Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 3318 Old 01-29-2005, 06:19 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

Originally posted by slykens
But tonight I'll run a test on it and see what I get.

Looks like it is still 480i. I didn't check during an HD from network program but if they are passing 720p I figured they would be upconverting 480i to 720p and not changing formats on the fly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 3318 Old 01-29-2005, 04:47 PM

Quote:

Looks like it is still 480i. I didn't check during an HD from network program but if they are passing 720p I figured they would be upconverting 480i to 720p and not changing formats on the fly.

Hmm.. I've been underwhelmed by ABC's HD content so far on my DTV box.

I heard the rumor from a guy I work with.. Guess It's time to go out and put up the antenna and amp..
post #33 of 3318 Old 01-30-2005, 01:55 PM

An update.. From my location in Lemont, using a yagi (15-2160) and amp (15-2507) I bought at Radio Shack (hey, they were cheap, and returnable if it didn't work..) connected to my D* HD-Tivo, I get a solid 88% signal on WPSX and 60% or so on TAJ (cbs) and atm (abc).

I can see NBC's signal in the antenna signal monitor, but I think I have the multipath problem as well, since the signal strength is all over the map and the tuner won't lock on the channel.

Nothing at all from FOX, of course.. And the religious channel from Altoona is pretty solid, too..

Can't tell if ABC is passing HD.. The PGA match that's on now is SD, so no way to tell until "housewives" tonight..

Since CBS was my main concern, I think I'll be able to survive until they up their Xmit power and go HD..
post #34 of 3318 Old 02-09-2005, 06:47 AM

While watching the superbowl, I noticed several ads stating wwcp(FOX) was broadcasting the game in HD.

This was confirmed by wwcp's engineer.

He stated that wwcp was providing the signal to Adelphia. However, he aslo stated that he did not think State College was able to get the signal.

Did anyone in Johnstown/Altoona/State College get the superbowl in HD from Adelphia?

He also stated that wwcp would be at full power by July.......a good sign, but I am not still not expecting to recieve the signal OTA in State College.
post #35 of 3318 Old 02-10-2005, 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by lionsroar
While watching the superbowl, I noticed several ads stating wwcp(FOX) was broadcasting the game in HD.

This was confirmed by wwcp's engineer.

He stated that wwcp was providing the signal to Adelphia. However, he aslo stated that he did not think State College was able to get the signal.

Did anyone in Johnstown/Altoona/State College get the superbowl in HD from Adelphia?

He also stated that wwcp would be at full power by July.......a good sign, but I am not still not expecting to recieve the signal OTA in State College.

I sent them an email the other day asking specifically about OTA coverage in State College for both ATM and FOX, and the reply was "You will get our OTA signal in July." Kinda coy, dunno how they'll do it from 80 miles away, but here's to hoping they'll come through.
post #36 of 3318 Old 02-11-2005, 01:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Originally posted by tinyiota
I sent them an email the other day asking specifically about OTA coverage in State College for both ATM and FOX, and the reply was "You will get our OTA signal in July." Kinda coy, dunno how they'll do it from 80 miles away, but here's to hoping they'll come through.

I can only assume they are thinking about trying a SFN like WPSX is running but I don't think they could have such a facility operating by July. Perhaps they mean that the channel will be available from Adelphia via Adelphia's receviing set up in Phillipsburg, where they currently receive WJAC-DT.
post #37 of 3318 Old 02-11-2005, 04:34 PM

I live in Penn Run, PA just east of Indiana. I receive FOX 8 (WWCP) from Johnstown off air by a 'silver sensor' indoor antenna. I also saw the ads that the game was being broadcast in HD but the signal I received during the game (from their digital broadcast) was a stretched SD signal, definitely not HD.

I seems odd that the station would be sending an HD signal to Adalphia cable but not to their customers watching their station off air.

Tom Conelly
post #38 of 3318 Old 02-13-2005, 06:49 PM

why does wwcp broadcast everything stretched? are they capable of hd yet?
post #39 of 3318 Old 02-15-2005, 09:50 AM

Quote:

I can only assume they are thinking about trying a SFN like WPSX is running but I don't think they could have such a facility operating by July. Perhaps they mean that the channel will be available from Adelphia via Adelphia's receiving set up in Phillipsburg, where they currently receive WJAC-DT.

It really sounded like a "go away kid, ya bother me" canned response, but I did explicitly say that I did not have cable and wanted to know about their OTA signal.

In my travels on the forums, I've seen other markets where one -DT station broadcasts 2 networks on different subchannels.. I wonder if it's possible they'll use WATM's transmitter location on Wopsy Mountain to broadcast an ATSC carrier with FOX on one subchannel and ABC on the other.. Since they own both stations, it's at least possible.. Plus, It's not like they have 3 spare channels of data and weather radar to broadcast..
post #40 of 3318 Old 02-15-2005, 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by traganoo
why does wwjc broadcast everything stretched? are they capable of hd yet?

Um, WWJC? Do you mean WJAC? If so, I can occasionally get WJAC's HD signal at my place in the State College area.. When NBC is running a show in HD, the WJAC-DT signal looks pretty darn good. They broadcast their SD stuff with black curtain bars . They also seem to have a translucent "WJAC-DT" screen bug in the upper left of the picture.

Based on my adventures with the yagi and amp I posed about earlier in the thread, WJAC and WPSX are the only 2 digital stations currently transmitting HD content on their digital transmitters. I can get both WATM (abc) and WTAJ (cbs) but their signals are only upconverted "standard def" from their analog transmitters. I can't get WWCP up here, so I don't have any direct experience with their signal.
post #41 of 3318 Old 02-15-2005, 06:17 PM

Sorry I meant wwcp (fox)....
post #42 of 3318 Old 03-18-2005, 06:19 PM

This is a bit off topic, but my dad lives in State College and has digital cable through Adelphia. It's one of the older system models he's had for a while now. He says he's tried calling Adelphia to order the college basketball packages, but they say it's not available in the area yet. He'd like to order the baseball package now and I was wondering if you guys in the State College/Johnstown region have been able to order the sports packages yet. Just wondering what you guys experiences have been with it. Thanks.
post #43 of 3318 Old 03-19-2005, 06:01 PM

For what it's worth, I don't have Adelphia, but Scuttlebut is that service is basically in stasis until the system is either sold or the court lets Adelphia spend money on upgrades. Everyone around here is waiting for the upgrade so they can have more HD channels and that seems to be on hold as well.
post #44 of 3318 Old 03-19-2005, 06:17 PM

Quote:

Since CBS was my main concern, I think I'll be able to survive until they up their Xmit power and go HD..

I had another email conversation with Kathy Smith the other day. She implied that they're going to comply with the FCC digital broadcast order, but that the costs for HD were prohibitive and she was not very optimistic at all that they would be doing HD in July. It sounded to me like they're thinking about just doing whatever the minimum is they have to do to comply with the FCC.

She implied that there isn't enough market demand to justify going HD, that they have to continue to run their standard signal to serve legacy customers and they have no commitment from any of the cable or satellite carriers to carry the HD signal. She also said she can't justify doing HD OTA when "so few people will even look for it".

She did offer me another wavier.. Too bad it takes 50 letters to random executives and government officials to get them to honor it now.

Sigh.. I guess we'll see what happens in July.

-JEff
post #45 of 3318 Old 03-20-2005, 08:44 AM - Thread Starter

I like Kathy a lot and was originally skeptical that they would be passing HD when she said they would.

The argument that it is cost prohibitive is plainly false. We're DMA 96, in DMAs 97-136, 34 of the 40 CBS stations pass HD. If so many stations in markets smaller than ours can do it why can't WTAJ?

WJAC, WWCP, and WPSX are passing HD in our market today, and there is a high likelihood that WATM will be passing HD this summer. That leaves only WTAJ as not passing HD.

These broadcasters keep cutting off their noses to spite their face. Without a motivation for consumers to move to digital, ie HD, they won't seek to upgrade and then unless the FCC makes cable/satellite count towards the 85% rule they don't get to turn off their analog transmitter any time soon.

So, instead of making the investment to make the new service compelling they're simply going to keep pumping out the same thing people can get from the old system. Then they're going to bitch about the cost of running two transmitters for the next five years and ask the FCC to short circuit the rules so they can turn off their analog transmitters.

While the law does not require HD, it makes sense in a competitive environment where you want to encourage your viewers to change to the new technology so you can stop paying for the old.
post #46 of 3318 Old 03-23-2005, 07:02 PM

Slykens,

You say that WWCP (FOX Johnstown) is 'passing HD in our market today'.

Is this a new development? I know WWCP broadcasts a digital signal but I thought it was still SD and that HD broadcasts were not going to start until later in the year?

I live in Indiana County and receive WWCP off air using an indoor antenna that connects to my HD TV through my DISH 811 receiver -- and it still looks like a SD signal to me.

Am I missing something?

Thanks,

Tom Conelly
post #47 of 3318 Old 03-25-2005, 03:33 AM

Hi All,

I am new to this forum and discussion groups in general. I live in State College, I have a Sony 50" Grand Wega LCD projection set ((KDF-50WE655) with an HD tuner. I have a radio shack UHF only antenna on my roof with a rotator. I do not have a pre-amp.

Up until the snows came 2 days ago I was able to get the religious station (46.2) solid out of Altoona and ABC 23 (ch 24.1, 24.3) would drop in and out. Since Tuesday I have lost both signals. Has anyone else experienced this? I still get the analog signals fine, but digital is gone for these.

PBS (ch 3.1 - 3.4) come in strong and solid (I can get these with a short piece of coax and no antenna the signal is so strong)

I cannot get CBS, FOX, or NBC digital with my current setup. I guess there is some magic date (July 1, 2005) in which the stations are supposed to go to full power. What is the significance of this date?

I have also pointed my antenna towards Scranton and can pick up their analog stations but nothing digitally. I know they are transmitting ditigally but are they operating at full power ? Is there any hope of picking up some of these digital signals in State College after July 1?

I figure that I would wait until July 1 to see what I can get with my present setup, before I go and invest in a pre-amp. I figure if I can get anything without an amp, and the stations operating at low power, then I am in pretty good shape. However, if I were to get an amp, what would be the groups suggestion.

Any help answering some of the questions above would be appreciated. Thanks.

-Jim
post #48 of 3318 Old 03-28-2005, 12:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Originally posted by tconelly
Is this a new development? I know WWCP broadcasts a digital signal but I thought it was still SD and that HD broadcasts were not going to start until later in the year?

They advertised during the Superbowl and several times since that they were broadcasting in HD.

WWCP is unique in that they are a FOX affiliate and a large part of the HD transmission equipment is being provided by big FOX, as far as I know they only need to provide a digital path to their ATSC transmitter and they can pass HD.

I do not have first hand experience with it but would believe that they would be crazy to advertise broadcasting HD and not do it.
post #49 of 3318 Old 03-29-2005, 03:13 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by winkydink

Up until the snows came 2 days ago I was able to get the religious station (46.2) solid out of Altoona and ABC 23 (ch 24.1, 24.3) would drop in and out. Since Tuesday I have lost both signals. Has anyone else experienced this? I still get the analog signals fine, but digital is gone for these.

Update: WKBS (Digital 46.2) has come back on the air and my reception of them is once again fine. WATM (Digital 24.1, 24.3) has not come back, or is operating at a lower power that I can no longer see them. Is anyone still picking them up and has there signal level decreased?

In addition if someone could answer the following from my original post I would appreciate it. (I am in State College, Orchard Park area)

1) Is July 1, 2005 a milestone date that digital broadcast must be up to full power. Is there a link or list of other DTV/HDTV milestone dates?

2) Has anyone recieved digital from the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton area (from State College). Is there any hope of recieving these signals after July 1.

3) My setup is a Radioshack UHF Yagi antenna with NO preamp/amp. I have a rotor. What type of pre-amp should I try to increase my signal strength?

Thanks for any help!

FYI - WKBS is broadcasting 480i, WATM was broadcasting at 480i and WPSX is broadcasting at 1080i.
post #50 of 3318 Old 03-29-2005, 09:07 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Update: WKBS (Digital 46.2) has come back on the air and my reception of them is once again fine. WATM (Digital 24.1, 24.3) has not come back, or is operating at a lower power that I can no longer see them. Is anyone still picking them up and has there signal level decreased?

In addition if someone could answer the following from my original post I would appreciate it. (I am in State College, Orchard Park area)

1) Is July 1, 2005 a milestone date that digital broadcast must be up to full power. Is there a link or list of other DTV/HDTV milestone dates?

2) Has anyone recieved digital from the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton area (from State College). Is there any hope of recieving these signals after July 1.

3) My setup is a Radioshack UHF Yagi antenna with NO preamp/amp. I have a rotor. What type of pre-amp should I try to increase my signal strength?

You're likely seeing favorable reception conditions when you can pick up WKBS and WATM. With no preamp on a RatShack Yagi I'm surprised you're even getting a taste of the signal at your receiver. As to your other questions:

1 - Yes. Last fall the FCC ordered that the Big 4 network affiliates in the Top 100 DMAs (we're #96) go to their full licensed power on or before July 1, 2005. I believe there is a full maximization order for July 1, 2006, but could be very wrong about that.

2 - It is unlikely we will be able to get anything in digital directly from Wilkes-Barre/Scranton. WNEP should convert their translators on Pine Grove Mountain to ATSC at some point but I don't know when. Even if you could receive any of those stations at any particular moment I don't think you would find the reception to be stable. Most DTV stations are UHF and UHF is typically limited to near-line-of-sight operation, or no more than about 80 miles in favorable conditions. We're around 110 miles from the transmitters up there.

3 - I have a Channel Master 7777 preamp, its one of the best SNR amps available.
post #51 of 3318 Old 04-04-2005, 08:13 PM

Quote:

2 - It is unlikely we will be able to get anything in digital directly from Wilkes-Barre/Scranton. WNEP should convert their translators on Pine Grove Mountain to ATSC at some point but I don't know when. Even if you could receive any of those stations at any particular moment I don't think you would find the reception to be stable. Most DTV stations are UHF and UHF is typically limited to near-line-of-sight operation, or no more than about 80 miles in favorable conditions. We're around 110 miles from the transmitters up there.

The transmitter site where most of the NE PA stations are is on Penobscot Knob just as 81 crests the ridge going north from Nuangola. I think it's around 100 Miles. FOX 56 is on the mountain near Hazleton and the I80/81 iInterchange.

According to documents on the FCC's web site that I read a couple months ago, digital channel assignments and conversions for repeaters and low power TV stations are basically not going to happen until after the major stations have converted and picked their single digital channel and converted..

http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_publi...C-251978A1.pdf

It will be interesting to see how long it takes for the lptv stations to transition
to digital and how many, if any actually do a flash cut sooner rather than later.
post #52 of 3318 Old 04-07-2005, 03:01 AM

Based upon suggestions in this and other forums I decided to purchase (and install) a pre-amp for my setup (Radio shack UHF Yagi with corner reflector). I purchased a Channel Master 7777 (figuring that if I wanted or needed to add a VHF antenna to my setup later I could also amplify that).

My signal did improve with regards to stations in Altoona, just not by what I had expected. WKBS (46.2) is now solid. WATM (24.1) comes in more often than not, but I still have dropouts. I was NOT able to pick up WTAJ (CBS) at 32.1. I also was not able to get NBC or FOX out of Johnstown, but I really did not expect to get them anyway.

My (pleasant) surprise came when I pointed my antenna toward Wilkes-Barre/Scranton. With some playing around, I was able to pick up WNEP-DT (ABC). They were sending out two (2) channels 16.1 and 16.2 ( I believe they are actually at 49 but are remapped to 16). 16.1 was the ABC feed in HD. They are sending out 720p 16:9. I was experiencing very few drop outs last night, and it seemed if I was interested in "LOST" I could have watched the entire show without any problems. The 16.2 feed is a local news feed, and last night they were showing minor league hockey at 480i standard resolution. I must have been experiencing one of those favorable reception periods that 'slykens' was referring to.

One other observation WPSX has discontinued their subfeeds 3.2, 3.3, 3.4 and is now only broadcasting 3.1 (15.1) at 1080i.

I have several questions for the forum.

1) Where can I find out what various stations output power is currently, and what their full power will be. Is this an FCC document (link please).

2) Are there any thoughts as to why I can pick up WATM, but not even see the signal for WTAJ (I do not have a meter, only the TV so I cannot see what strength of signal I am receiving).

3) Is there any info on how State College will get WJAC (NBC) or WWCP (Fox). Johnstown is far away and signals are weak. Will they convert over channels 7 and 59 respectively.

4) Is there a list of email that can be supplied so we may campaign to the local stations for over the air DTV and HDTV.

Thanks in advance to the forum for any info that can be provided.
post #53 of 3318 Old 04-08-2005, 02:43 AM

Quote:

My signal did improve with regards to stations in Altoona, just not by what I had expected. WKBS (46.2) is now solid. WATM (24.1) comes in more often than not, but I still have dropouts. I was NOT able to pick up WTAJ (CBS) at 32.1. I also was not able to get NBC or FOX out of Johnstown, but I really did not expect to get them anyway.

2) Are there any thoughts as to why I can pick up WATM, but not even see the signal for WTAJ (I do not have a meter, only the TV so I cannot see what strength of signal I am receiving).

I re-pointed my antenna and did another channel search with my Television and Presto! WTAJ-DT appeared. It registered as 10.2 ( 32.2 non translated ). In the past when I had done manual searches I was looking at 32.1 but there is no signal on that sub carrier. The signal was strong (stronger that WATM-DT 24.1). There were no dropouts and the picture looked sharp (even though it was only 480i).

My reception improves at night compared to the day. WNEP is still strong. (Yesterday 16.3 was showing the local doppler radar at 480i resolution, in addition to the other two feeds at 16.1 and 16.2).
There are some dropouts during the day, but it is solid at night. I am hoping that they are not operating at full power yet, so that I might see some improvement in the signal during the daytime. I am also hoping that at some point I might pick up the other WB/Scranton digital stations when they go to full power, but since most of the broadcast networks in that area will be in DT on VHF (and I only have a UHF antenna) I am not holding out a great deal of hope.

Quote:

1) Where can I find out what various stations output power is currently, and what their full power will be. Is this an FCC document (link please).

3) Is there any info on how State College will get WJAC (NBC) or WWCP (Fox). Johnstown is far away and signals are weak. Will they convert over channels 7 and 59 respectively.

4) Is there a list of email that can be supplied so we may campaign to the local stations for over the air DTV and HDTV.

I would still like some answers to the above questions, especially #1 the current output power of stations in Altoona/Johnstown and WB/Scranton.

Thanks and happy viewing.
post #54 of 3318 Old 04-08-2005, 04:26 AM

http://www.fcc.gov/fcc-bin/audio/tvq.html

Use this link and put in the station call sign. I think it will give you think info you are looking for with regard to question 1.
post #55 of 3318 Old 04-11-2005, 09:00 PM

Quote:

My (pleasant) surprise came when I pointed my antenna toward Wilkes-Barre/Scranton. With some playing around, I was able to pick up WNEP-DT (ABC). They were sending out two (2) channels 16.1 and 16.2 ( I believe they are actually at 49 but are remapped to 16). 16.1 was the ABC feed in HD. They are sending out 720p 16:9. I was experiencing very few drop outs last night, and it seemed if I was interested in "LOST" I could have watched the entire show without any problems. The 16.2 feed is a local news feed, and last night they were showing minor league hockey at 480i standard resolution. I must have been experiencing one of those favorable reception periods that 'slykens' was referring to.

One of their subchannels has their doppler radar on it, or at least they were planning to do that at one point. They're pretty high up, that might be why you can see them..

Quote:

You might want to check this site out. He downloads the FCC data and incorporates it into his site every so often. The power ratings are what's on the applications, not necessarily what is actually operating.

http://www.2150.com/broadcast/defaul...=Show+Stations

Quote:

From my position, TAJ comes in a lot better than ATM. I can also get JAC sometimes, but I have a lot of trouble with them.. I'm up on Mt Nittany in Lemont.

Quote:

The FCC maximization order requires that all the stations provide service over more than 80% of their market area, or risk loosing it. JAC is licensed for 1000KW and that should be more than enough for us to receive. FOX is more of a question. As slykens has said, they're more than 80 miles away, it will be diffcult to get them even when they're at full power. The fact that you can get NEP when they're only running at 100W is interesting and might bode well for us getting WWCP.
Quote:

Kathy Smith from TAJ, you can find her email elsewhere in this thread. FOX and ABC are the same operation... The chief engineer is listed on their web pages.

I suspect we just have to be patient until July for ABC, FOX and NBC. CBS are the hardcases here..

Has anyone pointed any high gain antennas towards harrisburg? There's a couple stations down there supposedly at full power.
post #56 of 3318 Old 04-12-2005, 05:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Has anyone pointed any high gain antennas towards harrisburg? There's a couple stations down there supposedly at full power. [/b]

I think most things in Harrisburg share a channel with something up here... The only one that didn't was WHP-DT on channel 4 but at 2.35 kW I couldn't bring it in.

My twin Unix 100A setup didn't pick up anything digital from Harrisburg but it taps out at channel 36 or so so I didn't try anything higher.
post #57 of 3318 Old 04-14-2005, 03:06 AM

Quote:

Has anyone pointed any high gain antennas towards harrisburg? There's a couple stations down there supposedly at full power.

I tried pointing my antenna down there yesterday and last night. I was able to pick up a snowy analog signal for WHP (CBS) at channel 21 and a better (but still snowy) signal for WITF (pbs) channel 33. My TV did not lock in on any digital signals for that area. Putting the digital channels manually did not yield any results either.

As an FYI (again I have no meter to measure signal strength), the analog channels 22 and 28 (wb/scranton) come in much clearer for me (watchable with a little snow) than the Harrisburg stations, even though Scranton is 100+ miles and Harrisburg is 60 - 70 miles away in distance.

Also I only have a UHF antenna and so I do not have the correct equipment to optimally recieve some of Harrisburg's digital stations which are located at 4.1 (WHP), 10.1 (WHTM, ABC).
post #58 of 3318 Old 04-14-2005, 03:31 AM

I have had email replies or spoken over the phone directly with several TV stations and wanted to share with the group information I received.

WTAJ:

I asked what power they would be transmitting at and when would they be passing an HDTV signal. The response of one of their engineers is as follows.

Quote:

Thanks for the interest in WTAJ-DT. We should be on the air the first of July 2005 providing the crews complete the antenna installation. At that time we will be operating at 883 kw of power. We will be transmitting a DTV signal with hopes of upgrading to a network pass-though and local up converted HDTV by next year.

WNEP:

I asked them if they are operating at full power and also if they had plans to convert the low power transmitters on Pine Grove mountain to DTV, and if so when. They replied as follows:

Quote:

WNEP-DT is operating at it's fully assigned power of 100kw. We will probably double the power to 200kw if we get FCC approval in the next few years. There is an analog channel 49 in Red Lion that prevents us from raising power now. Once they vacate 49, we will apply for a power increase.

We will be replacing the low power translators in your area with HD units but I have no timetable as to when that would happen.

The only full power HD stations in this market are us and WVIA-DT PBS (channel 41).

WPSX:

I called WPSX and spoke to one of their engineers. I told them WPSX had been off the air for a week and had come back on Monday. I also told them they did not have sound. They were unaware but verified they had no sound and said they would fix it (They did).

This engineer told me that (as some may know) they are using a distributed transmitter scheme that synchs one or more transmitter. The transmitter closest to us is on Pine Grove Mountain and is outputting 4.8 KW, the other transmitter is in Clearfield outputing approx 500 Kw soon to go upto 810 Kw. He also told me if money permits they would add 2 more transmitters to the system in Altoona and Johnstown.

He also had an interesting theory regarding WJAC (cbs) in Altoona. He speculated that they may try to eventually switch their digital signal to where their analog signal is now (channel 10) and not at 32.xx where it is at present. Evidentally a VHF digital transmitter is cheaper to run (and has greater coverage) than a UHF transmitter. This was unofficial and just conjecture. My 2 cents worth, is that would seem unlikely, since ABC out of Harrisburg (WHTM) has been assigned channel 10 as their digital channel. I would think that 2 stations so near each other on the same channel would cause interference. (??)

WJAC (NBC):

No update, just a question. The WPSX engineer told me of someone in State College who is picking this station up. What type of tricks might I try to have a better chance of getting this station. Are they at 34.1 or is it 34.2 or 34.3? My TV does not lock into this signal and I have not been able to see the signal manually even if I set my TV to 34.1 and try to step my antenna in the direction of Johnstown.

Thanks for all the help and info this forum has provided me!
post #59 of 3318 Old 04-14-2005, 06:49 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

He also had an interesting theory regarding WJAC (cbs) in Altoona. He speculated that they may try to eventually switch their digital signal to where their analog signal is now (channel 10) and not at 32.xx where it is at present. Evidentally a VHF digital transmitter is cheaper to run (and has greater coverage) than a UHF transmitter. This was unofficial and just conjecture. My 2 cents worth, is that would seem unlikely, since ABC out of Harrisburg (WHTM) has been assigned channel 10 as their digital channel. I would think that 2 stations so near each other on the same channel would cause interference. (??)

WJAC (NBC):

No update, just a question. The WPSX engineer told me of someone in State College who is picking this station up. What type of tricks might I try to have a better chance of getting this station. Are they at 34.1 or is it 34.2 or 34.3? My TV does not lock into this signal and I have not been able to see the signal manually even if I set my TV to 34.1 and try to step my antenna in the direction of Johnstown.[/b]

WTAJ does intend to return to channel 10 and has already filed objections with the FCC for their assignment of WHTM to channel 10 in Harrisburg. WTAJ seems pretty confident they will end up on channel 10. And yes, it does make tremendous sense for them to move back to 10 after the analog shutdown on a monthly operating cost basis. Unfortunately I doubt that they will upgrade to network HD passthrough until either CBS requires it or they can't compete without it. The owners of the station just don't care and money can't be the reason unless they're terrible station operators.

As for WJAC, there is some sort of wicked multipath problem here in State College with their signal. Over the winter of 2003-2004 I could receive it just fine in the evenings with an elaborate antenna setup but as soon as spring 2004 came I never could receive it reliably again. Most other people I ask about it here have the same problem. They're going to increase their transmitter power to 1 MW this spring/summer and that should make a big difference, but we'll have to wait and see to be sure. Adelphia receives it in Philipsburg and transports the MPEG stream down here on fiber to the head end for distribution.

If you're not getting a taste of the WJAC signal now my guess is that it is unlikely the 6 dB change in SNR you'll see from the 1 MW upgrade will help you.
post #60 of 3318 Old 04-14-2005, 05:52 PM

Quote:

WTAJ does intend to return to channel 10 and has already filed objections with the FCC for their assignment of WHTM to channel 10 in Harrisburg. WTAJ seems pretty confident they will end up on channel 10. And yes, it does make tremendous sense for them to move back to 10 after the analog shutdown on a monthly operating cost basis. Unfortunately I doubt that they will upgrade to network HD passthrough until either CBS requires it or they can't compete without it. The owners of the station just don't care and money can't be the reason unless they're terrible station operators.

That's very interesting. I spent some time talking to her and she really pushed the economic problems as the reason why they weren't doing anything they absolutely didn't have to with the DTV signal on channel 32.. She also pushed their perception of the lack of interest in HD from Adelphia and the Satellite providers and their belief tha there are hardly any HD sets in the DMA. Anyone have any sway with Adelphia here in town?? I would be interested to see how many subs they have for their HD package on the SC system.

I suppose If their long term goal is to eventually only occupy channel 10 with a DTV signal, then dumping a lot of money into a UHF xmitter does seem like a waste. What I don't get is the HDTV part.. They have to realize that without at least network pass-thru they're going to be at a severe disadvantage when everyone else is broadcasting HD in July.

I find this URL particularly rich.. Apparently corporate thinks we're in HD...
http://www.cbs.com/info/hdtv/hdtv_stations.shtml

I took the opportunity while I was at cbs.com to fill out a feedback form and mention that they're confused if they think they're actually in HD here.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page