Forum Jump: 

post #631 of 3335 Old 10-08-2006, 03:46 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmjoe View Post

Mine is running software version 71.44-1203 and firmware 12.35, which is what I thought it had before. Still stuck with the mute bug I guess. The only change I noticed was the Comcast logos (and now I'm even seeing Comcast ads).

Aaarrrgh ... I spoke too soon. They got rid of the Favorites icon on the quick menu. I used that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 3335 Old 10-08-2006, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyiota View Post

After thinking about it and talking with the PMs at various stations, I doubt they grant -DT waviers just because "they don't broadcast in HD".

Any idea then why the same ownership will grant me a waiver for WATM-ABC-HD-Ch8-2 and not grant me a waiver for WWCP-FOX-HD-Ch 8-1?

Fred
post #633 of 3335 Old 10-08-2006, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhschellenberg View Post

Any idea then why the same ownership will grant me a waiver for WATM-ABC-HD-Ch8-2 and not grant me a waiver for WWCP-FOX-HD-Ch 8-1?

Because their signal strength models say you can receive channel 29 (WWCP-DT) OTA with an antenna. Since channel 29 is WWCP-DT's primary source, you are considered"served" and don't qualify for DNS.

Since channel 24 is WATM-DT and is transmitted from Wopsy, the models probably show a low signal strength at your location, so you're "unserved" and you can get the DNS version of ABC-DT, which happens to be HD.

Remember, the law doesn't care about HD, just Digital TV. We all want to believe that we're getting HD waviers, but in the eye of the law, we're just getting "digital tv". It's HD because the NY affiliates actually care enough about the quality of their content to put some money into the transmission infrastructure to support HD..

Since the same management runs both stations and knows the challenges of TV reception in this topography, they provide a subchannel of WWCP-TV on 24 and a subchannel of WATM-TV on 29.

isn't that just lovely?
post #634 of 3335 Old 10-09-2006, 07:14 AM

Quote:

Because their signal strength models say you can receive channel 29 (WWCP-DT) OTA with an antenna. Since channel 29 is WWCP-DT's primary source, you are considered"served" and don't qualify for DNS.

Since channel 24 is WATM-DT and is transmitted from Wopsy, the models probably show a low signal strength at your location, so you're "unserved" and you can get the DNS version of ABC-DT, which happens to be HD.

>

But .... , back in 1998 when I moved back to the area with D* , the signal strength models only allowed me the CBS waiver. No waiver for NBC of course, no waiver for ABC, and no waiver for FOX. Just trying to understand what is going on with my only getting a waiver for ABC-HD-CH86 (I do not get ABC-SD-Ch 386.) One other bit of info - I had to subscribe to LIL even though I don't have the required second dish. I am getting WWCP-SD-Ch8.1 and WATM-SD-Ch8.2 OTA from the Laurel Ridge site OTA.

Fred
post #635 of 3335 Old 10-09-2006, 12:52 PM

Sorry to now jump in but I have been reading about getting waivers for FOX HD and NBC HD. If I wanted to get waivers for these two stations, who do I sent a letter to and what do you say in the letter to get them. I now currently have Directv. I can get ABC OTA HD. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
post #636 of 3335 Old 10-09-2006, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheels4025 View Post

Sorry to now jump in but I have been reading about getting waivers for FOX HD and NBC HD. If I wanted to get waivers for these two stations, who do I sent a letter to and what do you say in the letter to get them. I now currently have Directv. I can get ABC OTA HD. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

The best place to start is here:
http://directvdnseligibility.decisio...dressForm.aspx

When I called back in March, Directv activated FOX and NBC within a week. Good Luck!

This was the result for my location:

Digital (HD) Distant Network Service
Network Affiliate Status
ABC WATM-DT Grade B (moderate signal)
WNEP-DT Grade B (moderate signal)
CBS WTAJ-DT Grade A (strong signal)
FOX Eligible
NBC Eligible

CURRENT CUSTOMERS
If you currently have DIRECTV® service, and are eligible for DNS and want to add this service to your programming package, call 1-800-531-5000. When you call, you'll also find out how to apply for a waiver. If eligible, a cost of $1.50 per month for each DNS channel will be added to your current programming package.
post #637 of 3335 Old 10-09-2006, 07:19 PM

This is what I got. If I want to get NBC I have to get a waiver directly from them correct? I can just call Directv and get FOX? Thank you.

Network Affiliate Status
ABC WATM-DT Grade A (strong signal)
FOX Eligible
NBC WJAC-DT Grade B (moderate signal)
post #638 of 3335 Old 10-09-2006, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheels4025 View Post

This is what I got. If I want to get NBC I have to get a waiver directly from them correct? I can just call Directv and get FOX? Thank you.

Network Affiliate Status
ABC WATM-DT Grade A (strong signal)
FOX Eligible
NBC WJAC-DT Grade B (moderate signal)

Not exactly. You still must apply for the waiver for NBC through Directv. What some on this forum have suggested is that it doesn't hurt to check with the station manager directly to try and pave the way. I have no personal experience with WJAC, but WTAJ's programming manager politely shot me down based on a strong (albeit SD) signal.

I haven't had time to digest the forty page FCC document referenced by tinyiota, but I believe the local station can still allow provide a waiver on a case by case basis.

The way I understand it is the station has 30 days to accept or reject the request made on your behalf. A lack of response is considered tacit approval.
post #639 of 3335 Old 10-09-2006, 08:49 PM
Advanced Member

Just to be clear, waivers only apply to D*, correct? Can I get a waiver for one of my locals I get with Comcast?
post #640 of 3335 Old 10-09-2006, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhschellenberg View Post

But .... , back in 1998 when I moved back to the area with D* , the signal strength models only allowed me the CBS waiver. No waiver for NBC of course, no waiver for ABC, and no waiver for FOX. Just trying to understand what is going on with my only getting a waiver for ABC-HD-CH86 (I do not get ABC-SD-Ch 386.) One other bit of info - I had to subscribe to LIL even though I don't have the required second dish. I am getting WWCP-SD-Ch8.1 and WATM-SD-Ch8.2 OTA from the Laurel Ridge site OTA.

I'm not sure about that.
I would speculate: The laws have changed quite a bit since '99, including the specified models.. Also, for a while, legally there was no rule set for any type of waviers, so there was no incentive for the TV stations to play ball. They could pretty much refuse unconditionally, especially when D* lost it's court battles over DNS.
post #641 of 3335 Old 10-13-2006, 11:42 AM

For my first post I offer what I have been told about Peak Media's plans for Fox.
At a sales meeting for Peak staff they were informed that the State College Translator will be shut down and the main digital tower will begin to pass HD OTA soon.

Second, a question for Slyken. You have said Harrisburg channels including 4 are a lost cause. But, have you had any luck with Scranton or Williamsport? I'm new so I'm full of wonder and eventhough it not digital I think it would be cool to try for channel 8 out of Lancaster. Channel 8 still has signs as far as Bellefonte so they must have broadcast 1.21 gigawatts back in the day.
post #642 of 3335 Old 10-13-2006, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdragon View Post

For my first post I offer what I have been told about Peak Media's plans for Fox.
At a sales meeting for Peak staff they were informed that the State College Translator will be shut down and the main digital tower will begin to pass HD OTA soon.

It will be interesting to see how they fulfill their FCC coverage requirements with just the transmitter in Ligonier. It would be unfortunate if the FCC allowed the SD subchannel on 24 to count as "coverage" here.

Quote:

Second, a question for Slyken. You have said Harrisburg channels including 4 are a lost cause. But, have you had any luck with Scranton or Williamsport? I'm new so I'm full of wonder and eventhough it not digital I think it would be cool to try for channel 8 out of Lancaster. Channel 8 still has signs as far as Bellefonte so they must have broadcast 1.21 gigawatts back in the day.

If you read back through the thread, there are reports of people being able to tune some of the wilkes-barre/scranton stations. I doubt that any of the HBG stations would be viable due to the topography and distance between here and there.
post #643 of 3335 Old 10-13-2006, 10:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdragon View Post

As to FOX my understanding is that the plan was at some point to use an on-channel booster on 8 post transition.

As for Harrisburg, in State College we used to have WHTM on cable, like 20 years ago, before WATM became our ABC affiliate. It is possible to receive WGAL over the air but I wouldn't say the picture is great. Receiving WHP-DT on channel 4 would be very troublesome and when I had a big VHF antenna up I couldn't do it. They transmit with something like 2 kilowatts and the terrain is not very friendly. We are only 59 miles from the transmitter but there are too many factors working against it.

There are some people who report receiving Scranton channels OTA but I wouldn't think it would be 100% as it is likely somewhat tied to atmospheric conditions and your location. UHF is typically good for up to 70 miles. Obviously that number is not hard and fast, I've seen PSIP data from channel 28 in Memphis, TN at my house.
post #644 of 3335 Old 10-14-2006, 01:46 PM

WATM isn't passing the HD signal for the Ohio State-Michigan State game, at least I'm not getting HD on 723 in State College Comcast.

I think it's because of that stupid 23 logo they put up on their screen....

I hope this doesn't affect the Penn State game tonight!
post #645 of 3335 Old 10-15-2006, 01:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanPSUpa View Post

I hope this doesn't affect the Penn State game tonight!

Trust me, I was on the sidelines and it didn't look any better in real life than it did in HD or SD. There's only so much technology can do.
post #646 of 3335 Old 10-15-2006, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slykens View Post

Trust me, I was on the sidelines and it didn't look any better in real life than it did in HD or SD. There's only so much technology can do.

I hear that..

Man, it was frigid.. Of course, I didn't qute have enough cold weather gear..
post #647 of 3335 Old 10-16-2006, 08:22 AM

That makes at least three of us at that game, I was prepared and comfortable - except for the "crushed" sensation from the bundled-up crowd "and" the game.

Fred
post #648 of 3335 Old 10-17-2006, 06:19 AM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 15
That'll make 4 of us then. I didn't think it got cold until the 4th Quarter. I'm glad I didn't TiVo the game.
post #649 of 3335 Old 10-18-2006, 06:52 AM

I currently have expanded basic cable with COMCAST, and I am thinking of upgrading my service to get the pay-for HD channels. I have no interest in the "digital" lineup but do want the ESPN/ESPN-2 HD service. I am already recieving the "free" HD channels (NBC, ABC, PBS) off of cable (as well as over the air via antenna).

My TV is a Sony model KDF-50WE655 (LCD projection HD set) with a built in Digital/HD tuner and is cable-card ready. Comcast tells me that I can upgrade to this service for $7.95/Mo, but they tell me that the HD picture quality will be inferior with the cable card. They suggest that I use their HD set top box for an extra $8.95/mo.

Am I being sold a line of goods? Is the cable card providing less throughput? Is the cable card a tuner or is it just de-encryting the signal to allow the TV tuner to see the signal non-scambled? My picture quality for HD is great using the TV's tuner so I don't see how using the cable card would degrade the HD signal (It's digital, you either get the data, or you don't.... and if you don't you see blocks or nothing at all)

Any help regarding this would be appreciated.

Thanks.

BTW - still recieving WNEP-HD from WB/SCR with solid signal. Can occasionally get FOX-56-DT also. On Altoona/J-Town side, receive PBS (3 sub channels), ABC/FOX (3 sub channels), CBS (1 sub channel), WKBS(Relious, 1 sub channel), and once in a blue moon NBC (3 sub channels). Growing old waiting for CBS and FOX to switch to HD.
post #650 of 3335 Old 10-18-2006, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by winkydink View Post

Any help regarding this would be appreciated.

I've seen cablecards and cable HD STBs.. both looked the same to me. From a technical perspective, you are correct, the bitstream is the same until it hits the decoder in your tuner. The only thing between the tuner and your TV that will affect quality is the type of connection. If it's digital (DVI, HDMI) then despite what monster cable says, there should be no loss of quality. If it's analog (component) then there is a slim chance the cable could affect the signal quality. In any case, I can't imagine how the cable card would be any better or worse than an STB. I've seen all 3 types of connections from various boxes and they all look the same to me.

I suppose they could argue that the decoder in their STB is 'better' than your TV at doing decoding and mangling of the picture to display on your TV. I have a hard time believing that, though, because it seems like all the manufacturers are using the same ATSC/QAM tuner chipsets from Broadcom or Samsung.

I think the Comcast definition of "inferior" is the inferior number of extra services they can sell you on the cablecard.
Since the cablecard is one way, you won't be able to do pay-per-view and VOD, which seems like a much more logical reason why they're pushing the STB.

Quote:

BTW - still recieving WNEP-HD from WB/SCR with solid signal. Can occasionally get FOX-56-DT also. On Altoona/J-Town side, receive PBS (3 sub channels), ABC/FOX (3 sub channels), CBS (1 sub channel), WKBS(Relious, 1 sub channel), and once in a blue moon NBC (3 sub channels). Growing old waiting for CBS and FOX to switch to HD.

56 recently had transmitter and antenna issues. They just replaced both and are now reported to be running at their full rated power. I thought they went HD at the same time, but maybe not..
post #651 of 3335 Old 10-18-2006, 11:34 AM

Quote:

56 recently had transmitter and antenna issues. They just replaced both and are now reported to be running at their full rated power. I thought they went HD at the same time, but maybe not..

Fox 56 has been broadcasting in HD for some time now (They are on UHF ch 45). 56.1 (45.3) is Fox-HD, 56.2 is WB/SC PAX (SD), and 56.3 is CW (in SD).
post #652 of 3335 Old 10-18-2006, 11:38 AM

My TV has 2 tuners (One HD/Digital and one NTSC). I can watch 2 stations side by side as long as one of the stations is anolog. I have read that picture in picture will not work with a cable card. Does any one know if this is true.

Is this only true if I want to view 2 encoded stations simultaneously or is this for any 2 stations. Dual pictures is a feature that I would not want to lose.

Thanks.
post #653 of 3335 Old 10-18-2006, 03:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by winkydink View Post

My TV has 2 tuners (One HD/Digital and one NTSC). I can watch 2 stations side by side as long as one of the stations is anolog. I have read that picture in picture will not work with a cable card. Does any one know if this is true.

Is this only true if I want to view 2 encoded stations simultaneously or is this for any 2 stations. Dual pictures is a feature that I would not want to lose.

Cablecard version 2 supports decoding multiple streams. The current implementation is limited to one stream per card.

Unless your TV has two Cablecard slots (ala the coming HD-Tivo for cable) your PIP is likely limited as it is now, one digital and one analog at a time, unless it is a limitation of your television that it cannot do it at all with a Cablecard in place.

The dual-tuner DVR from Comcast won't do dual digital PIP either so its not like the $9 equipment will do anything more for you other than DVR. If Comcast is charging $8/mo for Cablecard (what a rip!) then you might as well get the DVR. As far as picture the only real difference will be how your TVs decoder and scaler works versus the decoder and scaler in the DVR.
post #654 of 3335 Old 10-18-2006, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slykens View Post

Unless your TV has two Cablecard slots (ala the coming HD-Tivo for cable) your PIP is likely limited as it is now, one digital and one analog at a time, unless it is a limitation of your television that it cannot do it at all with a Cablecard in place.

ObNit:

The new CableCARD HD tivo is available... If you have a tivo with an existing lifetime sub, you can "move" your sub to a new HD Tivo.

http://www.tivo.com/2.0.boxdetails.asp?box=series3HDDVR

now, if comcast just had NFL Sunday Ticket.
post #655 of 3335 Old 10-19-2006, 09:23 PM

Okay, was anybody else's 723-WATM ABC-HD out for all of Thursday night? Or was it just me?
post #656 of 3335 Old 10-20-2006, 07:49 AM

For awhile now I have been having a lot of audio dropouts
and pixelization on KDKA CBS HD on Atlantic Broadband
here is Hollidaysburg.

Has anyone else been having this problem? Does not happen
on the other HD channels.

Am wondering if it is my STB or the feed from KDKA?????

TV is a Sony KDF46E2000 - STB is a SA8300HD with DVR.
post #657 of 3335 Old 10-20-2006, 11:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by danieljw View Post

Okay, was anybody else's 723-WATM ABC-HD out for all of Thursday night? Or was it just me?

Had same problem. Seems fine now (as of 10/20/2006 at 1pm EDT).
post #658 of 3335 Old 10-20-2006, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kd3yt View Post

For awhile now I have been having a lot of audio dropouts
and pixelization on KDKA CBS HD on Atlantic Broadband
here is Hollidaysburg.

Has anyone else been having this problem? Does not happen
on the other HD channels.

Am wondering if it is my STB or the feed from KDKA?????

TV is a Sony KDF46E2000 - STB is a SA8300HD with DVR.

I posted about this problem several months ago (I'm also on ABB with the SA8300HD box), and got no feedback from the forum. [Post #519 on page 18.]Apparently, there aren't too many of us ABB-subscribers here. I get the dropouts, frozen picture and pixilization mainly on the CBS and Fox HD channels.

I called the cable company about it and one of their installers came out. He watched a couple of my recordings and said the problem is not with either my TV or cable box, but with the HD feed. He said the CBS problem is due to the HD signal having to bounce up and back from KDKA in Pittsburgh. Any bad weather or atmospheric problems between here and there messes up the signal. Until Channel 10 broadcasts in HD, we're stuck with KDKA and the signal problem. He said the Fox problem is due to problems with the local Fox station, and ABB is simply re-transmitting the fox signal. He said ABB is well aware of problems with both HD channels but there is no solution at this time.

So, to summarize, based on what I've been told and experienced, there is probably no problem with your DVR, as mine does the same thing. There is also apparently no solution at this time. It wouldn't hurt to call ABB and complain so that they are aware of the dissatisfaction.
post #659 of 3335 Old 10-20-2006, 06:54 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Is anyone else getting any flickering and pixelation on ABC OTA? I have been most of this week and it doesn't seem to be my signal, strength is good. I got a lot of it during Lost, it was almost unwatchable.
post #660 of 3335 Old 10-22-2006, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattbooty View Post

Is anyone else getting any flickering and pixelation on ABC OTA? I have been most of this week and it doesn't seem to be my signal, strength is good. I got a lot of it during Lost, it was almost unwatchable.

Yeah, It's been happening off and on to me today. Looks like it's just ABC-HD, not the other SD subchannels on channel 24.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page