Johnstown, PA - HDTV - Page 16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 3317 Old 06-17-2006, 12:57 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Interesting. Unfortunately I cannot get WJAC OTA in State College so I could not check if it was working. I have Adelphia so maybe it was a problem at their end. I talked to another friend that has Adelphia and he said his WJAC-DT was out also. I am at work now so maybe they got it restored.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 3317 Old 06-18-2006, 04:27 PM

Doesnt anyone noticed that WATM-HD (ABC HD) doesnt have 5.1 surround sound? All of my HD channels have 5.1 expect for ABC HD...
post #453 of 3317 Old 06-18-2006, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d0uble2d View Post

Doesnt anyone noticed that WATM-HD (ABC HD) doesnt have 5.1 surround sound? All of my HD channels have 5.1 expect for ABC HD...

I don't get it from WJAC-HD, either. I get WJAC-HD OTA, but don't think I've heard any 5.1 audio yet.

Fred
post #454 of 3317 Old 06-20-2006, 05:16 AM

Has anyone had their espnhd signal disappear or "freeze"? What happens is this: I'll be watching some other channel, and I'll switch to espnhd and the channel switches but the picture doesn't change, it will be stuck with a "frozen" picture of whatever channel I was on previous. It seems to only happen with espnhd, nothing else. It's happened to me twice now, but otherwise I get espnhd fine.

Is this a issue with the adelphia signal, my cablebox or ESPN?
post #455 of 3317 Old 06-20-2006, 08:54 AM
Advanced Member

When did it happen? Last night the Phillies game on ESPN-HD was blacked out. I experienced the exact thing you did when the Pirates game was blacked out on INHD. That was the only time I experienced it - when something was blacked out on an HD channel.
post #456 of 3317 Old 06-20-2006, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golferadam View Post

When did it happen? Last night the Phillies game on ESPN-HD was blacked out. I experienced the exact thing you did when the Pirates game was blacked out on INHD. That was the only time I experienced it - when something was blacked out on an HD channel.

Yep, it happened last night and it happened a few days ago as well. I thought it was something wrong with my signal or cable box. You would think they would at least put in HD repeats of something else if they are gonna black out a game.

Jon
post #457 of 3317 Old 06-20-2006, 11:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jef152psu View Post

Yep, it happened last night and it happened a few days ago as well. I thought it was something wrong with my signal or cable box. You would think they would at least put in HD repeats of something else if they are gonna black out a game.
Jon

Yeah, I guess the blacking out of a channel causes the glitch. Interestingly, ESPNNews was running on the normal analog ESPN during the game, but ESPN-HD was just a black screen. I never recall games being blacked out before when I had D&E Communications. Are the blackouts done by the cable provider?
post #458 of 3317 Old 06-20-2006, 09:37 PM

Quote:

Yeah, I guess the blacking out of a channel causes the glitch. Interestingly, ESPNNews was running on the normal analog ESPN during the game, but ESPN-HD was just a black screen. I never recall games being blacked out before when I had D&E Communications. Are the blackouts done by the cable provider?

It's some sort of rights issue.. Comcast owns the philles rights and will black out ESPN-HD when they have the game on Comcast Sportsnet in HD. I've been arguing the same issue with Directv since the Mets/Phils game that was on ESPN last wed.
Apparently Comcast won't deal with the satellite providers. (there's a surprise)
I am surprised that they're blacking out ESPN on Adelphia as well.
post #459 of 3317 Old 06-26-2006, 10:24 AM

Hey all, I am moving to State College in August into a graduate apartment complex (Nittany Gardens) and want to ask a couple questions.

This complex offers D&E communications service (I am getting free high speed cable from them), but there is no HD with D&E. So I don't think I will be able to get Adelphia (since I am getting a free cable modem service from D&E.) That leaves Dish network and Directv. From each of their websites, and from what I can see, Dish offers about 25 HD channels, where as Directv offers 10. Not including OTA channels.

So, I was wondering if there is any downfall to Dish Network in State College. I browsed through as much of the thread as I could, but I could not find anything about it.
post #460 of 3317 Old 06-27-2006, 11:31 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by psincubus View Post

Hey all, I am moving to State College in August into a graduate apartment complex (Nittany Gardens) and want to ask a couple questions.

Heh, I have never heard someone call Nittany Gardens a "graduate apartment complex." I suppose its not really for mainstream students but there's plenty there.

Anyway, D&E offers WJAC-DT, WATM-DT, and WPSX-DT as far as I know but you have to provide the QAM256 capable tuner. No networks so no ESPN, etc.

If you're willing to give up the free cable modem/service you may be able to have Adelphia hooked up but you'll pay full boat for Adelphia.

I don't know how successful you'll be at getting Dish network installed there. Assuming you're on the proper side of a building you may find some trees in the way depending on what building you're in.

You'll also need some sort of OTA antenna to pick up locals in HD. Don't count on picking up WJAC-DT or WWCP-DT OTA for awhile.

If you have the cash to burn try to get Adelphia installed. If you don't, you're just going to have to wait til you move in to see what you can get satellite and OTA.
post #461 of 3317 Old 06-27-2006, 07:54 PM

Thanks for the reply, do you know how much Adelphia would be per month with the cable modem and a good amount of digital channels?

Their website does not mention prices for cable service (although i did find the pricing for the cable modem).
post #462 of 3317 Old 06-28-2006, 08:48 AM

psincubus:

I have 2 HD boxes, one with DVR. I have the Silver Advantage Pak, includes 1 premium 90% of the non-premimum channels, and Cable Modem. I'm currently paying $118/month, I think that goes up to $128 or $130 when my 3 month promotion runs out.
post #463 of 3317 Old 06-28-2006, 05:50 PM

Please Help! ABC-HD on Adelphia which I tune in on channel 114.5 through Adelphia's basic cable service and my tv's tuner has not received a signal for the past two days. NBC-HD and PBS-HD are fine.

Did ABC-HD move to a new location?
post #464 of 3317 Old 06-29-2006, 07:58 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanPSUpa View Post

I have 2 HD boxes, one with DVR. I have the Silver Advantage Pak, includes 1 premium 90% of the non-premimum channels, and Cable Modem. I'm currently paying $118/month, I think that goes up to $128 or $130 when my 3 month promotion runs out.

I think I'm at $130/mo for the full boat, cable modem, every channel. You might want to check and see how much it would be to go to the full service pack if you're going to be paying it anyway.
post #465 of 3317 Old 06-29-2006, 11:29 AM

anyone with dish network or direct tv in state college, what direction do they point your dish in?

from my apartment I have a clear view from the South to north (facing west).
post #466 of 3317 Old 06-29-2006, 11:47 AM

Quote:

anyone with dish network or direct tv in state college, what direction do they point your dish in?

Regardless of where you are, the DirecTV and Dish satellites are the geosynchronous type in stationary orbit over the equator. Thus anybody in the Northern hemisphere must point their dishes in a generally south direction. You can go to DirecTV's website (and probably Dish's), insert your zipcode, and get your exact azimuth (angle toward the equator) and elevation settings.

Fred
post #467 of 3317 Old 06-29-2006, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhschellenberg View Post

Regardless of where you are, the DirecTV and Dish satellites are the geosynchronous type in stationary orbit over the equator. Thus anybody in the Northern hemisphere must point their dishes in a generally south direction. You can go to DirecTV's website (and probably Dish's), insert your zipcode, and get your exact azimuth (angle toward the equator) and elevation settings.

edit: Thanks, found a PDF file with the desired info at dish network's website

I am on the third floor of the building, so as long as the trees aren't THAT high around my building, I should be get a clear shot at all the Dish Network satellites!
post #468 of 3317 Old 06-29-2006, 02:08 PM

Quote:

edit: Thanks, found a PDF file with the desired info at dish network's website

I am on the third floor of the building, so as long as the trees aren't THAT high around my building, I should be get a clear shot at all the Dish Network satellites!

You're welcome! You should be fine if you decide on DirecTV also. Another thing to keep in mind is that to pick up your locals in standard definition (HD locals aren't available yet on DirecTV - not sure of Dish), will require a second dish for either DirecTV or Dish (not positive about Dish). Good Luck and Enjoy!

Fred
post #469 of 3317 Old 06-29-2006, 04:41 PM

Two dishes would suck, my whole balcony will be filled! At my house in NJ we have directv and we get locals with only one dish, so let's hope it will be the same in State College.
post #470 of 3317 Old 06-29-2006, 06:22 PM

Quote:

Directv's main satellites are in the 235-245 degree range.

Both DTV and Dish require a second satellite for locals. Those sats are arout 180 degrees.
post #471 of 3317 Old 06-29-2006, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyiota View Post

Directv's main satellites are in the 235-245 degree range.

Both DTV and Dish require a second satellite for locals. Those sats are arout 180 degrees.

Hmm, I don't know if I can get one pointing 180... Since I will have a D&E cable modem, i might as well pay $10 a month for all the locals, and use Dish for the 25 HD channels.

Does anyone have any problems with Dish Network in State College? Is it hard to get a signal in the winter during all the snowstorms?

Sorry for all the questions, but just a few more: Is Paul & Tony's Stereo a good store to purchase a Sony TV? Are their prices usually lower than MSRP? Do they offer the Sony warranties (at sonystyle.com a 5 year warranty is less than $300 for the TV I want.)

Thanks for all the help, It is hard to find answers and become prepared when I have not yet moved to PA (8/12/2006 is my move date).
post #472 of 3317 Old 06-30-2006, 07:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Is there any update on when WTAJ will begin offering HD?
I'm also interested in if/when WPSU plans to fire up their on-channel translator in the Johnstown area. I am getting just a hint of a signal from the main tx in Clearfield, but not enough to resolve (planning a mission to the roof this weekend to check connectors and such on the antenna system).
I have access to ABB HD, but don't plan to sign up until they add some additional content, so my HD fix must be fed OTA. Here in Brownstown (a suburb of Johnstown) I can receive DT channels 24, 29, 32, 34, and 46. Channels 15 and 30 elude me, as do all the Pittsburgh DTs (which was a bit of a crap shoot from the beginning)

ÂOne of the few good things about modern times: If you die horribly on television, you will not have died in vain. You will have entertained us.Â
- Kurt Vonnegut
-0-
post #473 of 3317 Old 06-30-2006, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA_MainyYak View Post

Is there any update on when WTAJ will begin offering HD?
I'm also interested in if/when WPSU plans to fire up their on-channel translator in the Johnstown area. I am getting just a hint of a signal from the main tx in Clearfield, but not enough to resolve (planning a mission to the roof this weekend to check connectors and such on the antenna system).
I have access to ABB HD, but don't plan to sign up until they add some additional content, so my HD fix must be fed OTA. Here in Brownstown (a suburb of Johnstown) I can receive DT channels 24, 29, 32, 34, and 46. Channels 15 and 30 elude me, as do all the Pittsburgh DTs (which was a bit of a crap shoot from the beginning)

Welcome, PA_MainyYak,
I don't think there's any news on WTAJ-HD.
Please tell me about this WPSU translator.
And lastly, ate many a Friday fish sandwich from the B-29 in Brownstown during my career at Penelec!

Fred
post #474 of 3317 Old 06-30-2006, 07:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Two dishes would suck, my whole balcony will be filled! At my house in NJ we have directv and we get locals with only one dish, so let's hope it will be the same in State College.

Did you say that your apartment gives you D&E basic cable with your rent? If so, maybe D* can run your lines separately from your cable lines and you could use the D&E feed to get locals. D&E is also piping the WATM and WPSU in HD in the clear so you could get those locals in HD. I have never had D* so I don't know if they take your cable lines and use those for sending their satellite reception to their box.

Quote:

Sorry for all the questions, but just a few more: Is Paul & Tony's Stereo a good store to purchase a Sony TV? Are their prices usually lower than MSRP? Do they offer the Sony warranties (at sonystyle.com a 5 year warranty is less than $300 for the TV I want.)

I have usually found that prices online are hard to beat. However, I have never dealt with Paul & Tony's. There is a store called J&R that has good prices on Sony TVs and everything I have read says they are quite reputable. I got my Sony 30XS955 HDTV from Crutchfield but I wish I had gone with J&R and used the extra money towards a receiver or something else.

Quote:

I sure hope they get online prior to the PGA Championship.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoePa50 View Post

Please Help! ABC-HD on Adelphia which I tune in on channel 114.5 through Adelphia's basic cable service and my tv's tuner has not received a signal for the past two days. NBC-HD and PBS-HD are fine.

Did ABC-HD move to a new location?

Depending on the type of TV, you may be able to rescan for additional digital channels. I believe your channel lineup should stay the same and you will get any new channels if they show up on different channels. I am out of town right now but I will check it next week when I get back. I also get Adelphia's ABC HD feed in the clear on 114.5.
post #475 of 3317 Old 07-02-2006, 04:20 PM

Does anybody have any idea on when Comcast will be taking over Adelphia in State College?

JayPo
ThePolettos.com
post #476 of 3317 Old 07-03-2006, 02:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Welcome, PA_MainyYak,
Please tell me about this WPSU translator.
And lastly, ate many a Friday fish sandwich from the B-29 in Brownstown during my career at Penelec!

I've read about the WPSU translators on this forum, but have not come across anything "official", and the good people at WPSU appear too busy to answer email (guess I should send a pledge!)
Good news is I've been tightening connectors and doing some additional tweaking, and managed to bring in WTAE-DT and have pulled signals from several additional Pittsburgh stattions, but have not yet gotten them to resolve; but it is progress.

The world famous fish from the B-29 alas is no more. The B-29 crashed (twice) as successive new owners tried and failed to make a go of it. Guess losing all you former Penelec guys has hurt business!

ÂOne of the few good things about modern times: If you die horribly on television, you will not have died in vain. You will have entertained us.Â
- Kurt Vonnegut
-0-
post #477 of 3317 Old 07-03-2006, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA_MainyYak View Post

I've read about the WPSU translators on this forum, but have not come across anything "official", and the good people at WPSU appear too busy to answer email (guess I should send a pledge!)
Good news is I've been tightening connectors and doing some additional tweaking, and managed to bring in WTAE-DT and have pulled signals from several additional Pittsburgh stattions, but have not yet gotten them to resolve; but it is progress.

Here's some info on SFNs. You might recognize some of the maps:

http://www.tvtechnology.com/features...chnology.shtml

http://www.tvtechnology.com/features...chnology.shtml

http://www.tvtechnology.com/features...12.07.05.shtml
post #478 of 3317 Old 07-05-2006, 01:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypopsu View Post

Does anybody have any idea on when Comcast will be taking over Adelphia in State College?

Only recent news I could find was this
post #479 of 3317 Old 07-06-2006, 05:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyiota View Post

Here's some info on SFNs. You might recognize some of the maps:

{please refer to original post for these links}

Appreciate the links. So, it appears to be something of a science project at the moment. {Update: WPSU's veteran engineer Carl Fisher says the Altoona and Johnstown boosters are still planned, but not immediately. He cites a number of issues, most notably a lack of FCC rules covering this concept.}

Good news is I finally locked in the Ch 15 main signal from Clearfield, but it is right at the threshold. [Now all I have to do is convince my neighbor to cut down a tree and the signal should be quite acceptable!]

BTW, WJAC has just added a third channel 6.3, that seems to be an SD feed of the main HD stream.

- Kurt Vonnegut
-0-
post #480 of 3317 Old 07-06-2006, 08:14 AM

Quote:

Only recent news I could find was this

According to reports I've seen, July 31 is in fact the closing date for the deal. The real question is how long before comcast's management and budgeting affect the system?
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page