Johnstown, PA - HDTV - Page 17 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #481 of 3318 Old 07-06-2006, 02:24 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
hey PA_MainyYak im just wondering what part of johnstown from? and what ota hd channels are you getting? because im from johnstown to im getting 34wjactv 29 fox and something 32 and 24 from altoona and something 15 from clearfield. i somethime get singal from pittsburgh but never lock on them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #482 of 3318 Old 07-07-2006, 04:39 AM

I've always heard that the schools in Johnstown were lousy.

[Just a joke.]
post #483 of 3318 Old 07-07-2006, 05:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by paguy05 View Post

hey PA_MainyYak im just wondering what part of johnstown from? and what ota hd channels are you getting? because im from johnstown to im getting 34wjactv 29 fox and something 32 and 24 from altoona and something 15 from clearfield. i somethime get singal from pittsburgh but never lock on them.

I'm in Brownstown (elev 1,535). Right now, I'm getting:
34 (WJAC 6.n) NBC
29 (WWCP 8.n) FOX [but unstable signal due to obstructions]
32 (WTAJ 10.n) CBS
24 (WATM 23.n) ABC
46 (WKBS 47.n) Cornerstone
15 (WPSU 3.n) PBS [but very unstable due to obstruction]
51 (WTAE 4.n) ABC [barely]

I have gotten signals but have not been able to lock onto:
25 (KDKA 2.n) CBS
43 (WPGH 53.n) FOX
I've also gotten just a whiff of WPXI (48) and the Pittsburgh WB (42), but nary a hint of WQED (38).

Planning some additional tweaks to my antenna system (cleaning contacts, raising the antenna another foot, making sure it is level, etc) as well as trying to talk my neigbors into trimming some signal-blocking trees.

So, paguy05, from what part of the "Flood Free {my ass} City are you from?

ÂOne of the few good things about modern times: If you die horribly on television, you will not have died in vain. You will have entertained us.Â
- Kurt Vonnegut
-0-
post #484 of 3318 Old 07-07-2006, 06:33 AM

Thanks for the response golferadam. You're right tinyiota, it's not when they take over, but how long before it affects the endusers. I'm actually looking forward to a change.

JayPo
ThePolettos.com
post #485 of 3318 Old 07-07-2006, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA_MainyYak View Post

I'm in Brownstown (elev 1,535). Right now, I'm getting:
34 (WJAC 6.n) NBC
29 (WWCP 8.n) FOX [but unstable signal due to obstructions]
32 (WTAJ 10.n) CBS
24 (WATM 23.n) ABC
46 (WKBS 47.n) Cornerstone
15 (WPSU 3.n) PBS [but very unstable due to obstruction]
51 (WTAE 4.n) ABC [barely]

I have gotten signals but have not been able to lock onto:
25 (KDKA 2.n) CBS
43 (WPGH 53.n) FOX
I've also gotten just a whiff of WPXI (48) and the Pittsburgh WB (42), but nary a hint of WQED (38).

Planning some additional tweaks to my antenna system (cleaning contacts, raising the antenna another foot, making sure it is level, etc) as well as trying to talk my neigbors into trimming some signal-blocking trees.

So, paguy05, from what part of the "Flood Free {my ass} City are you from?

im from the downtown area
post #486 of 3318 Old 07-12-2006, 05:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Is there any update on when WTAJ will begin offering HD?
I'm also interested in if/when WPSU plans to fire up their on-channel translator in the Johnstown area. I am getting just a hint of a signal from the main tx in Clearfield, but not enough to resolve (planning a mission to the roof this weekend to check connectors and such on the antenna system).
I have access to ABB HD, but don't plan to sign up until they add some additional content, so my HD fix must be fed OTA. Here in Brownstown (a suburb of Johnstown) I can receive DT channels 24, 29, 32, 34, and 46. Channels 15 and 30 elude me, as do all the Pittsburgh DTs (which was a bit of a crap shoot from the beginning)

Nancy Smith at WTAJ tells me in an email that the pending sale of WTAJ has, indeed, delayed indefinately the addition of HD service, to quote her, "The news is not good. We were planning to have our HD in place before football season & definitely before the Super Bowl, but everything is on hold due to the proposed sale of the station. The only thing I can tell you right now is to keep in touch with me.

As Lloyd Dobbins of the late and lamented NBC News Overnight would say, "And so it goes."

ÂOne of the few good things about modern times: If you die horribly on television, you will not have died in vain. You will have entertained us.Â
- Kurt Vonnegut
-0-
post #487 of 3318 Old 07-12-2006, 07:42 PM

Quote:

As Lloyd Dobbins of the late and lamented NBC News Overnight would say, "And so it goes."

Sigh.
post #488 of 3318 Old 07-13-2006, 07:22 AM
Advanced Member

Wow, this is lame. Thanks for the update though.
post #489 of 3318 Old 07-18-2006, 06:36 PM

how is the weather up in state college? A lot of thunderstorms interfering with satellite? Stable power? Will I need to pick up a serious surge protector or are things generally mild?
post #490 of 3318 Old 07-19-2006, 06:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by psincubus View Post

how is the weather up in state college? A lot of thunderstorms interfering with satellite? Stable power? Will I need to pick up a serious surge protector or are things generally mild?

Very few electrical storms during the 4.5 years I have been living here. I just invested in a Belkin PureAV HT battery backup unit (model# AP30800-10) though, because my apartment seems to experience a brownout about twice a month. I heard sustained brownouts can do more damage than surges so I went ahead and got some protection.
I have cable so I can't comment on satellite interference.
post #491 of 3318 Old 07-19-2006, 07:40 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I would estimate you'll see between 5 and 15 minutes of outage due to heavy rain/snow in State College in any given year.

Many many years ago when I had Dish it only went out during the heaviest of thunderstorms.

Usually you'll lose signal then in about 3-5 minutes the heavens open up over you and then your signal comes back up.

As to surge and lightning protection, regardless of how intense or often we might have storms I highly recommend planning as if we lived in Florida. In the unlikely event there is an event that could harm your equipment you will be well prepared. If you're going to spend $3000 on a nice entertainment system why not spend the extra $100-$200 and get proper power and lightning protection?
post #492 of 3318 Old 07-20-2006, 04:20 PM

Why is it that Dish and Directv can't carry local high definition channels? Why do you need to use an OTA antenna to get these channels? Will they ever be able to carry these? It kind of sucks moving an antenna around everytime you want to watch the channel in high def.
post #493 of 3318 Old 07-20-2006, 06:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheels4025 View Post

Why is it that Dish and Directv can't carry local high definition channels? Why do you need to use an OTA antenna to get these channels? Will they ever be able to carry these? It kind of sucks moving an antenna around everytime you want to watch the channel in high def.

They can, its just a matter of bandwidth and satellite capacity, both of which are coming along. That and using a more efficient codec to encode the video, namely MPEG4 in DirecTV's case.

DirecTV is slowly rolling out locals in HD using the Spaceway Ka-band satellites. They have very configurable spot-beams and a ton of capacity. Since they are not all launched yet DirecTV is only rolling out HD in markets where they can make money.

I believe the plan is to have all locals in HD sometime in 2007, well, to match whatever DMAs they have locals for now.
post #494 of 3318 Old 07-21-2006, 05:30 AM

Thanks Slykens. Appreciate the info. I believe more people would switch to Directv or Dish if they knew all the local hd channels carried by the local cable company would be carried by them. They would be smart to do this.
post #495 of 3318 Old 07-21-2006, 07:33 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheels4025 View Post

Thanks Slykens. Appreciate the info. I believe more people would switch to Directv or Dish if they knew all the local hd channels carried by the local cable company would be carried by them. They would be smart to do this.

Not neccessarily. I had DirecTV for a year and left due to misrepresentation on their part together with poor business practices. I now have more channels in HD at better quality from Adelphia, including the locals available in HD today. I believe I am actually ahead on the cost issue as well.

Not to rehash the many battles being fought on other parts of the board, but in my opinion, the quality of the picture from Adelphia far exceeds that of DirecTV as it is not being bit-starved. Because I have a native 720p set the down-rezzing doesn't really affect me, however, the low bit-rate is obvious when compared to "full" bit-rate sources.

Not to cheerlead for Adelphia, but it is my impression that Adelphia doesn't do any rate shaping or down-rezzing to HD streams. Since the 750 MHz upgrade the analogs have looked spectacular as well.

Now all we need is for Adelphia to not rest on their accomplishments and add more HD programming, but I doubt we'll see that until the Comcast takeover.
post #496 of 3318 Old 07-21-2006, 08:47 AM

Slykens or anybody else:
I was in a local tavern last evening where they are converting from AtlanticBB cable to DirecTV. Talked to the owner and he has two HD capable sets, but was told that DirecTV can not provide HD to businesses yet. Ever heard of such a thing? Sorry for the off-topic response

Fred
post #497 of 3318 Old 07-21-2006, 08:25 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhschellenberg View Post

Slykens or anybody else:
I was in a local tavern last evening where they are converting from AtlanticBB cable to DirecTV. Talked to the owner and he has two HD capable sets, but was told that DirecTV can not provide HD to businesses yet. Ever heard of such a thing? Sorry for the off-topic response

Perhaps he meant that DirecTV can't provide locals in HD to commercial establishments as I don't think DNS is available to them and our locals aren't available yet.

I am 99% sure "cable" HD channels are available to commercial accounts including Sunday Ticket in HD.
post #498 of 3318 Old 07-21-2006, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slykens View Post

Not neccessarily. I had DirecTV for a year and left due to misrepresentation on their part together with poor business practices. I now have more channels in HD at better quality from Adelphia, including the locals available in HD today. I believe I am actually ahead on the cost issue as well.

Not to rehash the many battles being fought on other parts of the board, but in my opinion, the quality of the picture from Adelphia far exceeds that of DirecTV as it is not being bit-starved. Because I have a native 720p set the down-rezzing doesn't really affect me, however, the low bit-rate is obvious when compared to "full" bit-rate sources.

Not to cheerlead for Adelphia, but it is my impression that Adelphia doesn't do any rate shaping or down-rezzing to HD streams. Since the 750 MHz upgrade the analogs have looked spectacular as well.

Now all we need is for Adelphia to not rest on their accomplishments and add more HD programming, but I doubt we'll see that until the Comcast takeover.

It seems logical to assume that the Comcast takeover will be a net positive for the local cable system. However, it doesn't change the issues with FOX in HD and the fact that the CBS affilliate isn't doing HD at all. Also, it doesn't change the fact that it's still a cable monopoly and has the usual monopoly mentality.

One other thing to consider about DTV is that they they've announced they're moving away from TiVO as their DVR platform.. All sorts of wild speculation about the new platform has been happening for nearly 2 years, with no actual products to show for it. Meanwhile, Comcast is allegedly testing the Cablecard version of the HD Tivo.

If it wasn't for the out of market sports, I'd probably switch back when the comcast HD TiVO was available in this area. (other than psu and the pens, the rest of my favorite teams are not from around here)

One nice thing about DTV's crappy customer service is that they know it sucks, and if you make the proper noises, they will occasionally comp you services and equipment.
post #499 of 3318 Old 07-22-2006, 05:10 AM

Quote:

Perhaps he meant that DirecTV can't provide locals in HD to commercial establishments as I don't think DNS is available to them and our locals aren't available yet.

I am 99% sure "cable" HD channels are available to commercial accounts including Sunday Ticket in HD.

Thanks for the info Slykens, I'll bet that's what he was talking about -locals in HD. I will definitely check for certain because there's a new bar in Windber that's also putting in DirecTV.

On a somewhat related note and maybe this is old news (at least the first court decision), but it looks like E* is going to be forced to shut down all DNS service.

http://www.dbsforums.com/vbulletin/s...ad.php?t=67386

http://broadcastingcable.com/article...&referral=SUPP

Fred
post #500 of 3318 Old 07-25-2006, 01:21 PM

So which HD channels is it possible to receive OTA in state college?

In general, which direction would I need to point the antenna in?
post #501 of 3318 Old 07-25-2006, 01:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I can pick up WPSU-DT and WATM-DT in State College. I can also pick up WTAJ-DT but it does not have HD. I point my Winegard Sharpshooter toward the southern sky from my 2nd floor (indoor) apartment balcony. I have a somewhat obstructed view (buildings and trees) but I can almost always tune them, although I sometimes have to adjust the antenna.
post #502 of 3318 Old 07-25-2006, 02:08 PM

Quote:

Nancy Smith at WTAJ tells me in an email that the pending sale of WTAJ has, indeed, delayed indefinately the addition of HD service, to quote her, "The news is not good. We were planning to have our HD in place before football season & definitely before the Super Bowl, but everything is on hold due to the proposed sale of the station. The only thing I can tell you right now is to keep in touch with me.

I think it's Kathy Smith. I've had my HD television for 6 years now, and began questioning WTAJ about that long ago as to when they, the local CBS affiliate, were going to begin broadcasting HD.

It's been one excuse after another for that long. It is pathetic that they are still not in HD. A couple of years ago she touted how they were broadcasting in "digital" to which I replied "who cares?" It is HD that people want, not digitally broadcasted SD.

At any rate there is finally enough other HD stuff available that I can keep my appetite satisfied, but as far as I'm concerned their "sale" can't happen soon enough. Clean house and get an owner that will finally bring their affiliate into the 21st century. It is 2006 after all.
post #503 of 3318 Old 07-25-2006, 04:46 PM

This has put me into curiously position on when or whenever will our cable provider (Atlantic Broadband) to add more of it's HD channel feed anytime soon.

Related to it's post season and football season games coming soon. Most of it's football games will be televised on NFL network, along with ESPN, NBC and CBS.

We currently have NFL network in SD format only (CH: 311), this bugs me the most and dont we all rather watching games in HD instead of SD feed. Recently to popular Cable provider giant added it's new agreement to add both NFL network SD and HD.

There's soo much more of new HD channels such as MHD and National Geography HD, but problem is our cable provider can't meet up it's fund to supply us, just because of the demographic and areas with not enough HD subscribers in certain areas as well so they choose to restrict HD channels at it's lowest priority.
Here's my idea for this matter for everyone who love HD and actually own HDTV is to force our provider and whoever has Atlantic Broadband as their provider. Please call them and demand for more of HD channels.

Contact information: Atlantic Broadband 1-888-536-9600

PS: We have all Local stations in HD, but one station CBS is actually KDKA from Pittsburgh. WTAJ-TV station Altoona, State College and Johnstown = Wall of SHAME!
post #504 of 3318 Old 07-25-2006, 06:38 PM

Quote:

All of the Altoona/Johnstown stations are at approximately 254 degrees except WPSU-DT.

WTAJ and WATM are tunable with a decent antenna and no amp.

You'll need a fairly large antenna and an amp to get WJAC(nbc).

It's highly unlikely you'll be able to get WWCP on channel 29 from the State College area.

In addition, some folks have reported on this forum that they can tune
WNEP (ABC from northeast PA) That would be more like 85.4 degrees.

Reception will depend on where you live. I can almost guarantee you'll need to put your antenna on the roof of your house, unless you live high up on one of the mountains (er, hills) in the area.
post #505 of 3318 Old 07-26-2006, 06:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve shisler View Post

I think it's Kathy Smith. I've had my HD television for 6 years now, and began questioning WTAJ about that long ago as to when they, the local CBS affiliate, were going to begin broadcasting HD.

It's been one excuse after another for that long. It is pathetic that they are still not in HD. A couple of years ago she touted how they were broadcasting in "digital" to which I replied "who cares?" It is HD that people want, not digitally broadcasted SD.

At any rate there is finally enough other HD stuff available that I can keep my appetite satisfied, but as far as I'm concerned their "sale" can't happen soon enough. Clean house and get an owner that will finally bring their affiliate into the 21st century. It is 2006 after all.

My bad, you're right, it is Kathy. And you're right, it is pathetic. The problem is the old chicken and egg thing: there are relatively few of us HD viewers (but the number is beginning to rapidly grow) and TV stations are now frequently owned by investors rather than broadcasters, (and as a result often highly leveraged) - so capital improvements such as HD transmission gear gets "back burnered".
Unfortunately, it's the price we early adopters pay.

- Kurt Vonnegut
-0-
post #506 of 3318 Old 07-26-2006, 06:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by d0uble2d View Post

This has put me into curiously position on when or whenever will our cable provider (Atlantic Broadband) to add more of it's HD channel feed anytime soon.

Related to it's post season and football season games coming soon. Most of it's football games will be televised on NFL network, along with ESPN, NBC and CBS.

We currently have NFL network in SD format only (CH: 311), this bugs me the most and dont we all rather watching games in HD instead of SD feed. Recently to popular Cable provider giant added it's new agreement to add both NFL network SD and HD.

There's soo much more of new HD channels such as MHD and National Geography HD, but problem is our cable provider can't meet up it's fund to supply us, just because of the demographic and areas with not enough HD subscribers in certain areas as well so they choose to restrict HD channels at it's lowest priority.
Here's my idea for this matter for everyone who love HD and actually own HDTV is to force our provider and whoever has Atlantic Broadband as their provider. Please call them and demand for more of HD channels.

Contact information: Atlantic Broadband 1-888-536-9600

PS: We have all Local stations in HD, but one station CBS is actually KDKA from Pittsburgh. WTAJ-TV station Altoona, State College and Johnstown = Wall of SHAME!

Atlantic Broadband could and should be doing more to provide additional HD programming. Your advice to call and request more HD does help, but it does take time to demonstrate a large enough demand. Meanwhile, I'll continue to fiddle with my rooftop antenna for my HD fix.

- Kurt Vonnegut
-0-
post #507 of 3318 Old 07-27-2006, 11:48 AM
Advanced Member

WTAJ just annouced they were sold to Nexstar.
post #508 of 3318 Old 07-27-2006, 02:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtirak View Post

WTAJ just annouced they were sold the Nexstar.

I don't know if that is a good or a bad thing.

The upside is we will likely get HD quicker, the downside is I don't know if it will be on cable.

I can't remember all the Nexstar complaints but I'm going to be searching soon.
post #509 of 3318 Old 07-27-2006, 08:58 PM

Quote:

I don't know if that is a good or a bad thing.

The upside is we will likely get HD quicker, the downside is I don't know if it will be on cable.

I can't remember all the Nexstar complaints but I'm going to be searching soon.

Oh, goody.

Any company that elicits comments on the forums like "You're lucky they're broadcasting in color" doesn't give me the warm fuzzys.

Nexstar has been reported on the forums for trying to extract high per-subscriber charges for their retransmission agreements. There have been reports about issues in various markets where networks were taken off the cable system because the cable provider refused to consent to the per-sub charges. If anything, the fact that Comcast is involved may mitigate that, since Comcast is an 800lb gorilla compared to nexstar.

On the plus side, the station(s) they own in Scranton/WB are broadcasting in HD, so maybe it's not all bad..
post #510 of 3318 Old 07-27-2006, 10:27 PM

How odd is that i wrote about WTAJ TV the other day and all of suddenly WTAJ-TV was sold to Nexstar.. Thats surpising.. Here's Article from Nexstar.tv

IRVING, Texas, 7/26/2006 - Nexstar Broadcasting Group, Inc.

Nexstar Broadcasting Enters Into Definitive Agreement To Acquire WTAJ-TV In Altoona, Pa

Irving, Texas (July 26, 2006) - Nexstar Broadcasting Group, Inc (Nasdaq: NXST) announced today that it entered into a definitive agreement to acquire the assets of WTAJ-TV, the CBS affiliate serving the Johnstown/Altoona, Pennsylvania market for $56 million in cash from Television Station Group Holdings, LLC. The acquisition complements the Company's current Pennsylvania television station operations located in Wilkes Barre/Scranton and Erie. As part of the purchase consideration, Nexstar will also acquire the license and certain assets and contracts of WLYH-TV, in Lancaster PA which is operated by a third party under a grandfathered' Time Brokerage Agreement that extends until 2015.

Commenting on the acquisition, Nexstar Broadcasting Group President and CEO, Perry A. Sook said, The acquisition of WTAJ-TV reflects our focus on expanding Nexstar's portfolio with stations that have leading audience and revenue shares and quality, highly rated local news programming. The acquisition is also consistent with our clustering strategy whereby we seek to operate multiple stations in concentrated geographic regions.

WLYH-TV is the UPN affiliate serving the Harrisburg/Lancaster/Lebanon/York, Pennsylvania market and is slated to become a CW affiliate this fall.

Mr. Sook added, Under Nexstar's stewardship WTAJ-TV will realize additional retransmission revenues as well as synergistic operating improvements, and on a pro-forma basis the acquisition is immediately accretive to the company.

Nexstar intends to finance the acquisition through borrowings under its senior credit facility. The transaction, which is subject to FCC approval, will not materially impact the company's leverage ratios and is expected to close in the fourth quarter of 2006.

Including pending acquisitions, Nexstar Broadcasting Group currently owns, operates, programs or provides sales and other services to 49 television stations in 29 markets in the states of Illinois, Indiana, Maryland, Missouri, Montana, Texas, Pennsylvania, Louisiana, Arkansas, Alabama and New York. Nexstar's television station group includes affiliates of NBC, CBS, ABC, FOX and UPN, and reaches approximately 8.0% of all U.S. television households.

Forward-Looking Statements
Statements in this news release which are not purely historical facts, including statements about forecasted financial projections (such as changes in net revenue) or other statements about anticipations, beliefs, expectations, hopes, intentions or strategies in the future, may be forward-looking statements within the meaning of Section 27A of the Securities Act of 1933, as amended and Section 21E of the Securities Exchange Act of 1934, as amended. Such forward-looking statements involve risks and uncertainties, and are subject to change based on various
important factors, including the impact of changes in national and regional economies, our ability to service and refinance our outstanding debt, successful integration of acquired television stations (including achievement of synergies and cost reductions), pricing fluctuations in local and national advertising, future regulatory actions and conditions in the television stations` operating areas, competition from others in the broadcast television markets served by the Company, volatility in programming costs, the effects of governmental regulation of broadcasting, industry consolidation, technological developments and major world news events. Unless required by law, we undertake no obligation to update or revise any forward-looking statements, whether as a result of new information, future events or otherwise. In light of these risks, uncertainties and assumptions, the forward-looking events discussed in this news release might not occur. You should not place undue reliance on these forward-looking statements, which speak only as of the date of this release. For more details on factors that could affect these expectations, please see our filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission, including our most recent Annual Report on Form 10-K.

Matt Devine
Chief Financial Officer
Nexstar Broadcasting Group, Inc.
972/373-8800

Joseph Jaffoni, Ratula Roy
Jaffoni & Collins Incorporated
212/835-8500 or nxst@jcir.com
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page