post #511 of 3318 Old 07-28-2006, 05:50 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtirak View Post

WTAJ just annouced they were sold to Nexstar.

At least it removes one excuse from the table.
Let's hope for the best - a rapid installation of HD equipment at "the Dime".

ÂOne of the few good things about modern times: If you die horribly on television, you will not have died in vain. You will have entertained us.Â
- Kurt Vonnegut
-0-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #512 of 3318 Old 07-28-2006, 08:19 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by d0uble2d View Post

Mr. Sook added, Under Nexstar's stewardship WTAJ-TV will realize additional retransmission revenues as well as synergistic operating improvements, and on a pro-forma basis the acquisition is immediately accretive to the company.

I ran this through my corporate speak translator and here's what I got out of it:

FARK YOU CABLE COMPANIES AND CONSUMERS! TIME TO PONY UP! WOOHOO! AND I HOPE YOU COUNTRY BUMPKINS LIKE OUR CANNED LOCAL(national) NEWS!

The first thing I thought of when reading this was Office Space.

"So, Peter, looks like you've been missing a lot of work lately."

"I wouldn't say I've been missing it, Bob."

Is This Good for the COMPANY?

And to finish up the juevinile humor hour, THAT SOOKS MR. SOOK!

I shouldn't be so hostile to this selection as we haven't seen what they're going to do here but based on their MO it doesn't look good.
post #513 of 3318 Old 07-28-2006, 11:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slykens View Post

I ran this through my corporate speak translator and here's what I got out of it:

FARK YOU CABLE COMPANIES AND CONSUMERS! TIME TO PONY UP! WOOHOO! AND I HOPE YOU COUNTRY BUMPKINS LIKE OUR CANNED LOCAL(national) NEWS!

I shouldn't be so hostile to this selection as we haven't seen what they're going to do here but based on their MO it doesn't look good.

LOL
post #514 of 3318 Old 07-31-2006, 12:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slykens View Post

A spot check of other Nexstar stations does nothing to build encouragement.
NBC25 in Hagerstown, MD appears to be operating at low power on an extended construction permit and only in SD.
WBRE in Wilkes-Barre, PA is at full power, and does seem to pass through at least some HD.
WJET in Erie (along with the entire Erie television market, it seems) makes WTAJ look downright progressive.

It does make the blood boil, but bottom line, in general, television broadcasters do not much care about OTA viewers, and until analog shutdown occurs, we early adopters of digital remain at the bottom of the "to be concerned about" list.

Other than that, Happy Monday to all!

ÂOne of the few good things about modern times: If you die horribly on television, you will not have died in vain. You will have entertained us.Â
- Kurt Vonnegut
-0-
post #515 of 3318 Old 07-31-2006, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA_MainyYak View Post

WBRE in Wilkes-Barre, PA is at full power, and does seem to pass through at least some HD.

It does make the blood boil, but bottom line, in general, television broadcasters do not much care about OTA viewers, and until analog shutdown occurs, we early adopters of digital remain at the bottom of the "to be concerned about" list.

An interesting oddity with WBRE is that they(nexstar) also operate WYOU(CBS) for "Mision Broadcasting", whoever that is.. They seem to share news crews, satellite trucks, etc.. The transmission facility is also shared, with WYOU and WBRE antennae on the same structure. They also appear to have the same engineer.
post #516 of 3318 Old 08-01-2006, 12:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyiota View Post

An interesting oddity with WBRE is that they(nexstar) also operate WYOU(CBS) for "Mision Broadcasting", whoever that is.. They seem to share news crews, satellite trucks, etc.. The transmission facility is also shared, with WYOU and WBRE antennae on the same structure. They also appear to have the same engineer.

Expect to see more of this type of thing happening -- in Pittsburgh you have KDKA providing news and operational support to WCWP (it began as a service agreement, now they are co-owned) as well as WPXI providing news to WPGH.

In our market, we have something similar with WWCP and WATM (actually they were once owned by the same company).

If the Johnstown-Altoona-State College market drops below 100 in size (or if they split the market as has been suggested) - there will be even greater pressure on the stations to trim costs even more, since there will be fewer national advertising dollars coming in, and you might see even more significant consolidation efforts.

- Kurt Vonnegut
-0-
post #517 of 3318 Old 08-03-2006, 06:29 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I recently sent an email to a programming address found on thier web site. I took some ideas rom you guys so I hope you don't mind. With the Nexstar takeover, I'm sure they are going to be a little sensitive with PR. This might be the time to strike with a bombardment of e-mails since this is when they will be paying attention.

To whom it may concern,

I have been an avid HD subscriber for the past few years and have watched other stations in this area convert to allow HD in this market. Most of the programming I would like to watch is on CBS but it disappoints me that WTAJ has been behind the curve on this one. With the recent acquisition from Nexstar I am hoping that this particular CBS affiliate will join everyone else in the 21st Century. Unfortunately I have chosen not to wait any longer for your station to convert as football season approaches. I have decided to switch to Direct TV with out the local channels and subscribe to their NFL football ticket. You may have lost me as a customer but I am hoping that you will convert for the sake of everyone else.

On a final note, rumors have been flying around that the reason WTAJ has chosen to make HD low on it's priority list is from the lack of HD subscribers. Of course this may follow the chicken and the egg concept. But nevertheless, this is an ignorant way of thinking.

"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers. "
- IBM Chairman Thomas Watson, 1943

Anthony W
State College, PA
post #518 of 3318 Old 08-03-2006, 06:44 AM

I've searched through this thread trying to find info about getting waivers for HD channels. Who do I contact about receiving a waiver? Do I contact the local stations, or do I contact my satellite provider?

I have E* and would like to get the NY-HD channels. Any chance of this happening?
post #519 of 3318 Old 08-03-2006, 09:47 AM

To others using atlantic broadband: Have you been experiencing a lot of video problems and audio dropouts recently? Several programs I've recorded recently in HD have had pretty severe digital signal breakup and audio dropouts. It's been almost unbearable in a couple of "Criminal Minds" episodes I recorded and watched. It occurs with programs I'm watching "live", as well. I put live in quotes, because you're really watching a digital recording when using the DVR, even when watching something live. It happens on the 700+ HD channels, but I can't recall it happening when I'm watching SD channels.

I'm trying to figure out if the problem is in my DVR or in the signal coming into the house. I am thinking about complaining to ABB and asking for a new cable box/DVR, but I don't want to bother if the problem is in the signal and not in my DVR. If I do get a new box, I want to do it before the new TV season starts in Sept.
post #520 of 3318 Old 08-03-2006, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanbrew View Post

To others using atlantic broadband: Have you been experiencing a lot of video problems and audio dropouts recently? Several programs I've recorded recently in HD have had pretty severe digital signal breakup and audio dropouts. It's been almost unbearable in a couple of "Criminal Minds" episodes I recorded and watched. It occurs with programs I'm watching "live", as well. I put live in quotes, because you're really watching a digital recording when using the DVR, even when watching something live. It happens on the 700+ HD channels, but I can't recall it happening when I'm watching SD channels.

I'm trying to figure out if the problem is in my DVR or in the signal coming into the house. I am thinking about complaining to ABB and asking for a new cable box/DVR, but I don't want to bother if the problem is in the signal and not in my DVR. If I do get a new box, I want to do it before the new TV season starts in Sept.

I'm a DirecTV customer and I have noticed much more of that of which you speak recently! Especially on CBS and especially with the 5.1 audio.

Fred
post #521 of 3318 Old 08-03-2006, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psincubus View Post

I've searched through this thread trying to find info about getting waivers for HD channels. Who do I contact about receiving a waiver? Do I contact the local stations, or do I contact my satellite provider?

I have E* and would like to get the NY-HD channels. Any chance of this happening?

It can happen both ways.

Kathy Smith at WTAJ has been friendly to people who call or email her and used to grant waviers for CBS-HD from NY. I do not know what effect the Nexstar purchase will have on her charity.

I haven't heard of anyone else contacting the local affiliate first to get a wavier.

The other way would be to contact DTV or E* and have them "request HD waviers" for you. I haven't had E* in 3 years, but last I knew, they only offered CBS in HD as a Distant Network channel.

DirecTV will submit the wavier requests for you if you call and ask for distant network authorizations. However, in my experience, both WJAC(NBC) and WATM(ABC) routinely deny such requests. WWCP (FOX) seems to have granted waviers for all the people I know who have asked, which seems somewhat weird, since WWCP=WATM in this market. As to CBS, see above..
post #522 of 3318 Old 08-04-2006, 04:49 AM

Quote:

DirecTV will submit the wavier requests for you if you call and ask for distant network authorizations. However, in my experience, both WJAC(NBC) and WATM(ABC) routinely deny such requests. WWCP (FOX) seems to have granted waviers for all the people I know who have asked, which seems somewhat weird, since WWCP=WATM in this market. As to CBS, see above..

Actually, I think WWCP/WATM will grant a waiver for "either" one , but not both. In Johnstown, I was able to get a waiver for WATM, but not WWCP. I think this is because at some point in time(this century, perhaps) they plan on providing WWCP-HD OTA to me, but have no plans for WATM.
I think the opposite is true for Altoona/State College customers.

Fred
post #523 of 3318 Old 08-05-2006, 07:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanbrew View Post

To others using atlantic broadband: Have you been experiencing a lot of video problems and audio dropouts recently? Several programs I've recorded recently in HD have had pretty severe digital signal breakup and audio dropouts. ... If I do get a new box, I want to do it before the new TV season starts in Sept.

I've not taken the plunge for ABB HD service due to the lack of programming offered. On that note, a service rep told me yesterday they continue negotiations with several carriers (notably NFL Network and Fox Sports Pittsburgh), but that there's nothing to report at this time. They have plenty of bandwidth and plan to add programming as contracts are signed.

She also mentioned that WTAJ has informed ABB that they will not begin HD service any sooner than the end of this year, if then (although ABB does provide KDKA's HD feed out of Pittsburgh).

- Kurt Vonnegut
-0-
post #524 of 3318 Old 08-06-2006, 12:14 AM

While dealing with a case of insomnia, I stumbled across this at the FCC's web site.

http://www.fcc.gov/fcc-bin/tvq?state...slon2=7&size=9

There are 3 "New" applications for low power digital stations in State College. Plus, one application to convert an existing station.

WPXI, the parent of WJAC has an application for LD on channel 42.
"Channel Communications" has a app for LD on channel 27..
"Pathway Radio" has an app for LD on channel 12.

I'm not sure who "Pathway Radio" or Channel Communications are..

and

WNEP has an app in to convert W36 and W39 to -LD as well.

It's too bad there's not even an app. in from Peak Media to get another channel or flash convert the existing translator to -DT.
Guess FOX-HD OTA in State College is a ways away yet..
post #525 of 3318 Old 08-06-2006, 02:23 PM

What is the quality of Adelphia's HD channels? Are they bad compressed (MPEG2 encoding) or are they pretty clear?

Right now I am trying to decide between Adelphia and Dish network (although I may not be able to get dish because I am on the 3rd floor of an apartment building... wtf?)
post #526 of 3318 Old 08-06-2006, 05:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

What is the quality of Adelphia's HD channels? Are they bad compressed (MPEG2 encoding) or are they pretty clear?

As far as I can tell Adelphia does not recompress the MPEG2 stream. If anything I imagine they might do null stripping from the ATSC signal for OTAs but other than that they seem to pass it through as they get it.
post #527 of 3318 Old 08-06-2006, 06:13 PM

So all in all, it looks pretty good?
post #528 of 3318 Old 08-06-2006, 06:21 PM - Thread Starter

Yes, I think so. Better than DirecTV on my set as far as less blocking. The HD-lite resolution issues with DirecTV don't directly affect me as my TV is 720p native, at least I don't see a detail difference so the scaler must do an equal job of bringing true 1080i down and 1440x1080i down.

Also, at the prompting of tinyiota I have updated the summary post at the top of the topic. If I have missed anything or anyone in the Contributor section or there is incorrect information please PM me.
post #529 of 3318 Old 08-06-2006, 06:25 PM

I am new to this so sorry for me asking. I currently have Directv with HD. Are you saying I can submit a request to Directv to get a waiver to carry hd through the satelitle for channels such as CBS, NBC, FOX, etc? The HD channels will then come from the HD satelittle and not OTA? Thanks guys for any info.
post #530 of 3318 Old 08-07-2006, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheels4025 View Post

I am new to this so sorry for me asking. I currently have Directv with HD. Are you saying I can submit a request to Directv to get a waiver to carry hd through the satelitle for channels such as CBS, NBC, FOX, etc? The HD channels will then come from the HD satelittle and not OTA? Thanks guys for any info.

No, the waivers are for customers who can't get a strong enough signal OTA. If you go to the directv.com website, there is a page where you can enter your ZIP code and find out what, if any, waivers you are eligible for.

Fred
post #531 of 3318 Old 08-07-2006, 12:10 PM

With adelphia HD and DVR combo, which STB do you get?
post #532 of 3318 Old 08-07-2006, 06:08 PM

Quote:

Yes.

Remember that in this area most are already able to tune ABC and NBC in HD OTA, so you're only likely to get waviers for FOX and CBS.
post #533 of 3318 Old 08-08-2006, 05:16 AM

I would like to watch the Steeler games in HD. Most games are televised on CBS. Is this possible to get without getting ABB? Thanks.
post #534 of 3318 Old 08-08-2006, 06:45 AM

Quote:

I would like to watch the Steeler games in HD. Most games are televised on CBS. Is this possible to get without getting ABB? Thanks.

That's a different kettle of fish. The short answer is I doubt it. With DTV and Sunday Ticket, the Steeler games will be blacked out on ST because of your location in the Steeler's market, so you won't get the games that way.

If you get a DNS HD wavier from D*, they're going to deliver CBS-HD from New York, which will be showing all the Jets games, since that's the market the station is in, so you're not likely to see very many Steeler games there, either.

Who says cable companies aren't monopolies?
post #535 of 3318 Old 08-08-2006, 06:58 AM

You're right about that and they charge what they want. I caned ABB for poor customer service. So far I am happy with Directv, I just wish I could have all the local channels in hd. I guess I will have to deal with it for now.
post #536 of 3318 Old 08-08-2006, 06:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

You're right about that and they charge what they want. I caned ABB for poor customer service. So far I am happy with Directv, I just wish I could have all the local channels in hd. I guess I will have to deal with it for now.

Call ABB and find out if KDKA-DT is offered on the basic tier of service. (Or is it unencrypted and available with "lifeline" service)

You may be able to get access to it with a built-in QAM tuner in your TV, if so equipped, for $15/mo or so. I know I'd pay $75 to more or less guaruntee having the Steelers in HD this fall. As it is I am depending on WCBS-DT or a more elaborate contraption. I think I'll end up seeing about 50% of the games in HD.
post #537 of 3318 Old 08-08-2006, 06:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

With adelphia HD and DVR combo, which STB do you get?

I've got the Motorola DCT6412, a dual tuner HD capable box. I have the Phase III variant specifically which has only an HDMI port but Adelphia provided an HDMI->DVI cable for me.
post #538 of 3318 Old 08-08-2006, 06:22 PM

Quote:

Yes.

Remember that in this area most are already able to tune ABC and NBC in HD OTA, so you're only likely to get waviers for FOX and CBS.

I am a Directv customer in the State College area and was able to get waivers for FOX and NBC, but not CBS. I have requested a waiver for CBS three times since March with no luck. I have read on this forum that Kathy Smith at WTAJ has been helpful, but I do not know how to contact her directly.

I have an indoor antenna, and I consistently pick up all the OTAs except WJAC. Hopefully they'll add a repeater in the vicinity.
post #539 of 3318 Old 08-08-2006, 06:32 PM

Great, I set up an appointment with Adelphia to come set up my cable.

I am a little worried because the apartment woman said that I may not be able to get it since all the wiring was done by D&E communications.

I would assume that all Adelphia would need to do is bring a cable from the street to wherever my cable line is and switch out D&E. Does anyone have any experience with something like this?

For reference, I am living in the Nittany Garden Apartments on Waupelani.

Thanks! Jim
post #540 of 3318 Old 08-08-2006, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcbird View Post

I am a Directv customer in the State College area and was able to get waivers for FOX and NBC, but not CBS. I have requested a waiver for CBS three times since March with no luck. I have read on this forum that Kathy Smith at WTAJ has been helpful, but I do not know how to contact her directly.

I have an indoor antenna, and I consistently pick up all the OTAs except WJAC. Hopefully they'll add a repeater in the vicinity.

People say that Kathy wants you to contact her first.. If you go to the web site here:

http://www.wtajtv.com/contact.html

And click on the link for "programming department", it'll get you her email address. She's been very nice to everyone I know of who have asked for waviers.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page