Forum Jump: 

post #571 of 3334 Old 09-08-2006, 07:42 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheels4025 View Post

I live in Hollidaysburg also. How long did it take for you to get a waiver and who did you send it to? Thanks.

WJAC TV
49 Old Hickory Lane
Johnstown, PA 15904

That is the address I used. I tried to be as polite as possible and that worked so I recommend trying that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #572 of 3334 Old 09-08-2006, 08:27 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I did not realize that 1080i was harder to transmit that 720p. I am new to the forum and I am not real fluent in the terminology, but am I understanding correctly that WJAC-DT does not have the ability to transmit at a level to pass a high quality 1080i bit stream? If this is the case, what is the cause of the limitation and is there any possibility that they will improve there output.

As to the cable box, a software upgrade by comcast/tivo would be nice, however I have also found the storage capacity of the DVR to be ridiculously small especially for HD programs. This I am guessing could only be fixed with a new box with a bigger hard drive. Do all of the HD boxes from Adelphia have the same crummy drive capacity?
My box is a DCT6412 III. It has a software version of 71.44-1203, firmware 12.35. I am not sure if these are up to date or not.

Thanks again for the input.
post #573 of 3334 Old 09-09-2006, 09:26 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adman35 View Post

I did not realize that 1080i was harder to transmit that 720p. I am new to the forum and I am not real fluent in the terminology, but am I understanding correctly that WJAC-DT does not have the ability to transmit at a level to pass a high quality 1080i bit stream? If this is the case, what is the cause of the limitation and is there any possibility that they will improve there output.

WJAC has the capability to pass through 1080i at up to the full ATSC rate of ~19 Mbps. WJAC chooses to put an SD and weather subchannel on that stream taking bandwidth away from the HD stream. Assuming they have a half decent encoder it isn't a technical problem, rather, it is their choice to reduce HD bandwidth in exchange for subchannels.

Quote:

As to the cable box, a software upgrade by comcast/tivo would be nice, however I have also found the storage capacity of the DVR to be ridiculously small especially for HD programs. This I am guessing could only be fixed with a new box with a bigger hard drive. Do all of the HD boxes from Adelphia have the same crummy drive capacity?
My box is a DCT6412 III. It has a software version of 71.44-1203, firmware 12.35. I am not sure if these are up to date or not.

Thanks again for the input.

I don't know if that's up to date or not. I'm running the same version as you so I would guess that's the most recent deployed. This DVR has a 120 GB drive, I think. With HD running 6-9 GB/hr that can be eaten up pretty quick. From the cableco point of view it doesn't make a lot of sense to pay $300/ extra to get 500 or 750 GB drives to satisfy our lust for lots of storage. These DCT6412's physically support an ESATA drive but the software doesn't yet support it as there are DRM concerns that have not yet been addressed.
post #574 of 3334 Old 09-09-2006, 01:47 PM

I would be happy with 250GB and I don't think that would be a significant jump in cost. The 250GB version of a 120GB drive is more like 25-50 dollars more. I just find that after a couple of movies, my wife's shows, and a couple of sesame streets for my daughter the box is full. A single 3 hour sporting event in HD will also eat up a huge chunk of your storage space. As more and more content is available in HD this is going to become increasingly an issue.
post #575 of 3334 Old 09-09-2006, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adman35 View Post

I would be happy with 250GB and I don't think that would be a significant jump in cost. The 250GB version of a 120GB drive is more like 25-50 dollars more. I just find that after a couple of movies, my wife's shows, and a couple of sesame streets for my daughter the box is full. A single 3 hour sporting event in HD will also eat up a huge chunk of your storage space. As more and more content is available in HD this is going to become increasingly an issue.

Don't forget that there are considerations about what type of drive the STBs can support. There are power and heat constraints that make a 120GB drive workable, but might not permit a 250GB drive.

It's one thing for a person to violate the warranty (and assume the liability for a fire) and put a larger spec drive in the box. It's another thing for the manufacturer to spend the money to modify the power supply and cooling and then test and certify a larger drive in the box. I'm sure that's a lot more $$ per box than the $30 difference in the cost of the drive.
post #576 of 3334 Old 09-10-2006, 05:56 PM

Thanks for the address. Basically do you just ask them for a waiver to get hd through Directv or what do you ask? Can you do this for fox also? Does it cost anymore? Sorry for all the questions.
post #577 of 3334 Old 09-11-2006, 02:08 PM

Hi, I am glad I happened on this thread. I live just outside of State College (Julian address actually, just north towards Unionville). I have a new Sony tv with a QAM tuner and was wondering if I connect an antenna what broadcast channels might I be able to pull in? From what I gather, It may be possible to recieve:

PBS, NBC, ABC, FOX, CBS, and Religious?

I did read the initial post, but am still a bit confused as I haven't been able to find a 'basics' thread (been searching for a thread on that as well) with all the nitty gritty. If I get set up at home, I will be certain to provide feedback. Also, what is this 'waiver' I see others mention (I did search on it, but only ever see mentions of it and not an actual explanation)? Thanks!
post #578 of 3334 Old 09-11-2006, 02:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoebisch View Post

Hi, I am glad I happened on this thread. I live just outside of State College (Julian address actually, just north towards Unionville). I have a new Sony tv with a QAM tuner and was wondering if I connect an antenna what broadcast channels might I be able to pull in? From what I gather, It may be possible to recieve:

PBS, NBC, ABC, FOX, CBS, and Religious?

First thing you need to do is find out if your TV has an ATSC or 8VSB tuner. QAM is used on cable while 8VSB (ATSC) is used for over the air transmission.

I don't know what channels you could expect to receive there. You may be blocked from receiving WPSU-DT due to the ridges on both sides, you might have a chance at WJAC-DT (NBC) but I don't think you'll be successful. You may also receive WTAJ-DT but they aren't in HD yet. You won't get FOX at all, especially now that WHVL is transmitting on the same channel from Rattlesnake.

Your best bet for OTA HD will be WATM-DT, that is ABC.

You're going to need a decent antenna and probably a pre-amp while you're at it to even try to get WJAC. WATM and WTAJ should be fine with just a small yagi, however.

If you're just looking for any signal over the air then you will be able to get CBS, ABC, FOX in SD for sure, and you will have a chance at PBS. I really don't think you'll have much luck with NBC.

As to waivers, people who have DirecTV or Dish Network will ask those companies to provide them a distant HD feed from New York or LA in place of their local network. Receiving a waiver is based primarily on where you are located but some stations will also grant waivers if you communicate with them that you can't get their HD signal and only want an HD waiver.
post #579 of 3334 Old 09-12-2006, 10:14 AM

>First thing you need to do is find out if your TV has an ATSC or 8VSB tuner. QAM is used on cable while 8VSB (ATSC) is used for over the air transmission.<<br />
Sorry forgot to add the ATSC tuner is there too.

>I don't know what channels you could expect to receive there. You may be blocked from receiving WPSU-DT due to the ridges on both sides, you might have a chance at WJAC-DT (NBC) but I don't think you'll be successful. You may also receive WTAJ-DT but they aren't in HD yet. You won't get FOX at all, especially now that WHVL is transmitting on the same channel from Rattlesnake.<<br />
What is this channel you speak of on Rattlesnake? Are you referring to the 'Pike'?

>Your best bet for OTA HD will be WATM-DT, that is ABC.

You're going to need a decent antenna and probably a pre-amp while you're at it to even try to get WJAC. WATM and WTAJ should be fine with just a small yagi, however.<<br />
What does a decent setup run, ballpark? I do get cable via 'Country Cable', and it is good but would like to pick up some HD if the cost is reasonable. I have an antenna that was left by previous owners in a box, I suppose I can try that out for kicks?

>If you're just looking for any signal over the air then you will be able to get CBS, ABC, FOX in SD for sure, and you will have a chance at PBS. I really don't think you'll have much luck with NBC.<<br />
Yeah it has been years since I tried to pick anything up OTA. We do have Country Cable now, but if I set up an antenna that may be sufficient for my needs. We don't watch all that much television (we like films).

>As to waivers, people who have DirecTV or Dish Network will ask those companies to provide them a distant HD feed from New York or LA in place of their local network. Receiving a waiver is based primarily on where you are located but some stations will also grant waivers if you communicate with them that you can't get their HD signal and only want an HD waiver.<<br />
Ok thanks for the explanation.

Thanks for all the info!
post #580 of 3334 Old 09-12-2006, 12:24 PM - Thread Starter

There is a good sized radio tower off of Rattlesnake Pike towards the airport. A few radio stations and WHVL transmit from there.

If you were looking for a decent antenna arrangement with a preamp you're probably looking at about $150 or so. That would be for an 8-bay grid antenna and a Channel Master 7775 or 7777 pre-amp. What I would start with is putting up the antenna you have and see what you get. You should get WATM-DT and WTAJ-DT and you *might* be able to get WPSU-DT. WWCP-DT is extremely unlikely, and WJAC-DT may come in. Around Unionville you're at 68-69 miles from WJAC and through a lot of rough terrain. It wouldn't surprise me for it to come it but that's pushing it, imho.

Isn't Country Cable still a 330 MHz plant? Do they even have digital cable yet?
post #581 of 3334 Old 09-12-2006, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slykens View Post

There is a good sized radio tower off of Rattlesnake Pike towards the airport. A few radio stations and WHVL transmit from there.

If you were looking for a decent antenna arrangement with a preamp you're probably looking at about $150 or so. That would be for an 8-bay grid antenna and a Channel Master 7775 or 7777 pre-amp. What I would start with is putting up the antenna you have and see what you get. You should get WATM-DT and WTAJ-DT and you *might* be able to get WPSU-DT. WWCP-DT is extremely unlikely, and WJAC-DT may come in. Around Unionville you're at 68-69 miles from WJAC and through a lot of rough terrain. It wouldn't surprise me for it to come it but that's pushing it, imho.

Isn't Country Cable still a 330 MHz plant? Do they even have digital cable yet?

Ok thanks, I will probably set up and see.

As far as Country Cable goes, yeah I haven't heard any plans for them going digital. My point, I guess was that I do have cable service but am looking for progressive technology. I currently pay roughly twice of what I got in State College for less content. Such is live in the 'outback' :P
post #582 of 3334 Old 09-14-2006, 11:17 AM

Below are the links to a two-part article from Philip Swan's HD Newsletter. It's an interview with the COO of Comcast, Steve Burke, regarding the company's overall plans with HD heading into 2007.

While certainly not specific to the State College market, it contains some answers to some of the nagging questions some of us have have had about Comcast's committment to HD programming.

I know I found it interesting:

Part 1: http://www.tvpredictions.com/burke091306.htm
Part 2: http://www.tvpredictions.com/nextburke091306.htm

PS. I find Phil Swan's tvpredictions.com newsletter and site valuable as a resource and entertainment, too!
post #583 of 3334 Old 09-14-2006, 03:04 PM - Thread Starter

What is interesting in those articles is that he makes a point to state that Comcast doesn't do anything with the stream they receive from the networks and that DirecTV does.

I would assume that means that Comcast will continue to pass through unmolested streams from content providers in the future. While some have suspected that Comcast intends to down-rez or reencode in the future because they have not advertised on this point yet this quote would lead me to think they realize it is a competitive advantage but are waiting for either HD to be more widespread or to see how Spaceway affects DirecTV's offerings.
post #584 of 3334 Old 09-14-2006, 08:46 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Curious, does anyone know the situation with ever getting the new CW station on HD? I have DirecTV and get the station via the locals satellite, but it appears to be from somewhere in Florida. If its a distant feed anyways will DirecTV be adding a DNS HD station like they do for the other networks? Is there any chance of a local broadcast of this network OTA in HD? Just thought I'd ask since there really hasn't been much discussion about it.
post #585 of 3334 Old 09-15-2006, 06:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattbooty View Post

Curious, does anyone know the situation with ever getting the new CW station on HD? I have DirecTV and get the station via the locals satellite, but it appears to be from somewhere in Florida. If its a distant feed anyways will DirecTV be adding a DNS HD station like they do for the other networks? Is there any chance of a local broadcast of this network OTA in HD? Just thought I'd ask since there really hasn't been much discussion about it.

Our "local" CW station is WPCW (analog 19, digital 49) formerly of Johnstown, now licenced to Jeannette (south of Pittsburgh). They were originally allotted channel 30, but were allowed to change to 49 and last May applied for a construction permit. As of this date, the CP app is still in the hands of the FCC. Once they are given the go ahead, they will make use of an existing transmitter site located between Monroeville and McKeesport with a power of about 437KW, making OTA reception in the Johnstown area a hit and miss thing. Getting them in State College OTA would be something of a miracle.

Regarding satellite coverage, you might want to check and see if WPIX in New York is available to you (it might be available on the national bird). They have made the transition from WB to the CW.

ÂOne of the few good things about modern times: If you die horribly on television, you will not have died in vain. You will have entertained us.Â
- Kurt Vonnegut
-0-
post #586 of 3334 Old 09-18-2006, 11:14 AM
Advanced Member

What MAY portend good news on the HD front appears on WTAJ's web site:
http://www.wtajtv.com/aboutus/technical/3701691.html
[I]We are broadcasting full power DTV on channel 32. We are planning to pass the CBS network HDTV in the near future and up-convert our local programming. Please check back for our on-air date!

Story Created: Aug 21, 2006 at 9:05 PM EST
[/i]

It's not much, but offers a small amount of optimism to counter the concerns expressed on this forum and elsewhere when the sale to Nexstar was recently announced.

(OTOH, For now, I'll continue to count on my KDKA-HD feed from Atlantic Broadband for my CBS-HD needs.)

ÂOne of the few good things about modern times: If you die horribly on television, you will not have died in vain. You will have entertained us.Â
- Kurt Vonnegut
-0-
post #587 of 3334 Old 09-18-2006, 12:44 PM
Advanced Member

Interesting. Hope it comes to fruition soon. We are missing a ton of good football in HD with each passing weekend.
post #588 of 3334 Old 09-18-2006, 07:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA_MainyYak View Post

Story Created: Aug 21, 2006 at 9:05 PM EST

I think this is the result of a web site redesign.

Looks like all of the parts of the website are dated from Aug 20-Sep 1 or so.

I wish it was reason for hope but I think we'll be very lucky if we get it before the Superbowl.
post #589 of 3334 Old 09-19-2006, 08:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slykens View Post

I think this is the result of a web site redesign.

Looks like all of the parts of the website are dated from Aug 20-Sep 1 or so.

I wish it was reason for hope but I think we'll be very lucky if we get it before the Superbowl.

*sigh* I suspect you are correct. I visit their site regularly and had not previously noticed the Technical section [- seems most broadcasters do not appear eager to promote the digital conversion -] and I was surprised to see any mention of HD on the site.

Apologies to all if this was the false alarm it appears to be.

- Kurt Vonnegut
-0-
post #590 of 3334 Old 09-19-2006, 08:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by golferadam View Post

Interesting. Hope it comes to fruition soon. We are missing a ton of good football in HD with each passing weekend.

Although it must be mentioned - CBS is dragging feet, committing to only 3 HD games each Sunday, the rest are in SD. (see related post: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&&#post7881566)

- Kurt Vonnegut
-0-
post #591 of 3334 Old 09-21-2006, 05:25 AM

I emailed Kathy Smith of WTAJ, and the news was not good. She said they were on track to be up in time for the Super Bowl until the station was sold. If the new ownership makes it a priority they could possibly broadcast the Super Bowl in HD. They are doing nothing until the new corporate owners take over in November.

I've also contacted her recently about CBS HD waivers, and she says she can not approve mine because I get a strong analog signal. She says this is the law, but I'm not sure I agree with her interpretation.
post #592 of 3334 Old 09-21-2006, 04:40 PM

I'm going to have a conniption if we don't get Food TV HD sometime soon in State College. I've lost track of time-- are we Comcast yet? Either way, I'm really tiring of the same old HD programming.

[/end rant]
post #593 of 3334 Old 09-22-2006, 05:17 AM
Advanced Member

My latest bill showed up on my credit card statement as Comcast but the trucks still say Adelphia.
post #594 of 3334 Old 09-22-2006, 10:21 AM

I just had Adelphia at the house yesterday for a signal strength issue. The guys told me that they officially become Comcast in October (new truck logos, uniform, etc.).

I asked them about additional HD channels and all they have are rumors, like the rest of us, that Comcast is looking to add several additional HD channels. They mentioned FOX, in particular.

The techs made some mods and told me that I now had excellent signal at my HD DVR and should have no issues with picture quality (noise, pixellation,etc.). However, as we checked the HD channels, ABC (ch. 723 in State College) exhibited freezes and pixellation. The techs said it should have nothing to do with signal strength. The only cause they could formulate was that it was the feed from the station. I think it is a bit telling that they use this channel to check HD quality and channel 5, its corresponding SD channel to check for SD picture quality. Does anyone else have problems with these channels? Is this a know issue?

Thanks.
post #595 of 3334 Old 09-22-2006, 02:17 PM

mgust, i get the same thing on 723.

Does anyone get lines on the analog channels (3-67) with adelphia.
post #596 of 3334 Old 09-22-2006, 03:15 PM

Another witness regarding the bad ABC-HD channel (723). Parts of Grey's Anatomy were almost unwatchable last night! Sometimes it even froze for some seconds.

Good news about the Comcast turnover then. Hopefully that means that we will see something as customers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgust View Post

I just had Adelphia at the house yesterday for a signal strength issue. The guys told me that they officially become Comcast in October (new truck logos, uniform, etc.).

I asked them about additional HD channels and all they have are rumors, like the rest of us, that Comcast is looking to add several additional HD channels. They mentioned FOX, in particular.

The techs made some mods and told me that I now had excellent signal at my HD DVR and should have no issues with picture quality (noise, pixellation,etc.). However, as we checked the HD channels, ABC (ch. 723 in State College) exhibited freezes and pixellation. The techs said it should have nothing to do with signal strength. The only cause they could formulate was that it was the feed from the station. I think it is a bit telling that they use this channel to check HD quality and channel 5, its corresponding SD channel to check for SD picture quality. Does anyone else have problems with these channels? Is this a know issue?

Thanks.

post #597 of 3334 Old 09-23-2006, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danieljw View Post

Another witness regarding the bad ABC-HD channel (723). Parts of Grey's Anatomy were almost unwatchable last night! Sometimes it even froze for some seconds.

Good news about the Comcast turnover then. Hopefully that means that we will see something as customers.

I receive WATM-HD over the air with the same problem. The antenna signal strength is almost at maximum, but the picture is breaking up. I don't know what's going on, but it's very annoying! I hate to say it, but I think you have to let Adelphia/Comcast off the hook this time.
post #598 of 3334 Old 09-24-2006, 12:01 PM
Advanced Member

I did an interesting experiment last night during the ND-Michigan State game. I subscribe to Adelphia cable and my apartment is also wired for D&E Communications (we get the expanded basic for free). I can pick up WATM-DT in the clear over the D&E line using the built-in QAM tuner in my Sony HDTV. I use the Motorola DCT6412 from Adelphia to get ABC-HD. I was comparing the two last night. I had a ton of audio dropouts and picture breakups with Adelphia, but the D&E feed was fine except for a few minimal picture breakups. It was very interesting. I am not sure if it was the Motorola box that was responsible or something on the Adelphia end when they get the WATM-DT feed.
post #599 of 3334 Old 09-25-2006, 12:32 AM

That is interesting, golferadam.

Though I think I agree with dcbird on this one. I only get these problems with ABC HD, and other than that, Adelphia HD is pretty darn good, despite somewhat minimal programming. So yeah, based on your observations as well, I'd say it is something out of Adelphia's hands.
post #600 of 3334 Old 09-25-2006, 09:22 AM
Advanced Member

I agree that Adelphia is good with the other channels, but ABC has some trouble. What I have observed is that there is some problem with ABC but it appears to be exacerbated by either Adelphia or the Motorola box. In my next test I will put my OTA antenna up and see how things compare. It seems like these issues with ABC only started recently. I don't really recall these issues before about a week or so ago.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page