to just setup an old mac with bigger hard drive space. Too bad you can't just hook up a firewire drive, but this is better than nothing.

You can do it with a pc as well:
http://replayguide.sourceforge.net/dct6412/
post #446 of 3331 Old 06-16-2006, 07:44 AM

If you want a real laugh. Try calling Adelphia and asking to subscribe to *just*their HD channels.. I called a couple weeks ago and the guy I talked to thought I was on crack.

There appears to be no way to get hd without getting about $60/mo in other Adelphia programming. Has anyone managed to just subscribe to just the HD package? What's the secret code word?
post #447 of 3331 Old 06-16-2006, 09:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I find this especially interesting: http://macteens.com/index.php/featu...atre_mac_htmac/

If the firewire ports are active (as they should be according to FCC mandate), then it might be possible to just setup an old mac with bigger hard drive space. Too bad you can't just hook up a firewire drive, but this is better than nothing.

You can do it with a pc as well:
http://replayguide.sourceforge.net/dct6412/

Yes, it should be possible to stream your content from the DCT6412 to a PC or Mac using the firewire ports. What has been done with the SA8300HD was that an additional SATA drive was added to the DVR (externally), increasing the total library size in the DVR. The two approaches are slightly different, with the addition of a SATA drive being more desirable since it is truly like increasing your DVR size. The streaming via firewire is just a way to back up your shows so they don't have to be deleted when your DVR fills up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyiota View Post

If you want a real laugh. Try calling Adelphia and asking to subscribe to *just*their HD channels.. I called a couple weeks ago and the guy I talked to thought I was on crack.

There appears to be no way to get hd without getting about $60/mo in other Adelphia programming. Has anyone managed to just subscribe to just the HD package? What's the secret code word?

I have seen this discussed in other threads. Some people have managed to slip under the radar and get an HD box and get just the HD channels without having to get 100 other digital channels to go with it. It seems like a rare lucky occurrence though. Hopefully the ala carte programming will get adopted and we will be able to get only the HD stations later.
post #448 of 3331 Old 06-16-2006, 10:42 AM
Advanced Member

I just read through the thread about the Motorola DCT6412 Phase III box . Apparently the SATA port is DISABLED. The people that tested the SATA port were Comcast customers. Also, a guy posted the following:

"Comcast Cable has dropped all current plans to enable the SATA port on any of the Motorola DCT STB for external HD storage. They have also dropped plans to Rent External HD."

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&&#post6662012

But he more recently said this:

"(Comcast) are working on the software & DRM security software to allow external DVR Hard Drives via the eSata port only."

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&&#post7541895

Since Comcast is buying Adelphia our prospects for adding external storage are bleak. This is a real disappointment because I am constantly filling my DVR and I became accustomed to having a large library of shows on my HTPC with Beyond TV and my Hauppagge TV tuner before I got Adelphia.

One guy replaced the existing 120GB in his new Phase III DCT6412 with a 160GB drive and it worked, increasing his capacity slightly. When he replaced the stock 120GB drive with a 500GB drive, the firmwire formatted it for only 160GB of space. Apparently that is the upper limit written into the firmware. Some of the new Phase III boxes come with a 160GB so maybe we will be lucky enough to get one of those.
post #449 of 3331 Old 06-17-2006, 11:40 AM
Advanced Member

WJAC-DT seems to be down. I can get the analog station but the HD channel is out. This is perfect timing since the US Open (in HD) is on right now.
Anyone else having this problem?
post #450 of 3331 Old 06-17-2006, 01:46 PM

Quote:

WJAC-DT seems to be down. I can get the analog station but the HD channel is out. This is perfect timing since the US Open (in HD) is on right now.
Anyone else having this problem?

I'm not in State College, but I'm watching the US Open in HD on WJAC-HD OTA on Ch 6-1.

Fred
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page